PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Color just not washing out!!

qvbit
August 17th, 2023, 10:10 AM
Has anyone had experience with the Crazy Color brand of semi-permanent/direct deposit dye? I dyed my virgin hair (grown out all my bleach long ago) deep pink in March. I'm used to most direct deposit dyes sliding right out of my hair after 5-10 washes when it's not bleached, and I've used plenty of different colours in the past, but this one sticks and sticks and sticks. The only way to get it to shift even a bit was to do multiple coconut oil masks plus leaving in shampoo for 5-10 minutes every few washes. I can see a little bit of pink washing out each time but it's now halfway through August washing once every 3-4 days which is my usual, and it's still quite pink. Am I doomed to have to grow it all out? Could it have penetrated too deep into my hair to fully wash out?

Nightshade
August 17th, 2023, 02:02 PM
It's possible your hair could be porous enough to grab onto it.

Look up how to remove direct dyes with Vitamin C :) I think that's your best first shot at removing it.

qvbit
August 17th, 2023, 02:19 PM
I've heard of this method but been afraid to try it as I've heard it just lightens your hair colour rather than pulling the pigment from the hair, and I really want to retain my natural hair colour once the dye is removed �� Have you had any experience with it and how did it turn out?

Bat
August 17th, 2023, 02:22 PM
As drying as it I'd you might have to resort to baking soda and a dandruff or clarifying shampoo that generally takes a bit out leave it on for 15- 20 minutes wash then deep condition the hell out of it or color oops if in America
Of course first try nightshades idea first it might do the trick and less drying

cadaverinna
August 17th, 2023, 02:52 PM
I second NightShade's comment on porosity, that's how those things stick to the hair, so even though it seems counterintuitive, bleached hair will keep colour longer than the same hair when it was natural -- to a certain point, of course.

I'd say go for a sulfur-based colour remover like Bat mentioned, but even though it works for most, be aware that it is unpredictable w direct dyes, like sometimes turning a pink residue more purple-like -- this will not damage your hair. If that doesn't work, try hot oil treatments where you maintain the heat for longer, like using a heated cap(do they still make those things??) or a normal cap where you blast some dryer heat every now and then. Only if these two fail, try a vitamin C or baking soda DIY remover, as it sounds like your hair is already on the more porous side.
Although my favourite way of removing direct dyes is w clear dye, or 000/0000 dye, which is sometimes used as a gloss or lightening booster(depends on the brand). It doesn't add colour to the hair and it'll only lighten it if you leave it for too long. When I had emerald green on top of my blondette colour that's what I used to get it out w/o messing my natural shade. I'd apply it on 1/4 of my hair at a time and rinse it as soon as I saw the green tint gone. I found that actually damages the hair less than astringent removers.

Bat
August 17th, 2023, 06:59 PM
You triggered a memory cadaverinna
In my hairdressing course I had to do that once, remove bright orange manic panic we managed to get it to a pinky blond using a toner

LydiaStauffer
August 17th, 2023, 07:29 PM
I have had some luck using dish soap to remove hairdye in the past! I know people who have used commercial hairdye remover(can't remember the brand) and it did work but it also seemed to lighten the hair underneath, which you likely don't want if you have virgin hair under the dye!

ETJ CURLS
August 17th, 2023, 07:33 PM
If you apply colour theory, you may be able to use another colour to cancel out the pink. There are videos on youtube of people trying it, and it seems to work fairly well. The idea is that since pink and green are opposites on the colour wheel, if you add in the correct shade of green you should get an ashy brown. I would do a test strip first before committing to your whole head though.

