PDA

View Full Version : Changes at each length

cadaverinna
August 3rd, 2023, 01:54 AM
Mochichichi's post about making changes at finger tip length inspired me to make this one. Here are mine, considering the lengths I've sported and what I remember about each:

Chin to shoulder length - must heat style. My hair is too thick for hairstyles(at least the ones I'd wear) at that length and for it to hold heatless curls it must be either long, have some damage to it, or use hairspray -- which I hate. If it's short and virgin it just will not hold anything. Still, it might get kinked by the flexi rods or rollers and that's hard to fix w/o heat. Sometimes the kink will last longer than the waves.
I don't really like to use cones here because I feel my hair gets too silky. Won't even hold hair accessories. I didn't really trim it at this length "family".

Armpit to waist length - I can do w/o the heat, but it's when it starts to get messy really easily bc it's light so I'll start weighing it down a bit w product -- usually a leave-in that's still on the lighter side, so I can control how much I apply. I also start pre-pooing at this point, I don't feel the need before APL.
For hairstyles I'll mostly go for loose braids, as it's till too thick to do pretty buns(unless they're for half-ups, which I don't really wear a lot). This is when I start going ham w crown braids and changing up my fringe more often. Styling is leave-in + silicone serum and trims come when needed, usually every 6 months or not even that. I'm growing back to at least hip now(MBL ATM) and don't really want to trim bc I want to get there faster and I'm cool w the V-shaped hemline I have from a butterfly cut.

Hip to classic length - can finally start doing the nautilus bun, which is my favourite, SAFELY. I technically can do it at MBL, but I feel it has to be too tight and I don't want the breakage. This is when I'll start wearing it up or braided 90% of the time and I'll add carrier oils(usually coconut bc I always have it for soapmaking) to my ends along w the leave-in + silicone combo. I'm usually wearing a side braid here so I never had to face the "moving the hair away to use the toilet" situation lol
Trims here are regular bc I've always liked super blunt sword-cut hemlines, usually every 2-3 months, but this time I'll see how I feel about a tapering hemline on longer hair, which I've never worn.

Fingertip to mid-thigh length - this is as far as I went. I was younger, so I didn't really pay attention to it, always had it down and here's around where I could finally wrap an english braid around for a coronet braid. Don't know if I have too much hair or just a big head lol
Don't really remember getting it out of the way for things... I think I'd just fling it w my head lol

How about you guys?

Greengable
August 3rd, 2023, 03:45 AM
Really interesting post ♥️ I am only mbl so I just braid it in the night and wear it up in the day mostly. When I had it shorter I always wore it down or in a ponytail/bun.
I don't see any changes in my hair just the length.

BVU
August 3rd, 2023, 08:46 AM
Most of my hair journey is consistant until I reach ftl, because I don't do anything. I remember the most noticable change was around lowerthigh-knee, and I had to start using my bbbs completely different. When I reached calf I had to change my method again, and it became more time consuming. (from taking 10 minutes a day to almost 15) I was also able to start wearing a bun that runs in my family, maybe ill make a video of it at some point, but idk I don't like buns.

angel-baby
August 3rd, 2023, 01:07 PM
Needing heat between chin/shoulder is so real! It was a big part of why I decided to start growing my hair out again. Maybe if I had started a wavy hair routine earlier things would have been different, but when I had shorter hair I blow dried it or ironed it every day or it was completely crazy.

Waist length is usually when I start doing updos more regularly; it seems like it makes the wait between waist and hip more tolerable. When I had tailbone length hair I liked long braids the best, bc they show the length while still being protective.

I'm at BSL at the moment, and just working on refining my wavy hair routine and keeping my ends in good shape.

Lady Winchester
August 3rd, 2023, 03:32 PM
I didn't need heat at chin to shoulder length, just mousse. I have naturally curly hair that sticks out too much if it's any shorter than shoulder length, so I had to buy some mousse to keep it under control until it reached my shoulders when I was growing it back after losing it to chemo. Once it reached my shoulders, I didn't need to tame my curls anymore, since this is when they begin to spiral. Unlike when it's longer and I simply put it back in a ponytail gathered at the nape of my neck and secured with either a covered elastic or big barrette, I simply secured it with a single barrette and wore it in a half up, half down style (but not all of the time, sometimes I just used barrettes on either sides of my head to keep it out of my face, the same thing I do now after I wash it). I prefer it longer, since it tends to get on my nerves if it's any shorter than shoulder length (even at this length, it doesn't seem to hold a ponytail or braid, since there's not enough hair to keep it in place, but it's not half as annoying as it is when it's any shorter than this). I won't grow it any longer than waist length, since I'll have the same issue. If I'm sitting on it, it's time to trim it back to APL.

I've never straightened my natural curls or used any kind of oil or leave in conditioner (since it doesn't really need it). The only time the frizziness got worse was when I got a perm during my Dirty Dancing phase when I was about 15 (I posted a picture in the shortest to longest thread). I was trying to imitate Jennifer Grey's character. I even either bought or made a similar dress that I wore to a family photo, which my Mom still has a copy of somewhere. I never did this again, my natural curls are curly enough. Luckily, losing it to chemo didn't make me lose my curls, but it might have been a bit curlier than it usually was when it first started growing back, but has gone back to the texture it was before (even if it's darkened by a few shades, so I'm no longer a strawberry blonde, but a brunette with blonde or red highlights).

cadaverinna
August 4th, 2023, 12:53 AM
I was also able to start wearing a bun that runs in my family, maybe ill make a video of it at some point, but idk I don't like buns.

Get us that video!!

--

Needing heat between chin/shoulder is so real! It was a big part of why I decided to start growing my hair out again. Maybe if I had started a wavy hair routine earlier things would have been different, but when I had shorter hair I blow dried it or ironed it every day or it was completely crazy.

It's always us in the 1-2 type hair suffering with the heat thing!!
I find that I have to "dry" it out in order to keep myself from looking like I have a wig on until it makes it to APL. I've been asked got knows how many times if my hair was a wig from chin to shoulder! The fringe doesn't help though lol

BVU
August 4th, 2023, 09:46 AM
I'll have to wait till calf for that bun, remind me in a few years lmfao

Shorty89
August 4th, 2023, 02:11 PM
I don't know if this counts but at tailbone length, I start getting hair in my nether regions. :rolleyes:

Bat
August 5th, 2023, 04:23 AM
I don't know if this counts but at tailbone length, I start getting hair in my nether regions. :rolleyes:

Not real hair but I've been dealing that with wig hair, you never know what you'll pull out, today was an orange and a green one

Shorty89
August 5th, 2023, 10:44 PM
At least mine is more or less one colour. :lol:

Entangled
August 6th, 2023, 09:14 PM
Going from classic to fingertip length made a pretty drastic difference in tangle levels. I had to completely re-learn how to handle my hair. That’s when I started keeping it braided 90% of the time, and had to switch from my TT to a comb on dry hair. But past FTL everything’s been more or less the same, all the way down to past mid-calf, though at some point along the way I switched to a different way of tying off my braids due to taper.

vampyyri
August 10th, 2023, 04:07 PM
I found now that I'm WL+ that I have a harder time with my claw clip rolled up bun, it takes a lot more looping in on itself. It was my go-to lazy hairstyle from APL to now, but I think my ficcares might need to make a more frequent appearance :p