PDA

View Full Version : Lifestyle & Hair Growth

LawyerGirl
November 19th, 2008, 10:56 AM
I have read a lot since I joined TLHC about vitamins, oiling, etc that seems to do wonders for hair. I was wondering, however, if anyone had noticed a significant difference in the growth rate of their hair due to things like stress, not getting enough sleep, alcohol consumption, not drinking enough water, not getting as much exercise, caffeine, etc. I have read that these can impact how fast hair grows, but has anyone noticed a real change?

Fencai
November 19th, 2008, 11:00 AM
absolutley! when your internal health is at its prime, everything is better!

if I flake out and dont take care of myself, I notice my hair is drier and ickier. Also my nails dont grow.

Im really bad at taking pills (Mainly cause I have a hard time swallowing them) DH makes sure that I take my multi-vitamin every day, and also a Biotin for hair skin and nails. But those two things alone are not enough.
I think the biggest factor for me is exercise. When I work out I can see the different, when I dont, I just look all around awful and grey.

spidermom
November 19th, 2008, 11:06 AM
It seemed to me that my hair growth rate increased when I made it a point to drink more water. I used to be terrible about that and would sometimes wake up at night desperately thirsty, then remember that I didn't drink any water at all the entire day. So now I do my best to push drinking water to the top of my awareness.

MsBubbles
November 19th, 2008, 11:41 AM
My hair grows at its fastest when I'm drinking over 1 liter of water a day, and am getting copious amounts of exercise per week (such as inline skating around a total of 7 hours/week). Without those my hair growth slows down.

LawyerGirl
November 19th, 2008, 11:44 AM
Argh, just as I suspected. Ha I guess there is no point in attempting to grow long hair without starting with the basics!

neon-dream
November 19th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Yep, when I use olive oil / coconut oils on my hair it seems to speed up the growth
as well as taking my mega vitamins :)
you can grow long hair without these factors, but it just makes it much much easier!
x

spidermom
November 19th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Come to think more about it, my determination to drink more water (1-2 quarts) came along with the vow to walk the dogs more often and eat a lower calorie, well-balanced diet that included a substantial increase in fruits and vegetables.

burns_erin
November 19th, 2008, 11:57 AM
For me stress seems to be a biggy, also when I am stressed I do not take care of myself as much in other ways as well.

Arctic
November 19th, 2008, 12:05 PM
I must say I haven't noticed any changes at all ever. My hair grows slowly and seem to just plugging away no matter what I do. My lifestyle is rather healthy now, but it was like this when I was living in a much more unhealthy way.

Only thing I can think of that stress could cause shedding so avoiding stress is essential (as much as it's possible anyway!). Also oiling etc might help your hair not to break of from the ends thus making it appear to grow faster. And all these vitamin regimens etc, they only help if you have a deficiency.

I'm not saying that something like drinking water wouldn't help someone, I personally have always drank lot of water.

ChloeDharma
November 19th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Absolutely, when i don't get enough sleep, don't eat properly and am stressed i can guarantee that a while later i'll go through a massive shedding phase.

Deborah
November 19th, 2008, 12:12 PM
Honestly, I have never noticed the slightest difference in my hair's growth or health from eating well or poorly, or from taking any kind of supplements. I take vitamins and some herbs for other reasons anyway, but I don't ever notice any effect on my hair. :shrug:

Arctic
November 19th, 2008, 12:16 PM
Honestly, I have never noticed the slightest difference in my hair's growth or health from eating well or poorly, or from taking any kind of supplements. I take vitamins and some herbs for other reasons anyway, but I don't ever notice any effect on my hair. :shrug:

I'm the same: If I take hair and nail vitamins, I see the effect in my nails, not in my hair :laugh:

Arctic
November 19th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Absolutely, when i don't get enough sleep, don't eat properly and am stressed i can guarantee that a while later i'll go through a massive shedding phase.

I agree it can cause shedding but does it effect the actual growth?

jojo
November 19th, 2008, 02:10 PM
I feel my hair grows best when I am less stressed and getting enough sleep. I have also found that since I have been applying a teeny bit of coconut oil to my ends each day and bunning it, I get better growth too.