PDA

View Full Version : How tangly is your fine hair?

rosmarinus
September 14th, 2023, 06:04 AM
So this question is for those with fine hair only!

I have a fine hair and it is always been said to me that fine hair is the most tangle prone especially when it is long. And yes my hair gets tangled very easily, and I'm just wondering if it is because of damage or is it just a characteristic that even healthy fine hair has? Or a cause of wrong products?

Can you keep your hair down at all without it getting tangled very quickly?

Ylva
September 14th, 2023, 06:15 AM
All of those factors you mentioned surely play a role and accumulate.

My fine hair is healthy and slippery, but yes, it tangles, especially at the nape and any time it rubs against something (which I of course try to avoid).

You could try heavy silicones - rinse-out conditioner or serum, for example - and see how your hair reacts to that, to potentially facilitate wearing it down. And clarifying, of course, if it’s possible that your hair might have buildup that could exacerbate tangles.

For any texture apart from straight, brushing usually exacerbates tangles. So if possible, respect the clumps your hair wants to be in. They protect against tangles.

floridaorchid
September 14th, 2023, 08:20 AM
I have accepted it's inevitable. I have a K. Murphy Smoothing Lotion that has helped some, but otherwise, it just naturally tangles. There's not a lot of wind here, so that saves me some.

neko_kawaii
September 14th, 2023, 08:20 AM
Gravity defying. Ties itself in knots simply by existing.

baanoo
September 14th, 2023, 08:46 PM
Gravity defying. Ties itself in knots simply by existing.
^^^ this, precisely

I really can’t wear my hair down without tangles, I just have to decide if the conditions are favorable enough to be worth the detangling later. I really don’t wear my hair totally loose and down for any length of time outside the house, though - very infrequently.

enfys
September 15th, 2023, 03:11 AM
More tangly than you'd ever guess was possible. I can brush my hair, stand up to get a hair stick, sit back down and it has tangles again. Fortunately my hair is very straight so I can brush it again relatively easily. But silicones and updos are essential for me.

lapushka
September 15th, 2023, 04:09 AM
If I would keep it down, dry, it would just go all directions, and I do mean *all directions*; it is so fluffy. No distinguishable frizz (except small areas like next to the hairline) but the weight of it. It's lighter than air, almost. Part of the reason why I just love quick updos. I more than anything need it out of my face! My God and then even the wisps come and bother me. :lol: ;) No, in all seriousness... I leave it wavy and so only detangle (except with fingers, here and there, at night) once a week, right before a wash. I leave most sheds just in there, no shame in my game. And I know why. The less I mess with it, also, the better. But you know, we all learn to live with what we got, I'm sure of it!

sarana
September 16th, 2023, 02:29 AM
More tangly than you'd ever guess was possible. I can brush my hair, stand up to get a hair stick, sit back down and it has tangles again. Fortunately my hair is very straight so I can brush it again relatively easily. But silicones and updos are essential for me.

This is precisely my experience too. My hair tangles again 2 minutes after brushing. Wearing it loose for even a moment means detangling, but wearing it in a braid also means braid shred and detangling. I can't run my fingers through my hair.

Silicone leave-in helps some. Sleeping bonnet too.

mariazelie
September 16th, 2023, 01:19 PM
Yes, tangles. All my life. Lately they have been worse. Some shampoos make it stick like glue. I'm don't know what is in them. Things seemed to have changed recently. I have more problems the past year with things I have always used. Especially clarifying shampoos. It was comforting to read posts that were shared here because I am the only one I know that has the issues we have with instant tangles. My mom hated my hair when I was little. She would have it cut in a pixie! Awful! Anyone who has suggestions on particular shampoos, please share. My hair is much longer than the photo.

lithostoic
September 16th, 2023, 03:09 PM
Extremely. Like spiderwebs mixed with fishing line. I have to detangle daily and keep it contained, though it mats at the crown and at the neck even if it's in a braid. Moisture and oils help. I use a leave in conditioner on wash day, sometimes reapply after a day or two, then the last couple days I use a coconut oil leave in.

