PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite stylers, if you style your hair.

lapushka
December 4th, 2023, 07:12 AM
If you style your hair, what do you use? Brand and line would be much, much appreciated, if you could mention it in your post. Also maybe mention (maybe roughly if you don't wish to be precise) what part of the world you are in, because yes, there is a variation in what's offered to people depending on where you live. (Why?)

Since cutting back from Classic to APL/BSL (I "yoyo" between those lengths) I have switched out my creams that I used (curly stylers, will mention them, bare with) to mousses and a bit of gel... it's been so amazing for me. I didn't even realize they did weigh down my hair to the point of pulling texture out.

Creams? Used to use Cantu's leave-in, the "famous" one, or Shea Moisture's curl enhancing smoothie, or Eden Bodyworks curl cream, or Every Strand's curl cream, or Shea Moisture's JBCO leave-in; all a little "too much" still even though I didn't use a lot. Key is, when you don't have that much texture, to nix any and all things that potentially could weigh it down. And mousse gives volume.

How I switched? Well, my mom and me were going through stuff, rearranging things in the bathroom when I stumbled across an "old" L'Oréal Studio Line (oh that line is long discontinued) curl mousse. And so I tried it. And I was *hooked*! My hair came out *so nice* that I almost couldn't believe it. And it's only gotten better since.

Last night I used CIEN (Lidl's) curl mousse, which cost me the least of all the mousses I have (€1.99 a can) and which still gives the most consistent, the best results... ever! Don't sleep on these when you find them! Put a little gel over it, scrunched with my plush microfiber "teddy" towel (special towel), and... I was so happy with the results.

Anyway, before I blab on, which I am apt to do, what stylers are your favorite, and make "your list"?
Can be curling products, smoothing products, volume products, leave-ins, curl creams, heat stylers, you name it, if it styles your hair, it can go here!

paulownia
December 4th, 2023, 07:40 AM
Wella Shockwaves Volume mousse;) L'Oréal Paris Studio Line Mineral Control gel.
No curl creams for me. I never even wanted to try any Cantu, I am sure that they would weigh my har down.

Simone_Fatale
December 4th, 2023, 11:31 AM
I'm in Europe, Serbia. I use Novex Bouncy Curls hair cream, even though my hair is mostly straight it's very dry and this provides the perfect amount of moisture.

https://www.curlsshop.nl/image/cache/catalog/Novex/Screenshot%202022-05-19%20at%2016.41.15-500x500h.png

rosenester
December 4th, 2023, 11:54 AM
I am in the US, and have been trying to find a mousse I like. Most of them make my hair feel dry and brittle. The shea moisture coconut and hibiscus mousse leaves my hair shiny and soft and smells amazing, and it isn’t a tangled mess after scrunching. I pair it with shea moisture curl cream (i use the kid’s version as the smoothie version is always a bit heavy for me even when using just a little). Experimenting lately, I also enjoy styling with not your mothers curl cream. It gives me pretty good definition and is not too heavy. I have a bottle of not your mothers gel I am excited to use with the cream the next time I style my hair wavy to wear down, but it is still unopened waiting for the day :laugh:

lapushka
December 4th, 2023, 04:51 PM
That Novex bottle is new to me, we don't have that one here in Belgium! :) There's the leave-in from the black/turquoise line, but I didn't go for that since I'm so deep into mousses these days.

rosenester, I have found my hair can go a tad dry on the lengths; it typically stiffens up with the mousse/gel combo anyway, but I don't mind that at all. My hair is way too heavy and I'm glad for any lift I can get.

spirals
December 7th, 2023, 11:59 PM
Suave Lush and Coily curl cream (may be discontinued now but they have a new version that's slightly different.)
Tresemme Flawless Curls mousse

These have been my go-tos for months. However, I did get a conditioner at Dollar Tree that's the best I've ever used and I noticed the ingredients are similar to those in my curl cream so when the cream is gone, I'm going to leave a little of the conditioner in. And tonight I went to DT and noticed that same brand has a leave-in conditioner.....with EXACTLY the same ingredients as the wash-out conditioner. Funny, that. I will just start using that and the Tresemme mousse. That stuff has good oils in it but it's lightweight, though strong hold.

lapushka
December 8th, 2023, 02:14 AM
spirals, ain't it grand when you find stuff that works the very same, if not better and is a steal of a deal? I love that, I honestly do. I'm glad you found what works!

Bri-Chan
December 9th, 2023, 01:53 PM
When my hair was shorter, I loved Pantene mousse for curls ("perfect curls" should be the name). Also my 2c sister swears by this product.

spirals
December 9th, 2023, 11:25 PM
spirals, ain't it grand when you find stuff that works the very same, if not better and is a steal of a deal? I love that, I honestly do. I'm glad you found what works!

It makes life easier.

DeeDoesStuff
December 11th, 2023, 07:01 PM
For the last few years, I have been using the frizz control volumizing foam from DevaCurl. I was able to get fairly consistent ringlets when I used it. I have just started to move away from it since I am wearing my hair up more now.

angel-baby
December 11th, 2023, 11:07 PM
I'm in the USA, California. Currently using Innersense I Create Lift mousse and I Create Hold gel, and The Innate Life rose elixir to scrunch out the crunch. I LOVE them. The gel gives me a great cast, and I get consistently good definition with this combo -some of my waves have even become spirals ♡