PDA

View Full Version : Orchid Wrap Bun- Variation for shorter hair- with video and directions

chloeishere
November 19th, 2008, 08:43 PM
Hi! I cannot take full credit for this bun. Basically, because I can't follow directions, I tried doing manderly's new bun (the Gibson Twist, seen here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=15007)), and ended up with a completely different style. But one that I like a lot! The directions are pretty similar to manderly's bun, so that's why I don't feel I deserve credit for coming up with it on my own.

This a very secure wrap bun that requires no twisting-- I can do it, any my hair is around 23" or so (I don't think you'd be able to go shorter than this, unless your hair is thinner. Thicker hair will probably have to wait for longer). Hopefully it isn't the same as another wrap bun-- it's been so long since I've tried any of them, I can't remember all the variations. In the event that this isn't new, I apologize-- but please enjoy the video, and I hope it helps!

I've personally found that it's very good for people who pull their hair straight back, and like a smooth look. The hair stays nicely in place, and it can be done tight enough to keep the hair from bulging weirdly. I do it with a part at work, and it'll probably look a bit more smooth once I have more length to fool around with.

Video is here! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftpvK9OA1wI) (I included music so it wasn't just a droning sound in the background, but the music is kind of loud!). It took me, like ten times to get the video to actually be useful (not too low, no hands in the way, my face not in the frame, etc, etc), so my hair looks kind of messy and bleh. It was originally nicely combed, I swear!

Written directions (but the video is worth a thousand words, which is about how many I am taking to describe it! :p):
Make a ponytail, do not secure with an elastic.
Place a single stick under the ponytail, parallel to the floor (I use my left hand, and orient the top {non-pointy-end} of the stick to the left).
Pull pony down over stick, then up and behind the {pointy} end of the stick.
Rotate stick clockwise until the top is on the opposite side from where it started (for me, this is on the right). Rotate in the direction that makes the twist tighter, not looser, if you can't figure out what direction to go.
Pull the tail (it should still be poking out of the top) over the top, towards the pointy end side (this is on my left), and secure it behind the stick. I think, for longer hair, you may simply be able to coil your hair around the twisted bun several times, and still use this style-- but I only have enough hair to tuck my remaining tail under the stick. You need a few extra inches left, or the bun will just fall out.
Now point the pointy end towards your scalp, and stab it through you scalp hair and bun. It should end up with the topper on the same side that it originally started on-- for me, it's on the left. You may need to leave a little extra room to move initially.
Before coming out the other side with the pointy end, get the looser loop of hair that will be on the top, and pull it towards the side where the pointy end will come out, preferably with the stick poking out above some of the hair. This anchors the style really well, and gives it the knotted, dimensional, multi-layered twisty look.Here's a few pictures of this style. I prefer using a thin stick for this style, because it's pretty tight-- a thin metal stick is very nice, in my opinion. It can also be done nicely with a fork, and probably the longer your hair is, the more comfortable you will be doing it loosely, with a thicker stick or fork.

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k152/chloeishere/IMG_5199c.jpg
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k152/chloeishere/IMG_5179c.jpg
With a lopside Baerreis Ursula:
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k152/chloeishere/IMG_5207c.jpg

manderly
November 19th, 2008, 08:47 PM
I love it! Love the name as well. I will definitely have to try this, though it might be hard for me to not automatically start making my twist :D

Akiko
November 19th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Great video. I am right handed and could not figure out how to do it the other way around.:brickwall

So I tried just like you did in the video. Works great. Secure and comfortable. Thank you!

chloeishere
November 19th, 2008, 08:54 PM
Yay! :D :D

Thank you so much, manderly, I'm glad you like it!

Akiko, I'm glad it's working for you, too! I think one of the reasons I screwed up manderly's bun is because I'm left handed, and I have trouble converting the directions to the other direction-- but hey, it worked out okay!

Calanthe
November 19th, 2008, 10:44 PM
Ah, a new bun. It looks very nice - I'm going to try this one out. And thanks for the video, that helps a lot (I'm not so good with written instructions :rolleyes:).

Vitalai
November 19th, 2008, 11:00 PM
This is a pretty bun! You have a gorgeous hair color, by the way.

I will have to wait for my hair to grow, but have added this to my favorites.

Ryanne
November 19th, 2008, 11:27 PM
It looks very nice, I'll try it when I have time.

serious
November 20th, 2008, 12:28 AM
Thank you, Chloeishere, this is the great video!

I am still learning this hairstick thing and I can not do much because my hair is still short.But I have tried this one, and it worked !

I need just a few more inches and it will be perfect!
Thank you,again!

Payal80
November 20th, 2008, 01:01 AM
looks cool & cute. tried it but failed need more hairs

Elainehali
November 20th, 2008, 10:42 AM
that's a neat varation. I guess for longer hair you can just wrap it around the base a few more times.

