PDA

View Full Version : Tessa Peay Long Hair Routine!

fairy_hair
December 22nd, 2023, 06:31 PM
I have very recently come across a YouTube/TikTok/Instagram model who has an extensive hair care routine and has been sharing how she improved her hair.

I wonder what LHC members think of her routine? Do you think it will work long term? Her hair sure does look beautiful. I don't know how she can stand to sleep with a braid though, I wake up with mine either half out, under me and crinkled or worse, under DH and leaving me unable to move. ;) I always go back to scrunchie or claw clip bun.

BVU
December 22nd, 2023, 06:42 PM
I don't mind it. It's what works for her hair, but it may or may not work for you. At times she's clearly catering to sponsors and partners, so it important to not take everything she says as truth. I personally can't put my hair in a scruchie or bun when I'm sleeping, so much like her, it's braided. You can try a tieable silk/satin bonnet if you want it braided, a lot of people have luck with them.

fairy_hair
December 22nd, 2023, 07:10 PM
I don't mind it. It's what works for her hair, but it may or may not work for you. At times she's clearly catering to sponsors and partners, so it important to not take everything she says as truth. I personally can't put my hair in a scruchie or bun when I'm sleeping, so much like her, it's braided. You can try a tieable silk/satin bonnet if you want it braided, a lot of people have luck with them.

Ah yeah, I have my own routine thats working well for me, I'm just wondering what LHC members think of her content. I actually didn't see any of this super long hair for the younger generation online until after I cut my hair! So first time around I was just on LHC, and the hair forks and sticks culture didn't vibe with me so much, although o learned a lot. But this new tiktok super long hair trend has a lot of cute protective styles and ways I never considered, more suitable for my style!

Nefcerka
December 23rd, 2023, 06:09 AM
May I give my honest opinion? Yes, her hair is very beautiful but I donīt take it at face value. Her content reminds me of models who claim *they woke up like dis* while in reality they have a ton of make-up on.
Her thickness is genetic. I used to believe I could achieve such thickness if only I bought *those* products and did *that* hair routine steps. Guess what? It does not work if you have a i/ii genetic thickness like me. So Iīm not falling for those influencer lies any more. (It really baffles me why most hair influencers recommend scalp oiling, when for many many folks itīs the worst advice ever.)
Yes, she makes the most of her genetic potential with probably great nutrition and great hair practices and uses good products to protect and nourish her length. BUT I donīt think she *wakes up with hair like that*. It seems to me (I may be wrong) that for each post, video/picture, her hair must be flat-ironed or curled, styled, blow-dried, etc. And thatīs universally true of social media: when you look at the picture, you are NOT seeing the whole picture.

Chasemi
December 23rd, 2023, 07:17 AM
I will also give my honest opinion

She cares for her hair very well! She naturally has thick hair, clearly her before pictures are so damaged she lost some of that thickness. But, in the before we has waves. When comments ask about it. She says the weight of her hair makes it straight. That doesn't make sense, because the length would be pulled straighter but the ends would still spring up, nothing is pulling on them. The glossy and thick look actually reminds me most of a Brazillian Straightening Treatment, or some kind of relaxer. Her hair is gorgeous, but she certainly has no credentials to teach people in the comments with curly hair, how to take care of their curls (which people have been asking for).

Now again, this doesn't mean she's bad at caring for her hair. She clearly takes a lot of time and effort on her hair. Ultimately, I do think it is chemically straightened, naturally thick, and only people with hair like hers should be asking her for help. She's not a hair scientist, she just knows her own, personally tried and true methods.

...I really think it's been straightened

fairy_hair
December 24th, 2023, 01:45 AM
May I give my honest opinion? Yes, her hair is very beautiful but I donīt take it at face value. Her content reminds me of models who claim *they woke up like dis* while in reality they have a ton of make-up on.
Her thickness is genetic. I used to believe I could achieve such thickness if only I bought *those* products and did *that* hair routine steps. Guess what? It does not work if you have a i/ii genetic thickness like me. So Iīm not falling for those influencer lies any more. (It really baffles me why most hair influencers recommend scalp oiling, when for many many folks itīs the worst advice ever.)
Yes, she makes the most of her genetic potential with probably great nutrition and great hair practices and uses good products to protect and nourish her length. BUT I donīt think she *wakes up with hair like that*. It seems to me (I may be wrong) that for each post, video/picture, her hair must be flat-ironed or curled, styled, blow-dried, etc. And thatīs universally true of social media: when you look at the picture, you are NOT seeing the whole picture.

