PDA

View Full Version : How to get more life in long hair

TechnoAngel
September 13th, 2023, 01:18 PM
Hello everyone :)

My hair is now at hip length with a straight hemline. It's very healthy but looks a bit dull without any volume. I wonder if long layers would make it look it look nicer but I'm worried it will get even more thinner in the ends. The ends are quiet thin, because I lost about 1/3 of my hair 2 years ago so I'm very cautious. I also think maybe trimming the ends a bit may help. Has any of you ever had very long even hair cut in layers? And did you like the results :)

spidermom
September 13th, 2023, 02:53 PM
Yes I did, but my hair is thick. I liked long layers for about 10 years. Now I like blunt cut because the ends look less ragged.

maborosi
September 13th, 2023, 05:04 PM
Hmm...I'm not sure how thick overall your hair is, or how straight it is, but layers at long lengths can be somewhat frustrating if you aren't sure you really want them. I would say it really depends. Do you do a lot of braided updos? A lot of hairstyles that need to be flat and smooth to work? I have accidental layers from my big chop a few years ago (and am just past hip length) and find it makes some updos really frustrating to do.

Does your hair hold a curl at all? You may like waves or heatless curls to help add some body to your hair.

I'd say, give it two weeks or so before you make a choice to cut in layers. :)

Deborah
September 14th, 2023, 11:39 AM
Maybe you would like your ends better if you cut them into a U shape instead of straight across. It would give a different look and feel, and maybe be enough change to make you feel better about your hair. Layers cut into thin-ish hair are just going to make the ends thinner. I doubt that you would be happy with that.

Bri-Chan
September 14th, 2023, 03:48 PM
A few months ago I cut some long layers into may hair. My ponytail is on the thinner side but the hemline didnt suffer.

lapushka
September 15th, 2023, 02:02 PM
Hello everyone :)

My hair is now at hip length with a straight hemline. It's very healthy but looks a bit dull without any volume. I wonder if long layers would make it look it look nicer but I'm worried it will get even more thinner in the ends. The ends are quiet thin, because I lost about 1/3 of my hair 2 years ago so I'm very cautious. I also think maybe trimming the ends a bit may help. Has any of you ever had very long even hair cut in layers? And did you like the results :)

My signature? Layers; all over (wolf cut, if that rings any bells). I mean I come from written stuff (books) and long before this became a "wolf cut" it was named a compact cut in "Haircutting for dummies". I don't bother going to a "snipper" (hairdresser) because they are scissor happy a lot of the time when faced with long hair. Just what I see happening around me a lot with hair dressers in my country.

If you have thick enough hair (like iii), then layers? Fine. But if it's average thickness, or less? I would not risk it.

tuanyiji
September 15th, 2023, 10:57 PM
If you already have a straight hemline and want volume, try heatless waves first, or experiment with different hair styles before you pick up the scissors.

TatsuOni
September 16th, 2023, 03:31 AM
Sleeping with a bun or braid ontop of your hair can give volume, when you take it down in the morning.

lunalocks
September 17th, 2023, 11:41 AM
Make a french braid with damp or wet hair and sleep on it. Volume in the morning!

luxurioushair
September 17th, 2023, 12:14 PM
Make a french braid with damp or wet hair and sleep on it. Volume in the morning!
This is the way.
Although my hair has volume, it lacks any regular pattern, so I give it a wave pattern using braidwaves or twist-outs, it's the best technique

TechnoAngel
September 19th, 2023, 06:43 AM
Update ;)

Thanks for all the advice, I went to the hairdresser and had about 2 inches/5 centimeters cut off. There were no split ends at all, but my ends are much fuller now so I'm very happy! He also cut some face framing layers. It's still at waist length/hip length somehow :)

https://i.imgur.com/C2b9Kaq.png

luxurioushair
September 19th, 2023, 10:29 AM
Well, all right! Your hair looks great!

maborosi
September 19th, 2023, 09:24 PM
Looks great! :)

TatsuOni
September 19th, 2023, 11:17 PM
Your hair looks beautiful! :)

Jonas
October 25th, 2023, 07:40 AM
Looks amazing! I'm happy you found a solution :)