PDA

View Full Version : Finally got some derm help for hairloss & feel hopeful again. BUT please help me NOT>

EggLover
July 30th, 2023, 01:24 PM
trim my own hair!!! I need all the tips, tricks, encouragement, words of wisdom I can get!

I was here 6-7 months ago, but my hair loss got so bad I got depressed and didn't want to come to the forum. Won't go into the sad tale of my hair loss, but I have been officially diagnosed with female pattern hair loss and chronic Telogen Effluvium. Started spironolactone and oral minoxidil last week. Trust me when I say this has gone on for YEARS and I truly have tried EVERYTHING. I don't love taking px meds, but I also don't want to go bald. I'm actually encouraged for the first time in a long time.

My 2a/2b, high porosity, very low density hair is short and layered. I have the BAD tendency to trim myself. I don't trust most hairstylst to not go crazy, but then I always go crazy and take more than I planned!

It's pretty healthy now for the most part. Dry ends, but not too bad. I have every bond builder and hair treatment product you can get. So as long as I nurture my hair I shouldn't have to trim again for at least a year.

I need all the support I can get. How do I get past the super awkward short phase? If you've grown out from bad what got you through the hard 6-9 months without cutting/trimming?

A most sincere thanks in advance!

luxurioushair
July 30th, 2023, 01:59 PM
I guess maybe you can hide your scissors in an annoying location? So you'll be less inclined to cut your hair. Then just decide that you are not going to trim it for any reason. Just never trim it and it might become your habit.

EggLover
July 30th, 2023, 02:13 PM
I guess maybe you can hide your scissors in an annoying location? So you'll be less inclined to cut your hair. Then just decide that you are not going to trim it for any reason. Just never trim it and it might become your habit.

Good idea! Actually maybe I should just throw them away lol! Like they are only the $10 conair ones, so in a year IF I need them I'll just rebuy. :)

embee
July 30th, 2023, 04:33 PM
That's a hard phase, growing out. Just live through it, pin it back as best you can. I found great earrings made me feel a bit better about my looks when my hair was so ugly. Join the No Trimming threads for encouragement.

EggLover
July 30th, 2023, 06:45 PM
That's a hard phase, growing out. Just live through it, pin it back as best you can. I found great earrings made me feel a bit better about my looks when my hair was so ugly. Join the No Trimming threads for encouragement.

Thank you I will! :)

BVU
July 30th, 2023, 07:18 PM
Maybe try a scarf or hat? Won't bother you if you can't see it lol

Kat
July 30th, 2023, 08:52 PM
Congratulations! I'm hoping this goes well for you.

Bat
July 31st, 2023, 01:08 AM
Good luck! Come join us in the buzz to chin thread in the length Milestones sub forum
So we can help you keep motivated.

SandyBottom
July 31st, 2023, 06:34 PM
Glad you found something that's giving you hope again! Maybe the hair loss support thread would be helpful too.

EggLover
August 1st, 2023, 12:06 PM
Glad you found something that's giving you hope again! Maybe the hair loss support thread would be helpful too.

Thank you! Kinda embarrassed to ask but where do I find this thread? I don't see it.

SandyBottom
August 1st, 2023, 08:12 PM
It was back a few pages. Here it is: https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=1124