PDA

View Full Version : Would bobby pins damage my hair?

longmane
July 12th, 2023, 10:39 PM
Currently growing out my bangs. They are frustrating me as they have started to get in my eyes. Do bobby pins damage hair? I am looking for suggestions for non-damaging ways to deal with overgrown bangs. The last thing i want is to be stuck with short bangs longer than i have to.

SandyBottom
July 13th, 2023, 12:03 AM
I haven't worn bobby pins to grow out bangs since I was a kid and don't remember, but another option might be to use mini claw clips or a soft headband.

Nefcerka
July 13th, 2023, 01:16 AM
IMHO it depends on the type of bobby pin. I´ve come across some bobby pins that were really sharp, I tossed them. A good bobby pin should be not too tight and it should have a soft ball-like protection at both tips (those you slide into your hair). Sometimes that part falls off, then I wouldn´t use it any more. When growing out bangs I also used soft plastic headbands (kind of like meant for kids, but they fitted me).

cadaverinna
July 13th, 2023, 10:03 AM
If you're using bobby pins just for growing out a fringe's sake don't worry about it, it's when you're securing an updo that they're dangerous(I prefer spin pins or straight pins).

Dark40
July 13th, 2023, 10:29 AM
No, bobby pins are not damaging to the hair if you use the ones that has the balls on the ends of them, and not the kind that has the sharp ends to them. Which is dangerous enough to pull your hair and updos outl.

ArienEllariel
July 13th, 2023, 11:12 AM
As long as they don't feel like they're catching in your hair when you're trying to remove them, they should be fine. I've come across some that I couldn't use because they were wrapped with something for decoration and I could barely get them into my hair and they ripped it coming out. Good pins should be somewhat flexible to open and have those glue dots on the ends to keep from scratching and catching.

longmane
July 13th, 2023, 11:16 AM
Thanks everyone for your input

Gwendolynn
July 13th, 2023, 01:49 PM
Seconding the mini clawclips. I sometimes feel hair breaking or ripping out when I take my bobbypins out, even when I try to be careful. I much prefer U-pins or clawclips with my hair. Or a soft hairband! Or even a hat I guess

Kat
July 13th, 2023, 03:22 PM
What about clippy (or other type) barrettes?

pumpkinsage
July 14th, 2023, 10:35 PM
Tbh, every time I wear a bobby pin, I can feel it ripping my hairs out. So I think it depends on the type and angle that you put it into your hair, also how much hair is being caught in the bobby pin that's not your bangs. There are also velcro like hair pieces that you slide against your hair and it holds it in place. Highly recommend, easy, cute designs, simple and no pain. You can just look up "Japanese velcro hair piece" and it should pop up!

lapushka
July 15th, 2023, 09:27 AM
Currently growing out my bangs. They are frustrating me as they have started to get in my eyes. Do bobby pins damage hair? I am looking for suggestions for non-damaging ways to deal with overgrown bangs. The last thing i want is to be stuck with short bangs longer than i have to.

Do you have these kinds of "slide on" little claws, alligator ones, they look a lot like small electric connection clamps. Often they are metal but they do them in tortoise shell (plastic) as well. You put one one way, and you put a second one in the other way. This way no hair can escape. Bobby pins? They give me a headache, good for a bun if you stick it through, but for securing large chunks of hair? Nope. They are way too tight in my hair.

longmane
July 15th, 2023, 09:36 AM
Do you have these kinds of "slide on" little claws, alligator ones, they look a lot like small electric connection clamps. Often they are metal but they do them in tortoise shell (plastic) as well. You put one one way, and you put a second one in the other way. This way no hair can escape. Bobby pins? They give me a headache, good for a bun if you stick it through, but for securing large chunks of hair? Nope. They are way too tight in my hair.

No I don't have those. I have been wearing headbands with a high bun and was kinda getting tired of that. That's the kind of clips hairdressers use to hold sections, right? I'll look into those and claw clips. Thanks!

shelomit
July 15th, 2023, 01:49 PM
If I were in the same position I wouldn't have any qualms about securing the bangs with bobby pins, but of course different heads of hair are sensitive to different things (and brands/styles of bobby pins are different, too!). U-shaped hairpins do not function by compressing the hair and are about as readily available as bobby pins, but you generally have to use two U-pins to do the work of one bobby in this kind of context.

Alexandrina
July 19th, 2023, 12:35 AM
I think it also depends on how you take them out!
Like if you are just dragging them out so that they scrape every time in the exact same spot
(if you secure your bangs the same way every day, for example), I can see it damaging eventually.
But if you carefully take them out, by wedging them open a bit first, I think bobby pins are fine.

sarana
July 19th, 2023, 03:00 AM
YMMV, but bobby pins do damage my hair. Unless it's the u-shaped type, but those are not suitable for holding bangs away etc. Snap clips would be better

embee
July 19th, 2023, 05:44 AM
My trouble with bobbypins is the softer coating on the ends tends to work loose after a while and that will snag on hairs and pull/break them. But my pins are ancient and perhaps the manufacturing process has improved over the years! I've not used any of mine in probably a decade, but I still have a handful in a box with other hair things that are not in use. :)

lithostoic
July 19th, 2023, 12:10 PM
They work great for me! I think if they come out of your hair easily during takedown it shouldn't be an issue :)