PDA

View Full Version : Best Hair Growth Supplememts??

ChasinGinger
February 9th, 2024, 01:28 PM
Hi everyone! I started taking the Super Collagen + Vitamin C & Biotin supplements from Neocell in December of 2023 and absolutely loved them aside from the fact that my skin always breaks out from biotin. I'm running out of them and am on the lookout to try another supplement, maybe even biotin free if possible. My nails have grown like crazy and are super strong since I stared taking them and my hair looks and feels thicker. I blow-dried my hair the other day with cold air and also noticed LOTS of new growth poking through so I definitely believe in the product! I just really would love to not have to have the acne that comes with it! Could anyone recommend some good supplements for me to look into trying once I run out of these? TIA!!

Chasemi
February 10th, 2024, 08:15 AM
Sarah ingle has a video about hair supplements that you may find really interesting, especially since it's not focused on biotin. I'm not sure biotin makes a difference for most people, since most people aren't lacking biotin, and the gummies typically have 5,000 percent of the suggested daily amount, but anyways, her videos are super interesting

Ylva
February 12th, 2024, 02:41 AM
The most common thing people are deficient in is probably vitamin D. Other than that, I wouldn't recommend any "hair supplements" besides a healthy diet. And if you live in a sunny climate and get moderate UV exposure (as in you don't always cover your skin with clothes or sunscreen), you probably aren't deficient in vit. D either.

If you are looking to optimise your nutrition through supplementation, I'd suggest doing a thorough blood panel to see what you are actually deficient in, if anything. Taking an excess of something rarely has any good consequences, and just because something like B vitamins are washed out of the body through urination, doesn't mean it doesn't put a strain on your body along the way.

It has only been a maximum of 3 months since December 2023, so your hair would've grown about 3 cm in that time. The looking and feeling thicker is probably a placebo thing or caused by something other than these supplements.

foreveryours
February 12th, 2024, 05:22 AM
Sarah ingle has a video about hair supplements that you may find really interesting, especially since it's not focused on biotin. I'm not sure biotin makes a difference for most people, since most people aren't lacking biotin, and the gummies typically have 5,000 percent of the suggested daily amount, but anyways, her videos are super interesting

In my own experience, such megadoses of biotin don't do much for hair but for nails taking that much biotin or more makes a HUGE difference. Once hard and brittle, now tough as nails.

ArtOfNoot
February 12th, 2024, 11:03 PM
I like the gummy ones because I use gummy vitamins as an excuse to eat candy. Mine taste like strawberries. I second foreveryours: haven't noticed any difference in hair but MAN do my nails grow fast on biotin

HairWitch
February 15th, 2024, 01:05 PM
I use Nutrafol. I'm growing back after shaving my head. I'm six months in, and I've had great results with it. It's pricey though. Viviscal is half the price and worked well for me previously.
A word of advice with Biotin; if I start to break out, the first thing I check is my water consumption. If I don't drink enough water while taking it, I do start to break out. Also, drinking plenty of water does help with hair growth all on its own!
Make sure you're using a *quality* biotin.

Non-supplement options are a daily hair massage, red light, and Minoxidil. But do your own research on each of these. I went through some severe hair loss issues due to a crap thyroid and other autoimmune issues so I researched as much as I could out of desperation.

Long_hair_bear
February 15th, 2024, 01:53 PM
I have heard that prenatal vitamins help your hair grow. I have been taking them for a few months now and my hair has definitely been growing (I measure every month and no, not trying to get pregnant).

Rainbouu
February 15th, 2024, 06:42 PM
I'm also interested in a multivitamin for hair, that includes vitamin K and is also 3rd party verified. So many different vitamins are on the shelves but I still haven't found exactly what I'm looking for.

Has anyone here tried taking supplements with hyaluronic acid for skin/hair? It seems to be really in vouge right now and I can't help but be curious about that too.

Dark40
February 18th, 2024, 09:51 AM
I would recommend, "Nature's Bounty Hair, Skin, and Nails," gummies. I only take 2 gummies per day, and I've been doing this for 2 years now, and I have started out with shoulder length or armpit length hair, now I'm at WL!

rosenester
February 18th, 2024, 10:44 AM
I supplement vitamin D, fish oil, and sometimes collagen depending on my diet that day. If I keep up with vitamin D, I get the average 1/2” per month of growth. If I forget for a month, or skip it for the summer, my hair growth is very variable averaging around 1/8 to 1/4” a month.

I am of the mindset that supplements for hair growth are only necessary if you’re lacking nutrients for one reason or another.

angel-baby
February 19th, 2024, 06:20 PM
I don't really take supplements to boost my hair growth alone. I take them for overall health, but I do take collagen for the overall condition of my hair and skin -I don't think collagen really helps my hair grow any faster. Currently taking a multivitamin, Vitamin D, fish oil, collagen, turmeric, and ground flax seeds. I don't know if my hair is growing any faster because of it, but my new growth is healthy and shiny.

Priska
February 19th, 2024, 11:55 PM
I don't really take supplements to boost my hair growth alone. I take them for overall health, but I do take collagen for the overall condition of my hair and skin -I don't think collagen really helps my hair grow any faster. Currently taking a multivitamin, Vitamin D, fish oil, collagen, turmeric, and ground flax seeds. I don't know if my hair is growing any faster because of it, but my new growth is healthy and shiny.

What good for hair is there in flax seeds? .. :) I used to eat them too, but i don't remember anymore why...

angel-baby
February 25th, 2024, 10:57 AM
What good for hair is there in flax seeds? .. :) I used to eat them too, but i don't remember anymore why...

They have a lot of omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin E and B vitamins, so they're really good for strong and shiny new growth.
I mainly eat them for heart health and reducing inflammation, but my hairdresser was excited when I told her I started taking flax seed.

LittleQuill
February 28th, 2024, 12:19 AM
Flaxseed gel is pretty good for the hair, too, when used topically. My hair loves the stuff. I always have a squeeze bottle of the stuff made up and in the fridge if I want to do a non-oil scalp treatment, or if my length needs a little more hydration. It's always made it feel silky and shiny, and as it soaks it right up (roots too), I don't have to worry about applying too much. :bounce:

cherrymerry
March 3rd, 2024, 12:12 PM
I've been taking vitamin d for more than a year now, close to two, and I believe the hairloss and widening parting I've been suffering from for most of my 20's was caused by me being deficient. My deficiency was confirmed by my doctor, which is why I started taking it in the first place. I also take iron to prevent low levels because of my period and because I donate blood. I recently started taking omega 3 as well, but it is too soon to say whether it has any efffect. I will always recommend taking vitamin d since having a deficiency is so common!

MissHair
March 3rd, 2024, 01:05 PM
1. Iron
2. Vitamin C
3. B5
4. Methionine
5. Magnesium
6. B5
7. Omega-3
8. Proteins
9. Iodine