PDA

View Full Version : What's the most useful thing that you've learned to do for your hair?

SundaesRae
October 5th, 2023, 06:37 AM
I'm trying to figure out what the best things to focus on learning between now and the end of the year, because there really is so much to learn that it has fueled this forum for decades. I understand that everyone's hair is different, but once you are past the very basics, there is so much variety and discussion and minutiae, that even deciding where to start is overwhelming. So, I'd really like to know your answers if you're willing to share.

Is there a type of bun/braid/other that is your absolute go-to?
A step in your care regimen that when you figured it out made the most dramatic difference?
Something that when you stopped doing it, had a surprising impact?
A particular skill or technique that that when you figured it out, really made your longhair life easier?
A tool that you would rather not live without.
Anything else you think applies.

I've just started to dip my toes in, so I apologize if I'm not saying this right. I did do a couple of preliminary searches and what came up didn't really match what I was thinking.

Thanks in advance.

WednesdayAddams
October 5th, 2023, 12:34 PM
Not brushing it while it's wet. That was the way I brushed my hair all my life until I read that it could be contributing to damage. Duh? :p Don't judge, some of us are a little slower!

This one simple act decreased my damage dramatically.

foreveryours
October 5th, 2023, 12:56 PM
The most useful?

Not to assume that just because I've ALWAYS done it one way that that way must be THE BEST way

Braided Lady
October 5th, 2023, 02:44 PM
My most useful skill has been single-stick buns. Actually any kind of stick buns. They are just amazing and time saving and so secure

SundaesRae
October 6th, 2023, 12:28 AM
I think the most useful thing I've learned is to put conditioner on my dry hair before trying to wash it. Since my hair is so thick, I've always struggled with dry patches when I try to wash. It always took forever, even when I had a bob, and the mix of wet and dry strands is snarl city. But the conditioner helps the water penetrate quickly so I'm not running the water forever and because all the hair is wet, I don't have to deal with so many tangles. And the conditioner doesn't get washed out in the process, so I'm all prepped to co-wash.

SundaesRae
October 6th, 2023, 12:31 AM
My most useful skill has been single-stick buns. Actually any kind of stick buns. They are just amazing and time saving and so secure

Any particular favorites, if you know the names for them? Is there an offsite resource that you've found really helpful in learning new styles?

Sarahlabyrinth
October 6th, 2023, 01:19 AM
Protecting my hair. Keeping it bunned during the day in a protective style (mostly a Nautilus bun), and loose in a silk sleep cap when in bed. It does such a lot to minimise damage because it reduces tangling so much.
You can see my hair routine here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSEskWEhWDk

Ylva
October 6th, 2023, 05:15 AM
Besides the many generally helpful things like learning what particular things my hair likes, two things stand out to me.

1. Wearing it bunned up most of the time. I don’t look good in buns or feel like myself in any particular way, they’re just incredibly practical and protective. I’ll still sometimes wear my hair in other ways when I want to look better (as myself), but a basic lazy-wrap bun on top of my head is a great default do.

2. Washing my hair upside down. It allows me to separate my hair wash from my showers and then I don’t get cold applying conditioner and stuff (I don’t like to keep the water running). I minimise skin contact with conditioner as many give me contact dermatitis. In addition, I get great volume from that, and the additional tangles aren’t that drastic.

Braided Lady
October 6th, 2023, 05:50 AM
Any particular favorites, if you know the names for them? Is there an offsite resource that you've found really helpful in learning new styles?
My go-tos are cinnabun( because I could do it before LHC)
and nautilus. And I think the sea shell bun is beautiful, but I only do it with bobby pins, because it isn't very secure otherwise. LHC is an amazing resource for learning all sorts of styles, that's actually why I joined in the first place. Under the handy links at the top of the forum is a link straight to Neko-Kawaii's absolutely wonderful list of hair styles in alphabetical order. I like to hear about new buns in LHC, and then go find out how to do them there

ETJ CURLS
October 6th, 2023, 06:49 AM
Not brushing it while it's wet. That was the way I brushed my hair all my life until I read that it could be contributing to damage. Duh? :p Don't judge, some of us are a little slower!

This one simple act decreased my damage dramatically.

It's funny, because for my very curly, coily hair, it's completely the other way around! (Curly hair has more salt bonds than straight/wavy so even though it's *technically* weaker wet, it's still stronger than looser patterns when wet). Once I learned how to comb my hair wet when I first went natural, it was an absolute gamechanger.

But recently (since last summer) I've been implementing combing from the roots down, and I personally feel this method is better for my ends and therefore length retention. I also only comb/detangle my hair once a week. I don't feel it can handle more than that, even if I rewash/restyle inbetween. I've learned to work with and around the tangles, and I try to pick styles that keep excessive tangling to a minimum.

I'm getting more into buns as of late, and I have to agree!

Something else that TOTALLY changed my haircare game was finally learning how to cornrow (dutch braid) in late 2021. In the past I had to always ask a family member to do them for me (and I still will, on occasion, when I want them super neat) but said family member has always struggled with my hair and it's always a challenging experience to work through it, so once I figured it out on my own I've been able to wear protective styles that last at least a week without causing damage on the install. I also found a nice gel for locs that works great with my hair and I just add that in whenever I'm doing small braids close to the scalp and that keeps them neat without having to use unnecessary tension.

