PDA

View Full Version : Your most complicated/ornate braids

Hornet
April 18th, 2024, 01:21 PM
What is the most complicated braid you can do? I just tried a five strand braid and its so thick looking and beautiful

maborosi
April 18th, 2024, 06:23 PM
I can do up to six strands, but it's tough for me!
I can't Dutch or French braid anything more complicated than 3 strands. Maybe if I practiced, I could. :P

lapis_lazuli
April 18th, 2024, 06:39 PM
Well these days, I'm proud if I can do a 3-strand Dutch/French braid!

The most complicated I've ever managed was a 7-strand, English style, and it was definitely twisted and went only a third of the way down. The best looking one I did was a 5-strand English braid, but that's a few years ago now.

Shorty89
April 18th, 2024, 06:53 PM
I think this one is deceptively complicated looking. It's two French braids braided in an x pattern and then wrapped around the head.

https://i.imgur.com/Ug4Ym2R.jpg

I can't do more than a 5-strand braid though. Any more strands than that and my fingers get confused.

foreveryours
April 18th, 2024, 07:36 PM
4 strands :p is my limit - the round 4-strand braid and the suspended infinity braid in my avatar and profile pic. I don't see either often IRL

Christi May
April 18th, 2024, 10:50 PM
I think this one is deceptively complicated looking. It's two French braids braided in an x pattern and then wrapped around the head.

https://i.imgur.com/Ug4Ym2R.jpg

I can't do more than a 5-strand braid though. Any more strands than that and my fingers get confused.

That is beautiful! I've had that idea but don't think I'll be able to pull it off on myself and most of the people in my life don't have hair long enough for me to try it on them. *Sigh.* I have done five strand Dutch braids on other people a few times and it was fun, though.

Shorty89
April 19th, 2024, 09:23 AM
That is beautiful! I've had that idea but don't think I'll be able to pull it off on myself and most of the people in my life don't have hair long enough for me to try it on them. *Sigh.* I have done five strand Dutch braids on other people a few times and it was fun, though.

I can actually braid better on myself than other people. I think it's because I learned to braid on my own hair first.

Saige
April 20th, 2024, 04:53 AM
I once did an 11 strand braid, which I was very proud of! I also did Arwen's helms deep battle braid, which I thought looked complicated. It took a while to do, anyway! I have pictures of both in my album, I think.

Hornet
April 20th, 2024, 12:20 PM
I once did an 11 strand braid, which I was very proud of! I also did Arwen's helms deep battle braid, which I thought looked complicated. It took a while to do, anyway! I have pictures of both in my album, I think.
Wow 11 strand! I want to do bigger strand braids because i feel like it makes my thin braid look thicker. I scrolled through your album and your braids are beautiful!

Hornet
April 20th, 2024, 12:22 PM
4 strands :p is my limit - the round 4-strand braid and the suspended infinity braid in my avatar and profile pic. I don't see either often IRL
Ive been doing the round 4 strand a lot and want to try the round 6 strand, but maneuvering those strands behind my head sounds so difficult

lapis_lazuli
April 20th, 2024, 02:37 PM

Your whole album of braids is absolutely incredible, Saige :thud: You're very talented!
I think you inspired me to try the Arwen's braid at some point. In the past I was deterred by the number of strands, but looking at a tutorial, it's not as bad as I thought. I'll just need a lot of time and patience :knit:

Saige
April 20th, 2024, 04:25 PM
Aww, thanks Hornet and lapis! I used Torrin Paige's YouTube video for the battle braid. It really isn't as complicated as it looks!

Shorty89
April 20th, 2024, 08:26 PM
Your whole album of braids is absolutely incredible, Saige :thud: You're very talented!
I think you inspired me to try the Arwen's braid at some point. In the past I was deterred by the number of strands, but looking at a tutorial, it's not as bad as I thought. I'll just need a lot of time and patience :knit:

I'm going to have to mosey over there and take a look.

Hornet
April 20th, 2024, 11:56 PM
Just tried a 7 strand braid and it worked! Still need practice to make it not look funky though

Saige
April 21st, 2024, 06:18 AM
That's fantastic Hornet! :cheer: I found once I got that basic pattern down, all the bigger braids seemed to fall into place.

SandyBottom
April 21st, 2024, 07:23 AM
:thudpile: Your album, Saige!

Hornet
April 21st, 2024, 12:10 PM
That's fantastic Hornet! :cheer: I found once I got that basic pattern down, all the bigger braids seemed to fall into place.
I noticed both the 5 and 7 strand braids were both the same technique, you weave as if youre weaving a basket. Heres my 7 strand:
https://i.postimg.cc/L6f0W5PG/20240421-125933.jpg

lapis_lazuli
April 21st, 2024, 12:38 PM
Wow, it turned out lovely, Hornet! Very neat braiding.

Hornet
April 21st, 2024, 12:54 PM
Wow, it turned out lovely, Hornet! Very neat braiding.
My family actually doesnt like this braid at all. They said it looks like a beaver tail lol

Braided Lady
April 21st, 2024, 02:37 PM
I can actually braid better on myself than other people. I think it's because I learned to braid on my own hair first.

I can braid better on myself too, but I learned on someone else, who very kindly lent me her hair and sat still in one place instead of moving around to talk to people at the events we saw her at. I've wondered why I can do my own hair better now, but I guess just a lot more practice on myself and not others since then?:shrug:

Saige
April 22nd, 2024, 12:17 AM
Thanks very much SandyBottom!

Hornet, your braid turned out beautifully! You did a great job!

LongHairFaerie
April 22nd, 2024, 04:57 PM

The bun in your avatar: is that a fishtail cinnamon bun? It looks lovely!

Saige
April 22nd, 2024, 09:11 PM
The bun in your avatar: is that a fishtail cinnamon bun? It looks lovely!

It is! Some of the other members dubbed it the Ammonite bun :p

WednesdayAddams
April 22nd, 2024, 09:38 PM
Honestly? I can't even properly French braid. I'm terrible with braids. English braids are my limit.

Hornet
April 22nd, 2024, 10:09 PM
Honestly? I can't even properly French braid. I'm terrible with braids. English braids are my limit.
I can do really complicated ponytail braids, but i cant do any type of french or dutch braid. So im right there with ya lol