PDA

View Full Version : Silk bonnets: Natural or Synthetic?

bushkin
January 12th, 2024, 09:31 AM
Which do you think are more protective? I am trying to decide if ought to make my own out of some silky thrifted material or splurge on a 100% silk one online.

TatsuOni
January 12th, 2024, 09:40 AM
I've made one from real silk and one from a synthetic polyester satin. I find that both protect my hair equally.

The ups and downs: Real silk is a bit more cool in the summer, but can't be washed with regular detergent. Quite expensive!

Polyester or similar materials are a bit warmer, but can be washed with the rest of the laundry. A lot cheaper.

bushkin
January 12th, 2024, 09:57 AM
I've made one from real silk and one from a synthetic polyester satin. I find that both protect my hair equally.

The ups and downs: Real silk is a bit more cool in the summer, but can't be washed with regular detergent. Quite expensive!

Polyester or similar materials are a bit warmer, but can be washed with the rest of the laundry. A lot cheaper.

Yes, it seems like my natural bonnets have worn out a lot sooner than poly too unfortunately

NymphSpirit
January 12th, 2024, 02:30 PM
Cotton satin is much cooler than polyester satin jsyk! I didn't know it existed until pretty recently.

Reyn127
January 12th, 2024, 03:19 PM
I use synthetic material - I actually use a synthetic satin pillowcase, inside out so the slippery part is on my hair, and tie it with a hair tie. It’s cheap and easy to find. But overall, anything is better than nothing, so I think there’s nothing wrong with the synthetic if it’s easier for you to find and care for.

Für immer
January 12th, 2024, 03:23 PM
Cotton satin is much cooler than polyester satin jsyk! I didn't know it existed until pretty recently.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't cotton worse material for your hair? So, if to choose between cotton satin and polyester satin, shouldn't the polyester be the better choice? :hmm:

I use synthetic material - I actually use a synthetic satin pillowcase, inside out so the slippery part is on my hair, and tie it with a hair tie. It’s cheap and easy to find. But overall, anything is better than nothing, so I think there’s nothing wrong with the synthetic if it’s easier for you to find and care for.

Another aspect of this question is that us vegans wouldn't want to use silk and therefore opts for other alternatives, the polyester satin for one. :)

Complexity
January 12th, 2024, 05:56 PM
Mine are synthetic; probably poly. I'm going hunting for cotton ones this weekend, though, because-

- Neither did I! I sometimes skip wearing mine in the summer because it can sometimes still be so hot at night and I am not the type of person to wash things seperately and in special detergent; this sounds like a great alternative!

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't cotton worse material for your hair? So, if to choose between cotton satin and polyester satin, shouldn't the polyester be the better choice? :hmm:
The way that satin is weaved is what creates that soft-on-one-side material. What the main difference would be between the two, I would think, would be breatheability and I've never been so excited to go on a fabric hunt. :inlove:

Deborah
January 12th, 2024, 07:47 PM
Real silk will not cause static but polyester will. If you sew you could buy a silk blouse or shirt pretty cheaply at a thrift store, cut a big circle, Hem, and insert elastic. Voila! A silk bonnet.

TatsuOni
January 13th, 2024, 12:00 AM
Mine are synthetic; probably poly. I'm going hunting for cotton ones this weekend, though, because-

- Neither did I! I sometimes skip wearing mine in the summer because it can sometimes still be so hot at night and I am not the type of person to wash things seperately and in special detergent; this sounds like a great alternative!

The way that satin is weaved is what creates that soft-on-one-side material. What the main difference would be between the two, I would think, would be breatheability and I've never been so excited to go on a fabric hunt. :inlove:

I find cotton satin to be way too ruff for my hair. Also drying. I don't even use cotton for my pillowcases anymore. I sew my own from polyester satin.

Real silk will not cause static but polyester will. If you sew you could buy a silk blouse or shirt pretty cheaply at a thrift store, cut a big circle, Hem, and insert elastic. Voila! A silk bonnet.

I don't agree. Polyester can for some peole cause static. Not everyone and not me. It's also worth to know that not all polyster satin is equal to each other.

