PDA

View Full Version : Another Migraine Thread

Annapox
July 31st, 2023, 04:44 PM
I know other people have asked about migraine-friendly hairstyles, but I've tried the suggestions I've seen in those threads without success. Hairstyles don't give me migraines unless they're too tight, but if I already have a migraine (which is often), certain hairstyles can make it worse. Usually a single English braid works fine, but today it doesn't. Leaving my hair down works, but if I do that it'll become ridiculously tangled. I've seen a lot of people suggest French braids, and that might be a solution if they were doable for me, but with my disability my arms usually get painfully tired almost immediately. Of the hairstyles I've tried, the one that came closest to helping was the log roll, which made most of my scalp feel better but made parts of my hairline hurt. Did I just do it wrong? Frame buns help until I wrap the extra sections of hair around the bun; then they're worse than regular buns. Or maybe I was doing those wrong, too? Picking up my braid and holding it to take the weight off my scalp helps slightly, but that isn't a good long-term solution.

So basically I'm just wondering whether there's anything else I can try to make my hair feel less heavy. Or whether I'm just doing something wrong when I'm trying all these hairstyles. Times like these I'm almost (but not quite) tempted to go back to shoulder-length hair so that leaving my hair down wouldn't make it tangle so much.

SandyBottom
July 31st, 2023, 05:56 PM
I feel your pain. Sorry you have these migraine issues. How long is your hair? Have you tried a Nessa bun, rope braid, or maybe just loose inside a satin bonnet? Do you know what triggers your migraines (stress, smells, dehydration, lack of sleep, sinus issues etc)? I have a number of things that contribute to mine, but sinus/ear drainage is the most regular culprit and peppermint essential oil dabbed behind each ear by the jawline and at the nape of my neck helps a LOT with those. If you try this, I don't recommend it at night. For me, it has almost a caffeine effect, in that it gives me a bit of an energy boost. Migraines are so individual it's hard to determine what will help someone else. Good luck:blossom:

Annapox
July 31st, 2023, 06:04 PM
I have a bunch of migraine triggers, but my main ones right now are weather-related sinus headaches and cars driving by with the bass turned all the way up. I also sometimes get what I call "just because" migraines, which don't have a clear trigger.

I've tried peppermint essential oil for other things before, and I find that it stings quite a bit (I have sensory issues).

My hair is about waist-length. I tried a rope braid earlier today, and it worked about as well as the English braid. I've never heard of a Nessa bun before, but I will look it up. I don't own a satin bonnet. It might be worth buying one to wear at home if I can't find a bun or a braid that works.

SandyBottom
July 31st, 2023, 06:12 PM
For the peppermint oil, maybe a diffuser or simply inhaling the scent (gently) would work. It helps with opening the airways and improving blood flow.

cadaverinna
August 1st, 2023, 12:59 AM
I have the same issue. That was the reason I last cut my hair into nearly a long bob, the sheer weight of it. My migraines come from epilepsy-related stuff most of the times and the weight makes them insufferable, so I'll usually go for low ponytails, low loose buns, loose braids, or crown braids. My favourite is the latter bc it's secure, doesn't weigh my head down(if you can believe it), and looks nice.

How about a loose english braid, since it works for you and can prevent tangles? I never braid mine tight and it works fine. I also second trying the peppermint EO again in a diffuser, aromatherapy candle/wax melts, or just dripping it on a piece of paper and keeping it near you.
One more thing: neck exercises! Been doing a few light stretches every day since I read that Halle Bailey had a neck exercise routine for THAT scene in The Little Mermaid and I actually think it might save me from cutting it again when I get to waist in a couple of months. Doesn't hurt to try.

Nefcerka
August 1st, 2023, 02:21 AM
Hello Annapox! I´m not sure if this will be of any help, but I´ll try:
If I were you, I´d try that satin bonnet as was suggested above - they come in all shapes and sizes and if wearing your hair down feels good, than this will prevent tangles. However, if you are able, try any bonnet on before purchase - I´ve ordered four online and one of them is uncomfortably tight around my head and there is no adjustment. Look for a wide, soft, adjustable band on your bonnet.
If you can do an English braid and it feels good holding its weight away from you, I´d suggest trying a coronet braid. If your hair is waist length, you probably won´t be able to circle your whole head with just one braid - I´d try making two english braids and putting them up, intertwining them on the top. I´m not sure how I´d secure them though - I hope bobby pins wouldn´t worsen your headache, but I´m sure there would be some way to do it?