KokoroDragon
September 16th, 2023, 03:33 PM
Yep, my hair tangles easily no matter what I do to it. I usually split my hair in two to brush it, one section over each shoulder. When I flip my hair back behind my shoulders right after brushing, just that small motion will cause tangles.

Pouncequick
September 16th, 2023, 06:10 PM
Mine gets tangled in protective hairstyles but the ends aren't as healthy as yours sound. If I wear it down then I add some oil and detangling spray to keep the tangles down and I wash and thoroughly soak it in conditioner before trying to section it back out. Mine actually seems to do better with regular detangling as long as it is gentle but ymmv. I stick to finger detangling for most of the week and only use a brush once or twice a week.

SandyBottom
September 16th, 2023, 06:23 PM
My hair tangles easily but also brushes out easily, so it's not a big deal. Things that help me are conditioner, satin bonnet, and not wearing it down in the wind.

cadaverinna
September 16th, 2023, 08:35 PM
Both thin and coarse hair LOVE getting tangled for different reasons. Those blessed w medium thickness should be grateful.

Mine is thin to medium so it doesn't tangle as much, but silicones, oils, and acidic treatments help prevent a fair bit of tangling.

fairy_hair
September 16th, 2023, 10:36 PM
Hm I find that I can get through life with almost zero tangles or split ends in my hair if I wear it in twisted buns day and night - when i brush morning and evening, theres basically noting to brush out! But it gets tangled easily if left down or just plaited, and then getting the tangles out is difficult and seems to cause so much damage. I don't know how the same hair can tangle so easily and so badly down, but pretty much not at all when loosely bunned. My hair is medium thickness overall and individual strands are very fine. I think it's much less tangly worn down when my ends are healthy and trimmed though!

WednesdayAddams
September 17th, 2023, 10:06 PM
Mine isn't tangly at all. It's very "slippery."

Bri-Chan
September 18th, 2023, 01:02 AM
Mine is very, very tangly. No matter what. I agree with Ylva about clumps. My hair looks mostly straight these days, but if I brush it I create a mess.

mariazelie
September 19th, 2023, 09:46 AM
Just for the sake of information, I started the recent thread about residue in my hair. I never knew how it contributed to my awful tangled, gluey hair. Check out the thread if you think it may apply. The thread is "Help! Residue, build up!"

angel-baby
September 20th, 2023, 07:52 PM
Mine tangles as soon as you look at it, but it doesn't tend to tangle too badly. No big knots or anything.

LoungeLady
September 21st, 2023, 06:54 AM
Mine tangles horrendously like others have stated - just looking at it. I have found that if I let it air dry completely then it is far easier to detangle than in any other stage of wet or dampness. My hair was always stick straight but has found some wave (yay aging!) so I thought I should detangle not dry. Nope. Better to wait. Not for style but for damage control. This thread has made me feel like I have found my people. The struggle is real.

foreveryours
September 21st, 2023, 08:21 AM
I have borderline fine-medium hair as measured by laser diffraction. It hates water and is very tangly when wet. I discovered this video several years ago, about the time I joined LHC. Before I tried it, I thought she was nuts letting her hair dry before detangling. It changed my life.

Handling super long hair - pt 4 detangling after drying (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91KymwFlIYk)

While I don't braid my hair to dry as in this video series (which takes forever, to dry not the series), DRY detangling is the only way for me!

Larki
September 21st, 2023, 09:36 AM
Not at all. It never has been. I comb and brush it twice a day and almost never hit a snag of any sort.

Brandt
September 23rd, 2023, 12:52 PM
I have borderline fine-medium hair as measured by laser diffraction. It hates water and is very tangly when wet. I discovered this video several years ago, about the time I joined LHC. Before I tried it, I thought she was nuts letting her hair dry before detangling. It changed my life.

Handling super long hair - pt 4 detangling after drying (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91KymwFlIYk)

While I don't braid my hair to dry as in this video series (which takes forever, to dry not the series), DRY detangling is the only way for me!

