PDA

View Full Version : Hair rules when not sure if want to cut?

Dragon
December 27th, 2023, 10:01 AM
When you like your hair length but also crave a change, what rules do you follow to avoid hair regrets? My concern is the amount of years it would take to get my length back if I regret it. As to why I want to cut it, sometimes I crave something easier to care for as I have a fairly active lifestyle. And I miss wearing it down, as it would take forever to detangle if I did. I also worry that it may cause people to think that I’m more high maintenance than I am. But then I also like how long hair looks and how unique very long hair is. I like my hair but then want to cut it for the reason above.

Aerya
December 27th, 2023, 10:14 AM
You might like the «two week rule», where you wait two weeks (or longer) before going through with something. There is a thread about it somewhere.

A lot of people here also advise to do bigger cuts in small increments, such as cutting back a milestone and then waiting a little bit before cutting more. That way, if you get cold feet, you don’t have to wait for years to grow it back out. Often we crave bigger changes when in reality, we just needed a few inches off to feel good about it again. And of course, if you still want to cut more off, you can always do that! I think this method is wise, especially if you are a bit unsure, or know that you are prone to impulsive ideas (like me). It is not as immediately satisfying as a big chop, but it does lessen the risk of regrets :)

Dragon
December 27th, 2023, 10:22 AM
The 2 week rule sounds like a great idea. And only cutting back a milestone and waiting. Will definitely take this advice. Thanks

ETJ CURLS
December 27th, 2023, 09:21 PM
Here is the official two week thread (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=139091). :)

I wonder if colour might help? Maybe a temporary or semi permanent colour would give you enough of a change that you would enjoy your hair a bit more. Another thing is getting long layers cut in, which if you don't have some already, would give your hair more movement and life, and make it less heavy. (Buns and braids might be harder to do though.)

Dragon
December 29th, 2023, 05:11 AM
Thanks, I’ll check the link out. And thanks for the advice :)

Für immer
December 29th, 2023, 06:30 AM
I also think the two week rule is a good thing. :D

Something I consider when deciding whether to cut off length or not is the pros and cons for doing so.
Like, I've been wanting to cut bangs for months, but the downside of that is that I would have to wash the front part more often, I dislike having hair in my eyes/face/mouth and since my hair isn't completely straight it would require me using products to make it stay down (which is more hassle for this sloth than it is worth :p).
So, after nearly a year worth of contemplation, I've decided not to cut bangs.

So other than the two week rule, making á pro/con list might be an idea for you to consider?

Nini
December 29th, 2023, 06:38 AM
Unless you have a very complicated routine, keep in mind short/er hair will probably take more of an effort to maintain and style too.

Dragon
December 31st, 2023, 04:29 AM
I wish this form had a thumbs up button. Thanks for all your advice :)