PDA

View Full Version : Unbrush? (Also HELP; everything in the entire world gives me breakage apparently)

H.e.L
January 28th, 2024, 04:46 PM
Alright my people;

I've been doing like LHC-ers often do and intermittently checking hair care trends, and the Unbrush keeps coming up in the last 6 months or so. Often enough to get me interested and think maybe there's more to it than just being one of the latest TikTok fad items.

There's lots of people online who think it's pretty similar (in terms of gentleness/ease of detangling) to a standard Tangle Teezer. Some like it way more than the TT (apparently it goes through your hair a bit easier/smoother; like a series of wide-tooth combs all bundled together more than a brush.)

I'm a person with quite fine, rather tangly 2a hair (it lives in gentle buns, looser braids, or under satin pretty much 24/7) so one of the most intriguing things to me that people keep bringing up in their reviews of the Unbrush is how they say it goes much more smoothly through their hair than even their TTs, without breaking strands.

As a person who's extremely prone to breakage (I can hardly sneeze without adding to my "face-framing breakage," lol) of course I'm VERY intrigued.

And before you answer; yes, I follow the LHC wisdom of only detangling from the bottom up when it's dry or mostly dry, I oil my ends lightly and religiously, blow dry the roots only (on cool-warm, never hot; and only because it takes a whole day to dry if I don't), clarify as needed (once a month or two), and am very careful in general with it.

"Like old lace" and all, in the gentlest of styles, with the gentlest of handling; but it STILL breaks like it's going out of style. I'm not sure what else I can do, or what I could possibly be doing wrong, besides resign myself to my ends being eternally tapered down to less than 10 strands by the time I get to TBL (I'm not exaggerating, this has literally happened to me about 5 times so far during my "long hair journey.")

So ALL THAT SAID I'm just wondering;

A.) what do we think of the Unbrush (user reviews please), and
B.) any ideas on how I might ameliorate my breakage?

Thank y'all for your time.

Chasemi
January 28th, 2024, 05:08 PM
Personally, I quite like it! It's faster than combing my hair, but it seems to be easier on my fine hair. I like it more than my TT, but I definitely do use a wide tooth comb first IF I have a lot of product in my hair. Then I'll use the unbrush
I don't have any significant advice, but I like to detangle my hair with conditioner in it, not just leave it, actual conditioner I'd use in the shower. I just put it on my ends like usual, then I'll shampoo like normal, then condition again. Works like a charm for me!

H.e.L
January 28th, 2024, 05:16 PM
Hmm I haven't tried CWC for a while, I thought maybe that would be overly redundant as I already pre-oil my scalp & ends before every wash. Maybe I'll pick that up again, couldn't hurt.

Thanks for your review/reply, Chasemi!

Chasemi
January 28th, 2024, 05:34 PM
Hmm I haven't tried CWC for a while, I thought maybe that would be overly redundant as I already pre-oil my scalp & ends before every wash. Maybe I'll pick that up again, couldn't hurt.

Thanks for your review/reply, Chasemi!

No problem!

That's fair. If you feel it won't make a difference in your hair on top of oils, that's definitely understandable and you know your hair best! If you think it's worth a shot, I'd suggest something cheap that's loaded with silicone, which will help protect the hair from breakage

Hairy-Fairy
January 29th, 2024, 09:56 AM
I'm in the market for a new brush for my toddler who has very fine type 3 hair. I don't know which to try, TT or Unbrush.

H.e.L
January 29th, 2024, 12:10 PM
I'm in the market for a new brush for my toddler who has very fine type 3 hair. I don't know which to try, TT or Unbrush.

I like my Tangle Teezer fine I guess, I just still have lots of breakage even from that so I'm going to try the Unbrush. I plan to purchase one on my next pay period.

I'll report back in a couple weeks with whether or not the Unbrush seems gentler than the TT (average amount of hair left in brush after brushing properly, that kind of thing. Probably best I can do short-term.)

I'll also be tracking long-term effects, ie does my 'breakage halo' diminish over time/start growing out.

Rainbouu
January 29th, 2024, 01:49 PM
I would love to hear your results, since I love my TT dearly. Just curious, does your Tangle Teaser have a handle, or is it the kind without? Mine doesn't have a handle and I've been told that handles can add more tension to the hair and kind of interfere with your "sense" of how hard you should pull. That was what originally attracted me to TT since I have baby fine hair, and I notice Unbrush has a handle.

H.e.L
January 29th, 2024, 02:26 PM
I would love to hear your results, since I love my TT dearly. Just curious, does your Tangle Teaser have a handle, or is it the kind without? Mine doesn't have a handle and I've been told that handles can add more tension to the hair and kind of interfere with your "sense" of how hard you should pull. That was what originally attracted me to TT since I have baby fine hair, and I notice Unbrush has a handle.

I have both kinds of TTs (both a palm-held "original" type and their large "ultimate detangler.") I haven't noticed a whole lot of difference in hair fall/breakage between the palm-held type and the one with a handle (but I'm always careful to brush the bottom 3", then the next 3" up and all the way through to the ends, then the next 3" up & thru again...etc til I get to the roots.)

I even like my TTs, I just suspect them since I feel like I'm doing pretty much everything else right but still constantly seeing a lot of random-length 3-4" hairs sticking out ALL OVER my head which I can't explain (and it still feels like maybe they pull a bit since the bristles don't easily "sink into/through" my hair canopy even after thoroughly detangling first.)

Once I get my Unbrush, I'll definitely update y'all on my thoughts, and compare/contrast.

ETJ CURLS
January 29th, 2024, 07:48 PM
From the videos I've seen of people with very curly hair reviewing it, it's very gentle on hair and does a fairly good job. However, people are also finding it doesn't 100 percent detangle depending on your texture (fine/medium/coarse) and density, and some have reported mold growth on their brushes. A very similar brush that I use in the Denman D38 paddle brush. It's also quite gentle on hair with nice flexible bristles.

I'm not very well versed on the whole protein vs moisture thing, but I wonder if that could be having an influence on your strands breaking easily?

H.e.L
January 29th, 2024, 09:19 PM
From the videos I've seen of people with very curly hair reviewing it, it's very gentle on hair and does a fairly good job. However, people are also finding it doesn't 100 percent detangle depending on your texture (fine/medium/coarse) and density, and some have reported mold growth on their brushes. A very similar brush that I use in the Denman D38 paddle brush. It's also quite gentle on hair with nice flexible bristles.

I'm not very well versed on the whole protein vs moisture thing, but I wonder if that could be having an influence on your strands breaking easily?

Thanks for the Unbrush info! Good to know.

On the protein thing; you know, I've wondered about that myself. I'm pretty sure I have low or medium-to-low porosity hair, and I'm only just beginning to learn how to best care for it. There's a bit of conflicting information so I'm not sure what to use exactly, what would just overload it, etc.