Yep--I agree. Definitely I will not comb my hair until it is dry (or at least mostly dry). Wet hair (in addition to being weaker and more likely to break--and nobody wants that!) clumps together and is just a big slop! I'll do some finger detangling while wet (actually helps hair dry faster too), and that can help "prep" my hair for when it's dry and ready for the comb.

Tangles can be either really bad or not too bad (the detangling "prep" can help)--though one thing that really makes my hair be a mess is wind. I'm glad I don't live in a windy climate!

foreveryours
September 23rd, 2023, 03:50 PM
Even the difference for me between damp and completely dry is enormous. Dry is ok, damp makes me wait. As you reach waist and beyond, I'm sure you'll find it will show an increased propensity toward tangles, wind or no wind, unless its highly constrained. That's just thermodynamics. Learn to braid if you don't already know how. Orderly crossings are much better than disorderly ones.

Purple Ink
September 23rd, 2023, 04:11 PM
I see that I was not imagining things! My hair is also very tangly, it literally has time to create more tangles in the time it takes me to brush it, so I would agree that this is normal for fine hair. Buns and braids 24/7 are the only way to go for me, as soon as they are long enough to stay in an elastic. I agree with using oils (just a little though) and dry detangling. I would also say that if you get too many tangles and it takes too long to brush your hair, don't be afraid to use the forbidden paddle brush ha ha. If you go slow/don't pull/follow the standard recommendations basically, the damage is really minimal.

Brandt
September 24th, 2023, 01:34 AM
Even the difference for me between damp and completely dry is enormous. Dry is ok, damp makes me wait. As you reach waist and beyond, I'm sure you'll find it will show an increased propensity toward tangles, wind or no wind, unless its highly constrained. That's just thermodynamics. Learn to braid if you don't already know how. Orderly crossings are much better than disorderly ones.

I think I'm still in that "honeymoon stage" where my hair is definitely long but not quite long enough to have the issues like greater amount of tangling, getting caught in things, etc. I watched a few videos on braiding, though it looks like it will take some practice. But for now, I'm still enjoying having my hair down nearly all the time.

I guess a good perspective too would be the thought that the tips of my hair are approaching 4 years old, and 4 years is a lot of time for wear-and-tear on my hair. Good thing for me to remember regarding caring for my hair.

GordonMurphella
September 25th, 2023, 05:50 AM
Not at all. It's way too slippery, though on very rare occasion I get a fairy knot at an end.

I haven't used anything but finger detangling for a long time now, I think that's helped. Don't own a brush, couldn't tell you where my wide toothed comb is :)

luxurioushair
September 25th, 2023, 02:37 PM

Wow it's Gossamer. I haven't seen her around here in a bit.

My fine hair tangles but I don't think it tangles because it's fine. Probably just because it has the most random and irregular wave pattern. ;)

ArienEllariel
September 28th, 2023, 10:26 AM
Mine will tangle on itself if I get any kind of product buildup from using mousse or such without clarifying regularly. Usually that results in more lint trapped in it which equals tangles. My ends need some tlc after vacationing in an area where I had not great water pressure and different water than I'm used to. I used different products while I was there and my hair didn't care for that. So so happy to be home again where I can better control what I'm using.

jenniferrae
October 2nd, 2023, 08:14 AM
Yes, my individual hairs are very fine, and tangle with most movement, or where they've been against my shirt. The more damaged and more curly areas tangle the most. I find that Desert Essence green apple conditioner creates a really helpful extreme amount of slip for me, which definitely reduces tangles significantly, though it does make my hair look very limp and straighter and lifeless, as nice as the sleekness is, so I use it more on the ends than anything. But if you're fine with just being sleek, that's great. Especially after a fermented rice water treatment. My hair looked like little kid hair after that hahaha.

Pfefferminze
October 3rd, 2023, 09:01 AM
Mine tangles basically all the time, especially at the nape :(

Gwenselenia
October 6th, 2023, 11:43 AM
My fine hair is not very tangly, guess that’s because it’s so straight :hmm: But that does require using good conditioner and leave-in. And bleaching or dying makes it tangly.

bparnell75
October 7th, 2023, 11:48 AM
Mine tangles basically all the time, especially at the nape :(

sic an tired of detangling all the time.