PDA

View Full Version : at what length to wear up at night?

Cobblestone
July 2nd, 2023, 02:05 PM
My main question and an intro?

I'm at/close to APL. I have worn a braid at times to bed but usually just sleep with it down with a satin pillow case. I feel like a high ponytail/loose bun ends up with breakage in the back. What length was wearing your hair up a necessity for sleeping? How do you wear it?

I'm 45 and my hair has mainly been between my chin and shoulders all my life. I was told my hair was too thin/fine to grow. I realized i was damaging my hair by heat styling daily and have done a lot of things to maximize the health of my hair. It's the longest it's ever been! It looks great and has more body than when it was shorter/damaged. I've always wanted long hair. Not sure my end goal...

Sarahlabyrinth
July 2nd, 2023, 11:53 PM
I began wearing mine in a silk sleep cap just before I reached armpit length, the very first night I did I noticed 90% less tangles the next morning, so have worn one ever since!

TatsuOni
July 3rd, 2023, 05:58 AM
My main question and an intro?

I'm at/close to APL. I have worn a braid at times to bed but usually just sleep with it down with a satin pillow case. I feel like a high ponytail/loose bun ends up with breakage in the back. What length was wearing your hair up a necessity for sleeping? How do you wear it?

I'm 45 and my hair has mainly been between my chin and shoulders all my life. I was told my hair was too thin/fine to grow. I realized i was damaging my hair by heat styling daily and have done a lot of things to maximize the health of my hair. It's the longest it's ever been! It looks great and has more body than when it was shorter/damaged. I've always wanted long hair. Not sure my end goal...

You could write an introduction in the newbie section instead, where more people would probably see it :) https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28

SandyBottom
July 3rd, 2023, 07:39 PM
I didn't start until a few years ago when somewhere around classic, I think. I wish I had known about doing this many years ago...such a huge difference to wake up with practically no tangles at all and it doesn't get ripped out from being rolled on.

cadaverinna
July 3rd, 2023, 11:36 PM
Honestly I just wear it down until it's TBL or so, just making sure to use a satin pillowcase. Actually, I wear it UP... Like on top of my head. I took my bed frame out and I just lay it where it was supposed to be. I'm really picky about how I sleep and I don't really like braidwaves, but after waist ughh... You just learn to live with it.
If you have thin hair you might specifically not like the braidwaves it'd leave bc they'd be on the tighter side, so I'd say try a satin cap starting now, that way you'll give your hair the best enviroment possible while it grows.

cadaverinna
July 3rd, 2023, 11:38 PM
BTW I'd say no buns or ponies if you have fine hair. When you're sleeping you're not gonna be as careful w it, and you know those nape hairs love breakage. Even if it's loose or on the very top of your head I'm not into it and will not recommend to anyone for daily(nightly?) use.

Ylva
July 4th, 2023, 04:13 AM
I’ve never slept with my hair up, not when it was almost knee-length and not now when it’s shorter. I found that the longer it got, the easier it was to move it out of the way like have it hang off of the side of the bed, and it would just stay there.

ReadingRenee
July 4th, 2023, 08:56 PM
BTW I'd say no buns or ponies if you have fine hair. When you're sleeping you're not gonna be as careful w it, and you know those nape hairs love breakage. Even if it's loose or on the very top of your head I'm not into it and will not recommend to anyone for daily(nightly?) use.
Yes I fully agree! I learned this the hard way when I first joined LHC many years ago. I got a ton of breakage from wearing my hair in a bun to sleep.
My hair is close to MBL and I wear it in a braid to sleep. I also have a satin pillowcase. I get hot if I sleep with it down and I like having it contained. I usually start braiding it at night when it gets a few inches past APL.

tuanyiji
July 5th, 2023, 03:53 AM
I prefer to wear a loose braid and then put on a silk bonnet to sleep at night. At noon I might keep my bun (preferably a high lazy wrap bun that will allow me to lay flat) and wear my bonnet for a nap.

embee
July 5th, 2023, 05:39 AM
I started putting my hair up for sleep when it began to get in the way of my turning over during the night. That would disturb my sleep. I do not wear a nightcap at all ever, unless in mid winter when it's very cold and I wear a wooly hat to bed to keep my ears warm. ;) In summer I'm thinking a nightcap would make my sleep hotter, and it's warm enough in here already - no AC.

baanoo
July 5th, 2023, 05:56 AM
Up until about waist I slept with it loose; now I sleep in a bonnet - I make a loose very high nautilus without any pins, put on the bonnet, and then shake it out so it’s free inside (I can’t get my hair in otherwise!). It’s made my morning tangles nonexistent!