I did a greek yogurt and egg protein treatment once (figured that was maybe gentler than buying an actual protein treatment at Sally's,) and my hair did feel more strong after that; but maybe too strong?? (As in possibly more snap-able)? But my hair breaks so easily anyway, how would I tell the difference? lol

Some people say low porosity can overload on protein pretty easily so I'm a little skittish about doing those very often.

But yeah, I'm still in the "research phase" on that. Good thought!

lapushka
January 30th, 2024, 05:36 AM
I switched out my wide tooth comb, which I (mistakenly) thought gave the least amount of issues. Nope. I got a Wet Brush (well I use the "dupes" but they are one and the same) and the rest is history. It beats my Tangle Teezer by a mile, many miles in fact. They are often called "shower brushes", but when getting dupes you have to be super careful you are not picking up a regular paddle brush! Be very careful, and don't just rely on the name "shower brush", really get it in person, not online. So you can tell.

They are super gentle on the scalp. And for me that is key. I stored away my wide tooth comb for good. I really did!

H.e.L
January 30th, 2024, 11:00 AM
I switched out my wide tooth comb, which I (mistakenly) thought gave the least amount of issues. Nope. I got a Wet Brush (well I use the "dupes" but they are one and the same) and the rest is history. It beats my Tangle Teezer by a mile, many miles in fact. They are often called "shower brushes", but when getting dupes you have to be super careful you are not picking up a regular paddle brush! Be very careful, and don't just rely on the name "shower brush", really get it in person, not online. So you can tell.

They are super gentle on the scalp. And for me that is key. I stored away my wide tooth comb for good. I really did!

Thank you for responding! Yeah I'm thinking that Tangle Teezers just don't work on my hair either, regardless of technique.

I brushed my hair like you're supposed to with my TT again this morning, but I REALLY paid attention to the hairs left on my brush afterwards. When I was cleaning out the brush THIS time, I literally went hair-by-hair, evaluating the length/"structural integrity" of each hair I'd removed.

I found 24 unbroken long fine hairs with bulbs, and 22 baby fine no-bulb broken ones.

So about half of my breakage potentially comes from my Tangle Teezer.

Well that solves that; Wet Brush, Unbrush, or bust I suppose.

mochichichi
January 30th, 2024, 02:11 PM
Idk if this will help, but I get a much gentler detangle and less hairs in the brush when I detangle with VERY lightly oiled (a couple drops rubbed between my palms) fingers before going in with my brush. Same stuff, from the bottom and all that.

H.e.L
January 30th, 2024, 02:19 PM
Idk if this will help, but I get a much gentler detangle and less hairs in the brush when I detangle with VERY lightly oiled (a couple drops rubbed between my palms) fingers before going in with my brush. Same stuff, from the bottom and all that.

Thanks for responding!

I lightly oil my ends/detangle a bit from the ends up to ears whenever they start to look dry (usually daily or every other day), so I already kinda do this. I don't brush or manipulate hair that doesn't look/feel "lubricated" enough.
Unfortunately for me, like 50% of my hair is just so baby fine it can't even handle BBBs (tried to make THOSE work for me for WAAAAY too long, haha. If it's "supposed to" work, I have a really hard time giving it up. Silly, stubborn me lol.)

I appreciate you taking the time to make a suggestion though!

ETA: OOH you reminded me; ktani & Madora always used to suggest using a few drops of baby/mineral oil rubbed between your fingers to help lubricate/detangle/protect the ends/seal in your moisturizing oils.

I'm totally going to start doing that! Couldn't hurt. :shrug:

Thanks again!

H.e.L
January 31st, 2024, 10:45 AM
Okay you guys.

I'm still waiting for payday so I can get the Unbrush to try. You might be thinking; 'why not just stop brushing your hair if it obviously causes you so much breakage?'

The simple answer is that like most people, I just love that gentle relaxation I get from brushing so I'm not willing to give that up if I can help it.
(If my baby hair SIMPLY CANNOT with the brushing no matter how gentle the brush supposedly is--I'm looking at you, TT--of course I'll just have to deal with not being 'allowed' to brush my hair if I want to finally be able to grow my hair out.)

Anyway, here's my old detangling/brushing routine vs the new one I'm trying;

Old routine: I detangled my (lightly oiled) ends morning and night, with fingers (or comb, depending on how tangled it was. Usually virtually no tangles, so usually just use the comb.) Then I would finish/smooth it out with my Tangle Teezer. (As I said, from the ends up on every step.)

New routine: Continue doing oiled detangling only, but I'm going to try also adding a couple drops of mineral/baby oil to my fingers first for the extra 'slip' that provides. I will be using EXCLUSIVELY my fingers to detangle for several weeks, then my Hairsense wide-tooth comb for smoothing only if needed (ie for an updo, preparing to braid, etc.)

I'll track how much hair I lose for the week or so it takes for the Unbrush to get to me while finger detangling/finger combing only, so I can get a baseline of hairs lost vs broken on average.
And when I actually have the Unbrush, I'll try adding that after the finger detangling for that nice relaxing moment and continue tracking broken hairs for a week or two for comparison's sake.
(ie is the Unbrush REALLY gentler than a Tangle Teezer, or would it be better in my case to just "bite the bullet" & finger detangle/comb EXCLUSIVELY forever?)

If I can eliminate or diminish the breakage I get just from brushing gently with a Tangle Teezer (smh) just by switching to the Unbrush, that alone could DRAMATICALLY reduce my perpetual overly-tapered/scraggly-lookin' ends issue.

*ETA: and if it doesn't work out that way, meh; c'est la vie.*

I'll update everyone on Tangle Teezer vs finger detangling only vs Unbrush on ultra-fine hair in a few weeks.

Rainbouu
January 31st, 2024, 12:12 PM
I also stubbornly held onto using my BBB for a few months despite its lack of benefits for my own fine hair. I totally get that H.e.L! I think your approach of gradually eliminating possible problems sounds good, I hope it works for you. Your new routine sounds like a very gentle one. If the Unbrush is also not to your liking, you could also try a soft Goats Hair brush. I believe as a kid I had an antique one, and they aren't the best for detangling lots of tight knots, but they are definitely the gentlest brush of all, and give hair more shine than anything. My hair as a kid was so fine it definitely worked as a regular brush for me.

And as a footnote, the science of TTs is that they kind of protect us from ourselves and use their staggered, bendable bristles to tug gently on knots, but give up and slide over them if they aren't quickly worried free. I can imagine how for some people this could still cause too much mechanical damage...

mochichichi
January 31st, 2024, 12:48 PM
Okay you guys.

I'm still waiting for payday so I can get the Unbrush to try. You might be thinking; 'why not just stop brushing your hair if it obviously causes you so much breakage?'

The simple answer is that like most people, I just love that gentle relaxation I get from brushing so I'm not willing to give that up if I can at all help it.
(If my baby hair SIMPLY CANNOT with the brushing no matter how gentle the brush supposedly is--I'm looking at you, TT--of course I'll just have to deal with not being 'allowed' to brush my hair if I want to finally be able to grow my hair out.)

