PDA

View Full Version : The Benign Neglect Challenge (July/2023- 31/December/2023)

longmane
July 8th, 2023, 01:31 PM
I got inspired by another thread that was started by wannabe-rusalka so I'm just going to copy/paste most of the text here with some modifications.
Here is the link to the thread if you're interested
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=145719

The point of this challenge is to help us forget about our hair while still enjoying the process of growing it out using benign neglect. It is for those of us who have trouble letting our hair grow without worrying about the hemline, length, thickness or just obsessing about it in general.

You can only join this challenge this month, anytime in between 8/July/2023 and 31/July/2023. This challenge will end on 31/December/2023.

RULES
You may:
-Follow your normal routine, whatever that entails
-Do deep treatments whenever you feel you need to or whatever is part of your normal hair routine
-Wear your hair down if it doesn't distract you or if it is what you normally would do
-Post pictures to other threads as long as its not a length shot
-You essentially may do whatever is part of your regular daily/weekly/monthly routine
-Trimming, microtrimming and S&D are okay if you think it is necessary e.g. cutting off damaged ends. But don't check your hemline while you trim your hair for obvious reasons. Also don't check the length while you trim.

You may NOT
-Measure your hair in anyway (length or ponytail circumference)
-Check your hemline
-Take length photos
-Obsess about your hair (this is the hardest one)
- Get a major haircut to change your hairstyle

*Feel free to suggest other rules that you think would be helpful.

If you want you can post here a picture of your hair when you join the challenge and one after the challenge is done!

longmane
July 8th, 2023, 02:27 PM
This is not part of the rules but personally i will be wearing it up most of the time. Wearing the hair up in a bun or putting it away with hair accessories like headbands could help with the benign neglect :)

Bat
July 8th, 2023, 02:35 PM
Ignore I didn't read the rules properly I'll be taking photos for a time lapse video this is a great idea though

Croww
July 8th, 2023, 03:10 PM
Ok, I’m in!

shelomit
July 10th, 2023, 03:23 PM
Ooh, I can do this! I just finished my Big Hair Thing for the half-year or so (shampooing + hennaing), so my hair and I ought to be happy to just chill out for a while : )

longmane
July 11th, 2023, 10:16 PM
let's go :cheer:

Nefcerka
July 12th, 2023, 01:43 AM
Dang, I would be happy to join, but only 3 months ago I started to measure my hair length because I want to find out, for the first time in my life, how much it grows a month (on average). And obsessing less would do me good, since I´m so impatient to get to at least TBL asap :redgrin: I will keep my fingers crossed for you people joining though! :cheer:

MadHouseWitch
July 12th, 2023, 02:23 PM
I've been doing this already, as it has helped me get to a new milestone (kinda?) But I'm still pushing for goal length, which has been YEARS to do.... SO the protective styles for me REALLY helps (though I miss curls from time to time, but I indulge too) As it is summer I've found it easy to just "toss into bun" for day, and braid it up at night. Obviously the challenge goes MORE than just this summer, but I've just rocking the "up hair" for a little bit and it has helped me A LOT. So I'm in.

I do need to trim up my bangs and do a S&D... both of which I've been happily neglecting ><

cadaverinna
July 12th, 2023, 03:46 PM
Been doing it for years but never took comparison pics or took notes, so this should be fun. I'll get a picture of my length and hemline + more context here in a bit.

I want to decrease the use of heat by as much as possible since I've been using a blow dry brush pretty much every other wash bc it's just more practical, my hair takes too long to dry naturally.

cadaverinna
July 13th, 2023, 10:50 AM
I hate this mirror bc it makes everything wider but its the only large one I have atm. These are my length + hemline shots, and you can kinda see where my roots end and the highlights begin.
I kinda regret getting this V-shaped hemline but that might be mostly bc I'm used to straight sword cut blunt ends. We'll see how it looks w no trimming, just S&D. I'll probably go back to blunt when this is over but it's good to try something new :)
https://i.postimg.cc/3dKGMTMk/7a81235c-a354-4d89-847e-5616785928b8.jpg (https://postimg.cc/3dKGMTMk)

https://i.postimg.cc/Js0Bn5zm/d9655415-6f51-48a1-a0fb-2c43bd5e816d.jpg (https://postimg.cc/Js0Bn5zm)

My current routine is:
- Weekly wash w SLS-free(pre-poo w oils) shampoo or co-wash(no pre-poo) > Braé Bond Angel n3 mask > Inoar Blends leave-in > Cones(Amend Gold Black atm) > Blow dry(bc it's autumn)
- I'm re-trying out satin bonnets, but I've been using satin pillowcases for maybe 7 years now
- Scalp gua sha, mostly w no set schedule, I'll just pick it up and dry massage my head when I'm watching a movie(...which is pretty often), but I'll for sure do it when I oil my scalp
- When I need it off of my face by order of most to least often used: french twist, messy bun, side braid, ponytail, crown braid

Changes I plan on making:
- More protective hairstyles
- Cut down on heat tools
- No trimming, S&D only

tuanyiji
September 5th, 2023, 11:52 PM
I’m late but I’m still joining this challenge. I won’t be measuring my hair length and circumference before 2024. Meanwhile I will keep on my minimalistic hair care routine of no-trimming/heat/elastic, fingercomb/bun only, daily oil, weekly WO rinse and monthly shampoo.

embee
September 6th, 2023, 05:38 AM
I think I'm in Benign Neglect mode for the foreseeable future. :)