Lastly, less is more. No one needs all that hair product, it'll only make the hair weighed down and not behave as well.

Those are my top tips that I feel have really changed the game for me. :)

Lady Winchester
October 6th, 2023, 04:13 PM
Lastly, less is more. No one needs all that hair product, it'll only make the hair weighed down and not behave as well.

This, since I only use one product at the moment: Head & Shoulders Dry Scalp 2 in 1 shampoo plus conditioner, no oils, no deep conditioning treatments, since it doesn't really need it. If it ever goes gray, I'll also be using Natural Instincts in Medium Golden Brown (which is the closest to my current color), since if the blonde I dyed it in Grade 11 washed me out, so will the gray/white. I spend more on books, fandom memorabilia and new technology than I do on hair products and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

I have the same routine I've always had, haven't altered it since joining LHC. The only things that have changed is my hair color has darkened by a few shades (whether it was from chemo, aging or a combination of both) and that it might be a bit coarser than it used to be (but not by much, since it still has the same texture it's always had). I still wear ponytails, but have switched from covered elastics to a big barrette like I used to (it tends to fall out a lot, so it's more of a very loose ponytail and doesn't pull as much as a covered elastic might).

shelomit
October 6th, 2023, 05:27 PM
i don't think I would be able to live with my hair at this length if I hadn't learned to finger detangle!

Learning some more types of updos, especially ones that can be made very quickly, is also useful from day to day. If I don't feel like braiding my hair right out of the shower, I can throw it up in a quick bun rather than leaving it down and letting it tangle, or spending a lot of time on a "temporary" hairdo.

sarana
October 7th, 2023, 04:48 AM
The most impactful thing has probably been a stick bun.

The other things that make a noticeable difference are a sleeping bonnet and leave-in conditioner

embee
October 7th, 2023, 04:24 PM
The biggest thing for me was learning a stick bun. I had purchased a pair of sticks but could not figure out how to use them. Years later I found LHC and there was my answer. :) My go-to is the Orchid bun. Another one that is good is a top-knot. I don't really do any others. :) Most of the time, the top-knot is really an Orchid bun on the top of my head.

Asrai
October 7th, 2023, 11:16 PM
My hair feels so much more hydrated & soft when I use a satin pillowcase, to the point where it feels like an absolute must for me. Also, wearing a satin bonnet to bed when my curls are styled can keep wash day results looking nice for at least 3-4 days, which makes wearing my curls so much less work.

Paying attention to ingredient lists is another huge help. It's very nice to have my hair's preferences down well enough to be able to to have a pretty accurate guess as to whether products will work from their ingredient lists. Saved me a lot of money & bad hair days.

Celtia
October 8th, 2023, 05:08 AM
I'm still learning and experimenting but so far 2 things really stand out.

1. Stop touching it. I love the sliky texture and I like to stroke it while I watch TV in the evenings. It's so hard, but I've stopped doing this as it actually creates tangles, mechanical damage, and frizz! (For me, my head, YMMV.)

2. Scrunch the ends a bit while drying to bring up some curl at the ends. Without heat tools, I thought I would have horrible ends and have to finger curl for hours while it dries. Turns out I have waves, and they're happy to do their wavy thing if I just put on a touch of curl cream and scrunch a bit. Who would have thought it would be so easy?

GordonMurphella
October 8th, 2023, 05:30 AM
Ignoring it.

cadaverinna
October 9th, 2023, 02:50 PM
Nautilus bun for the day and rope or english braids for sleeping.

A step in your care regimen that when you figured it out made the most dramatic difference?
Pre-poo!!

Can't think of anything.

A particular skill or technique that that when you figured it out, really made your longhair life easier?
The nautilus bun. I feel it nearly ended my breakage + it actually stays up.

Tangle Teezer. Life changer.

Hair oiling, bond fortifiers, and 'cones, 'cones, 'cones!!

MusicalSpoons
October 9th, 2023, 06:09 PM
Oooh yay cadaverina you had the same idea for formatting a reply, thanks for doing the hard work :D

In response to the title: ditching elastics and learning to put my hair up in actually protective buns. That was the major gamechanger.

Nessa bun. Also Lazy Wrap bun, Spock bun, and log roll if I want to switch it up. Neoma Knot bun holds like a rock. Ooh and crochet braid for drying when I've done a scalp wash.

Rinse-out oil, between shampoo and conditioner. Also sleeping with satin pillowcases.

Brushing or combing my hair every day. It's much happier hanging out in its clumps until the texture lets go, several days after a wash.
Almost everything in my full wash routine has an impact if I change or skip them, but that one was a huge mental adjustment. It took me a long time to gradually cut down how often I detangled, although being chronically ill actually helped in a way because it forced my hand to go longer and longer without combing :lol:

Scalp-only washes. Revolutionary, made my scalp and lengths (and me) so much happier!

Probably my waterproof hair fork from 60th Street, it doubles as a perfect comb for the first pass of detangling and I can use it to comb the scalp hair away from my head when it's wet so it doesn't dry completely flat.

Listen to your hair. And if you can find a baseline routine that makes your hair happy, it means you can experiment and make tweaks and know what to fall back on if things don't work.
Protect it, enjoy it, and have fun!