PDA

View Full Version : The difference a rinse can make

jivete
November 19th, 2008, 07:01 AM
So I normally rinse with room temperature distilled water and a slash of vinegar and my hair has been looking great. Today, I was out of distilled water, so I substituted with filtered shower water. Wow, my hair is way more frizzy than normal. I didn't think the rinse was making that much difference. I'll be sure to pick up more distilled water before my next wash.

rymorg2
November 19th, 2008, 07:21 AM
So I normally rinse with room temperature distilled water and a slash of vinegar and my hair has been looking great. Today, I was out of distilled water, so I substituted with filtered shower water. Wow, my hair is way more frizzy than normal. I didn't think the rinse was making that much difference. I'll be sure to pick up more distilled water before my next wash.

I have a filter on my shower too, and thought it was doing the job.....NOT! I went back to distilled water and VIOLA, good (or at least better) hair again. Go figure. It even feels softer afterwards. :D

One thing I do to warm it (I hate cold water especially in the winter) is put some in a squirt bottle and hold it under the shower for a min. or so right before I use it. It's not so cold that way.

jivete
November 19th, 2008, 08:55 AM
That's a good idea for warming the water. The room temperature water isn't too bad, as long as I bend back so it doesn't touch my back. But when it gets colder this winter...

I've done a couple of different final rinses. Plain distilled water, a HALO, cold water, filter water with honey and of course the distilled water with a splace of ACV. The last one is really the best. It makes my hair so smooth and silky. In fact, I've given up on the HALO because it just wasn't working as well even though it also has vinegar (and aloe and honey and oil) in it.

rymorg2
November 19th, 2008, 09:00 AM
That's a good idea for warming the water. The room temperature water isn't too bad, as long as I bend back so it doesn't touch my back. But when it gets colder this winter...

I've done a couple of different final rinses. Plain distilled water, a HALO, cold water, filter water with honey and of course the distilled water with a splace of ACV. The last one is really the best. It makes my hair so smooth and silky. In fact, I've given up on the HALO because it just wasn't working as well even though it also has vinegar (and aloe and honey and oil) in it.

I have to bend forward....LOL.....

I have a few rinses I do too, but plain ol' distilled water is the best for my hair. It takes about 8 oz (one squirt bottle full) for my hair at this length. I only wash twice a week so a gallon lasts awhile.

Honey39
November 19th, 2008, 02:04 PM
I'm intrigued - is the distilled water a FINAL rinse? Or do you not use conditioner etc? It takes me five minutes under the shower to get my hair clean, so I can't see how this works!! Advice appreciated!

jivete
November 19th, 2008, 02:28 PM
Honey39, the rinse is the last thing that touches your hair (well I still use leave-in conditioner). But basically, you follow your normal shower routine and then squirt the final rinse through your hair. My routine is CO with V05, a heavier conditioner afterwards (biolage or giovanni) and then after rinsing all that out in my shower, I rinse again with the distilled water/ACV combo. Once I'm out of the shower, I apply a dab of conditioner as a final leave-in.

BlndeInDisguise
November 19th, 2008, 02:32 PM
I'm going to have to try that again. I haven't done a final rinse with distilled water in a while. I like using it when it's cold or cold-ish because that helps seal the cuticles and makes my hair extra soft and shiny. :)

rymorg2
November 19th, 2008, 02:57 PM
I'm intrigued - is the distilled water a FINAL rinse? Or do you not use conditioner etc? It takes me five minutes under the shower to get my hair clean, so I can't see how this works!! Advice appreciated!

Yes, my distilled water rinse is the final thing I do. Sometimes I condition sometimes I don't. For the last week I've been using my DW, distilled water, and argan oil and that's it.

rymorg2
November 19th, 2008, 02:57 PM
I'm going to have to try that again. I haven't done a final rinse with distilled water in a while. I like using it when it's cold or cold-ish because that helps seal the cuticles and makes my hair extra soft and shiny. :)

It's still chilly enough to close the cuticle but not chilly enough to make me shiver.....