What about scalp massages without brushing? I guess here it's important to differentiate between breakage on the length from brushing or "excess" shedding. But if the relaxation is the goal, I personally find massaging my scalp way more relaxing than the brushing on my lengths.

Anyway, here's my old detangling/brushing routine vs the new one I'm trying;

Old routine: I detangled my (lightly oiled) ends morning and night, with fingers (or comb, depending on how tangled it was. Usually virtually no tangles, so usually just use the comb.) Then I would finish/smooth it out with my Tangle Teezer. (As I said, from the ends up on every step.)

New routine: Continue doing oiled detangling only, but I'm going to try also adding a couple drops of mineral/baby oil to my fingers first for the extra 'slip' that provides. I will be using EXCLUSIVELY my fingers to detangle, then my Hairsense wide-tooth comb for smoothing only if needed (ie for an updo, preparing to braid, etc.)
I'll track how much hair I lose for the week or so it takes for the Unbrush to get to me while finger detangling/finger combing only, so I can get a baseline of hairs lost vs broken on average.
And when I actually have the Unbrush, I'll try adding that after the finger detangling for that nice relaxing moment and continue tracking broken hairs for a week or two for comparison's sake.
(ie is the Unbrush REALLY gentler than a Tangle Teezer, or would it be better in my case to just "bite the bullet" & finger detangle/comb EXCLUSIVELY?)

If I can eliminate or diminish the breakage I get just from brushing gently with a Tangle Teezer (smh,) that alone could DRAMATICALLY reduce my perpetual overly-tapered/scraggly-lookin' ends issue.

I'll update everyone on Tangle Teezer vs finger detangling only vs Unbrush on ultra-fine hair in a few weeks.

Another thought--sounds like the detangling problems are in the morning--do you wear a silk/satin bonnet to sleep? My hair is straight, coarse, and generally not prone to tangles, but I can definitely tell the difference when I brush in the morning if I forget my bonnet.

H.e.L
January 31st, 2024, 01:41 PM
I also stubbornly held onto using my BBB for a few months despite its lack of benefits for my own fine hair. I totally get that H.e.L! I think your approach of gradually eliminating possible problems sounds good, I hope it works for you. Your new routine sounds like a very gentle one. If the Unbrush is also not to your liking, you could also try a soft Goats Hair brush. I believe as a kid I had an antique one, and they aren't the best for detangling lots of tight knots, but they are definitely the gentlest brush of all, and give hair more shine than anything. My hair as a kid was so fine it definitely worked as a regular brush for me.

And as a footnote, the science of TTs is that they kind of protect us from ourselves and use their staggered, bendable bristles to tug gently on knots, but give up and slide over them if they aren't quickly worried free. I can imagine how for some people this could still cause too much mechanical damage...

Haha, I TRY to be scientific as I can about these things, because I know I tend to totally miss the obvious without holding onto data/running constant experiments. (Like, not realizing I have ultra fine hair because I thought my F hairs had to be "normal/Medium" since I could feel those, and the baby-fine ones had to be just plain "fine" because those were so much finer than the improperly labeled "medium" hairs. :rolleyes: lol)

And yyyeah, again, Tangle Teezers were "supposed to be" like the gentlest possible brushes, so it was just "IMPOSSIBLE" :rolleyes: that they weren't working for me.

I could just kick myself (to the MOON.) hahaha

H.e.L
January 31st, 2024, 01:43 PM
@mochichichi

I do both; I massage my scalp too, lol. AM & PM for about 10 minutes. (I only move the skin, not the hair...what's that called; "scalp over skull"? Anyway I'm so careful when I do it I don't even have to detangle afterwards.)
I use shampoo brushes *for the scalp massage* because that breaks fewer hairs *over using my fingers* (as in zero breakage most of the time.)
Feels SOOOO nice. :cool:
I just love the feeling of brushing by itself. Maybe it's an anxiety/self-soothing thing. :confused: :p

And I don't 'detangle' per say in the morning, in that my morning 'detangling' is more like just 'taking out my loose sleeping braid and running my fingers/comb (previously Tangle Teezer) through the braid-wavy hair from the ears down just to smooth it out' before bunning it for the day (usually a LWB or disc bun.)

The one proper detangling I do per day is before bed, and even that is not very 'properly' tangly (depending on how much time I spent outside with my kids/how much wind there was that day, whether or not I wore a headscarf.)

I do wear a satin, fully lined bonnet to bed. (No matter which way you wear it, it's got the silky smooth side of the material against your head.) Totally noticed a difference from that one, have been using one (or a satin pillowcase) for several years.

I do appreciate your time in making the suggestions though! :o

ETA: if I find that I can't use the Unbrush without experiencing "extra" breakage, then I'll just give it to my sister-in-law down the street, haha.

(Her hair's way thicker than mine so it should serve her well. She does have the most awful "rip from the roots to the ends" brushing technique though (it makes my skin crawl) so even if I really like mine I might buy another to gift her anyway, just to save her hair from herself lol)

Rainbouu
January 31st, 2024, 05:30 PM
What about scalp massages without brushing? I guess here it's important to differentiate between breakage on the length from brushing or "excess" shedding. But if the relaxation is the goal, I personally find massaging my scalp way more relaxing than the brushing on my lengths. Another thought--sounds like the detangling problems are in the morning--do you wear a silk/satin bonnet to sleep? My hair is straight, coarse, and generally not prone to tangles, but I can definitely tell the difference when I brush in the morning if I forget my bonnet.

My hair is straight, fine, and ultra slippery but has gotten a little more coarse and prone to tangles over the years, where before it never tangled. I understand H.e.L's struggle completely because I wear my hair in braids to bed as much as I can, because it's so comfortable! However, I don't like the braid waves, so I brush it after I get up. Then if I'm going out after work, I brush it again to give it a little more volume. I do find hair brushing to be really relaxing too heehee :) It's hard to quit

aloewurly
January 31st, 2024, 05:54 PM
Im sorry if this suggestion isn't helpful, but have you ever tried detangling damp hair with leave in conditioner on? One of my cousins has baby fine, tangle prone hair and its less damaging for her despite going against conventional wisdom. I would be extremely patient and gentle though, so you dont stretch/break hair.

H.e.L
January 31st, 2024, 08:35 PM
Im sorry if this suggestion isn't helpful, but have you ever tried detangling damp hair with leave in conditioner on? One of my cousins has baby fine, tangle prone hair and its less damaging for her despite going against conventional wisdom. I would be extremely patient and gentle though, so you dont stretch/break hair.

Not at all! I appreciate any suggestions people offer me. I asked for help, after all. :o

Unfortunately, it seems that when I pull too much when it's wet my hair follows conventional wisdom and (wait for it...) it breaks/falls out. In that way at least, my hair is very predictable haha.

I try to not pull on my hair whatsoever in the shower, I kinda "smoosh" the water into the scalp hair to get it soaked, smoosh the shampoo into soppingly wet hair (without pulling at all), rinse and smoosh to get the soap out.