Yes, I've noticed the trend in scalp oiling. Do you know why its touted as good or bad? I've heard some say it can stimulate growth and help nourish the scalp, heard others say it leads to dry scalp, infection and hair loss due to blocking the follicles and feeding demodex etc. So confused! I only use oil once a week approx, mostly in my ends, and wash it out within some minutes or hours. Other than that I avoid oils especially directed at my scalp in case!

fairy_hair
December 24th, 2023, 01:52 AM
I will also give my honest opinion

She cares for her hair very well! She naturally has thick hair, clearly her before pictures are so damaged she lost some of that thickness. But, in the before we has waves. When comments ask about it. She says the weight of her hair makes it straight. That doesn't make sense, because the length would be pulled straighter but the ends would still spring up, nothing is pulling on them. The glossy and thick look actually reminds me most of a Brazillian Straightening Treatment, or some kind of relaxer. Her hair is gorgeous, but she certainly has no credentials to teach people in the comments with curly hair, how to take care of their curls (which people have been asking for).

Now again, this doesn't mean she's bad at caring for her hair. She clearly takes a lot of time and effort on her hair. Ultimately, I do think it is chemically straightened, naturally thick, and only people with hair like hers should be asking her for help. She's not a hair scientist, she just knows her own, personally tried and true methods.

...I really think it's been straightened

Oh I didn't notice the waves before, interesting! Though I know some people's hair type changes over time... or maybe it was so damaged before (I know my fine hair is pin straight but if the ends are old and not cared for, and not trimmed, they curl! And also if I get layers they are wavy looking... but when long and healthy and trimmed, no waves at all, like her hair. So not sure about that one! Definitely possible she straightens, but since mine has also been that straight and long before, I think its more likely she uses a filter or editing (or not very crisp video) to smooth out imperfections and create a kind of angelic halo appearance where it all looks smooth and tidy. Now I just don't know to try rosemary water or not, I've been considering it for a while but who knows what is true when it's trending on tiktok!

sarana
December 24th, 2023, 08:57 AM
Her hair is genetically thick and gorgeous, and she clearly takes good care of it. But there's no way it's not straightened with either keratin treatment or flat iron. I don't believe a kardoune alone makes it that smooth.

Pretty girl.

Chasemi
December 24th, 2023, 03:00 PM
Her hair is genetically thick and gorgeous, and she clearly takes good care of it. But there's no way it's not straightened with either keratin treatment or flat iron. I don't believe a kardoune alone makes it that smooth.

Pretty girl.

I agree! Nothing wrong with a chemical treatment, but I do think it's at play!

Chasemi
December 24th, 2023, 03:05 PM
Oh I didn't notice the waves before, interesting! Though I know some people's hair type changes over time... or maybe it was so damaged before (I know my fine hair is pin straight but if the ends are old and not cared for, and not trimmed, they curl! And also if I get layers they are wavy looking... but when long and healthy and trimmed, no waves at all, like her hair. So not sure about that one! Definitely possible she straightens, but since mine has also been that straight and long before, I think its more likely she uses a filter or editing (or not very crisp video) to smooth out imperfections and create a kind of angelic halo appearance where it all looks smooth and tidy. Now I just don't know to try rosemary water or not, I've been considering it for a while but who knows what is true when it's trending on tiktok!

Hmm thats fair as well. However, I'd be quite surprised based on how different the before and after are. Especially with the shine, and the fact that she is a model. Models often do treatments on their hair so it looks /perfect/ for shoots. I found a before picture, but it's kind of blurry

https://i.postimg.cc/s1V65jDt/Screenshot-20231224-170254-Tik-Tok.jpg (https://postimg.cc/s1V65jDt)

Regardless, if she has chemically straightened it or not, she takes good care of it. I love oiling my hair! Give it a try

BVU
December 24th, 2023, 07:58 PM
Yes, I've noticed the trend in scalp oiling. Do you know why its touted as good or bad? I've heard some say it can stimulate growth and help nourish the scalp, heard others say it leads to dry scalp, infection and hair loss due to blocking the follicles and feeding demodex etc. So confused! I only use oil once a week approx, mostly in my ends, and wash it out within some minutes or hours. Other than that I avoid oils especially directed at my scalp in case!