Für immer
January 13th, 2024, 12:32 AM
I find cotton satin to be way too ruff for my hair. Also drying. I don't even use cotton for my pillowcases anymore. I sew my own from polyester satin.

I don't agree. Polyester can for some peole cause static. Not everyone and not me. It's also worth to know that not all polyster satin is equal to each other.

This. My thinking exactly. :agree:

Nefcerka
January 13th, 2024, 01:08 AM

This is a really good recipe for a silk bonnet if you want to try it!
Personally, I bought cheapest polyester satin bonnets, they don´t make my hair static (but I wear a braid for sleep) and I like how easy they are to wash - I wash them with other laundry sometimes at 40° C, or even 60° C. I cannot imagine washing real silk, too much hassle.

UncommonTart
January 14th, 2024, 06:59 PM
Silk for me. I try to avoid polyester and other plastic fibers, as microplastics are a real and growing problem and every time you wash polyester it sheds microplastics. Added benefit: IMO silk is just more comfortable.

ETA: I wash my silk turbans with regular detergent when I do my delicates, just pop them into a net bag and they're fine.

TatsuOni
January 14th, 2024, 11:59 PM
Silk for me. I try to avoid polyester and other plastic fibers, as microplastics are a real and growing problem and every time you wash polyester it sheds microplastics. Added benefit: IMO silk is just more comfortable.

ETA: I wash my silk turbans with regular detergent when I do my delicates, just pop them into a net bag and they're fine.

They will surely wear out quicker this way. I did the same with a skirt when I was younger and didn't know better. Eventually it fell into pieces. The enzyms in the detergent breaks down the silk.

Sure one can do this, until the silk breaks, but for me I will not do that with such an expesive material. So I either hand wash, or fill up the machine with scarves and pillowcases from all materials and wash them with the silk wash. Other laundry can be washed with silk detergent, but it is more expensive.

Complexity
January 15th, 2024, 05:12 AM
I did the same with a black silk shirt that I loved when I was an early-teen. Ah, well; we live and learn. Miss that shirt, though.

I do think I'll try to find a silk-somethikng the next time I'm at a thrift store - but there isn't one in my small town so I hope I remember whenever that is - except this time I'll care for it properly! :lol:

TatsuOni
January 15th, 2024, 09:03 AM
I did the same with a black silk shirt that I loved when I was an early-teen. Ah, well; we live and learn. Miss that shirt, though.

I do think I'll try to find a silk-somethikng the next time I'm at a thrift store - but there isn't one in my small town so I hope I remember whenever that is - except this time I'll care for it properly! :lol:

I've been very happy to find silk scarves in thrift stores here for a very cheap price. Buying anything new in silk is very expensive!

knobbly
January 15th, 2024, 06:33 PM
I prefer polyester satin honestly. Ease of washing is important and the poly doesn’t make me overheat like it does to some.

Maybe someday I’ll switch but for now I have two long poly satin bonnets I rotate and switch out whenever I wash my hair or my scalp. Works for me.

UncommonTart
January 16th, 2024, 03:24 PM
They will surely wear out quicker this way. I did the same with a skirt when I was younger and didn't know better. Eventually it fell into pieces. The enzyms in the detergent breaks down the silk.

Sure one can do this, until the silk breaks, but for me I will not do that with such an expesive material. So I either hand wash, or fill up the machine with scarves and pillowcases from all materials and wash them with the silk wash. Other laundry can be washed with silk detergent, but it is more expensive.

Eh, I've been doing it for twenty five years and it's worked fine, so I'm satisfied. There's a big difference between thin delicate silk and heavier weight silk. I do a lot of textile work, so I'm pretty well acquainted with different types of detergent and laundering delicate fabrics.

TatsuOni
January 17th, 2024, 10:23 AM
Everyone is free to do as they please. But I'm going to continue to take as good care as I can, of such an expensive material, that takes such time and work to produce.

LadyLongLocks
January 20th, 2024, 05:37 AM
Satin bonnets. I have some thinner polyester ones too but they slip off. They must have a thick headband to stay all night. Got some great satin ones from Eternally in amber. The satin does tend to be too warm in the summer though. I feel they are very protective.
(I avoid silk since I am vegan.)