PDA

View Full Version : Does my hair look like it needs a cut/trim?

CalystaStarr
November 18th, 2023, 11:08 PM
Do my ends need a cut or is it just the fact that my shorter layers need to catch up with the longer pieces before my hair no longer looks thin again?

And does my hair look damaged?

I’m not sure if I need a cut or not.

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=49452&d=1700356004

Sarahlabyrinth
November 19th, 2023, 02:13 AM
It looks fine to me - and beautiful! But if you wish to trim a little, go for it if it will make you feel better about it.

Nefcerka
November 19th, 2023, 04:55 AM
Difficult to say from a picture if your hair is damaged - because in that picture it looks just lovely. As for trim, that is up to you - what are you after, growing out layers and having a straight blunt hemline, or keeping that U/V shape you seem to be having there? You can always micro-trim. Taking just a tiny bit and see how you feel.

lapushka
November 19th, 2023, 06:50 AM
Looks fine to me. Hairdressers would chop it to a uniform length (if not a layered cut), and why? They will call fairytale ends "dead" ends and trim a lot a lot off. But we don't think that way here. You have to examine your ends to see if they're healthy or not. If split, you can S&D individual hairs. If, say, it's split all over, then yes, then I would agree it's time to trim a bit off. Otherwise, goodness, it looks just fine! :)

lithostoic
November 19th, 2023, 07:57 AM
Yes it's impossible to tell from this distance. If you look closely and see a lot of split ends, I would suggest a small trim, but you don't have to. Make sure to protect your hair by using low manipulation hairstyles and keeping it moisturized so it doesn't break easily

illicitlizard
November 19th, 2023, 07:57 AM
I think what you're noticing is just natural fairytale ends, it doesn't look thin to me. I think you can go either way on trimming, if it would make you happy go for it. Your hair based on that photo doesn't look like it needs a trim based on damage alone. But as always it's hard to tell without seeing in person whether the ends are split or not!

Greengable
November 19th, 2023, 12:56 PM
I don't see the photo well either, if there are no split ends it's up to you. I also have fairy ends now until I reach the waist where I will cut the hem.

ETJ CURLS
November 19th, 2023, 02:51 PM
Do my ends need a cut or is it just the fact that my shorter layers need to catch up with the longer pieces before my hair no longer looks thin again?

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=49452&d=1700356004

If you want to get rid of the thinner ends, then trimming back to waist with a blunt cut will achieve that for you IMO. .But as others have said, if you don't see damage in the forms of splits etc at the ends then you're probably fine. It is also a little hard to see anything clearly from the picture quality - if you're able to take a close up, high-res image and edit that into your post you may be able to elicit more detailed feedback. :)

Deborah
November 19th, 2023, 11:41 PM
I would trim off a few inches to even things up if it were me.

mochichichi
November 22nd, 2023, 11:13 AM
If you want it even, then trim it. If you don't care about it being super even and want to maximize growth, check for damage as others have said and leave it if your ends are okay.

Dark40
November 24th, 2023, 10:42 AM

No, I don'r think your hair needs a trim at all. It's rather lovely! I agree with you on the shorter ends just need to catch up with the longer ends. I'm going through the same problem as well.

angel-baby
November 26th, 2023, 07:45 PM
Your hair is really beautiful! If a blunt hemline is something that really matters to you, you could trim, but I wouldn't say your hair needs it. I think your ends look pretty :)

spidermom
November 27th, 2023, 01:51 PM
In my experience, shorter layers do not catch up to longer layers unless you are trimming the longer layers.

Chasemi
November 27th, 2023, 06:13 PM
I'm going to go against the general consensus here and say I think your hair would benefit from a trim. Your hair is beautiful and shiny, but it looks thinner at about 2 inches from the ends. Personally, I would cut those off, but it's up to you. It's also harder to see how healthy the ends are individually, from such a distance. So things like splits or white dots, I have no clue

luxurioushair
November 30th, 2023, 05:19 AM
Although the picture is a bit blurred, your hair seems shiny and healthy and the ends look fine to me