Entangled
August 1st, 2023, 07:10 AM
I also do a coronet braid, held up by small claw clips rather than pins. My hair is almost always braided, so it’s low-effort enough for me, but YMMV.

lapushka
August 1st, 2023, 08:31 AM
Hairstyles don't make an iota of a difference when I have a migraine (knock on wood, it's been quite a while). Just medications, taken on time, and rest.

Annapox
August 1st, 2023, 11:45 AM
For the peppermint oil, maybe a diffuser or simply inhaling the scent (gently) would work. It helps with opening the airways and improving blood flow.

Inhaling it could work. Probably not in a diffuser, because I have guinea pigs and they have very sensitive noses, but I have a couple essential oil blends in little containers that you just hold near your nose to inhale. I could try that with peppermint essential oil.

Annapox
August 1st, 2023, 11:57 AM
I have the same issue. That was the reason I last cut my hair into nearly a long bob, the sheer weight of it. My migraines come from epilepsy-related stuff most of the times and the weight makes them insufferable, so I'll usually go for low ponytails, low loose buns, loose braids, or crown braids. My favourite is the latter bc it's secure, doesn't weigh my head down(if you can believe it), and looks nice.

How about a loose english braid, since it works for you and can prevent tangles? I never braid mine tight and it works fine. I also second trying the peppermint EO again in a diffuser, aromatherapy candle/wax melts, or just dripping it on a piece of paper and keeping it near you.
One more thing: neck exercises! Been doing a few light stretches every day since I read that Halle Bailey had a neck exercise routine for THAT scene in The Little Mermaid and I actually think it might save me from cutting it again when I get to waist in a couple of months. Doesn't hurt to try.

I'll have to try braiding more loosely, I guess. I tried yesterday but went on autopilot and ended up with a snug braid like I usually do.

Annapox
August 1st, 2023, 12:04 PM
Hello Annapox! I´m not sure if this will be of any help, but I´ll try:
If I were you, I´d try that satin bonnet as was suggested above - they come in all shapes and sizes and if wearing your hair down feels good, than this will prevent tangles. However, if you are able, try any bonnet on before purchase - I´ve ordered four online and one of them is uncomfortably tight around my head and there is no adjustment. Look for a wide, soft, adjustable band on your bonnet.
If you can do an English braid and it feels good holding its weight away from you, I´d suggest trying a coronet braid. If your hair is waist length, you probably won´t be able to circle your whole head with just one braid - I´d try making two english braids and putting them up, intertwining them on the top. I´m not sure how I´d secure them though - I hope bobby pins wouldn´t worsen your headache, but I´m sure there would be some way to do it?

I'll keep that in mind about the bonnet.

When I braid my hair, I can wrap the braid a little over halfway around my head; the hair tie is usually just past my center part. So two braids would probably work better. I don't really have anything with which to pin the braids in place other than bobby pins, but I can give that a try.

Annapox
August 1st, 2023, 12:14 PM
Hairstyles don't make an iota of a difference when I have a migraine (knock on wood, it's been quite a while). Just medications, taken on time, and rest.

I'm under no illusions that changing my hairstyle will actually get rid of the migraine, but since the feeling of my hair pulling on my scalp makes the pain worse, it seems like finding a hairstyle that doesn't create that pulling sensation should alleviate the pain somewhat. I have a monthly migraine preventative and three different rescue meds, but there's a limit to how often I can take each of the rescue meds. I'm just looking for coping mechanisms for when the migraine is too bad to ignore but not bad enough to warrant taking meds (because I know I'll need them for a worse migraine in the future).

Entangled
August 1st, 2023, 05:33 PM
Another possible alternative would be to wrap extra length around your hand and clip that ring of hair with a claw clip, which shortens the hair while still allowing it to feel like it’s down. If it’s weight more than distribution, though, my only other thought is to let the hair rest on something, like when a braid rests on your shoulder so that part of its weight is taken by your shoulder and it doesn’t directly pull.

Annapox
August 1st, 2023, 08:20 PM
I actually don't own any claw clips because I've never been able to get them to stay in my hair for more than a few minutes at a time. :/ Resting my braid on my shoulder definitely helps, but my braid doesn't stay put very easily. Maybe I should find a way to clip it to my shirt. :p