I have noticed it as well. As someone who is SO I wouldnt really recommend it to 95% of people. If oil sits on your scalp too long (5Hours-3 days depending on your thickness and scalp) without being moved with a brush or removed entirely it can easily lead to all the problems you mentioned and thensome (fungal, dandruff, excessive shedding, ect.). Honestly, I believe doing something lighter like a water mix (think catnip/honey recipe) that can be easily washed out alongside an oil mix on the length would be better long term. Also, one thing you'll notice with this 'trend' is that the people promoting it are almost always promoting a specific oil or scalp treatment from a specific brand, and had very thick hair before even starting to use these scalp routines. You can stimulate the scalp by massaging it and norish it through your diet (This is the BEST and most overlooked thing you can do for your scalp), and you don't need a $30 scalp product to do so. While I would love to see everyone be SO or get super fast/thick hair growth though scalp oil treatments, that's not how it works, and it just isn't plausible at all. :(

PS: Sometimes I wonder if rosemary oil is similar to caffine, where it looks like it's making your hair grow super fast for 2 years, but is actually speeding up and stunting your hair growth cycle, leading to mass sheds. I wish they had studied it longer than a couple months. Hope there will be more studies on other oils soon too.

PPS: I agree with everyone else, there's no way her hair texture changes that often, or is that straight. She's either styling it before videos, or doing regular treatments. Which, yeah, if youre making your livelyhood from doing this, it must look perfect so people will buy your products.

fairy_hair
December 25th, 2023, 02:07 AM
I have noticed it as well. As someone who is SO I wouldnt really recommend it to 95% of people. If oil sits on your scalp too long (5Hours-3 days depending on your thickness and scalp) without being moved with a brush or removed entirely it can easily lead to all the problems you mentioned and thensome (fungal, dandruff, excessive shedding, ect.). Honestly, I believe doing something lighter like a water mix (think catnip/honey recipe) that can be easily washed out alongside an oil mix on the length would be better long term. Also, one thing you'll notice with this 'trend' is that the people promoting it are almost always promoting a specific oil or scalp treatment from a specific brand, and had very thick hair before even starting to use these scalp routines. You can stimulate the scalp by massaging it and norish it through your diet (This is the BEST and most overlooked thing you can do for your scalp), and you don't need a $30 scalp product to do so. While I would love to see everyone be SO or get super fast/thick hair growth though scalp oil treatments, that's not how it works, and it just isn't plausible at all. :(

PS: Sometimes I wonder if rosemary oil is similar to caffine, where it looks like it's making your hair grow super fast for 2 years, but is actually speeding up and stunting your hair growth cycle, leading to mass sheds. I wish they had studied it longer than a couple months. Hope there will be more studies on other oils soon too.

PPS: I agree with everyone else, there's no way her hair texture changes that often, or is that straight. She's either styling it before videos, or doing regular treatments. Which, yeah, if youre making your livelyhood from doing this, it must look perfect so people will buy your products.

If she is actually straightening her hair for the videos, then I shall give my own hair more credit because I really never straighten it and it's really very straight. Watching her page enough makes me feel like my hair needs to be better, but if she's faking a bunch for videos then maybe mine is about the same IRL. I always wanna see these people without effects and filters so you can see what their routine may or may not actualy be doing for them! I will stick with my own routine for now, it seems to be doing great things for me. :)

fairy_hair
December 25th, 2023, 02:09 AM
If she is actually straightening her hair for the videos, then I shall give my own hair more credit because I really never straighten it and it's really very straight. Watching her page enough makes me feel like my hair needs to be better, but if she's faking a bunch for videos then maybe mine is about the same IRL. I always wanna see these people without effects and filters so you can see what their routine may or may not actualy be doing for them! I will stick with my own routine for now, it seems to be doing great things for me. :)

Also, about the rosemary oil and caffeine treatments - that's why I haven't tried them yet! If they speed up the growth then maybe the stunt the quality or maximum growth potential? Scary stuff to alter the rate rather than be patient and grow naturally at your hairs own pace.

Nefcerka
December 25th, 2023, 04:24 AM
I hope that Tessa isnīt getting a hiccup from how much we think and speak about her (not sure if you understand this in English, but we have a saying here, that if you have a hiccup, it means someone is thinking/talking about you.)