Obsidian
August 17th, 2023, 08:30 PM
I've used vitamin C a lot to fade fashion colors. Its never lightened my natural color but I do have very light hair.
Some pinks really stick but you should be able to fade it some

stardust lady
August 17th, 2023, 09:44 PM
Last year I did a semi-permanent jet black color that was absolutely revolting on me, and I had some luck with ColorOops. Don't expect a miracle, but it definitely works. Vit C was less effective, but seemed to help a bit too.

stardust lady
August 17th, 2023, 09:50 PM
As drying as it I'd you might have to resort to baking soda and a dandruff or clarifying shampoo that generally takes a bit out leave it on for 15- 20 minutes wash then deep condition the hell out of it or color oops if in America
Of course first try nightshades idea first it might do the trick and less drying

Oh yeah this was good too! I did this a few times after the color oops and lots of dye rinsed out. Just be extremely careful with the wet hair after baking soda. Those cuticles are going to be very lifted. Use the slippiest conditioner you have, apply gobs of it, and very gently finger detangle it out from bottom to top.

lapushka
August 18th, 2023, 02:46 AM
I think going straight to a color remover might be better. If it's porous already, Baking Soda, vit.C, all of that stuff is majorly abrasive... I just... wouldn't.

cadaverinna
August 18th, 2023, 02:50 AM
You triggered a memory cadaverinna
In my hairdressing course I had to do that once, remove bright orange manic panic we managed to get it to a pinky blond using a toner

Same here! I was the only one not afraid to do it in my class lol You couldn't apply it in the washing bowl there, house rules, so I had to be extremely fast before it needed to be rinsed. But it's my favourite method for getting the residue off!

Obsidian
August 18th, 2023, 10:07 AM
I think going straight to a color remover might be better. If it's porous already, Baking Soda, vit.C, all of that stuff is majorly abrasive... I just... wouldn't.

Vit c isn't abrasive at all. You crush the pills and add a little water to completely dissolve it it before adding shampoo, makes a nice smooth mix. Baking soda is a whole different beast, its terrible for hair.

Cool remover like color oops isn't made for fashion colors and often doesn't work at all. Unfortunately most color removers designed for fun colors is just glorified bleach

Nightshade
August 18th, 2023, 12:03 PM
Vit c isn't abrasive at all. You crush the pills and add a little water to completely dissolve it it before adding shampoo, makes a nice smooth mix. Baking soda is a whole different beast, its terrible for hair.

Cool remover like color oops isn't made for fashion colors and often doesn't work at all. Unfortunately most color removers designed for fun colors is just glorified bleach

Baking soda is AWFUL for hair. I wrote an entire article about why:
https://www.nightblooming.com/2018/01/11/washing-hair-with-baking-soda-damaging-trend/

It's far too alkaline for hair.

I'd try the vit C first, then half honey / half strong shampoo (like dandruff shampoo). Slather it on, leave it half an hour and rinse with hot water (not so hot it scalds, of course).

Vit C is also called ascorbic acid, and you can buy it as a powder so you don't have to crush tablets:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AYIM9Y8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

lapushka
August 18th, 2023, 04:42 PM
Baking soda is AWFUL for hair. I wrote an entire article about why:
https://www.nightblooming.com/2018/01/11/washing-hair-with-baking-soda-damaging-trend/

It's far too alkaline for hair.

I'd try the vit C first, then half honey / half strong shampoo (like dandruff shampoo). Slather it on, leave it half an hour and rinse with hot water (not so hot it scalds, of course).

Vit C is also called ascorbic acid, and you can buy it as a powder so you don't have to crush tablets:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AYIM9Y8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My mistake then to lop vit.C in with the baking soda. Sorry for that one!
I stand corrected. :)

Actually this reminds me of my grandpa on dad's side, he used to get this huge tub (like protein powder size but back in the day when that wasn't yet an "item") of AA powder from the pharmacy, dissolve a spoonful every day in the morning, and that's how he got to be in his 80s with a severe heart problem (for which he got nitro patches). He believed in it. I believe it.

Ylva
August 21st, 2023, 03:35 AM
If you go for a color remover (such as Color Oops), remember to rinse it for a LONG time. Like 20 minutes. Otherwise, it will not work as intended.

I have no personal experience with them but have learned this from watching people's hair fails on YouTube. :D

stardust lady
August 21st, 2023, 01:39 PM
If you go for a color remover (such as Color Oops), remember to rinse it for a LONG time. Like 20 minutes. Otherwise, it will not work as intended.

I have no personal experience with them but have learned this from watching people's hair fails on YouTube. :D

Yeah you basically have to camp out over a sink for 20 minutes with the water running. Not a good color removal method in a drought I suppose...