PDA

View Full Version : Hair updo's/styles for moms with littles?

luthiene
November 21st, 2023, 11:07 AM
What do you moms of littles do with your long hair? I once again have long hair and now I am a mom (which is the best, I love my baby!) and I find it hard to take the time to do many of my favorite updos and styles with a toddler demanding to be held or getting into things. :D Do you have any go-to's that you find yourself doing that are quick and look nice?

neko_kawaii
November 21st, 2023, 12:35 PM
Read through the descriptions of the various updos in the Hair Style Thesaurus (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=145554).

Many buns are super fast to do and if you are worried about hair sticks being pokey, most can be held with claw clips or pins. Some hair forks have blunt tips. If you don't know about spin pins I recommend looking them up. DPN pins are another child safe option.

A center held braided bun can be secured with a large barrette. Not the 20 seconds fast of my favorites Spidermom's and Lazy Wrap, but secure and without poking or choking hazards.

spidermom
November 22nd, 2023, 07:56 AM
I cut my hair short when I had littles.

WednesdayAddams
November 22nd, 2023, 10:41 AM
It was always a bun. Usually a simple cinnamon bun. And I never wore earrings. :tmi:

cookies
November 22nd, 2023, 11:47 AM
It was always a bun. Usually a simple cinnamon bun. And I never wore earrings. :tmi:
My cousin pulled my aunt’s earring when he was a baby and did slice her earlobe in half so good call :D

WednesdayAddams
November 22nd, 2023, 01:05 PM
My cousin pulled my aunt’s earring when he was a baby and did slice her earlobe in half so good call :D

Ohhhhhh lord!

AmaryllisRed
November 22nd, 2023, 02:12 PM
Usually a nautilus or LWB. Just have to be careful with sticks if you carry your little one on your back. I also used to wear a wide headband so my kids couldn't pull my nape hairs.

embee
November 22nd, 2023, 04:03 PM
I cut short for my second baby, and that was a mistake. She was still able to pull my hair and cause me pain. My low pony would have been better and I'd have felt better about myself too.

For sure dangle earrings will not work with tiny grabby babies, but I didn't have trouble with studs.

luthiene
November 24th, 2023, 10:13 AM
Thank you! I will do that. And I think that may be part of my problem, hair sticks/forks are my go to and I have not mastered spin pins or other ways to hold it up well without also using elastic which I don't like for every-day usage. I really like the idea of DPN pins, I had not heard of them before but looked them up and I could see those being helpful for me as well.

luthiene
November 24th, 2023, 10:14 AM
Haha good call on the earrings shudder:

luthiene
November 24th, 2023, 10:18 AM
Usually a nautilus or LWB. Just have to be careful with sticks if you carry your little one on your back. I also used to wear a wide headband so my kids couldn't pull my nape hairs.

Yes, my baby has many times tried to grab my hair fork or nape hairs while being worn on my back - just when I think she knows better too :lol:

luthiene
November 24th, 2023, 10:21 AM

Yikes shudder:

neko_kawaii
November 24th, 2023, 01:03 PM
Thank you! I will do that. And I think that may be part of my problem, hair sticks/forks are my go to and I have not mastered spin pins or other ways to hold it up well without also using elastic which I don't like for every-day usage. I really like the idea of DPN pins, I had not heard of them before but looked them up and I could see those being helpful for me as well.

Most new methods/tools take a little practice to adapt, so don't give up when it doesn't come out perfect on the first try. Frustrating, I know, when also dealing with littles, but you will get there.

lapushka
November 25th, 2023, 01:03 PM
I have hair, ATM, between APL & BSL (arm pit & bra strap), and a peacock twist works best. It's fast to do, just grab, twist, secure with a claw clip. Before this, with the hair that you see in my signature, I wore a nautilus bun, before that a lazy wrap bun; these buns should be easy enough to find info on. If you can't work out how to do these buns, just ask any of us here, but yes, buns (done the right way, so not a pony with an elastic, pulled through a couple times) are amazing and it's all out of the way. A luxury you don't totally have with a peacock twist.

ETJ CURLS
November 25th, 2023, 01:06 PM
My one mom friend with BCL hair tends to default to a single english braid most of the time. Sometimes she braids it on the side instead, or does a messy topknot bun.