Maybe next time it's tangled I'll mix myself up a DIY detangling spray though, I'll try it out and see if it helps.

Thank you!

ETJ CURLS
January 31st, 2024, 09:37 PM
Have you tried any strengthening treatments?

H.e.L
January 31st, 2024, 10:46 PM
Have you tried any strengthening treatments?

Only the DIY kind (like egg, honey, & yogurt or gelatin masks.)

Do you have any suggestions for brand/type? I live about an hour from the nearest Sally Beauty so I like to know what I'm looking for before I make the trek (I have 3 kids under 10 and we homeschool, so not a lot of time to peruse the beauty store/salon, hahaha.)

Lady Stardust
February 1st, 2024, 03:05 AM
I sympathise, H.e.L, because my hair breaks easily too. It used to break especially easily close to my face, but that has all but stopped since I started using babassu oil pre wash. I use it right up to the roots at the front, and at the nape, because those are the problem areas for me, and roughly from the ears down for the rest of my hair.

I love babassu oil because it penetrates the hair shaft and protects it while it’s washed. It works in the same way as coconut oil, but it doesn’t give the crunchiness and build up that some people experience with coconut oil. I think that slip and and flexibility have improved since I’ve been using it. The breakage used to start around ear level, but now the shortest part of my hair is at collarbone and there’s no breakage.

Pre oiling with any type of oil helps with protection, but I think the penetrating oils are especially beneficial. It might be worth looking into that, depending on what kind of oil you’re using at the moment?

The other key thing for me is using gentle shampoo, and products that don’t build up so I don’t need to use anything harsh to remove them. I love Giovanni Smooth As Silk shampoo and conditioner, but the shampoo isn’t quite enough for every wash so I also use Giovanni 50:50 Shampoo if I feel that my scalp needs something extra.

I detangle my hair while it has conditioner in, and if I keep it in a bun during the day, I barely need to detangle any other time. I just run my fingers through it. This is a new thing though since I cut out the last of the damage. My hair is only between APL and MBL so I don’t know if this will last as my hair grows longer.

I also use leave in conditioner when my hair is soaking wet after washing, to help to keep it hydrated.

I had problems with ferritin levels in recent years and that has probably contributed to my hair breaking more easily. It’s worth having a blood test to check vitamin levels, and iron and thyroid, if you haven’t done that already, as an imbalance can cause the hair to be brittle.

I’m being meticulous at the moment about covering my hair when I’m out, or at least making sure it’s contained. All of these things help, especially those weakest hairs of mine.

Rainbouu
February 1st, 2024, 09:13 AM
Only the DIY kind (like egg, honey, yogurt or gelatin masks.)

Do you have any suggestions for brand/type? I live about an hour from the nearest Sally Beauty so I like to know what I'm looking for before I make the trek (I have 3 kids under 10 and we homeschool, so not a lot of time to peruse the beauty store/salon, hahaha.)

I love the whole garnier fructis line, though I haven't actually tried their bond building line, I've been looking for other people's feedback on it. It seems promising, and affordable too. I've tried olaplex too, on unbleached hair, and it made my hair feel quite nice although I don't know if it's night and day for me. My own holy grail brand is The Mane Choice, a small dab of most of their products labeled protect or repair make my hair seriously beautiful without weighing it down, and the ends feel stronger. I find they last me a long time too. Their Ancient Egyptian line is all about preventing and baying split ends, and it's great if you love herbal haircare as all of their ingredients are naturally derived. (I know that's a bit gimmicky but their products really are wonderful imo). My personal favorite is the cream oil heavenly halo soy milk leave in from them. :)

H.e.L
February 1st, 2024, 09:25 AM
@Lady Stardust

On babassu oil:
OOH great suggestion, thank you!
I've never considered using babassu oil! I guess it looks so much like coconut oil I just unconsciously assumed that wouldn't work for me (coconut oil is obviously WAY too heavy/"sticky" for my hair, no shock there.) But I've been looking for a good "detangling/leave in oil" as many oils cause too much lingering "pull" on my strands and causes me to rip/yank hairs out due to the "drag" left on the hair strands.
I'll happily give babassu oil a shot, pre and post shower. And thanks again!

On wet, conditioned detangling:
I'm a little paranoid about detangling damp, even with conditioner, as my hair gets snapped or pulled right out of my scalp REAAALLLY easily post-shower. I'll try it for science, but I gotta admit I'm dubious. (I usually wait to detangle until it's 90% dry or bone dry, for best results.)
I'm also ordering a Wet Brush "Fine & Thin Hair" detangling comb. So maybe I'll detangle with that, wet & highly conditioned, once or twice when I get that comb and see if it's gentle enough to make wet/lubricated detangling work for me.

On anemia/low ferritin:
Now that you mention it, in the past, blood tests have shown that I have normal range ferritin (specifically on the low end of normal, but within tolerance.) However, my hemoglobin is naturally rather low. (Basically I just don't have enough red blood cells in my blood.)
Would that cause the same hair issues as too-low ferritin, do you think?

Lady Stardust
February 1st, 2024, 09:43 AM
I use a Tangle Teezer (the one with my handle) on my daughter’s hair and it does pull a load out. She has thick, dense, hair though and the proportion of hair she looses is small. I don’t use it myself, but I have much less hair so I can detangle with my fingers. On my daughter’s hair, it helps to rinse the conditioner and reapply it, so there’s more water in there, it seems to add slip.

Maybe wet/damp detangling doesn’t suit you though. It seems that most people get on better with dry detangling, but I’m not one of them. You know your hair best!

I don’t know about the haemoglobin count and how it would affect your hair, but it could be worth looking into?

H.e.L
February 1st, 2024, 10:11 AM
I love the whole garnier fructis line, though I haven't actually tried their bond building line, I've been looking for other people's feedback on it. It seems promising, and affordable too. I've tried olaplex too, on unbleached hair, and it made my hair feel quite nice although I don't know if it's night and day for me. My own holy grail brand is The Mane Choice, a small dab of most of their products labeled protect or repair make my hair seriously beautiful without weighing it down, and the ends feel stronger. I find they last me a long time too. Their Ancient Egyptian line is all about preventing and baying split ends, and it's great if you love herbal haircare as all of their ingredients are naturally derived. (I know that's a bit gimmicky but their products really are wonderful imo). My personal favorite is the cream oil heavenly halo soy milk leave in from them. :)

Those look awesome! I'll put the Ancient Egyptian treatment mask on my list for when I run out of the desert essence one I've been trying out. Thank you!

ETJ CURLS
February 1st, 2024, 10:46 AM
I definitely think it's worth looking into the low haemoglobin issue! It might be helpful to work with a nutritionist to make sure your diet isn't lacking anything that would be contributing to your hair health.

As far as strengthening treatments, incorporating a protein rich (usually advertised as "strengthening" vs "moisturising) mask or deep conditioner may help. I've only really tried olaplex myself, and had some good results, but that was on my bleached hair. Not sure how it would affect virgin hair, so please always do a strand test first with that or any new treatments.

