PDA

View Full Version : Seeking help for several issues-hair loss, extremely oily hair, etc.

Mara7
May 6th, 2024, 07:55 AM
Good Morning,
I introduced myself in the Newbie's section a few weeks ago, but just now getting some time to post my rather long first post on my issues. I am a nurse, so I'll be speaking of my issues from a medical/scientific/holistic perspective as well.

I am 58, menopausal and have hypothyroidism which is now well controlled. I experienced menopause three years ago. I am on Bi-est estrogen with 2.5 mg DHEA and Prometrium progesterone at night, 200 mg. I take a tiny dose of Levothyroxine at 12.5 mg. per day. Also, Lisinopril 20 mg. at night for blood pressure control.

My issues started at age 40 with Hypothyroidism. It was found and I was placed on medication. I lost a good 1/4 of my fine, but thick hair during that time. The hair loss stabilized for many years until I was 50 at went to peri-menopause. I also went through a period of extreme stress-we lost a daughter, family and work stress with financial issues, etc. I started to lose a bit more over time until I went into menopause at 55. I didn't have a cycle for one year, then had the one from hell, and they stopped for good. I lost another 1/4th of my hair during these last 8 years.

In December of 2023, more stress with an emergency surgery for my husband, and my MIL's death. My hair really started to fall then-about 6 weeks later. It became prone to breakage. In March, my scalp became very oily and breakouts started to occur. Some red areas of inflammation popped up. I was seen by a Dermatologist who told me that it was Seborrheic Dermatitis with Folliculitis. I was given Ketoconazole shampoo 2% to use twice a week.

That was not enough-while it helped a bit, my hair was still oily and I couldn't stop the breakouts with it. I found this forum, and did much research here over a month. I incorporated a system and a plan to try for one month, which I am now beyond and I feel has helped-I have very minimal fall now, hair growth is much faster, but I'm not seeing any new growth patches in thin areas yet.

Here is what I am doing:
Monday-Head and Shoulders Tea Tree shampoo/Zinc
Tuesday-Ketoconazole shampoo/Antifungal/DHT
Wednesday-Selsun Blue Naturals/Salycyclic Acid 3%.
Thursday-Redkin 3% protein shampoo
Friday-Ketoconazole
Saturday-Selsun Blue
Sunday-Head and Shoulders

Conditioner only on the ends.

Supplements:
NOW L-Lysine 500 mg-2 a day
Solgar Vitamin E softgels 100 IU-1 a day
Swanson Horsetail 500 mg-1 a day
Now Ginkgo Biloba 60 mg-1 a day
Liposomal Hyarluronic acid-1200 mg-1 a day
Life Extension Creatine-500 mg-2 a day
Life Extension Palmetto Guard/Beta-sitosterol-320 mg, 1 a day
Vitamin C softgels, 1000 mg, 2 a day divided
Jarrow Borage oil 1200 mg, 1 a day
Life Extension MSM, 1,000 mg, 1 a day

All medical labs-iron panel, CBC, metabolic panel, ferritin, TSH, T3, T4, thyroid antibodies, B12 are perfect.

With this plan, over the past 5 weeks, no shedding and hair/nails are growing like they haven't since I was in my twenties. Just no new hair growth in those very thin areas and on top of my head.

I realize I may never get back what I've lost because of age, female pattern hair loss, the medical issues with my scalp. But I have some hope. I'm down now to 1/4th of the hair I used to have on my head. I'd love to wear a ponytail again on warm days when I'm working outside, or get my hair back up into a beautiful bun again. Right now, I just don't know. It's a little longer than nape length-I had to cut because of the thin nature of my hair all over.

Is there anything I could be missing? I've thought of Minoxidil and too scared at the moment to try that. I was wondering about Rosemary water as a rinse?
Thank you for any and all advice. It's much appreciated.

Mara7
May 6th, 2024, 08:13 AM
I wanted to add that I use Chronometer, an app to track my daily dietary intake. I'm reaching over the US RDA on everything like Biotin (I found some years earlier that Biotin supplements never helped my hair growth, for some odd reason-I was probably getting enough in my diet already).

The only two things I struggle with getting enough of is Vitamin E and Copper. That's why I'm taking a small dose of vitamin E. To get the copper, I'm eating sunflower seeds and walnuts to get over 100% daily. That low level of copper kinda explains why I was suddenly going gray so fast.

Because of this and watching my diet, I'm able to not have to take a multivitamin right now.

SandyBottom
May 6th, 2024, 07:33 PM
Wow. You've been dealing with a lot. No wonder you've shed so much! I'm sorry for the losses in your family, Mara. There are other members with SD who might be able to help more in that area. I don't know much about the supplements you're taking because I just take a multivitamin daily, but you mentioned struggling to get copper. Are you eating a wide variety of foods? Some suggested sources of copper are oysters, tofu, sweet potatoes, sesame seeds, cashews, chickpeas, salmon, DARK CHOCOLATE :D, avocados, spinach, and mushrooms. It's good that you're under a doctor's care and having your levels checked too. You've seen a halt in the shedding over the past 5 weeks and growth for nails and hair, so you must be on the right track. Give it time. Some things can take a couple/few months before the benefits become apparent. Good luck! I hope things calm down for you:blossom:

embee
May 7th, 2024, 04:26 PM
Wow, that's a lot you've been doing. If you are going to change anything, change one thing at a time and let it be changed for a while, like weeks or even months, to see if it helps - UNLESS you have an immediate *bad* reaction to any change. That's the only way to know what works for you. Otherwise you'll just be guessing.

constancev18
May 7th, 2024, 11:16 PM
Congrats on taking the bull by the horns. The only thing I notice is the shampoos, which are excellent for the scalp issue you note but rough on your hair follicles. Your system is working, so maybe just keep your eye on it. Happy hair growing!