Islandgrrl
November 20th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Wow, that's really pretty. I've tried it about a dozen times so far and I'm really, truly convinced I'm the Queen of the Hair Dorks. :rolleyes:

birthmarkie
November 20th, 2008, 11:07 AM
Thank you so much! I have been desperate for a new bun and this one is great! I think it looks really cute. I just tried it and it works! :bowtome:

TheKnight'sLady
November 20th, 2008, 02:05 PM
That is a really cool looking bun! I can't wait to try it :)

Anje
November 20th, 2008, 02:27 PM
I think that's an Orchid Wrap bun, but you turn the stick farther than I do. I do this bun at least weekly, but I have to wind my length around the loop a few times. The only difference is that it normally starts with the stick above the ponytail, and the hair looped over it.

I agree -- very secure untwisted bun (only thing that will hold on slippery days), and it happens to fall out magnificently when you yank the stick, unlike so many buns which slowly uncoil.

ETA: See ajr's directions (via Aine) here. (http://chatter.thebeautybottle.com/showthread.php?t=1325)

jojo
November 20th, 2008, 04:49 PM
Thats neat..now where did i put my hair sticks?

chloeishere
November 20th, 2008, 06:04 PM
I think that's an Orchid Wrap bun, but you turn the stick farther than I do. I do this bun at least weekly, but I have to wind my length around the loop a few times. The only difference is that it normally starts with the stick above the ponytail, and the hair looped over it.

I agree -- very secure untwisted bun (only thing that will hold on slippery days), and it happens to fall out magnificently when you yank the stick, unlike so many buns which slowly uncoil.

ETA: See ajr's directions (via Aine) here. (http://chatter.thebeautybottle.com/showthread.php?t=1325)

I think you are right-- I just did it, and it looks very similar (except way messier, because the one I posted works better, IMO, for shorter hair).

I'm going to ask a mod to change the title to reflect the right bun. I do hope that the video is useful for people, though!

Thanks for all the lovely comments. :flowers:

rhosyn_du
November 20th, 2008, 06:33 PM
Gah. I keep getting to the point where I'm supposed to invert the stick and insert it, and no matter how much slack I've left at the scalp, it feels like my stick is about to snap as before I've inverted it even halfway. I can't figure out if I'm doing something wrong or if my hair is just too thick. :P

It's a lovely but, though. Thank you for sharing it!

chloeishere
November 20th, 2008, 07:27 PM
It is a very tight fit, at that point in the style. I've felt that way too, but generally I move the stick in (towards the scalp) and away (from the scalp) as I'm inserting, sort of wiggling it around a bit. It can lower the torque on the stick enough that it doesn't feel like a breaking hazard, but of course be careful. I've really only done this style tightly with dymondwood or metal sticks (because they are stronger), I'd hate to break a wood one! That's another reason that I prefer thin sticks for this style, too.

birthmarkie
November 20th, 2008, 08:04 PM
Here's mine from tonight. The little loop at the bottom was unintentional, but I kind of like it :)

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd303/birthmarkie/000_2123.jpg

Bene
November 20th, 2008, 09:22 PM
oh wow, just tried this, it holds up really really well. thank you!

sahiba
November 21st, 2008, 03:41 AM
Nice video and lovely hair.

birthmarkie
November 29th, 2008, 12:05 PM
I started doing this bun by wrapping my hair around my finger instead of my stick and only inserting the stick as the last step. It makes for a less tight bun. It also works with a fork.

chloeishere
November 29th, 2008, 07:07 PM
I just tried that, birthmarkie! Great idea!

I really thought my fingers were too stubby for that (small hands, small head :p) but it worked really well!

Thing is... my hair isn't even that long, and this method produced a huge bun. (Messy too, but I blame that on layers... man, the day I actually cut off my layers, I'm going to be in trouble-- no excuse for how messy my buns always look!)
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k152/chloeishere/IMG_5402c.jpg
That's done with a three prong speharb fork. :D Gives me even more toys that I can do this style with-- thank you, birthmarkie!

basketcase413
November 29th, 2008, 09:29 PM
Wow! Can't wait to get home and try this tomorrow. I don't dare take my hair down to experiment while at work.....that's just asking for an emergency call to come in. I have high hopes that this will be the bun I can do since cutting off all my uneven, unhealthy ends and actually be able to use my sticks right now! Thanks for the suggestion....I'll let you know how it works with my now mid-shoulder (would that be APL?) length hair.

little_acorn
August 12th, 2009, 12:31 AM
Thank you for the instructions and the video! I've tried this before and hadn't quite got there - I've now watched the video and can do it :cheese:

swirlytresses
August 13th, 2009, 09:42 AM
I will have to try this. Thanks. :)

luckypenny
August 13th, 2009, 10:07 AM
I loved this video!!!! I favorited it :) I need to get me some hair sticks!

Vermelha
August 13th, 2009, 10:09 AM
Thanks for posting this! I can't wait til I get a few more inches to do this one! So eager!

amaiaisabella
August 13th, 2009, 10:29 AM
Works good for me (my hair is 22"), though my bun is sadly quite small. Still a great and secure style, though!