Re: Chasemi - I think you are right. As many pointed out in the comments on IG, the pictures of her supposedly "damaged" hair flash way too fast for anyone to look closely, but it seems those pictures are of wet hair - she is wearing usually swimwear on those pictures - so it naturally looks lanky. And, it seems she had layers there, so the hair would definitely look less thick due to that. I am not familiar with straightening methods, I had thought flat-iron, but you may be more correct there, it might be some keratin treatment.

Re: BVU - absolutely wonderfully and precisely put about scalp oiling :applause I have not read any studies about scalp oiling and I wonder if there any at all? But apart from what you said, with which I agree 100%, I think scalp oiling can be beneficial only to those with genetically very dry scalp. To most people it will cause more harm than good and at best, those influencers with thick hair wonīt notice a difference (their hair wonīt fall as much as on us with thin hair).

Re: fairy_hair - she definitely is prepping her hair for videos (I wonīt speculate any more as to how) and she uses the same pictures and videos in every other post - they are repeating very often. So itīs not like there is a new footage of her glamorous hair every day (because it probably does not look like that every day.)

RavennaNight
December 25th, 2023, 01:50 PM
I think her hair is very pretty, and does have some good advice, such as S&D’ing split ends off, and scalp massaging. I think it is unrealistic to follow her for all of her advice, her hair is very (either naturally or chemically) straight. I think following advice for one’s own hair type will get one much farther. Her hair is pretty, she is pretty, and she is also very clearly a product influencer, as several have already mentioned above. The scalp oiling, who knows? I mean I for one, only wash once a week, if that, so massaging oil once a week the night before washing (which is what she seems to recommend…) doesn’t seem like much, and don’t know how much that would help. Scalp health is important, so using the right shampoo and resolving scalp problems like dandruff and fungus I would think would matter more. I think in the new era of fast video clips like Instagram and “hairtok” you’re getting more visuals with way less information about routines than you would, say, here. I remember the days of reading 40 to 50 pages of threads here to glean information about routines and methods. A lot has changed.

cadaverinna
December 25th, 2023, 06:29 PM
I'll look it up but extensive routines usually mean the person or their stylist doesn't know how to properly care for the hair. When you do, you don't need a ton of stuff or steps.

Nefcerka
December 26th, 2023, 01:59 AM
Some other influencer I do not know has popped up on my IG feed yesterday, and she too was promoting scalp oiling in the video. She was showing very dense "baby hair" growth - there was so much of it that it looked like she had a thick pixie cut underneath all her long hair. Made me wonder - if one has so much and such thick "new growth", it means there must have been a massive shed prior to that at some point, no? Because the scalp oiling or whatever other product does not make you sprout so many new hair follicles.......

cadaverinna
December 26th, 2023, 02:59 PM
Some other influencer I do not know has popped up on my IG feed yesterday, and she too was promoting scalp oiling in the video. She was showing very dense "baby hair" growth - there was so much of it that it looked like she had a thick pixie cut underneath all her long hair. Made me wonder - if one has so much and such thick "new growth", it means there must have been a massive shed prior to that at some point, no? Because the scalp oiling or whatever other product does not make you sprout so many new hair follicles.......

Yes! Won't change the natural growth cycle either.

Nefcerka
December 27th, 2023, 12:50 AM
Yes! Won't change the natural growth cycle either.

Iīm thinking - I almost believe Iīm right - that all these hairfluencers who promote scalp oiling and show their "baby hairs" and "new growth" every week, are actually sabotaging their growth cycle with all that oiling. I think they donīt realize that oiling is making them shed excessively and unnaturally and those tiny hairs are just hair coming back after their long strands fell out due to oiling.

ETJ CURLS
December 27th, 2023, 09:32 AM
She popped up on my IG feed yesterday (and I thought, HEY that name sounds familiar, then remembered this thread), with a vid in which she was showing herself snipping splits along the length, with text overlaying the video saying "start your healthy hair journey here" or something similar. But upon looking at the actual caption, she'd written something along the lines of she just saw this new technique on tiktok the other day and thought she'd give it a go.

Based on that, it is my opinion that she likely has a simpler hair routine, and is just trying stuff on camera for views.