Mara7
May 8th, 2024, 05:53 AM
Thank you for the relies, everyone.

Constancev18, I was really a bit scared to start all those different shampoo's knowing they were harsh, except for the Redken. But I can barely keep all those pimples from popping up on my scalp otherwise. If I go longer than 24 hours, the oil is very heavy on my hair-it's like I've run a handful of oil through it. The itching and stinging starts, and the pimples come back all over my scalp, which is painful.

I know it's fungal related, and a part of me wonders too if the small dose of DHEA at 2.5 mg daily in my Bi-est cream could be contributing to my hair fall as well. My Gyno was insistent I take a small dose as it is important for my bones and immunity. But I wonder about it being converted to Testosterone. I did have my DHT tested a year ago, and it was in normal range.

But for now, I'm having just normal hair loss daily. So it has stopped for the moment under all the changes. I love how my nails are growing-they are strong and my skin dryness overall looks better after 5 weeks on my plan.

I wish I could nourish those hair follicles in some way, and I'm trying to do that internally. Once the hair grows outside of the follicle, I've got to work with what I've got. If I could just get this darned oiliness under control and stop the pimples, that would be amazing. Right now I'm courting any relief I can get.

Has anyone ever had Seborrheic Dermititis and Folliculitis resolve?

Mara7
May 8th, 2024, 05:55 AM
SandyBottom, thank you for your ideas on how to get more Copper in my diet. That's good news on the dark chocolate, and one I'll really enjoy!

constancev18
May 8th, 2024, 11:56 AM
This is an interesting issue.
Was the dermatologist a trichologist?

Mara7
May 8th, 2024, 01:47 PM
ConstanceV18, no he wasn't. Just a young guy who wasn't very interested. Ran his hands through my hair, looking at my scalp, and announced the diagnosis and told me would prescribe Ketoconazole 2% shampoo, use it twice a week, and continue until symptoms were gone. I have 2 refills left. Come back if it doesn't resolve.

I live deep in the Appalachian mountains-so the nearest Trichologist would be in North Carolina or East Tennessee some hours away. But if it persists, I may have to move forward with that idea.

constancev18
May 9th, 2024, 07:07 PM
Mara7, it must be beautiful where you are. That's a serious drive. Heck.

Chasemi
May 9th, 2024, 09:22 PM
I'm in an area nearby to you. I know it can be hard to get quality care for specialized services without traveling far. It sounds like you doing a lot of work in looking out for your health. I hope you're able to find something. Maybe you could do a virtual consultation with someone before you travel all that ways

Mara7
May 13th, 2024, 08:54 AM
I'm in an area nearby to you. I know it can be hard to get quality care for specialized services without traveling far. It sounds like you doing a lot of work in looking out for your health. I hope you're able to find something. Maybe you could do a virtual consultation with someone before you travel all that ways

@Chasemi, it is very hard! I'm doing the best I can with my nursing background and the help I'm finding here on the forum in old posts, and cobbling a plan together. I'm going to give what I'm doing 3 months. I'm hoping I see improvement-it's a drain on the bank account, for sure. And possibly, my liver.

I think my options going forward, if all this doesn't work, is the oral form of a anti-fungal. I don't want to-you have to keep a good check on your liver enzymes. As you know in this area, we have very hard water which is hard on the skin and hair, especially down here in the coalfields. So we've ordered a shower head filter for the bath and maybe that will help some to get all the chemicals away from head/skin.

I don't have high expectations at my age but I do think that some issues can be resolved and I can re-grow my hair and get some thickness back.

Mara7
May 13th, 2024, 08:58 AM
@constancev18, it is very beautiful in the spring and summertime, the fall as well. But the winter, not so much. And very isolating. But I have our little mini-farm and animals and gardens-podcasts, books, and friends/family-so that makes living here so much better. My last child left a few years ago for college and all five are scattered everywhere across the U.S., so the bonus is we now get to travel a bit! But I miss them very much, every day.

Fethenwen
May 13th, 2024, 11:40 AM
Thank you for the relies, everyone.

Constancev18, I was really a bit scared to start all those different shampoo's knowing they were harsh, except for the Redken. But I can barely keep all those pimples from popping up on my scalp otherwise. If I go longer than 24 hours, the oil is very heavy on my hair-it's like I've run a handful of oil through it. The itching and stinging starts, and the pimples come back all over my scalp, which is painful.

I know it's fungal related, and a part of me wonders too if the small dose of DHEA at 2.5 mg daily in my Bi-est cream could be contributing to my hair fall as well. My Gyno was insistent I take a small dose as it is important for my bones and immunity. But I wonder about it being converted to Testosterone. I did have my DHT tested a year ago, and it was in normal range.

But for now, I'm having just normal hair loss daily. So it has stopped for the moment under all the changes. I love how my nails are growing-they are strong and my skin dryness overall looks better after 5 weeks on my plan.

I wish I could nourish those hair follicles in some way, and I'm trying to do that internally. Once the hair grows outside of the follicle, I've got to work with what I've got. If I could just get this darned oiliness under control and stop the pimples, that would be amazing. Right now I'm courting any relief I can get.

Has anyone ever had Seborrheic Dermititis and Folliculitis resolve?
So sorry to hear this, you have been gone through a lot! And hypothyroidism on top of it all, known to cause some hair loss for sure.

My best suggestion right now is to try topical treatment, you are doing great taking care of your body internally.

I have had amazing results curing dandruff (which is also a fungal issue) with witch hazel water (hydrosol) with a few drops of rosemary essential oils added. Just spray that stuff right on your scalp multiple times per day. Rosemary works as an anti-fungal while witch hazel controls the excess sebum production.