PDA

View Full Version : Dying my hair to match salt & pepper grow out

Sheryl
February 2nd, 2024, 04:03 PM
I am growing out my gray hair that was previous coloured. It has a line between the gray and the dark blond color that I'd like to get rid of. Is there a product out that the will dye my dark blond ends in a streaked gray? I have considered dying it overall to match my dark shade and them streaking it with white all over but my colour has many different shades from dark blond to reddish and is hard to match. Has anyone done this? I could try to match my natural colour and then streak it all with light gray but I think it might still have a line when it grows out anyway.

ETJ CURLS
February 3rd, 2024, 09:44 AM
It's definitely possible, there is a man called Jack Martin Colorist (https://www.instagram.com/jackmartincolorist?igsh=d25zam92MHVwbHJk) on IG and grey/silver transformations are his forte. Guy Tang on Youtube also has a vid showing a transition from dark to gray (https://youtu.be/nG71XZS4Rzw?feature=shared) he did on his mother. I link these two in particular because they freely share their colour formulations and process, and if you or a friend is versed in hair colouring, you should be able to replicate their work.

From what I understand, because of the many different previous colours and the natural variations of the grey pattern, this process involves: 1. Lots of high quality products, bleach, k18, toner etc., 2. Very careful and precise sectioning and foil application, and 3. A large amount of time, up to 8 hours in many cases.

This also looks to be a rather damaging process to the hair because of the lifting process, but with care and styling it does produce a stunning result.

rosenester
February 3rd, 2024, 03:07 PM
Have you considered highlights the blend the demarcation line?

What level is your blonde lengths lifted to? If you did a color remover and lifted to level 10 you could tone it to very white and may blend like an ombre effect while it grows out.

Hoping a stylist will chime in for you, I am DIY and fried my hair and growing out the bleach so…. :silly:

Sheryl
February 4th, 2024, 05:42 PM
Thanks so much for the replies. I will look at those videos and try to get an idea of what is involved. My coloured hair is dark blond with a red tint and quite different from my salt and pepper hair. My own natural hair has little colour other than mousy dark blond/light brown with the white streaks in it. I am considering lightening the coloured hair, or just colouring it with one of the "gray" hair colours and streaking it with white. Just thinking at this point. Thanks again!