PDA

View Full Version : Hello Everybody :-)

Morag
March 23rd, 2008, 02:38 PM
I am so excited to see things up and running again so that I can join!

Please feel free to offer opinions/suggestions on any of the following:

I have very fine hair that floats around and nearly drives me crazy in the winter, when it gets filled with static and sticks to my face like spider webs. Right now it is as long as it has ever been - a couple of inches past the top of my shoulder blades. I've had it at this length several times before, and it usually begins to break badly about now, both from dryness and its own weight.

I stopped using nylon brushes long ago. I have a Fuller boar bristle that I a rarely use because it seems to pack my hair down, and a Bass wooden brush which seems to work well. I also have a Conair shower comb of which I am fond.

If I use standard shampoos I get a lot of breakage, even using a lot of conditioner. I loved Pantene for a couple of months - it gave great body and shine - but then my hair started feeling brittle and breaking again. About eighteen months ago I started using Tropic Traditions coconut oil shampoo bar, and it has been wonderful for strengthening and improving the texture of my hair. I sometimes use a vinegar rinse, but not always. Recently I discovered that Aussie Volume styling mousse works well for me as a detangler/setting gel, and gives some good body for the first few days after washing. Toward the end of the week it kind of wears off, of course. I love the results of henna, and am trying to find time to do it regularly. I generally use the neutral version - no red. Sometimes I throw in a little golden red to make my gray look like blonde highlights.

My hair is layered. In fact, my hair is cut by hanging my head upside down and cutting all the hair off evenly across the top. It gives great shape at a medium length, but as the back has become longer I have realized that I would have more than twice as much hair in the long parts if I grew most of the crown out, so I'm considering doing that.

I am seeing hair type codes in other postings which intrigue me, and I am wondering how and where to find the information about what they mean, and how to determine what mine might be.

I am having a lot of fun figuring out how to take pictures of the back of my own head, LOL! I have managed a couple that were not destroyed by the reflection of automatic flash, but had to take them so far away from the mirror that the detail is lost. Suggestions, anyone?

Some folks here have mentioned being told that older women should not have long hair, but obviously I don't think that's right. In fact, I think US culture in general tends to (wrongly) look on aging as a sort of social faux pas, and I presume the attitude about hair is part of that. From my point of view, nothing is more stylish and sophisticated than a beautiful bun, on a person of any age.

I have developed quite a collection of carved and decorated wooden hair sticks and am very pleased that my hair has gotten long enough to start using them again. I'm hoping y'all can help me keep from getting fed up and chopping it all off again. I'd love to grow it long enough to begin to do some of the more complex braids and buns.

Thanks, all!

Morag
March 23rd, 2008, 10:29 PM
Aha! I've found the link to the Fia hairtyping system! Thanks, Darkwaves! There are several encouraging pictures of long, stick straight, apparently fine hair, so it is possible!

Now I just have to figure out how to make a signature ...

Mrs_Zombie
March 23rd, 2008, 10:42 PM
i believe you have to wait to have a certain amount of posts before you can edit your signature, but i could be wrong. I welcome you to TLHC and hope you find the comfort and support you need in order to grow out beautiful long hair.

I know i have, its given me determination to not cut my, now shoulder length, hair.

Again welcome :D :flower:

Morag
March 23rd, 2008, 10:51 PM
Thanks, Mrs. Zombie - love your avatar!

Mrs_Zombie
March 23rd, 2008, 10:54 PM
oh, thank you. unfortunately i forgot the artist's name. my husband actually pointed her out to me on deviantart.com, i believe it is.

:)

Morag
March 24th, 2008, 06:56 AM
Wow! I took a quick look at deviantart.com, and there's some very intriguing stuff there. I'll have to check it out in more detail sometime when I'm not trying to get myself to work, LOL!

Xandergrammy
March 24th, 2008, 08:35 AM
Morag, welcome! I love your avatar!! Did you take it?

angelthadiva
March 24th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Welcome, it sounds like you've learned quite a lot already! I'm sure you will find lots of support as you try to reach your hair goals.

Morag
March 31st, 2008, 06:44 PM
I love your avatar!! Did you take it?

Nope - I copied it out of an email of cute kid pics that a friend forwarded to me. I have no idea who took it or who the child is, but it's a great illustration of what I mean by "spiderweb hair" and that little pixie face really tickles me.

Morag
March 31st, 2008, 06:51 PM
Thanks, Angelthediva! I've been picking up bits and pieces here and there for a while now, but there's so much more here at LHC that I'm kind of on (good!) information overload. :thud:

I'll have to give myself a little time to breathe and decide what to try first. Can't wait until my hair is long enough to do more than a tiny cinnamon bun or a French tuck.