PDA

View Full Version : scalp condition causing bald patches

Emila
December 31st, 2023, 02:33 AM
Hi lovely longhaired peeps

I have been having scalp issues for ages now. I haven't been in here much because I'm just kind of down and giving on my hair.

I had hair loss for serveral months following covid, telogen effluveum, it finally stopped and about the same time it stopped I got another issue.

I have been to my doctor several times but I'm really not happy with how that's going.

So I'm getting bald patches. I thinks its a result of a scalp condition. I am getting sore bumps occaisionnally, and the scalp seems to be raised and very sensitive in patches, then the skin in the area turns scaly and I get a bald spot. My doctor was initially unconcerned, saying it was mild dermatitus and the hair would grow back, prescribed steroid creams. But both the creams he precribed actualy made the condition worse.

I'm using medicated shampoo which I think helps but I'm not sure. It's still happening.

I don't have dandruf. I don't have flakey bits of skin in my hair. I just have localised patches of dryness that are scaly and a bit rough - like the skin is burred, and the area is bald.

I've had to change how I part my hair and the bald areas are increasing in size and in number. I personally think its some kind of infection as I think it is "spreading" somehow. I feel I get a little relief from putting some tea tree oil on the patches - it seems to dry them out more but I think stops the spread. But it could just be all in my head. Whatever it is, it seems like the spreading is inevitable and I can't stop it.

consulting doctor google, I wonder if its folliculitis. the patchyness of it seems like that. But I don't know if my hair follicules are infected like that. I dont have pimples or white heads visible at all. I do get very occaisional sore bumps but they seem to be deeper under the skin than the pictures for follicultis.

I asked my doctor for a referal to see a dermatologist and they want to do a biopsy instead of a referral. I initially agreed to this but now I'm worried I'm going to go too bald before I get the answers and treatment I need. I'm really starting to panic.

I don't think the hair is growing back. I am staying bald in the patches.

Has anyone ever experienced something like this?

My hair is finally approaching long but now its getting thinner and thinner, one way or another, and these bald patches, I know I might seem vain but I'm really sad and its affecting my confidence.

I am getting bloods done and eveything too... I have had a lot of stress for a long period of time and clinical anxiety and other mental health diagnoses... but I don't think its stress because of the symtpms indicate some kind of scalp condition to me.

I have never experienced this before. I wonder if I have got this from trying to do long hair techniques ironically - like sleeping with wet hair because my hair takes sooo long to dry naturally. I've recently started blow drying my scalp after washing because I think damp scalp isn't good for it but I don't know, I'm probably just paranoid about everything now.

Im just venting really. but if anyone else has experienced this please share your experience?:(

thanks heaps for listening

Dragon
December 31st, 2023, 04:17 AM
It’s good your doctor is doing bloodwork and a biopsy. If they come back normal, I’d personally get on the doctor’s back again about seeing a dermatologist. It’s also good that if your hair is taking forever to dry, that you are drying your scalp. The Scalp being wet for too long can cause fungal infections which can cause hair loss. I noticed you have mentioned about mental health diagnosis, if you are treating your mental health with medication, it would be worth looking into those as well as some people do experience hair loss with Antidepressants. Also medications such as birth control can cause it as well. It would be worth looking at your medications and asking your doctor about them incase they could be contributing to it.

lapushka
December 31st, 2023, 06:18 AM
Ask your physician to have a hormone panel done, see if your hormones are balanced out. I have no clue how old you are, but puberty and menopause both can wreak havoc on the body.

ETJ CURLS
January 1st, 2024, 08:43 AM
I would definitely also consult with a dermatologist, trichologist, and gynecologist. Each may be able to pinpoint issues the others have missed. It may also be helpful to speak to a nutritionist. At this point, you can't rule anything out.

tigereye
January 1st, 2024, 08:56 AM
Definitely see a dermatologist - there's a whole variety of things it could be and the treatments for some could be aggravating factors for others, so it's best to get a proper diagnosis.
I lost a lot of hair before discovering I had scalp psoriasis, and I only found out about that because I sought out a diagnosis for a skin issue around my eye (which was also psoriasis).

Dragon
January 1st, 2024, 09:04 AM
Definitely see a dermatologist - there's a whole variety of things it could be and the treatments for some could be aggravating factors for others, so it's best to get a proper diagnosis.
I lost a lot of hair before discovering I had scalp psoriasis, and I only found out about that because I sought out a diagnosis for a skin issue around my eye (which was also psoriasis).

Have you found anything that’s completely cleared up your scalp psoriasis or even reduced its severity?

tigereye
January 1st, 2024, 09:21 AM
Have you found anything that’s completely cleared up your scalp psoriasis or even reduced its severity?

The psoriasis was kicked off by a very stressful time in my life. Taking a break away from work, plus a change in job played a big role in reducing the severity, along with vitamin D supplements (because I was deficient, and there is a link with vitamin D deficiency and psoriasis), and an initial course of topical steroids to bring it down to a manageable level. After that I moved to a maintenance routine using a coal-tar based medicated shampoo - when it flares up I wash every wash with it (leaving it on my scalp for a good 3-5 minutes), and reduce the time between hair washes. When it is fairly calm, I go back to my usual wash schedule, and rotate my shampoos so I use the coal-tar based one once every 3 washes or so. It tends to get worse in the winter - whether that's because of the vitamin D link, or just because it's a much drier atmosphere, I'm not sure.