H.e.L
February 1st, 2024, 11:07 AM
I use a Tangle Teezer (the one with my handle) on my daughter’s hair and it does pull a load out. She has thick, dense, hair though and the proportion of hair she looses is small. I don’t use it myself, but I have much less hair so I can detangle with my fingers. On my daughter’s hair, it helps to rinse the conditioner and reapply it, so there’s more water in there, it seems to add slip.

Maybe wet/damp detangling doesn’t suit you though. It seems that most people get on better with dry detangling, but I’m not one of them. You know your hair best!

I don’t know about the haemoglobin count and how it would affect your hair, but it could be worth looking into?

On wet detangling:
I'm going to try it out at least once, once I have my fine/thin hair specialized tools, just to see if it's a mechanical pressure/excessive force issue. If I can "make it work" with the gentle tools, I'd honestly prefer that (lubricated detangling.)
I'm not holding my breath, but I'd like to give it a fair shot.

On anemia:
From a few minutes of internet research, it seems low hemoglobin anemia can and does cause very similar physical symptoms as iron-deficiency anemia (the hair strand thinning & the hair becoming brittler and brittler over time, etc.) I'll definitely schedule some vitamin deficiency/hemoglobin count tests the next time I can get in to see my naturopath.

I really, really appreciate your suggestions!

spidermom
February 1st, 2024, 11:13 AM
I scanned through this thread and didn't see my ideas mentioned. If I scanned too fast and missed it, I'm sorry.

1) You mentioned that you can only get about 10 hairs to tailbone and assume it's because of breakage. It might not be. It might be because only a minimum number of hairs on your head have a long enough growth cycle to get that long.
2) The protein molecules of food products are usually too large to penetrate the hair shaft. You might get much better results using an over-the-counter hair mask.

I also have hair that is easily broken or damaged. Because I am renovating a house, most days I oil and braid my hair, bun the braids, then put a bandanna over my hair to keep dust and paint out of it. My hair is in the best condition that it's ever been at this length (between hip and tailbone). I guess it's true - the more protection from the elements, the better.

Oh, and as far as brushes, I rarely use them. I have a very soft natural bristle brush that I sometimes use before washing my hair, and that's it. When my hair is wet, I use a wide-tooth plastic comb and when it's dry I use a wooden comb. I also comb the conditioner through my hair before rinsing it out after washing. I of course do this very carefully so as not to stretch or break my hair.

H.e.L
February 1st, 2024, 11:18 AM
I definitely think it's worth looking into the low haemoglobin issue! It might be helpful to work with a nutritionist to make sure your diet isn't lacking anything that would be contributing to your hair health.

As far as strengthening treatments, incorporating a protein rich (usually advertised as "strengthening" vs "moisturising) mask or deep conditioner may help. I've only really tried olaplex myself, and had some good results, but that was on my bleached hair. Not sure how it would affect virgin hair, so please always do a strand test first with that or any new treatments.

Yeah I haven't had a blood test for hemoglobin/ferritin levels since my last child was born about 3 years ago. I'll definitely request those tests the next time I go see my naturopath. :)
I've recently committed to trying an elimination/mostly carnivore diet for the next few months, hopefully the extra meat consumption will help with my blood/iron levels in the meantime. :pray:

Maybe I'll try out that Shea Moisture "Power Protein" mask I saw at the grocery store the other day (I've only tried a couple of their products over the years, but I have consistently liked them.)

H.e.L
February 1st, 2024, 11:33 AM
I scanned through this thread and didn't see my ideas mentioned. If I scanned too fast and missed it, I'm sorry.

1) You mentioned that you can only get about 10 hairs to tailbone and assume it's because of breakage. It might not be. It might be because only a minimum number of hairs on your head have a long enough growth cycle to get that long.
2) The protein molecules of food products are usually too large to penetrate the hair shaft. You might get much better results using an over-the-counter hair mask.

I also have hair that is easily broken or damaged. Because I am renovating a house, most days I oil and braid my hair, bun the braids, then put a bandanna over my hair to keep dust and paint out of it. My hair is in the best condition that it's ever been at this length (between hip and tailbone). I guess it's true - the more protection from the elements, the better.

Oh, and as far as brushes, I rarely use them. I have a very soft natural bristle brush that I sometimes use before washing my hair, and that's it. When my hair is wet, I use a wide-tooth plastic comb and when it's dry I use a wooden comb. I also comb the conditioner through my hair before rinsing it out after washing. I of course do this very carefully so as not to stretch or break my hair.

On TBL possibly being my natural terminal length:
I had thought of that, and if it's true I'll just have to make my peace with it.
But I've always had so much of an issue with "excess" breakage/shedding (probably due to the long-term mild anemia, and thank you to everyone who pointed that out!) I'm still hoping that if I resolve the breakage/"unnatural" strand weakness, I might also find that TBL is actually a FALSE terminal for me.
Hey, a girl can dream. lol

On DIY food-type protein treatment molecules being too large to penetrate:
Oh wow, I didn't realize! Thank you very much for pointing it out, I wasn't aware of that.
Yes I'll definitely try a store-bought one for bi-monthly or monthly use then. (Probably that Shea Moisture one I mentioned earlier unless anyone has other suggestions that they like way better...?)

On damage-reducing styles:
Yeah my hair is in a gentle, comfortably loose bun or braid literally about 98% of the time, and covered if I'm doing something dirty/dusty or if I'm out in bright sunshine for an extended period or if it's windy.

On combs/brushes vs finger detangling:
Through all this great feedback/research I've been doing as a result, I've pretty much decided already that I'm going to have to make finger detangling/finger combing ONLY my non-wash day default, and from now on I will only break out the combs or gentle, fine/thin hair-safe brushes just before I do a wash.

I'll still be reporting my Unbrush results on this thread of course (already ordered the Unbrush/Wet Brush fine-hair brush & matching comb, lol), but I won't be testing it more than a couple times per week as I only wash on Wednesdays and Saturdays.

Again everyone; thank you, thank you, THANK YOU for taking the time to help me out with this!

Rainbouu
February 1st, 2024, 10:57 PM
Re: comments about blood/anemia/hemoglobin and terminal length...

I know this is a kind of random thread to drop this in, but in my personal experience I think most people's "terminal length" is actually much longer than they think it is. I am currently a trainee in electrolysis hair removal, and there's admittedly very few good studies about hair...but one of our books, Milady's Hair Removal Techniques: A Comprehensive Guide by Helen Bickmore, lists the average growth phase of a hair on the scalp to be 2-6 years long. I also believe individual hairs can go from a growth phase to a resting phase, back to a growth phase, as "dead" hairs that are ready to shed tend to be white at the base, but I have seen many hairs which are striped as if their growth has stopped and resumed multiple times. I'll acknowledge these are body hairs, but as far as I can tell they aren't vastly different from scalp hair; scalp hair just has the longest active growth phase on the body. As long as both growth is being stimulated, and length is being retained, I think a human scalp hair can theoretically grow forever in ideal conditions, though it's not proven, I have seen how crazy hair can be. :P

Anyway, hairs that receive a lot of moisture and bloodflow are also more nourished at the root, I see this every day as I remove hair. Even your sweat can help keep your hair hydrated...there are many more plump, live club hairs in the armpit and backs of the knee, which get more sweat, than on our legs, which tend to be drier as they're exposed to the elements, and the lower extremities have worse circulation.

