PDA

View Full Version : I’m back!

LauraLongLocks
January 30th, 2024, 02:55 PM
It’s been a super long time (YEARS) since I posted here.

So, what’s new with my hair?

The longest it has been is barely classic length about 5ish or 6ish years ago and right now it is TBL, but my ends are thin and split. I’ve had a busy several years and hair care has taken a back seat. I haven’t been trimming it back to TBL. It has been breaking off as fast as it grows.

I have a spot of alopecia areata on the back of my head, and haven’t gotten effective treatment yet for it. I went to my primary/general care provider and he prescribed betamethasone ointment. I applied that for several weeks as directed, and did not start regrowing hair. My skin became very thin and sensitive, so I discontinued use and got a referral to a dermatologist. I’ve heard that steroid injections are effective. Maybe the dermatologist will prescribe that for me. We shall see.

I had my right rotator cuff repaired on December 21, 2023. I’m right-handed. Basic hygiene/hair care has been quite challenging as I’m not allowed to actively use my arm yet - only passive range of motion so far.

Today was wash day. I wanted to try out a couple of leave-in conditioners. I tried Pantene spray leave-in on one side and Fructis Garnier cream leave-in on the other side. Unfortunately, I put way too much of the Garnier on and it’s sticky and heavy now. The Pantene spray did a nice job of making my hair slippery and it detangled effortlessly. Next time I will use less than half of the Fructis Garnier and see if I like it better.

Anyone have a favorite leave-in conditioner you want to recommend?

It’s great to be back here again. Life has been a bit crazy, busy, and tumultuous, but now things have started to calm down and I think I’ll have more time to post here and to take better care of my hair.

Fiorentina
January 30th, 2024, 02:57 PM
Welcome back :)

Sarahlabyrinth
January 30th, 2024, 03:00 PM
So lovely to see you back, Laura! :)

LauraLongLocks
January 30th, 2024, 06:42 PM
Thank you for the warm welcome back!

Spitfire
January 30th, 2024, 09:30 PM
Welcome back! I haven't posted here for over 3 years either.
I hope you're able to find some relief from that alopecia spot soon! :o I used to use the one n only argan oil leave-in but I've been trying to cut back on silicones to see if it makes any difference. It does provide a lovely slip and shine, and it doesn't take much.

TatsuOni
January 31st, 2024, 10:00 AM
Welcome back! :cheese: I'm happy to see you here again! :D

Instead of a leave in, I prefer to use the Selkie detangling spray from NightBlooming and a few drops of oil.

Tea Lady
January 31st, 2024, 03:17 PM
Welcome back! I am a recent returnee to this community as well. I had some life and hair mishaps, some good things as well. (All the details are on my blog here if you're curious!.) It's nice to reconnect with like-minded people again.

bparnell75
January 31st, 2024, 05:07 PM
Welcome back Laura, I've always enjoyed your posts and videos

lithostoic
February 1st, 2024, 07:37 PM
Hey I remember you, because we have similar hair stats! :D welcome back. I'm glad things in life are leveling out so you can focus again on hair care.

Dark40
February 2nd, 2024, 08:02 PM
It’s been a super long time (YEARS) since I posted here.

So, what’s new with my hair?

The longest it has been is barely classic length about 5ish or 6ish years ago and right now it is TBL, but my ends are thin and split. I’ve had a busy several years and hair care has taken a back seat. I haven’t been trimming it back to TBL. It has been breaking off as fast as it grows.

I have a spot of alopecia areata on the back of my head, and haven’t gotten effective treatment yet for it. I went to my primary/general care provider and he prescribed betamethasone ointment. I applied that for several weeks as directed, and did not start regrowing hair. My skin became very thin and sensitive, so I discontinued use and got a referral to a dermatologist. I’ve heard that steroid injections are effective. Maybe the dermatologist will prescribe that for me. We shall see.

I had my right rotator cuff repaired on December 21, 2023. I’m right-handed. Basic hygiene/hair care has been quite challenging as I’m not allowed to actively use my arm yet - only passive range of motion so far.

Today was wash day. I wanted to try out a couple of leave-in conditioners. I tried Pantene spray leave-in on one side and Fructis Garnier cream leave-in on the other side. Unfortunately, I put way too much of the Garnier on and it’s sticky and heavy now. The Pantene spray did a nice job of making my hair slippery and it detangled effortlessly. Next time I will use less than half of the Fructis Garnier and see if I like it better.

Anyone have a favorite leave-in conditioner you want to recommend?

It’s great to be back here again. Life has been a bit crazy, busy, and tumultuous, but now things have started to calm down and I think I’ll have more time to post here and to take better care of my hair.

Welcome back! :)
I'm so sorry that you've been through all of that for many years of your life. I'm glad things are back to normal for you, and you're back posting on here again! :D TBL is rather a nice length to be at right now but I'm sure you want it much longer than that. My hair has really grown a lot since the last time you've seen me post on here! Well, 2 years ago I went through a really bad haircut. I cut it too short, and it took me 2 years for it to grow back to between MBL and WL! So, now it's headed to WL! This year I'm setting my goal to either by this spring or summer to be at hip length. Oh yeah, aren't you're the one that started the, "Deep Conditioning Check-In Thread," on here? If so, I've posted in that thread a lot, and I still do! :)

LauraLongLocks
February 6th, 2024, 10:38 PM
Thank you all for the warm welcome back!

Yes, of course I want LONGER hair, but I also want a nicer hem. I’m content to stay where I am with microtrimming and improve the condition of my hair. Years of not so benign neglect has taken its toll.

Thank you for remembering about my YouTube videos. I want to redo most, if not all, of them. That’s a “not right now” project for me. Recovering from my shoulder surgery is my top priority at the moment.

Thank you for the leave-ins and alternatives that were suggested. I want to figure out a hair routine that is both simple and effective.

It feels great that some of you remember me. Thanks again for the warm welcome back.

Glitch
February 6th, 2024, 11:26 PM
Oh my gosh, your hair is stunning!! And is that your natural hair color? :o

Also, best of luck in your healing journey :flower:

embee
February 7th, 2024, 06:51 AM
Welcome back! I am a recent returnee to this community as well. I had some life and hair mishaps, some good things as well. (All the details are on my blog here if you're curious!.) It's nice to reconnect with like-minded people again.

Tea Lady! Welcome home ! :) It's always nice to see oldtimers posting. So many online communities do not have any oldtimers. (Mostly because so many online communities have very short lives. ;) )

LauraLongLocks
February 8th, 2024, 01:09 AM
Oh my gosh, your hair is stunning!! And is that your natural hair color? :o

Also, best of luck in your healing journey :flower:

Thank you for your kind words. My hair color has been enhanced a bit with henna. ;) :wink: ;)