PDA

View Full Version : Same updo every day

Samitra
November 18th, 2008, 07:16 AM
Since joining LHC I've learned that keeping my hair in updos is good for the ends. But my problem is that with my barely shoulderlenght, layered hair, the only updos I can manage is a french twist and a pony tail.

Will wearing the same updo every day cause breakage?

Magicknthenight
November 18th, 2008, 07:24 AM
I sure hope not!(but i have wondered)
I end up wearing the same up-do every day. well actually their are 2 regular ones. I just figured if it ever does seem to have a negative effect i could stop. but i haven't really had a bad effect and it has reduced my split ends. Before you know it you will be able to do loads more hair styles :) I'll be watching this thread thanks for posting i was kind of wondering as well :D

taliarose
November 18th, 2008, 07:25 AM
If the tie for the ponytail is in the same place every time then yes. I'm not sure about the french twist. But I know more informed people will respond shortly! :D

Alana2000
November 18th, 2008, 07:30 AM
The only issue I could see with the same hairstyle everyday would be excess pulling or tugging on the same spots day in day out may cause weakness and breakage. However if you wear the style more loose then that could be just perfect.

I am watchful not to put my hair in too tight of a do. I am at the same stage of growth as you, so I too am limited.

paper
November 18th, 2008, 07:38 AM
I am like you, and have wondered the same thing. I do try to wear it slightly different. Headband, claw or ponytail.

Periwinkle
November 18th, 2008, 08:32 AM
Wearing your hair in any way whatsoever will cause breakage. The only issue with wearing the same style is that it'll cause the same breakage every day. That means that certain parts of your hair will be damaged (for example, if you wore a really abrasive alice band every day, all the hair behind your ears would be broken).

However, you can minimise the breakage. Even when you're wearing the same style, you can change it. For the French twist, twisting in different directions will help, and also securing it with different things to avoid breakage from one certain hairtoy. For the pony, use hair friendly elastics (the ones with no metal) or better yet, scrunchies, and vary the placement (high, back of the head, very low down). Doing them slightly looser will also help.

Samitra
November 18th, 2008, 09:24 AM
Thanks for all the answers! I've never really cared for my hair, so everything about it is new to me!

I guess I'll just try to make small changes to my updos to avoid causing the same breakage every day. And then I'll wait for my hair to grow... In a year, my layers will be brushing my shoulders, and maybe then I'll be able to try out some new updos. :D

LaurelSpring
November 18th, 2008, 10:24 AM
When I first came to LHC I was so inspired to try new dos every day. Now I am experienceing some hair apathy I guess and seem to default to the same couple of standbys all the time. I need to go look at some new ones to get inspired again especially if it is better for my hair to do that.

RocketDog
November 18th, 2008, 10:29 AM
I'm at the same stage - my longest layer brushes my collarbones when it's wet. I try to mix things up as much as possible to limit stress to my hair, but ponytails and peacock twists are my two standbys. I figure it's better to keep my hair contained and safe than let it blow around everywhere and get tangled.

Fillette
November 18th, 2008, 06:59 PM
I think it is ok. As long as you don't put too much pressure on your hair and scalp, you should be okay. I would also pay attention to what you're holding your ponytails with.

AJoifulNoise
November 18th, 2008, 07:32 PM
When I first came to LHC I was so inspired to try new dos every day. Now I am experienceing some hair apathy I guess and seem to default to the same couple of standbys all the time.

That's pretty much where I am. I don't even think about what I'm going to do. I just bun it and go. The most I think about is "what stick?"

kwaniesiam
November 18th, 2008, 07:35 PM
Can you braid? French braids are a great alternative and very versatile, or an English braid if you are long enough.

peachy.pudding
November 19th, 2008, 03:05 PM
Not for me, i always wear my updo quite low in the same place and my hair has grown happily