I'll echo others advice; making sure your blood is in good health and circulating well is always top priority. If there is a medication that a doctor would recommend, you might see a big spurt in hair growth. A balanced diet and drinking lots of water also helps of course, as simple as it sounds, I know I myself am not getting enough water. :)

Sorry for rambling, I just think these things are fascinating, and I doubt you are at your terminal if you don't want to be, but there may be other health factors at play.

GrazierGirl
February 2nd, 2024, 11:30 AM
H.e.L. I have re-started carnivore last month too! I was Carnivore from 2018 to 2020, then learned to make soirdough. Big mistake. Hopefully it will have hair benefits.

H.e.L
February 2nd, 2024, 12:29 PM
@Rainbouu

On growth/terminal length:
That's interesting! There seems to be conflicting data on terminal lengths; most seem to think it's a "hard and fast rule" (ie there's no getting around it.)
But I've ALSO seen members on here who inexplicably grew past what they thought FOR SURE must have been their terminal length just with time (sometimes several years) & a suitable care routine.
The main question is, is it only one or the other (ie terminals are a brick wall, vs hair might go dormant, then grow again, then grow dormant as you said, and some other factor might cause them to finally shed vs maybe your terminal length is variable over time depending on certain factors?)

Are those the only possibilities as far as growing your hair out to your desired length, that depend on your personal genetics, or is it ALWAYS "hard and fast...but it's just ALSO possible to also have a consistent 'false terminal' due to mechanical damage occurring at the same spot for a consistent period, improper diet or haircare (based on faulty knowledge of personal hair type requirements--I'm an example of this haha---ie what your hair 'likes?'")
I find this topic fascinating, too. :D

There are several LHC members I've followed a bit that have thought--for several years in a row, even--that their un-maintained ends were just "at terminal" so they couldn't grow longer. BUT THEN with proper care (or maybe just time/excellent habits,) their length started to creep down yet again.
In that circumstance, on here they just call that a "growth stall" I'm pretty sure. It's a bit of an amorphous concept, false terminals. Too many variables, I guess.

On health/anemia/getting tests:
Oh, definitely; I intend to get to my healthcare practitioner for those tests before too long. I live an hour away from mine (I live about an hour away from most places, lol) but I'll be scheduling that meeting shortly.

In the meantime, I'm doing that carnivore/elimination diet (I figure eating lots of healthy fats and red meat could be really good for my blood quality. I also work out every weekday morning so I definitely get enough blood flow to my scalp that way (hahaha), I drink about 120oz of water (with added electrolytes or salt) per day, and if that weren't enough, as I mentioned I ALSO do a 10 minute scalp massage at least once, usually twice per day.
I'm doing pretty much all I can physically do to help with my overall health/hair quality, in other words. :heartbeat8):thumbsup:
(Obviously not all of those things are done JUST for the sake of improving my hair, lol, but it doesn't hurt that they also apparently really help with scalp health, eh? :D)

PS
I like your rambling! I learned something. :blossom:

H.e.L
February 2nd, 2024, 12:44 PM
H.e.L. I have re-started carnivore last month too! I was Carnivore from 2018 to 2020, then learned to make soirdough. Big mistake. Hopefully it will have hair benefits.

Ooh, a veteran! :happydance:
Do tell! Any benefits you got from doing it for so long that you feel like sharing?
(I've only been doing it for about three weeks, I might have said that already. Just got past the keto-flu thing, starting to feel better just recently.)
I'm really interested; did you start carnivore mostly just as an elimination diet to figure out food sensitivities & such, or just for the health benefits in general?
Do/did you do hardcore "just beef, salt, and water," or more of a "if it came from any animal or sea creature, it's on the table" kinda strategy?

:eye: *rapt attention* :eye:

Rainbouu
February 2nd, 2024, 02:10 PM
@H.e.L it's funny because in the terminology of an Electrologist, a "Terminal Hair" refers to how deep your hair follicle is. A terminal hair is very deep, healthy, and vital, so if it is an unwanted body hair they're the hardest to eliminate. But a terminal scalp hair would be good here, if we're using that terminology, as it would mean the hair is not just going to fall out.

Most people here will understand what's going on at the tips of your hair has no way of being communicated to your hair papilla, so if you hair breaks at the end only, as long as the root is healthy, it will keep growing, or just rest a while. That's why I think terminal is a subjective, not objective term, and tgat hair can grow indefinitely, until I am proven otherwise. In the sane book I mentioned, it also states around 65-85% of the hairs on your head are in an active growth stage, so the scalp is tge area of the body with the most active, live, growing hairs, and they hang around for the most years before any chance of shedding. I like these odds a lot lol, I feel that knowing that anyone can grow their hair, it's length retention That's more difficult.

spidermom
February 2nd, 2024, 02:29 PM
Yes - we can dream! Lol! I've been on here long enough to have observed that someone can think terminal length has been reached for years, and suddenly the hair grows longer. To be truthful though, I've only seen that happen to one person.

I agree with the plan to optimize hair care, then wait and see how the length responds.

H.e.L
February 2nd, 2024, 02:39 PM
@H.e.L it's funny because in the terminology of an Electrologist, a "Terminal Hair" refers to how deep your hair follicle is. A terminal hair is very deep, healthy, and vital, so if it is an unwanted body hair they're the hardest to eliminate. But a terminal scalp hair would be good here, if we're using that terminology, as it would mean the hair is not just going to fall out.

Most people here will understand what's going on at the tips of your hair has no way of being communicated to your hair papilla, so if you hair breaks at the end only, as long as the root is healthy, it will keep growing, or just rest a while. That's why I think terminal is a subjective, not objective term, and tgat hair can grow indefinitely, until I am proven otherwise. In the sane book I mentioned, it also states around 65-85% of the hairs on your head are in an active growth stage, so the scalp is tge area of the body with the most active, live, growing hairs, and they hang around for the most years before any chance of shedding. I like these odds a lot lol, I feel that knowing that anyone can grow their hair, it's length retention That's more difficult.

On different meanings of 'terminal':
Yeah that totally makes sense in the context of your profession. Nifty!
Does using that term for such a fundamentally different concept in your daily life, make it jarring to see it used so differently in LHC posts? (If it were me, I'd have to do a mental "manual reset" in my brain every time I read or posted about it on here, lol.)

