PDA

View Full Version : If you could make your own products... What would they be like?

cadaverinna
August 23rd, 2023, 10:20 AM
And if you do, what are those like?

- No budget and you get as much as you need.

I don't think I'll ever find such a thing as a perfect shampoo, so I'd make mine as simple as possible -- they're only for cleaning the hair unless medicated. Sulfate-free w jojoba or macadamia and castor oil + lavender and peppermint essential oils instead of synthetic fragrances. I'm one of those people who prefer everything dye-free, fragrance-free, paraben-free, sulfate-free etc, but only when it comes to stuff that has direct contact w the skin. Plus, even though I have very little sense of smell, the essential oils do smell better in my opinion.

I've found my perfect cleansing conditioner and hair masks, but for styling, I'd whip up a leave-in for medium-thickness hair. Medium. Not thin hair, not coarse hair. Leave-ins truly made for medium hair are actually really hard to find. I like the lighter to medium oils for styling, like jojoba, macadamia, avocado, and squalane, and NEED silicones + heat protection, but I'd also add niacinamide for it's hair filler action. For the liquid silicone step I'd like just the simplest formula possible, just silicones, light oils, and the needed preservatives and stabilizers. Both of these would be scented w neroli essential oil, which is the best smell in the world, period.
My perfect mousse is Lee Stafford's non-sticky formula.

I make my own post-wash tonic w tea tree hydrosol and aloe + lavender extracts, and my pre-poo is always coconut oil on lengths and ends and a cassia obovata infusion(on whatever oil + castor oil) w whatever EOs I have laying around -- usually peppermint, pink peppercorn, rosemary, lavender, or clary sage.

pumpkinsage
August 25th, 2023, 03:57 PM
I've been wanting to experiment with making my own hair balm/butter! So far, I've found one that I absolutely love but the shipping is $20.. So I want to find an alternative for it or make it myself because the ingredients are super simple. And I'm not allergic to any of the ingredients, whereas other formulas put EOs in and I'm allergic to some of them. Also anything with babassu nut oil is a no go for me, I'll be extremely itchy and dizzy until I wash it out again. It seems like it's in a lot of hair care and now even body care items.

Ingredients:
Butyrospermum parkii (Shea) Butter, Mangifera Indica (Mango) Seed Butter, Vitis Vinifera (Grapeseed) Oil, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Oil, Prunus Armeniaca (Apricot) Oil, Ricinus Communis (Castor) Oil, Chebe Powder, Argania Spinosa (Argan) Oil, Vitamin E

See? SO simple, but I'm sure that if I had to buy the ingredients, I wouldn't be able to get small amounts, they'd be in bulk or at least 4oz at the smallest. For my hair length now, I really don't need a lot of product but I'm sure that once my hair gets MBL or HL, I'll need to double the amount I use now. I only use a pea sized amount right now each time I apply the product.

I would also like to make my own shampoo or conditioner bars. I need a conditioning bar that will coat my hair to lock in the moisture from the H2O in the shower and it's hard to find one that is nice and thick. It'd probably be rich in butters and oils too. Or even try making my own deep conditioning mask or leave-in conditioner. I know that my hair needs something extra occlusive, emollient, and conditioning because my hair tends to be on the dry side (my ends) and my roots get slightly oily after 2-3 days without any product on them. I also have a sensitive dry scalp that can get itchy so making a serum for my scalp would be nice. I read niacinamide is also good for the scalp. I, personally, am weary of using alpha-hydroxy acids on my scalp because it makes my scalp seriously peel right after a shower so a better alternative is finding something to hydrate it instead of exfoliating it.

I do have to agree with you on finding a good leave-in for medium hair! I have such a hard time so I go heavy on the creams and butters to counteract my light leave-ins.

I've been meaning to do rosemary tea rinses. That's one thing I can do on my own! I have also made my own shampoo concoction with shikakai powder and rhassoul clay with a dash of rosemary EO. It's a good shampoo alternative and all you need to do is mix it with some distilled water in a bottle. Very nice shampoo/cowash for me!

Bat
August 26th, 2023, 10:30 PM
Great thread idea!

I'd make a miracle weekly treatment that actually makes your hair grow an inch a week period
But alas that's make believe and probably not good to force your body to grow hair faster

Für immer
August 28th, 2023, 02:13 PM
I would make products (mostly interested in hairmasks/hair butters) that are 100% vegan. :)
Would also like to focus on products that are good for wavy and curly hairtypes.