PDA

View Full Version : How damaging is teasing?

Hornet
March 4th, 2024, 12:50 PM
Ive started teasing to make my ponytail thicker. Ive heard its damaging but if its only occasional how bad can it be?

Rainbouu
March 4th, 2024, 01:32 PM
I think it mainly depends on how tough your hair is, how careful you are when teasing, and how you get it down afterwards. I used to tease my entire head daily, using a lot of pomade and hairspray to lock it in, but I did so very carefully. You kind of learn how to not create knots. Then I would use a ton of detangler and conditioner when I took it down.

I guess the bottom line is, yes it is a risky hair habit to have, most people probably cause damage while teasing through carelessness, or their hair is simply too fragile to tolerate it. You'll definitely see an increase in shedding if you do it a lot. However you might be able to minimize the actual damage if your very careful, or as you said, only do it rarely.

embee
March 4th, 2024, 05:24 PM
I suspect the teasing itself is not all that damaging - it's the combing it out afterwards that causes issues - tangles and breakage. Pay attention to your comb and hairbrush when you've finished un-teasing it, see what comes out. Listen for breakage.

foreveryours
March 4th, 2024, 06:49 PM
Like scaling a fish. How damaging is that?

ETJ CURLS
March 5th, 2024, 05:39 AM
I suspect the teasing itself is not all that damaging - it's the combing it out afterwards that causes issues - tangles and breakage. Pay attention to your comb and hairbrush when you've finished un-teasing it, see what comes out. Listen for breakage.

I feel the same. It's why I stopped regularly using an afro pick; my hair became so tangled that breakage was inevitable. I only use it on special occasions now, when I'm mentally prepared to work through the snarls afterward.

spidermom
March 5th, 2024, 07:26 AM

This. The action of teasing is against the natural lay of the cuticle, which is like scales. Disrupting the cuticle is going to cause weak areas on the hair.

Fiorentina
March 5th, 2024, 03:18 PM

I had to laugh out loud, foreveryours
Regards
Fiorentina

Chasemi
March 6th, 2024, 07:17 PM
Teasing, in itself, is making knots in the hair. I would never allow someone to tease my hair again - I don't think there's a way to do it without any damage. I agree with some of the posters above, you're bringing a brush directly against the cuticle, which lays like rooftop tiles. The cuticle is what protects your hair, and by breaking pieces of the cuticle, you're leaving your hair very vulnerable to damage. If you're looking for ways to make your ponytail look thicker, there's products similar to a bump-it that go INSIDE the center of the base of the pony for added fullness

GordonMurphella
March 7th, 2024, 03:49 AM
Well, imho there's a reason it's also called (or was, I'm old) ratting.

Foreveryours and Spidermom are correct.

luxurioushair
March 7th, 2024, 05:09 AM
Look at any scene girl and even some e-girls LOL.
Their hair looks shredded. SHREDDED.

embee
March 7th, 2024, 06:01 AM
I forgot all about the cuticle. :( My Bad.

Deborah
March 7th, 2024, 10:48 AM
It is absolutely damaging. I have never and will never do it to my hair.

Bat
March 7th, 2024, 09:07 PM
Honestly I'd suggest doing two pony tails one on top of the other then tying both together the bobbles should give the illusion of looking fuller, I'm a goth person and even I wouldn't tease my hair

LittleQuill
March 7th, 2024, 09:55 PM

I suspect that a comedic response wasn't what you were aiming for, but I read this and absolutely giggled. :spitting:

Vintagerapunzel
March 25th, 2024, 08:57 AM
I absolutely love vintage styles specifically 1930s- 1950s waves. All the tutorials I see tease to add volume. I've always been hesitant to try backcombing for fear of damaging my hair. Id rather focus on health of my hair than introduce damage for style. I'm learning to embrace my hairs natural texture.

Priska
April 2nd, 2024, 09:40 AM
Teasing is such an easy and fast way to get some volume and bounciness to the side bangs, that i hope it's not very damaging... I hate my side bangs when they go totally flat along my scalp.. that's not a problem with a good head shape, but unfortunately i don't have that :? Some kind of rollers are another option, but they are so slow...