PDA

View Full Version : How do you know that you have rinsed oil/conditioner off enough?

Priska
December 10th, 2023, 07:04 AM
An eternal dilemma to me. So easily I either rinse too much or too little. And have flat/greasy or dry hair afterwards. Can you somehow feel from wet hair when it's a good moment to stop rinsing?
Of course I can fix the result with a moisturizing leave-in or dry shampoo/corn starch but I'd like to learn the right amount of rinsing anyway... Today sunflower oil left my hair totally greasy. I thought it's easy to rinse... (And after an overnight treatment this rinsing dilemma is very frustrating... )

ArtOfNoot
December 10th, 2023, 10:41 AM
This is a huge problem I have. I can never tell if my hair has a film on it till it is dry :justy: I've started using Shea Moisture Strengthen and Restore leave-in conditioner to bypass that issue. Another tip is to use conditioner to rinse out oils. Like attracts like.

Wyldfae's Mane
December 10th, 2023, 11:49 AM
Priska, this might be an overly complicated solution, but if you have a smartphone perhaps you could experiment with timing your rinses? You could use the stopwatch feature to see how long you rinse one day, and record that time and the results.
If your hair ends up greasy, then the next time you use that product you can use the timer feature to set a rinse-timer that is a little longer than the time you recorded previously. If your hair ends up dry, then you can do the opposite. From then on, it would (theoretically) be a matter of tweaking your timer until you find an amount of time that gets you the desired results.

Granted, it would be a bit of a hassle to get out of the shower and dry your hands off in order to start and stop the stopwatch/timer, but if this timer solution worked out, then you could probably find an affordable, waterproof one that could stay in the shower.

I would think this method would work if you consistently use the same amount of a product in your hair each time, and on a regular schedule. It probably wouldn't work so well if your routine isn't super consistent from week to week, since there would be a lot of variables determining how much product there is that needs rinsing out.

cadaverinna
December 10th, 2023, 06:34 PM
Rinse until it feels soft and detangled but isn't slippery anymore.

As it dries, if you think you over-rinsed, wet it again and apply some leave-in. If you feel it's weighed down, just rinse again. You'll get the feel for it, eventually.

Chasemi
December 10th, 2023, 09:12 PM
I condition, wash, condition. That always gets all of it out for me and leaves it nicely moisturized!

ETJ CURLS
December 10th, 2023, 09:50 PM
Rinse until it feels soft and detangled but isn't slippery anymore.

As it dries, if you think you over-rinsed, wet it again and apply some leave-in. If you feel it's weighed down, just rinse again. You'll get the feel for it, eventually.

That's basically what I do. A little RO conditioner is meant to stay in your hair anyway, so accidentally leaving some shouldn't hurt it in theory. But the leave-in definitely helps if the hair starts to feel "wrong".

Blotting well with a nice soft towel can also help.