PDA

View Full Version : Shedding hairs during any interaction

Kelp
October 20th, 2023, 09:48 PM
Is anyone even able to run their hand over their hair without it shedding? Even if I wash, detangle, and brush in the morning (which I would think would remove most shed hairs), I can gently stroke my hair later that day and have sheds come out. And it isn't just one, it's at least five to ten.

I shed when I braid or bun, let down my hair, shift it to the side, you name it. If my hair isn't up in a bun, hairs will fall out period. I don't know how I even have any hair left :lol:

My hair has thinned considerably this past year likely due to stress and hormone changes but I want to figure out if I'm still in a major shedding phase, if it's just more noticeable now that my hair is longer, or if it's normal.

Does anyone else struggle with this or do most people only shed when they're washing or brushing?

Nefcerka
October 21st, 2023, 04:18 AM
I have the exact same thing as you, but my hair has always been on the fine&thin side. I have not noticed any irregular shedding. I will be watching what others have to say, because I´m curious too :eye:

foreveryours
October 21st, 2023, 06:09 AM
Is anyone even able to run their hand over their hair without it shedding? Even if I wash, detangle, and brush in the morning (which I would think would remove most shed hairs), I can gently stroke my hair later that day and have sheds come out. And it isn't just one, it's at least five to ten.

I shed when I braid or bun, let down my hair, shift it to the side, you name it. If my hair isn't up in a bun, hairs will fall out period. I don't know how I even have any hair left :lol:

My hair has thinned considerably this past year likely due to stress and hormone changes but I want to figure out if I'm still in a major shedding phase, if it's just more noticeable now that my hair is longer, or if it's normal.

Does anyone else struggle with this or do most people only shed when they're washing or brushing?

Shedding happens all the time, even when you sleep so obviously some times more than other times. The only way to know what "normal" is for you or where you are in your particular pattern is to get quantitative and track it over a significant period of time. Either count or weigh, pick your poison. Perhaps ignorance really is bliss.

cookies
October 21st, 2023, 07:01 AM
I’ve been wondering about shedding these days too.
I’ve always shed a lot, but never worried about it because I have a lot of hair too. There’s two things I notice now that I can’t tell whether are new or not. On the two sides of my forehead there’s spots with only baby hairs, on the right side it looks bigger. Has it always been like that, am I losing hair for some reason?
The other thing is shower sheds. They do seem a bit bigger too, but I realized the other day that could also just be because my hair is longer, so the shed balls could be made up of the same number of strands, but because of the extra length, they’ve grown in size :shrug:

I don’t see myself counting shed hairs though, as curious as I may be :lol: I do have a micro? scale but I think length would affect the weight too so it wouldn’t be too accurate.

foreveryours
October 21st, 2023, 09:59 AM
You're right, weight is not independent of length so that, over time, you might reasonably expect that weight will increase for the same number of strands and so might be an "inaccurate" measure of shed's degree. Sheds typically last a few months in my experience. The increase in length you experience over this time is not really significant. For example, 50" hair grows 1" in 2 months which introduces an "error" of only 2%. Relative error diminishes at even longer lengths. Weighing once is much easier than counting hundreds of times. :p

missmelaniem
October 21st, 2023, 10:01 AM
I like using 8 Second Wonder Water (lots of brands make this under a variety of names) to help me to shed. I shed a LOT more in the shower with this, however I do not find hair all over the place as much when I use that product. Even when I finger comb or wet comb my hair I dont think it gets the majority of shedding hair.

SandyBottom
October 23rd, 2023, 06:53 PM
I shed quite a bit too. It used to cause real issues with the roller bar of the vacuum cleaner. I have wall to wall carpeting and hair isn't very visible until I vacuum. The clear canister would show a giant hairball flying around inside, lol. Since I wear my hair in buns and/or a satin bonnet most of the time this doesn't seem to happen anymore. I still need to empty my brush of sheds every time I brush though.

Braided Lady
October 24th, 2023, 06:18 AM
I have had sheds with any interaction for a while too, Kelp. I've shed this much for a long time, and I still have decently thick hair. On the other hand I have alopecia areata, so I might actually be getting bald spots when I shed more. But I'm not very observant, and while I sometimes worry about it, I'm never confident as to whether I sometimes lose more than other times, and I don't want to measure.

Jonas
October 24th, 2023, 02:00 PM
I have this too. My hair was pretty short for a long time and I noticed a lot less, so I think part of it is that I notice the shedding more with my long strands. Sometimes I worry about it but other times I don't. lol

mochichichi
October 24th, 2023, 02:05 PM
I think that sheds are just ready to come out, if they come out more easily then maybe they're easier to dislodge, but I don't think it necessarily means there's more shedding. I don't keep my hair down any time other than when I'm brushing and washing so when I do those things I get massive hairballs. I'm sure that if I left it down more the shedding would be more dispersed.