PDA

View Full Version : Hair Lamination?

fairy_hair
December 26th, 2023, 03:58 PM
Does anyone know much about hair lamination? I have just discovered it and am confused what is the difference between hair lamination (with gelatin and/or oil that you then wash out) and a usual hair mask? Is it just a type of hair mask? And how does it leave hair soft and shiny for a week or two? I like the idea that it can help protect the hair as it acts as a coating... but really, I do a full oil before washing every 5-7 days. If I added gelatin to the mixture, is it suddenly a hair lamination or is there more information I haven't found yet? Thanks to anyone with any idea!

Priska
December 27th, 2023, 11:33 AM
I've seen this and have been planning to do this too but have not tried yet, sorry... (For me usually oil only is best, all else might give me crunchy/sticky spots except maybe aloe vera)

Tell us about the results if you do this! :)

fairy_hair
December 28th, 2023, 01:57 AM
I've seen this and have been planning to do this too but have not tried yet, sorry... (For me usually oil only is best, all else might give me crunchy/sticky spots except maybe aloe vera)

Tell us about the results if you do this! :)

Hm I'm not sure about it on myself with gelatin because I have applied keratin shampoo/conditioner before and it left my hair crunchy and not soft and shiny, as did using an egg to wash my hair, so I think I need a more oily topical routine. But who knows! If anyone else has their results from this method, let us know! :)

Priska
December 28th, 2023, 05:19 AM
Gelatine is actually one of the very good protein treatments. I've been using it mixed in my conditioner, and it really has given me great, long lasting shine! But somehow it makes little knots on my very tips. Right now I'm so tired of any kind of tangles and knots, that I only use oils. (And vinegar water as final rinse and some herb sprays that have proven to work well with my hair type.) But shampoo wash after the laminate treatment MIGHT resolve this knot-problem, especially when the gelatine is blended with oil, and that's why this laminating is still on my to do -list :)

fairy_hair
December 29th, 2023, 06:14 AM
Gelatine is actually one of the very good protein treatments. I've been using it mixed in my conditioner, and it really has given me great, long lasting shine! But somehow it makes little knots on my very tips. Right now I'm so tired of any kind of tangles and knots, that I only use oils. (And vinegar water as final rinse and some herb sprays that have proven to work well with my hair type.) But shampoo wash after the laminate treatment MIGHT resolve this knot-problem, especially when the gelatine is blended with oil, and that's why this laminating is still on my to do -list :)

So are you supposed to add gelatine to water and oil, or just gelatine and oil? Also, is the gelatine actually good for hair health or does it just look shiny? :)

I'm thinking of trying it before shampoo and conditioner. Usually I just do oil, let it sit, then wash with shampoo and conditioner. Considering adding in a step while oiling, or with the oil... somehow!

Priska
December 29th, 2023, 06:23 AM
I've only been using gelatine leaves. They must first soak 5 minutes in cold water, and after that i take them out of water and usually blend them with my hair mask and heat it all together in microwave, and after heating they blend beautifully. I don't know if I "should" first blend it with only hot water, but this works good and the treatment doesn't get too liquid :) I guess I would make this lamination same way.
And yes with so much oil i would shampoo and condition it after this lamination (but not very hard).

neko_kawaii
December 29th, 2023, 08:12 AM
I’ve never heard of lamination before, but gelatin in conditioner is an excellent protein treatment. Keep in mind that gelatin is a very strong protein treatment and too frequent protein can cause some hair types to become brittle.

Has anyone come across an actual recipe for the lamination?