PDA

View Full Version : Usual conditioner now makes my hair feel plasticky

Purple Ink
July 20th, 2023, 02:32 PM
Hello everyone! As the title says, my usual conditioner bar (that I've been using for over a year) is suddenly making my hair feel like plastic, so I'm not sure what is happening here. I have tried rinsing it more, using a lot less of it, clarifying a few times, not leaving it on for too long, but nothing seems to be working. I'm pretty sure the problem comes from the conditioner too, because one day I replaced it with jojoba oil as a leave-in, and my hair turned out perfectly fine again.

Is it possible that this conditioner actually has silicones? It's a conditioner bar, but it didn't have any packaging, so I have no idea what brand it is. Another hypothesis I have is that the heat of the summer or leaving it for too long in the shower even when I'm not using it somehow affected it, if that is even possible?

Has something similar happened to anyone before? Next time I'll try another conditioner to see if it does a better job. In case it doesn't, would it work to skip conditioner and apply jojoba oil once my hair is dry/nearly dry? I'm afraid it'll either dry and damage my ends, or force me to clarify every time I wash my hair, which would dry my scalp.

spidermom
July 20th, 2023, 03:00 PM
Yeh, hair is weird. Something can work perfectly well 100 times and be awful the 101st time. You've already tried what I would have suggested - clarifying - so it may be time to thank the conditioner bar for the 100 good times, then tell it goodbye.

Dark40
July 23rd, 2023, 05:17 PM
Yeah, I agree with spidermom.

Purple Ink
July 25th, 2023, 01:07 PM
Update: I tried another conditioner and indeed, it seems to be time to bid farewell to my old one. Thank you both for your answers!