On your "terminal length" thesis:
That's as good a theory as I've ever heard!
Such an interesting topic; how the body works I mean.
Especially if you're a bit of a stubborn hair idiot like me who was this many years old before I really took notice of the fact that my hair is ridiculously fine, protein-deprived, and so breakable I've literally been actively murdering my hemline with my daily Tangle Teeze-ing for a DECADE. :disgust::doh:
So yeah I need all the info/help I can get haha.

In my defense, I've been REALLY distracted with all the homesteading & homeschooling we've been doing.

:violin:

H.e.L
February 2nd, 2024, 02:44 PM
Yes - we can dream! Lol! I've been on here long enough to have observed that someone can think terminal length has been reached for years, and suddenly the hair grows longer. To be truthful though, I've only seen that happen to one person.

I agree with the plan to optimize hair care, then wait and see how the length responds.

Hear hear, spidermom! That's the best any of us can do. :blossom:

I'm just now properly getting with the program, hopefully my routine adjustments bear some noticeable fruit for me. :magic:

On the upside, it should only take about 2 years for me to get back to TBL again. (Well, theoretically anyway, if my usual growth rate holds.)
At that point, we'll have a better idea of whether or not that thus-far impassible milestone is, in fact, TRULY my terminal length, or if it has just been a byproduct of the long term anemia & poor haircare this whole time.

H.e.L
February 12th, 2024, 10:48 PM
Well, I'm not gonna waste your time. (I'm gonna sound like a dang commercial, but the facts are the facts. lol)

I got the Unbrush and it's so ridiculously superior to the Tangle Teezer (for me) in every possible functional metric. The materials are, as reported in some review videos I found, flimsy-feeling but plenty sturdy for the kind of "heavy lifting" it does.
I brushed my hair exactly as I always do (bottom 3 inches, move up 3 and sweep it through, repeat until it's brushed all the way up to the roots.) I lost EXACTLY the same amount of normal, shed hairs as I normally do when simply finger detangling.

NO. BREAKAGE.

It goes through like a hot knife through butter, yet somehow without breaking ANY hairs. It hardly tugs when you pull it through your strands; it simply "tai-chi" its way through the hair like water, my friend. Like water.

Sooo yeah, I'm giving both of my TT's away and if I ever need a replacement, I'm getting another Unbrush. :cool:

(Also picked up a Wet Brush on Lapushka's suggestion, and that is ALMOST as good as the Unbrush for me. My hair is a lint magnet, and after only one use there was lint that needed to be picked out of the little round tips on the bristles. It is very gentle, I love it, I just don't want to have to clean it all the time, so I'll save it for my shampoo days. The Unbrush has no little ball things so cleaning it is simpler.)

If I had to score, I'd personally give the Unbrush a 10/10, Wet Brush Fine & Thin a 9/10 and now that I know my hair a little better, I'd have to give my Tangle Teezer a 6/10. I know they work BEAUTIFULLY for most people, they're just too rough for me apparently. I just wish I'd been observant enough to figure that out sooner and save myself the breakage.

On a different note, for those who are curious, I've also finally got my hands on a Shea Moisture protein mask which I'll be using for the first time this weekend. Hopefully I will start seeing some benefits from that soon and we can get this crazy breakage further under control. :o

If anyone's interested, I'll post again in a couple weeks with whether the protein treatments have helped me out measurably.

Everyone that has contributed with suggestions/insights, thank you very much!

Lady Stardust
February 13th, 2024, 02:32 AM
That’s great to hear! I’ll keep the Unbrush in mind if I need a brush in future.

I would love to hear how you’re getting on with protein treatments etc. I used to find that protein built up on my hair, but my hair is completely virgin now and I think that will make a difference. It used to build up where there was henna.

spirals
February 13th, 2024, 04:40 AM
Just popping in to say that the title is me.
I can't do ANYTHING wihout tangles/breakage/splits. It might be a curly head thing idk.

ETJ CURLS
February 13th, 2024, 07:58 AM
Hoorah! Glad to hear it's working for you!!

Rainbouu
February 13th, 2024, 09:28 AM
So glad to hear that it's working well for you! I'm excited to hear how your protein treatments go as well; just remember if you overdo the treatments it can cause your hair to feel crunchy and rough. It isn't actually damaged, certain kinds of protein can just build up on the hair giving it a rough texture. If you follow the instructions on your protein product and use plenty of conditioners and/or oils to give your hair extra slip, you should be golden.

And to answer your earlier question, the different use of the term "terminal hair" here doesn't confuse me because I heard it in the LHC context first haha! I just have to think of it as a "hair in it's final state", and I'm able to explain it to my clients in relation to body hair removal as well, without getting mixed up.

rosenester
February 13th, 2024, 11:17 AM
I’m happy to hear you update on the new brush. I have an unbrush in my a amazon cart because of this thread. (I hadn’t heard of it). I mostly use a TT, but definitely get some mechanical damage from brushing but figured I was using the best products I could, and combs just don’t work for me. The TT is really annoying for me to clean as well, it gets easily filled with dust.

sarana
February 13th, 2024, 04:24 PM
Waah, I just got a new brush. Do I have to buy an Unbrush now too ;__;

Your endorsement is so effective

H.e.L
February 13th, 2024, 04:45 PM
That’s great to hear! I’ll keep the Unbrush in mind if I need a brush in future.

I would love to hear how you’re getting on with protein treatments etc. I used to find that protein built up on my hair, but my hair is completely virgin now and I think that will make a difference. It used to build up where there was henna.

My hair has been virgin for almost 10 years, so hopefully it'll go well for me. :)
Ok, I'll definitely update after I've done my first protein mask this weekend.

H.e.L
February 13th, 2024, 04:49 PM
Just popping in to say that the title is me.
I can't do ANYTHING wihout tangles/breakage/splits. It might be a curly head thing idk.

I'm bad at visual hair typing; are you a 2c? Beautiful, I've always wished mine was more curly (for the texture/volume) but I suppose the more curl you have, the harder it is to get away with manipulating it without breakage. Sigh, the grass is always greener, eh?

Ah well, if you're the type that will detangle wet, I can endorse the Unbrush. The extra gentleness might be helpful to you. :)

H.e.L
February 13th, 2024, 04:52 PM
Hoorah! Glad to hear it's working for you!!

Thanks!
Yeah I'm jazzed that the Unbrush is just what I needed, and I don't have to give up on my love of brushing, haha.
Now I'm feeling a bit more positive, and hopeful that the protein treatment this weekend will help me out. :)

H.e.L
February 13th, 2024, 04:58 PM
So glad to hear that it's working well for you! I'm excited to hear how your protein treatments go as well; just remember if you overdo the treatments it can cause your hair to feel crunchy and rough. It isn't actually damaged, certain kinds of protein can just build up on the hair giving it a rough texture. If you follow the instructions on your protein product and use plenty of conditioners and/or oils to give your hair extra slip, you should be golden.