I think for styling inspo, hair-fluencers are great, but one has to be a bit more careful when considering trying a method they are promoting. A lot of them are paid to push products and tools that may or may not be beneficial.

angel-baby
December 27th, 2023, 07:45 PM
I think she's very pretty, and has gorgeous hair. Like most haircare, her advice (oil your scalp, stretch washes 7+ days, don't trim more than a couple times of year) is YMMV. Stretching washes, air drying all the time, and almost never trimming does not work for me and my hair, but I follow her on tiktok anyway because I love her hair and aesthetic.

Bri-Chan
December 28th, 2023, 12:24 AM
I think she has goregous hair, I dont doubt she takes great care of it but I also think it's genetic and not haircare.

BVU
December 29th, 2023, 08:12 PM
Speaking of influencers

i have realized how easy it would be for someone with good hair genetics (like me) to build a following based on the promise that the products I use will 100% make your hair grow. Even if I don't do any of it, people would fall for it because I have such nice hair! I have the most basic and bareboned (sometimes abusive) routine, but because my hair is thick people won't believe me when I say I don't use oils or use some special product. Imagine how easily I could fool people into buying said oils and special products. That's exactly what 80% of these influencers are doing. People who start off with good hair genes stopped deliberately damaging it with heat and dye suddenly got "amazing hair you can get by just by massaging this oil into your scalp!". We here at LHC know this isn't the whole truth, but a lot of these people's following don't even know we exist. So they fall into this 'OSFA' mentality because they see popular influencers repeating the same 5 methods and brands on repeat. This can be quite predatory, especially when they don't put '#ad' or '#partnered' in their tags, which theyre supposed to do. :rolleyes:

Aerya
December 30th, 2023, 01:06 AM
Speaking of influencers

i have realized how easy it would be for someone with good hair genetics (like me) to build a following based on the promise that the products I use will 100% make your hair grow. Even if I don't do any of it, people would fall for it because I have such nice hair! I have the most basic and bareboned (sometimes abusive) routine, but because my hair is thick people won't believe me when I say I don't use oils or use some special product. Imagine how easily I could fool people into buying said oils and special products. That's exactly what 80% of these influencers are doing. People who start off with good hair genes stopped deliberately damaging it with heat and dye suddenly got "amazing hair you can get by just by massaging this oil into your scalp!". We here at LHC know this isn't the whole truth, but a lot of these people's following don't even know we exist. So they fall into this 'OSFA' mentality because they see popular influencers repeating the same 5 methods and brands on repeat. This can be quite predatory, especially when they don't put '#ad' or '#partnered' in their tags, which theyre supposed to do. :rolleyes:

Very well said. I often get hair influencers recommended on insta and it irks me to no end how many claim their thick hair is due to various products, when the Ŧbeforeŧ pictures are clearly bleach/dye damaged… which I’d wager is the main reason for the big difference between that and the current photo, rather than whatever oil they are pushing. And how many of them claim genetics are not something that matters, it’s all products and routine - when in reality long hair is mainly good genetics and not messing your hair up to begin with.

Bri-Chan
December 30th, 2023, 06:20 AM
Speaking of influencers

Totally agree!

