PDA

View Full Version : Hairstyle Help: TB Baby Fine seeks some BULK in style!

Jemoiselle
November 18th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Hi Everyone,

I need help. I have spent years growing my hair out, babying it, CWC, CO etc and now I've got TB length hair ready for some action. The problem is it is so baby fine that my bun looks tiny, like my hair is barely to my shoulders. I hate how it looks! I want a style that fakes some volume without doing anything that would damage my hair. I have tried using a hair donut with unpredictable success. Does anyone out there have a secure style that will make my hair look as long as it is UP as it is down? Urgh! How I envy those of you that can put your hair into a regular cinnamon bun and end up with a huge bun that makes heads turn. To support my story, I come bearing a tale!

I recently went into a Regis salon inquiring about how much highlights would damage very long hair (no I didn't do it! Just asking! I couldn't help myself) and the girls, having no clients, all gathered around me and proceeded to tell me that people with long hair have extremely damaged hair to begin with, so they wouldn't recommend it! They went on to say long hairs, since we don't cut like short hairs do regularly (ha) could never have hair as healthy as a short hair because of the lack of regular maintenance. It was by then that one of the girls caught my growing look of slight irritation, and she said "Uh oh. Don't tell me, when you take that stick out of your hair it is going to fall to your butt!" lol. I took it out. They ate their words! LOL LOL LOL :cheese:

Anyways, case in point, I want to LOOK like I have hair as long as I do. Will anyone out there help? I have surfed the style boards until I had finger cramps and insomnia hehe. I'd rather cut to the chase. Any help would be TREASURED!

Always,
Jessie aka Jemoiselle

MandaMom2Three
November 18th, 2008, 01:05 PM
I'm in the same fix, I hate my tiny buns! (I just went and bought socks in a very close colour to my hair and use those to make my sock buns, I love the results. And just think, at the very least you helped to set a few stylists straight! :D

joyfulmom4
November 18th, 2008, 01:44 PM
I think that you can achieve a look of greater volume by choosing styles that are looser and messier, rather than really sleek and tight. My hair thickness is good, but I dislike the shape of the back of my head, which is rather flat, so I use various styling tricks to try to create an illusion of a rounder shape. It's the same basic idea.

Some thoughts:

Try using a little bit of styling product like a gel to help keep hairs from slipping, then twist less tightly and clamp with something secure that won't slip. Pick styles like the Gibson girl look which have some "poof" to them. Or leave some messy ends out and arrange them in a fashionably messy-chic way.

You could try braiding in something to add volume, such as a scarf or some ribbons.

Also, try styles that involve sectioning the hair and putting it up in parts, such as a braided bun made with two or three separate braids or a triple cinnabun. Separate sections, twist up and clip into place separately.

Consider adding a look of volume to your do's by using hair accessories with volume, such as scrunchies or hairtoys with beads or flowers or dangles, etc. Strategically place them where they'll fill in volume.

Try adding a "rat" or other form or filler to build up your updo. The sock bun is one idea. You can also buy forms from beauty supply stores that will help boost your hair volume. Even just taking a puff of netting the color of your hair and building a bun/updo around it would work.

Use accent braids and other details to give your buns a boost. Even if they don't look much bigger, the intricate additions will create interest and divert from a plain little bun to something with more "wow" factor.

Hope those ideas help.

Ohio Sky
November 18th, 2008, 02:10 PM
I'm in the same fix, I hate my tiny buns! <snip>

Now how many of will ever say that? really? :p

My hair is not as thin as yours, but being around people here with hair as thick as their thighs makes mine feel inferior pretty often. Unfortunately, the best wayI have found to make the most of my length and volume is wearing it down, and I know many people don't like to do that.

Sock buns work great for adding volume. Have you tried a sock, or just a store bought thing? I have only tried socks, and it takes a bit of practice, but it is worth it.

Braided buns also work well. You can do them with 2 strands, three strands, whatever you want, and if you do it with 2 or 3 or 4 braids it adds a bit of volume to the bun. One of my favorite cheats is to pull my hair up into a ponytail with a scrunchie and then wrap the braids around it so that they hide it.

heidihug
November 18th, 2008, 02:24 PM
One of my favorite cheats is to pull my hair up into a ponytail with a scrunchie and then wrap the braids around it so that they hide it.
I second that recommendation, it's one cheat I use most often. My hair is not baby fine per se, but it's certainly finer and thinner than most. I have classic length hair and it certainly doesn't look like it when I have it up. Whenever I try to create a sock bun or use a hair donut, my fine straight hair gets wrapped up in knots - so it's usually not worth the trouble! And "messy" buns look horrible with my straight hair - it appears to be stringy and dirty rather than casual and blowsy and pretty. Argh.

Sarahmoon
November 18th, 2008, 04:54 PM
I'd suggest a sock bun or braided buns. The more braids you make, the better faking volume. Example:

Simple rope braid: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=185&pictureid=9031
Braided bun with 3 braids: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=185&pictureid=25155
Bun with 10 little braids: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=185&pictureid=25158

By the way, your bun doesn't look tiny at all to me in your avatar :)

Xi
November 18th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Eh, I have the same problem, and agree it can be annoying at times. :( I don't have much to offer except commiseration, I'm afraid... I suppose that if you really want to show off length without letting your hair down, you could perhaps try a two-braid fake/English crown braid updo? I notice that Heidihug has *very* pretty examples of this in her album.:) And there's no mistaking the length of your braids when they're wrapped all the way around you head.

Edit: I agree with Sarahmoon -- your bun looks substantial to me in your avatar! It could be the usual short-haired-person ignorance of how neatly hair compacts.

Magdalene
November 18th, 2008, 05:50 PM
I agree, your bun doesn't look that tiny to me! I find all the fake hair used in movies makes people unaware of how much hair really goes into an updo...

Elphie
November 18th, 2008, 06:06 PM
The other side of the coin doesn't always have it so easy, either. I'm at BSL and when I try using a sock bun, the remaining length is too thick and still too short to tuck my ends in properly. I'm going to need a few more inches before I can make it look halfway decent.

cindy58
November 18th, 2008, 06:24 PM
You have pretty hair! I wouldn't worry about it. Your hair looks gloriously healthy in your avatar 'do, and the bun really doesn't look small to me.

misstwist
November 18th, 2008, 09:51 PM
You might look at these tutorials on you tube. Ignore the backcombing. :)

http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?p=r&user=gossgirl2&page=1

Jemoiselle
November 18th, 2008, 11:54 PM
You all are so sweet! I am off to bed so I don't have time for a long reply just yet, but you all had some FABULOUS ideas I will try tomorrow. And a side note, hehe, my avatar photo isn't a regular bun it is a lucky shot with my beloved hair stick. I have so much trouble reproducing it! I think it is mentioned on here as being a Gilbratar Bun, pardon the spelling! I managed to make it awesome just for the photo. When I get brave I will take a cinnamon bun shot, and a full length for fun. Thank you all so much for the encouragement---I cannot believe people with such gorgeous hair are complimenting me on mine =) Ok, off to rinse off my CO treatment. I've been soaking in it all day! I feel like a greaseball LOL.

Night Night!
Jessie

manderly
November 19th, 2008, 12:11 AM
My bun makes it look like you've got a lot of hair, and danacc was kind enough to do a variation for those who DO have long hair.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=15007&highlight=manderly

Stevy
November 19th, 2008, 04:43 AM
Your hair looks lovely in your avatar!

Mine is fine and packs down into a small bun as well, and I find that trying wrapped buns rather than buns where you twist the hair gives more volume. I've only had limited success with rats - I think they work better at shorter lengths.