PDA

View Full Version : Other people who have their strongest hair at the back of scalp?

Priska
July 11th, 2023, 03:46 PM
Or have you noticed stronger hair in some other area of your scalp?

When i pull my longest hair strands, i feel that these strands grow from my neck or the back part of my scalp. Those hairs have also always been shinier and wavier than hairs that grow on top. Those hairs just feel stronger in every way. I even don't have grey there. I guess balding men also keep these down part hair strands longest. Anyway my bangs hairs are also strong and feel to grow faster than other hairs, except the neck hair. I'm just curious to know if this is some kind of rule or something quite rare.

stardust lady
July 11th, 2023, 05:51 PM
This is true for me too, but only with age. It's like totally different hair now - different texture, different color, thicker, coarser, shinier.

I have wondered if the blood flow at the nape is better than on top. Also, there's less tension on each hair compared to the top (at least for me). And, since the hair is always pointing more orthogonally away from the follicle (compared to on top) it seems like sebum would exit the follicle and distrubute itself down the hair strands more easily, which I would guess is better for both the follicle and the hair. And of course there's different UV exposure on top vs underneath, and hormonal changes, and traction alopecia. Also, why are the follicles on the top of heads more sensitive to androgen than the follicles elsewhere?

Anyways I have more questions than answers but hopefully someone with a better understanding can chime in. Just adding my own thoughts because I have thought about this a lot in recent years as I have experienced more thinning on top.

Jovana
July 13th, 2023, 10:38 AM
It's the opposite for me, mine is sooo weak.

ArienEllariel
July 13th, 2023, 11:16 AM
I've got a good chunk of thicker, coarser, shinier hair at my crown. It's also darker than the rest of my hair. Consequently, I tend to pull them (bad, I know) and now I've got a shorter chunk of hair that's trying to grow in and I'm trying to leave it alone. Funny enough, they also tend to be more wavy/curly than the rest. I'll have to see what difference that makes at longer lengths. Most are around 4-5in right now so it's like a crown of frizzy hair.

Gwendolynn
July 13th, 2023, 01:46 PM
My hair is also seeminly more healthy at the bottom, although I feel like it's a little less happy when I wear my hair up for sleeping instead of in a single plait. Which makes sense, with all the rubbing against the pillow and all. But overall, my hair is absolutely more happy at the bottom than it is on top!

Priska
July 13th, 2023, 11:46 PM
My roots on my neck are very dark, almost black and weirdly seem to be darker than my hennaed hair (I rarely dye my neck roots).
https://img.aijaa.com/t/00666/15166601.t.jpg (https://aijaa.com/quTBjk)

Glitch
July 14th, 2023, 02:33 AM
Yes, my strongest and thickest hair is at the back of my scalp. :eye:

lapis_lazuli
July 14th, 2023, 04:31 AM
Haha... I have pulled on my longest hairs before to see where on my scalp they originate from :lol: I can't easily do that now, but considering the middle of my hemline is sparse compared to the right and left sides (I've been trying to even out a "reverse-U" for a while now), I don't think my longest hairs are from the centre of my head. They're usually from the left side, which has grown faster and thicker since reaching ankle (or probably more accurately, the other sections have slowed down).

lapushka
July 14th, 2023, 06:58 AM
My mom has thin hair. Her "thickest" parts are ears down. If you were to draw a line ear to ear, right over the top / crown of your head, all that in the back of it: very nice hair. But, in front, it's sooo very delicate, I wouldn't say "thin", because it's not see-through or anything, but it's just more fine, more delicate, and also due to hairspray use, there is some breakage there. She has semi-automatic side bangs (breakage).

DeRodeRuiter
August 3rd, 2023, 09:13 AM
Hmm… I haven’t noticed any areas being stronger than others, but my hair definitely feels healthier near where my neck is.