eyecandy
February 29th, 2024, 06:51 AM
Hey sorry to post again after months but this topic is something that I personally want to address since I follow this girl on social media...
First of all I've been experimenting with her method lately and this also means that I read some comments people posted on her pages and I agree with you guys, she is kind of a "scam"... In her Youtube short about her using a hydrogen peroxide spray to get those blonde highlights, she shows she used to have brown hair and this is kind of weird because how can she mantain that blondish color in winter if she uses a Sun bum lightener spray or Sun in during summer? And based on her hair color it should be brassy, it looks too good to be hydrogen peroxide! She even had the audacity to say it's because she uses lemon juice well if she really has that brown hair color that's simply impossible! In the YT short a girl replied it's impossible her highlights are not professionally done cause she worked as a hair model and she just knew when she saw a balayage, me personally I agree with this girl because my sister owns a hair salon and her hair color is clearly a subtle balayage work with bleach, it's very natural and subtle but it's definitely professional otherwise she would go back to brown hair during winter! In fact I think I remember she mentioned her sister studied at cosmetology school or she's a hair stylist (I don't exactly remember but something along those lines), she could have done her hair but I don't understand why pretending you used hydrogen peroxide or lemon, I guess this is the marketing she's using as an influencer, a "natural" homemade haircare method, it's her brand but she's hiding what she's really doing behind the scenes in fact I agree with those of you who said she got some keratin treatment because if her hair is naturally wavy how come her hair becomes straight after air drying? This is something that happens when you get a keratin treatment, your hair doesn't require heat so you can also let it air dry! Speaking of heat this is another weird thing about her content: she keeps saying she doesn't use heat but she showed a Dyson hair dryer and a Bio ionic hair straightener, both of these are very expensive tools so now my question is why would a person who claims she doesn't use heat own those kinds of tools? Okay those might be her sister's tools but then again, if she doesn't use any heat that means she got a keratin treatment!
And yes she clearly posted some sponsored content here and there, proof that she has to sell and works for companies, first she said she loves Amika and wow a sponsored content from Amika, the same for Matrix, first she says she bought everything with her own money but then later she posts a sponsored content, this is a tactic influencers are using a lot lately, there's another content creator who claimed to love a bonding treatment for a year, later she claimed she was invited by the brand in their lab and I was like "But I thought you bought that product with your own money :rolleyes: silly me I guess!" this is something I noticed they usually pretend they use products they bought on their own then post an ad or say they received an invitation by the company, honestly to me that means you worked for the company the entire time but the company wanted you to insert their products as advice to gain the trust of your followers and then post the ad to make things "legal" but is that really legal? The Amazon storefront to me is another proof of these sly tactics to sell what these companies want them to sell!
I also agree with those of you who said she uses the same clips over and over again and honestly if you are an influencer, you want your content to be high quality and I don't believe you would post crappy content with bad hair, you would probably feel the urge to heat style your hair to post the best content that you possibly can! Obviously she really takes good care of her hair but she's also lying especially about her genetics, the pictures she always shows as her "before" seem to be pictures she got after being on the beach, my hair looks like that too when I come back from the beach, obviously I will use a hair oil to protect it and use a deep conditioning hair mask after a day on the beach but the salt in the water will make your hair look like that! I don't know there is something fishy about these pictures she shows and something fishy about her approach when it comes to "selling a dream" I guess I could say, it's like she's mocking her audience sometimes that's why I see her as an influencer with very good genetic more than a girl who went through a real hair journey...

Sorry for the rant, I just wanted to post this so bad because I hope someone will see and take everything she says with a grain of salt, she's an influencer working for companies and people should be aware of this, especially young and naive followers.

Vintagerapunzel
February 29th, 2024, 09:13 AM
I've watched quite a few of her videos. Beautiful hair that looks almost too perfect. As I have been taking time to research hair care for my hair type ( low porosity and wavy) I have come to the conclusion that 1) my hair will never look as perfect as hers even if I try following her routine perfectly. And that's okay I'm embracing my frizz. 2) I agree with other posters. She has to be doing some kind of protein treatment or some kind of straightening.

spidermom
February 29th, 2024, 02:22 PM
Too perfect. Where are her new baby hair fly-aways? I do all the good stuff and have thousands of little fly-aways all over the place.

Vintagerapunzel
February 29th, 2024, 04:18 PM
Too perfect. Where are her new baby hair fly-aways? I do all the good stuff and have thousands of little fly-aways all over the place.
Agreed. Where are they?? Am I doing something wrong for having flyaways? No, hair grows at different rates and is in different growth phases.

spidermom
March 1st, 2024, 08:29 PM
Agreed. Where are they?? Am I doing something wrong for having flyaways? No, hair grows at different rates and is in different growth phases.

Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

eyecandy
April 2nd, 2024, 06:06 AM
By the way, a few weeks ago I was scrolling her page cause like I said I follow her, so I stumbled across something weird and I just wanted to add this reel in particular https://www.instagram.com/reel/CwbF4HKqIFs/?igsh=YWFjcjd5eXNvZ295

In the comment section a videographer said by the way she edited the video in slow motion, you can see the ends are fake and she uses some kind of filter to make it look longer, shinier, fuller I don't really know honestly! But yeah I looked closely and you can see something fake moving at the bottom and a shiny veil overall...
In her recent videos her hair looks way longer and undoubtedly beautiful but, to be honest, ever since I saw this reel in slow motion I'm starting to question this girl even more and I take everything she says with a grain of salt, I get it everybody uses filters and apps, like those to change the features of celebrities to add makeup and just an overall fake appearance but that's a different story, with those you can clearly see you're looking at fake pictures, but when it's something like this it comes across as false advertisement, just sly and dishonest, you don't see it unless you look closer with slow motion so you end up being tricked. I'm not saying her hair is fake but what's the point of adding fake hair at the bottom using a filter? I can't trust advice coming from someone who adds fake hair or special effects, I get it she's an influencer, it serves the purpose to be noticed by brands and gain money but I find weird you would trick your audience this way, altering a body on Instagram is one thing and it's not correct but it's a body that's it, altering your hair given the fact people trust your advice while you are literally profiting over it, it's a whole another level of not being correct, just my two cents. I hope some of her followers find this thread and at least start to question her honesty about her hair, if she is capable of altering her hair that way I think she's also capable of hiding a keratin treatment or a hair straightener, or if it's her natural hair she lies about the genetic role for sure.

