PDA

View Full Version : I'd Like Your Input on My New-ish Routine. Growing w/ Wash & Go's

Katarina981
September 10th, 2023, 10:48 PM
Hey all!

Full disclosure: I have historically been scissor happy. I'm very aware that the immediate threat to my hair growth is staring at me in the mirror at 3am on a Tuesday:scissors:. I haven't observed (aside from my issue that I'm working out) that I have difficulty retaining length.

I've seen my hair at it's longest length BSL/MBL in 2021. This I can credit to wearing loose braids under a wig, deep conditioning every shampoo and leaving my hair alone.

Here's the thing: I do not like protective styles. I do not like braids nor twists. I want to do wash and go's. I will pin my curly hair up on occasion in formal updos or wear a loose bun. But I don't want to braid it.

August of 2022, I cut my hair to ear length - a curly pixie. I went back to wigs for the first 3-4 months (because I didn't really like it). I've grown my hair from shoulder length to APL in the last 8 months doing the following:

- Shampoo 1x or 2x a week
- Deep condition - diluted ACV, raw honey, castor oil, regular conditioner
- Let hair air dry up to 40%, diffuse to 80% and make two loose pompom ponytails.
- Put hair in loose ponytail with castor oil and olive oil 1 day before wash.
- Finger detangling before washes only. No combs, no hard bristle brushes.
- Protein treatment every 6-8 weeks (as needed)

Has anyone here grown their hair past APL by doing wash and go's?

Lady Winchester
September 11th, 2023, 01:48 AM
I don't do any of that. I just wash it once a week (sometimes twice, but not any more than that) with my regular Head and Shoulders 2 in 1 Dry Scalp shampoo plus conditioner, brush it out when it's wet, put a couple of barrettes in to keep it out of my face while it's air drying, then when it's dry, take the barrettes out and brush it out again and then put it back in a ponytail secured at the nape of my neck with either a covered elastic or big barrette. No deep conditioning, no oils and no finger detangling (I do that while I'm brushing it out). No other treatments than my regular 2 in 1 dandruff shampoo plus conditioner (or else my dandruff or dry scalp will come back with a vengeance). I have the same routine I've always had, haven't changed anything since joining LHC.

If I don't brush it out in a few days, I may get a bit of shedding, but nothing major. I spend more money on entertainment (movies, TV, video games, etc.) than hair products, since the only hair products I have a lot of are covered elastics and various sizes of claw clips, nothing else. I use a plastic bristle brush and only use a comb to straighten my part (which is in it's natural position in the middle). Only my Mom uses more than one conditioner, since she colors her hair, but mine's still considered virgin (not color treated or chemically processed in any way). A little darker and coarser after coming back from chemo, but nothing I have to change my routine for (I don't have the patience for all that work, since I'm very low maintenance).

ETJ CURLS
September 11th, 2023, 10:16 AM
Hey all!

Full disclosure: I have historically been scissor happy. I'm very aware that the immediate threat to my hair growth is staring at me in the mirror at 3am on a Tuesday:scissors:. I haven't observed (aside from my issue that I'm working out) that I have difficulty retaining length.

I've seen my hair at it's longest length BSL/MBL in 2021. This I can credit to wearing loose braids under a wig, deep conditioning every shampoo and leaving my hair alone.

Here's the thing: I do not like protective styles. I do not like braids nor twists. I want to do wash and go's. I will pin my curly hair up on occasion in formal updos or wear a loose bun. But I don't want to braid it.

August of 2022, I cut my hair to ear length - a curly pixie. I went back to wigs for the first 3-4 months (because I didn't really like it). I've grown my hair from shoulder length to APL in the last 8 months doing the following:

- Shampoo 1x or 2x a week
- Deep condition - diluted ACV, raw honey, castor oil, regular conditioner
- Let hair air dry up to 40%, diffuse to 80% and make two loose pompom ponytails.
- Put hair in loose ponytail with castor oil and olive oil 1 day before wash.
- Finger detangling before washes only. No combs, no hard bristle brushes.
- Protein treatment every 6-8 weeks (as needed)

Has anyone here grown their hair past APL by doing wash and go's?

Hello, and welcome!

I have not (my hair doesn't like gels - which tend to prevent tangling and SSKs from WNGs - so I don't wear them too often), but quite a few of the ladies on youtube have. The one who springs to mind most immediately is Kayla from "What the Kink (https://www.youtube.com/@WhatTheKink)". I believe her hair is WL when stretched, and WnGs are her go-to style. So it's definitely possible; I believe the key is keeping it as simple as possible.

Also, check out the No Trimming Club (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=132) to get yourself to put those scissors down. It's been helping me a lot. :)

shelomit
September 17th, 2023, 05:18 PM
Sounds like a good start to me! My hair would want more moisture and less protein, but my hair isn't your hair ( ;

If you're looking for a way to prevent breakage that isn't fussy, have you experimented with bonnets/headscarves at all? Easy enough to tuck wash-and-go hair inside a bonnet and it doesn't pull on your scalp like braids/twists can. I know it's too "dressed down" of a look for a lot of people to want to wear in the daytime, though.

maborosi
September 17th, 2023, 10:09 PM
Are you comfortable considering something like a silk pillowcase or sleep cap? That does a lot to help protect your hair!