I don’t remember who said that an unexpected perk of sleeping with a bonnet is the bonus built in eyeshade option but I would 100% like to second that. ;)

tuanyiji
July 5th, 2023, 06:02 AM
Up until about waist I slept with it loose; now I sleep in a bonnet - I make a loose very high nautilus without any pins, put on the bonnet, and then shake it out so it’s free inside (I can’t get my hair in otherwise!). It’s made my morning tangles nonexistent!

I don’t remember who said that an unexpected perk of sleeping with a bonnet is the bonus built in eyeshade option but I would 100% like to second that. ;)

That might be me, lol, I once said in the Random thread that my bonnet acts as an eyepatch too so I use it to cover my eyes when the light is too blind outside.

I wear a silk bonnet 365 day of the year, in winter it acts as an extra layer to keep me warm, and I am so prone to cold after covid, in summer it actually helps relieve the sweating situation, I don’t know why but my silk pillowcase definitely doesn’t stain as much when I wear a bonnet.

mallorykay13
March 25th, 2024, 01:55 PM
I've been wearing a silk sleep bonnet with stretchy ties and a long snood style back. I keep either taking it off or its falling off in my sleep, no matter how tight I tie it. Any advice?

evernia
March 25th, 2024, 03:03 PM
i wore my hair up in a "pineapple" (ponytail on top of head) since it was long enough to make one, i get tangles really easily and can't stand hair in my face when i'm sleeping. a year ago i started putting it into a braid on some nights as well. what has been a challenge was finding a way to end the braid in a way that's nice to the hair without it sliding off...

will probably bite the bullet soon and replace our cotton pillowcases with satin/silk and see if it does anything

foreveryours
March 25th, 2024, 03:39 PM
I’ve never slept with my hair up, not when it was almost knee-length and not now when it’s shorter. I found that the longer it got, the easier it was to move it out of the way like have it hang off of the side of the bed, and it would just stay there.

Yep. Getting fancy ain't needed

Liria
March 25th, 2024, 09:16 PM
I sleep with my hair in two braids just about every night, and have since about APL. It was an absolute game changer when I discovered that the only braids I could do at the time were comfortable for sleeping, and that I could wake up and have nice-ish hair.

I probably should invest in a silk bonnet or pillowcase, but am am a very wiggly sleeper so I don't trust that the bonnet would stay on (or that my head would stay on the pillow). In terms of tying off braids I definitely wake up semi regularly without my hair ties. I sometimes use ribbins, but those can come untied as well.

I greatly admire those of you who can just . . . not move your heads during the night. It sounds so convenient.

Wingspan
March 29th, 2024, 05:14 AM
I slept with it down until waist length and would prefer to do so, but I keep getting tangled in it when I turn around.. So I have started to make a single braid on most nights. I secure it with a soft scrunch. I've been thinking about silk pillow cases, but I wonder if I would hate the slippery feeling. I can't imagine wearing a bonnet to bed and it staying put.
A few times I have worn a bun on top of my head too and it's okay as well.

If I'm super tired and go to bed so that I fall asleep quickly and sleep tightly my hair down doesn't bother me that much :D

LongHairFaerie
March 30th, 2024, 10:55 AM
I usually braid my hair before bed so that it's more contained, but a few nights ago, I was just too tuckered out and collapsed right into bed.

I woke up the next morning with my hair literally wrapped around me. I had clearly turned over several times, and my hair followed suit.

angel-baby
March 30th, 2024, 08:31 PM
I braid my hair or wear it in the satin sleeper from MoonstoneSeven (kinda like a bonnet, but it helps my waves keep their shape better). I’ve been doing this since my hair was APL and it’s BSL now.