PDA

View Full Version : Help! Residue, build up!

mariazelie
September 18th, 2023, 09:18 AM
I tried to search the forum for past threads, but didn't get any results, something must not be working right. I have discovered that I have terrible build up on my graying, ash blonde, very fine, and long hair. I have been experimenting on a lock in the front where I can see with soda, vinegar, and even dish soap! So far it's not enough help, making me want to douse my whole head. It's like glue! I do not have a clarifying shampoo at this time, and I don't know what to buy. Can anyone offer suggestions or experience?

Ylva
September 18th, 2023, 09:35 AM
Baking soda and vinegar are not clarifying. Dish soap is, but since it apparently didn't work, could it be mineral buildup instead? In that case, you'll need a "swimmer's shampoo" containing a chelator, an EDTA.

Lady Stardust
September 18th, 2023, 09:54 AM
Do you know what caused the build up?

Sarahlabyrinth
September 18th, 2023, 10:16 AM
I had a similar problem once and I had to wash it well numerous times with dish soap to restore mine to normal.

foreveryours
September 18th, 2023, 10:17 AM
If it's "mineral buildup" (you have hard water?) try some PALMOLIVE antibacterial dishsoap (it's ORANGE), it is acidic (pH 3-4) and handles hard water buildup very well. Other dishsoaps (e.g. Dawn etc), are alkaline, very basic (pH 10) don't use them!

mariazelie
September 18th, 2023, 10:24 AM
I switched products this spring, and I was using Aussie Instant Freeze Gel and the hair spray by Aussie Sprunch Hair Spray. I only wash once a week and I was a little slow catching on to this situation! This summer I realized that I couldn't brush my hair very well and slowed down on all product except a bit of hair spray ( Tresemme) which I have used for years. I just didn't realize the coating that is on my hair. (It pays to put on your glasses!) I use alternately Tresemme, Aussie, and Viori shampoo and conditioner. I tried two clarifying shampoos recently which I gave away and can't remember and the result with that was really a sticky mess. I used to use Suave clarifying shampoo but it wasn't available, so I tried the others. I have used the same well water for 30 years, so no change there.

mariazelie
September 18th, 2023, 10:26 AM
I can see the sticky white coating on each hair. It's very gluey. My hair is very fine and light colored and at first it was hard to see the stuff. This is in reply t Ylav which I missed replying to.

mariazelie
September 18th, 2023, 10:28 AM

Recent change to new products, as stated in another post.

mariazelie
September 18th, 2023, 10:29 AM
If it's "mineral buildup" (you have hard water?) try some PALMOLIVE antibacterial dishsoap (it's ORANGE), it is acidic (pH 3-4) and handles hard water buildup very well. Other dishsoaps (e.g. Dawn etc), are alkaline, very basic (pH 10) don't use them!

I will get some of the Palmolive. I only experimented with Dawn. Thank you.

foreveryours
September 18th, 2023, 10:32 AM
I will get some of the Palmolive. I only experimented with Dawn. Thank you.

That "sticky" stuff sounds like soap scum, an ingredient in one of your products reacting to your well water. If you have a Sally's nearby, their ION Hard Water shampoo is good too. But Palmolive is my goto when my hair sometimes gets cob-webby and impossible to detangle sometimes. After washing, it's back to normal "as if it never happened"

Good luck

ETA: sebum and possibly other oils can also react to the minerals in your well water to produce those insoluble deposits you typically scrub off the bathtub. I rinse my hair with distilled/RO water after washing it to keep things mineral free in so far as is possible.

mariazelie
September 18th, 2023, 11:46 AM
That "sticky" stuff sounds like soap scum, an ingredient in one of your products reacting to your well water. If you have a Sally's nearby, their ION Hard Water shampoo is good too. But Palmolive is my goto when my hair sometimes gets cob-webby and impossible to detangle sometimes. After washing, it's back to normal "as if it never happened"

Good luck

ETA: sebum and possibly other oils can also react to the minerals in your well water to produce those insoluble deposits you typically scrub off the bathtub. I rinse my hair with distilled/RO water after washing it to keep things mineral free in so far as is possible.

Thank you! This is where I will start.

mariazelie
September 19th, 2023, 09:44 AM
Thank you foreveryours and everyone else who left comments. I tried the Palmolive and it is working! I need to do it a couple more times, but I am so happy to have the problem solved. Should I stay away from all products or just make sure I clarify and be vigilant about build up? Tell me what you think. I really like to add some extra help to my fine hair. I cannot thank foreveryours enough!

Sarahlabyrinth
September 19th, 2023, 09:48 AM
My hair is fine and in my own case, the less product I use on it, the happier it is.

foreveryours
September 19th, 2023, 02:19 PM
Thank you foreveryours and everyone else who left comments. I tried the Palmolive and it is working! I need to do it a couple more times, but I am so happy to have the problem solved. Should I stay away from all products or just make sure I clarify and be vigilant about build up? Tell me what you think. I really like to add some extra help to my fine hair. I cannot thank foreveryours enough!

I'm glad. It is drying though so too often might be bad. I use it 2X every week (1X in winter) but I oil my hair so it doesn't really seem to matter. If I were you (just saying :)) I'd look at the ingredients of the products you changed to and by comparing to ingredients you used in the past which you know are "ok" try to learn which ingredient is incompatible with your water. Then you learn a more general rule going forward in terms of choosing products ...

mariazelie
September 21st, 2023, 04:44 PM
I'm glad. It is drying though so too often might be bad. I use it 2X every week (1X in winter) but I oil my hair so it doesn't really seem to matter. If I were you (just saying :)) I'd look at the ingredients of the products you changed to and by comparing to ingredients you used in the past which you know are "ok" try to learn which ingredient is incompatible with your water. Then you learn a more general rule going forward in terms of choosing products ...

That's a good idea, and those long weird names of things make it difficult! It it exhausting. I need a notebook! Thanks for the help. A few days ago I was freaking out and now I feel much better.

foreveryours
September 21st, 2023, 08:08 PM
I've been there. Many years before joining LHC, I used Mane 'n Tail shampoo for the first time. My hair was alot shorter then but I was going thru the try-all-sorts-of-things on my hair stage and something must have reacted to the shampoo. My hair became like steel wool. Just try to untangle that. Panic. I actually emailed the StraightArrow company. Rewash with "normal" shampoo (PERT at the time) fixed it :p

Never happened again. Good luck