I don't really know what is going on with these new hairtokers in the scene but I miss the days when we had to look for advice from forums like this, everything was genuine and authentic, social media kind of ruined everything in my opinion.

Vintagerapunzel
April 2nd, 2024, 09:30 AM
By the way, a few weeks ago I was scrolling her page cause like I said I follow her, so I stumbled across something weird and I just wanted to add this reel in particular https://www.instagram.com/reel/CwbF4HKqIFs/?igsh=YWFjcjd5eXNvZ295

In the comment section a videographer said by the way she edited the video in slow motion, you can see the ends are fake and she uses some kind of filter to make it look longer, shinier, fuller I don't really know honestly! But yeah I looked closely and you can see something fake moving at the bottom and a shiny veil overall...
In her recent videos her hair looks way longer and undoubtedly beautiful but, to be honest, ever since I saw this reel in slow motion I'm starting to question this girl even more and I take everything she says with a grain of salt, I get it everybody uses filters and apps, like those to change the features of celebrities to add makeup and just an overall fake appearance but that's a different story, with those you can clearly see you're looking at fake pictures, but when it's something like this it comes across as false advertisement, just sly and dishonest, you don't see it unless you look closer with slow motion so you end up being tricked. I'm not saying her hair is fake but what's the point of adding fake hair at the bottom using a filter? I can't trust advice coming from someone who adds fake hair or special effects, I get it she's an influencer, it serves the purpose to be noticed by brands and gain money but I find weird you would trick your audience this way, altering a body on Instagram is one thing and it's not correct but it's a body that's it, altering your hair given the fact people trust your advice while you are literally profiting over it, it's a whole another level of not being correct, just my two cents. I hope some of her followers find this thread and at least start to question her honesty about her hair, if she is capable of altering her hair that way I think she's also capable of hiding a keratin treatment or a hair straightener, or if it's her natural hair she lies about the genetic role for sure.

I don't really know what is going on with these new hairtokers in the scene but I miss the days when we had to look for advice from forums like this, everything was genuine and authentic, social media kind of ruined everything in my opinion.

I just re watched the video you linked and it does look like some edited trickery. Everything else you said is so true. I want authentic hair accounts that show their flaws or at least how they hide them. I'm trying to get more hair advice from this forum than from Instagram.

sarana
April 3rd, 2024, 07:36 AM
There is definitely some kind of filter going on there

mochichichi
April 3rd, 2024, 05:57 PM
Most of what she's saying seems pretty standard, especially for someone with mostly straight and thick hair. Her routine doesn't seem that different from my own, and I'm sure it works for her and has helped her grow her length. I have some doubts about the color being natural, the difference is just very stark in the highlights. Not impossible but surprising. The texture could be natural--the before pictures look wet and my hair is wavy when wet and dries extremely straight except for a bit of flippyness at the ends like she has.

Regardless, I don't love her account. She seems to reuse a lot of the same clips which makes things feel less genuine to me, and some of the way things are phrased are a bit "true way" and condescending, in my opinion. Hair care is personal and has a lot of person to person variation and I think it's good to recognize that.

floridaorchid
April 5th, 2024, 06:48 PM
I saw somewhere where she claims her highlights are from doing lemon juice on strands. They look too segmented to me. Even when my hair was super light and responded well to lemon juice, it doesn't lighten that many shades.

maborosi
April 8th, 2024, 09:59 PM
No doubt she must have some lovely hair but those videos are filtered and edited pretty heavily, at best- not trying to be mean here. There's a lot of incentive to be dishonest on social media, especially when $$ enters the equation, so I generally ignore hair influencer types. (And influencer types in general) I stick to here for good hair advice and it's served me well. Too bad this stuff influences younger kids and people who don't always know better. :(