And to answer your earlier question, the different use of the term "terminal hair" here doesn't confuse me because I heard it in the LHC context first haha! I just have to think of it as a "hair in it's final state", and I'm able to explain it to my clients in relation to body hair removal as well, without getting mixed up.

Ok, cool!
Yeah I've heard some horror stories about crunching ends (shudder:), so I think I'm going to try every other week at most, and if that builds up too much I'll do a protein treatment once a month instead, 1 week after my monthly clarifying wash.
Then I'll do moisturizing/deep treatments the other couple weeks of the month & repeat that every month.

Haha, maybe I'm just a birdbrain. :p Yeah, short-hand ing it as "hair in its final state" is a great way to think about/explain it.

H.e.L
February 13th, 2024, 05:02 PM
I’m happy to hear you update on the new brush. I have an unbrush in my a amazon cart because of this thread. (I hadn’t heard of it). I mostly use a TT, but definitely get some mechanical damage from brushing but figured I was using the best products I could, and combs just don’t work for me. The TT is really annoying for me to clean as well, it gets easily filled with dust.

Ugh, I had that problem too. Like fine powder on the "roots" of the brush. Had to clean that sucker all the flippin time. (Dry scalp.)

But yeah, please do update us on your experience with the Unbrush! My introduction was so awesome, I'm really curious if it's going to be widely found to be one of the generally best alternatives to a TT for us fineys.

H.e.L
February 13th, 2024, 05:07 PM
Waah, I just got a new brush. Do I have to buy an Unbrush now too ;__;

Your endorsement is so effective

Hahaha!

Sorry? lol. Yeah it seemed too good to be true, but then I saw several channels I follow on YouTube praising it and got all curious & hopeful. I don't regret my purchase for a second!

It's seriously my favorite hair purchase since I discovered the flexi-clip (and I use those pretty much every single day.)

And yeah, like I said to rosenester; if you do end up purchasing one, please do drop a review here!
Might as well keep 'em all in one spot as much as possible. :)

rosenester
February 15th, 2024, 04:57 PM
Ugh, I had that problem too. Like fine powder on the "roots" of the brush. Had to clean that sucker all the flippin time. (Dry scalp.)

But yeah, please do update us on your experience with the Unbrush! My introduction was so awesome, I'm really curious if it's going to be widely found to be one of the generally best alternatives to a TT for us fineys.

My unbrush arrived today! First impressions are great. Compared to my TT’s with a handle, it’s much lighter and definitely will be easier to clean.

I parted my hair which hadn’t been brushed in 24 hours (washed last night, airdried and bunned until now). I used the TT on one side and the unbrush on the other. It was much quicker and smoother with the unbrush, that I gave up halfway up with the TT and switched to the unbrush on that side. Not very scientific as I was trying to see if there was more or less breakage from each brush. :laugh:

So, after one brush session no sure sign of it breaking my baby fine hair any more or less, but it definitely feels great, slipped through my hair easily. The tines are spaced apart just right and super flexible, and it’s heat resistant so the random winter days I blow dry my hair I have a brush to use now. I hope it’s durable and lasts and I find less breaks, white dits and splits over time.

I do also love my TEK brush still, and use that at least 2x a week, and will continue to alternate plastic and wood brushing but tossing my older TT’s now. (Keeping the newest one but I have them sprinkled in every room) :doh:

OK- rant over. Thanks for introducing this product to me, H.e.L! :flower:

spirals
February 15th, 2024, 11:52 PM
I'm bad at visual hair typing; are you a 2c? Beautiful, I've always wished mine was more curly (for the texture/volume) but I suppose the more curl you have, the harder it is to get away with manipulating it without breakage. Sigh, the grass is always greener, eh?

Ah well, if you're the type that will detangle wet, I can endorse the Unbrush. The extra gentleness might be helpful to you. :)

I have a mix of everything from 2a to 3a. I tend to detangle when it's dry, a few days out from a wash when it's gone straighter and I need to braid or put it up. It probably is the tightness of the waves and the spirally nature of the loose curls that does it. Torrin Paige says that curly hair "loves itself" haha. It sticks together.

sarana
March 7th, 2024, 07:11 PM
Okay I just received the Unbrush in the mail, and my first impression is ...that I kinda hate it xD

Feels very cheap and plasticky and ...hard to me. I expected it to be much more bendy and soft and flexible.

I have considered the possibility that I've received a counterfeit item, but it looks like the real deal.

I will continue to try it out for a little longer, but for now I much prefer my wooden brush and my old plastic paddle one and even my TT that I'm not too fond of either.

But I'm very happy if it works well for you others! It would be lovely if a magic brush just solved all my tangle issues.

LittleQuill
March 7th, 2024, 09:38 PM
Okay I just received the Unbrush in the mail, and my first impression is ...that I kinda hate it xD

Feels very cheap and plasticky and ...hard to me. I expected it to be much more bendy and soft and flexible.

From what I've seen of it in YouTube videos, it seems like that to me as well. Do you comb your hair in the shower with conditioner in it? I've seen a lot of videos of people using it for wet hair, maybe it works better for that? :confused: Thanks to its plastic-yness and rigidness seeming, it's probably not going anywhere near my hair. Then again, I don't have one, so I can't say anything besides observations. :shrug: Also, there does ​appear to be some dupes around, and if the original one looks cheaply made, how are you going to know if you got a dupe or not? One thing I will say about them, though. I like the colours I've seen them come in. :skittles:

MissHair
March 7th, 2024, 11:01 PM
Never heard of Unbrush but the OP was funny to read with the sneezing part 😄 Im off to google "Unbrush" now.

sarana
March 9th, 2024, 06:47 AM
LittleQuill My hair's straight, fine and thin so I don't brush it wet, I brush it dry. I guess this might work better for the curly/kinky people who detangle during wash day

Eastbound&Down
March 9th, 2024, 01:27 PM
I have a knockoff unbrush and I like it for serious detangling with conditioner and when rinsing conditioner out in the shower. My hair is thick and curly and not prone to a ton of breakage.

GrazierGirl
March 10th, 2024, 01:54 AM
Ooh, a veteran! :happydance:
Do tell! Any benefits you got from doing it for so long that you feel like sharing?
(I've only been doing it for about three weeks, I might have said that already. Just got past the keto-flu thing, starting to feel better just recently.)
I'm really interested; did you start carnivore mostly just as an elimination diet to figure out food sensitivities & such, or just for the health benefits in general?
Do/did you do hardcore "just beef, salt, and water," or more of a "if it came from any animal or sea creature, it's on the table" kinda strategy?

:eye: *rapt attention* :eye:
Hi H.e.l. I live for eating steak. In 2020, I was lean and strong. My hair looks good for my age, and I look younger than most women my age. My BIG MISTAKE was adding sourdough to my diet. Then sweets, treats, nuts and wine (I was not drinking since 2016).
Fast forward to today, I quit bread last year, and alcohol at Christmas. I have recently gone beef and water to sort out IBS symptoms. I have even given up tea and water.
I have shifted 8 kg of the 10 kg I gained.