LittleQuill
April 8th, 2024, 10:33 PM
. Too bad this stuff influences younger kids and people who don't always know better. :( Yeah, like those Drunk Elephant Sephora kids. They don't have an abundant presence here in Aus (there's only two stores in my state), and I've never been to one, so I don't know if our Sephoras are dealing with a similar problem, but I've seen videos and news articles about what it's like over in America, and I was shocked, grossed out, and amazed. A lot of people are blaming easy-access sites like TikTok for the problem (and of course parenting. Or a lack of it.) because kids these days have unfettered access to such sites and are seeing influencers promoting brands (mostly because they're sponsored) in their 'GRWM videos' and supporting over-consumption.

There's a disturbing trend going on. People are watching these ladies, who are, in reality, filtered almost beyond recognition saying, "If you don't use X product, then you won't get to be pretty and have what I have!" and believing them. Tessa Peay isn't an exception. Only, from what I've seen of her YouTube Shorts (I don't watch shorts, and I've seen less than a handful of her videos. Something about them turned me off watching her), she promotes the use of oils and up there hair care products. It's like, no. You're filtered up the wazoo. Come back when you have something real to show us. :rolleyes:

Sorry, came out a little rant-y. Guess it irks me. :shrug:

spidermom
April 9th, 2024, 11:18 AM
I blocked seeing Tessa's feed. The lack of little fly-aways from newer, shorter hairs irked me to the max. Nobody's hair is exactly all the same length and evenly smooth like that.

maborosi
April 10th, 2024, 09:49 PM
Yeah, like those Drunk Elephant Sephora kids. They don't have an abundant presence here in Aus (there's only two stores in my state), and I've never been to one, so I don't know if our Sephoras are dealing with a similar problem, but I've seen videos and news articles about what it's like over in America, and I was shocked, grossed out, and amazed. A lot of people are blaming easy-access sites like TikTok for the problem (and of course parenting. Or a lack of it.) because kids these days have unfettered access to such sites and are seeing influencers promoting brands (mostly because they're sponsored) in their 'GRWM videos' and supporting over-consumption.

There's a disturbing trend going on. People are watching these ladies, who are, in reality, filtered almost beyond recognition saying, "If you don't use X product, then you won't get to be pretty and have what I have!" and believing them. Tessa Peay isn't an exception. Only, from what I've seen of her YouTube Shorts (I don't watch shorts, and I've seen less than a handful of her videos. Something about them turned me off watching her), she promotes the use of oils and up there hair care products. It's like, no. You're filtered up the wazoo. Come back when you have something real to show us. :rolleyes:

Sorry, came out a little rant-y. Guess it irks me. :shrug:

Oh no doubt, you are right for sure. It's kind of nuts because it's like constant commercials, but there's no real warning that you're watching advertisements (if that makes sense). Influencers sell the illusion that they're not bought and paid for, which is just so dishonest.

I used to be active in skincare reddit communities back in the day- when they were first taking off. It was nuts how quickly they just became overrun with paid-for posts. There's still good tidbits there, but the incentive to promote is so great now that it's hard to sift out genuine reviews from fake stuff =/

LittleQuill
April 10th, 2024, 10:46 PM
Oh no doubt, you are right for sure. It's kind of nuts because it's like constant commercials, but there's no real warning that you're watching advertisements (if that makes sense). Influencers sell the illusion that they're not bought and paid for, which is just so dishonest.

I used to be active in skincare reddit communities back in the day- when they were first taking off. It was nuts how quickly they just became overrun with paid-for posts. There's still good tidbits there, but the incentive to promote is so great now that it's hard to sift out genuine reviews from fake stuff =/

I hear that. I didn't know it was happening on Reddit too. So, it's more than just video-content now? That's awful. It's also spreading into other things, beyond that of beauty products. Nowadays, there's always a sponsored something out there. I've seen a wide range of it, from the usual beauty related things through VPN services, mattresses, food, vitamins and powder supplements all the way to mental health. (Looking at you and your lawsuits, Better Help. :/ Also, that Established Titles thingy that ended up being apparently scammy.) There's also the Influencers who are adding to the problem with launching their own goods which are even bleeding out of the cyber world and onto our shelves. Like, what do we, as bog-standard people, do? As you said, we can't even rely on honest reviews these days. No one wants to spend their hard-earned money on gimmicks and cash-grabs. :rolleyes: No, thanks.