PDA

View Full Version : When to take a baby for their first haircut?

Spinder
May 29th, 2023, 01:25 AM
It's a little uneven yes, which is the main source of criticism at this point, but come on, he's barely a year old.

"Oh he looks like he needs a haircut!" No, he doesn't. Stop it already. :(

When he was born, it was sort of a medium brown, like my own. Then most of it fell out, and for a while he was very bald. Then it started growing back MUCH lighter than it was at birth.

It's a darker and thicker around the sides than the the top... Overall, though, I think he looks perfect just the way he is. I don't want his hair cut yet.

Or maybe I'm just not ready for that first big step as of yet (first haircut feels like a HUGE step to me) and I'm just trying to delay it. I'm not sure at all.

https://i.ibb.co/zN7nZCY/FB-IMG-1683460661527-2.jpg

giraff
May 29th, 2023, 03:14 AM
I'm not a parent, nor do I have small children in my life at the moment, so maybe I should stay quiet. But I agree with you! It doesn't look matted, tangled, or unkempt to me from that picture, so what's the rush? :confused: Wouldn't it be more scary than useful for him at this point? And does he have an important event coming up? lol. If he's a ring bearer in a wedding this summer, then maybe, but otherwise I'd wait until Christmas :whistle:

Ylva
May 29th, 2023, 05:43 AM
Looks great! If the only proper reasoning for the cut is that his hair is, for whatever stupid reason, making some people uncomfortable, then I say let it be. People need to learn to deal with feeling uncomfortable with things and reflect on why they feel that way since it doesn't actually concern them.

embee
May 29th, 2023, 06:46 AM
I've had two kids, and I do not think he looks like he needs a haircut, gee whiz. Some people need to get a life.... If *you* think there are long pieces in back that could benefit from being shorter, then take the little nail scissors (the ones with the ball on the ends of the blades) and cut back those few strands.

SandyBottom
May 29th, 2023, 06:56 AM
He's your child, your choice what's best for him. There will always be people telling you what you "should" do, and they won't all agree. I too think his hair looks perfect just as it is. I see no need to hurry.

rosenester
May 29th, 2023, 07:58 AM
His hair is so cute! I have no children of my own, but am around young children a lot. I say, baby needs a cut when parent/s are ready. Usually when it gets tangled or is difficult, is getting in their eyes, etc. Some families follow a tradition of shaving the hair off at a certain birthday, but if you don’t and don’t want to cut it, wait as long as you want! I know several boys who got their first haircut at 3 years old when it started getting in the way. Don’t let anyone rush you!
:blossom:

AmaryllisRed
May 29th, 2023, 08:04 AM
He's your child, your choice what's best for him. There will always be people telling you what you "should" do, and they won't all agree. I too think his hair looks perfect just as it is. I see no need to hurry.

This is what I was going to say. Don't worry about what other people say you should do. Cut it when YOU want to. I think I had my boys' first haircuts when they were around a year old, just to keep it out of their eyes. Unfortunately every time they get their hair cut, they look older. :wail:

lapushka
May 29th, 2023, 08:18 AM
Haircut, the little kiddo barely has hair! My grandma did take a "lock" of hair off of my dad when he was 1, but his hair was long enough to do so.

It can wait. Honestly. I would throw the criticism right back to them. But that's what I'm like (and why I struggle with my dad so much, I answer back LOL)!

Kat
May 29th, 2023, 11:05 AM
Whenever you want. He's a baby. He doesn't need to cut it to get a job, or because he's going to a fancy event, or because he likes it shorter or wants a new style, or because women like it better. There's literally no reason a baby "needs" a haircut, lol. Some people. :rolleyes:

sarana
May 29th, 2023, 03:52 PM
I feel like there's nothing to add, but apparently commenting anyway. There's no need to cut the baby's hair, if you don't want to. The only time it should be cut is when you want to shape it or it becomes a nuisance for you or the baby, which could be years from now.

Salice
June 11th, 2023, 03:42 AM
Do what feels right for you. My girl had her first haircut when she was 1,5 years old, just because I was annoyed how the hair grew without any shape. After the cute bob, the hair grew so much nicer. Some of my friends cut their kid's hair, but I was too nervous with an active toddler. You have to trust that you know what is best for your child and family.. :)

spidermom
June 11th, 2023, 11:25 AM
I think the ideal time for the first haircut is when the child wants a haircut or it's become a pain for the parent to deal with for whatever reason.

When my son was around a year old, he had a strand behind each ear that was noticeably longer than the rest. It wasn't a pain to deal with, but I thought it looked weird, so I snipped those 2 strands off and put them into his baby memory book. I can't remember when he had his first real haircut.

ArienEllariel
June 11th, 2023, 09:06 PM
I don't see why he needs a haircut. He's barely got any hair yet! I'm more on the practical side of things. If it's getting matted, tangled or in his face and no other methods of dealing with it work, sure, trim it a little. Otherwise I say let it be.

AspenSong
June 14th, 2023, 12:22 PM
My daughter is 21 months, and I've given her bangs myself but no haircut. My plan is to just hold off and let her become a crazy long hair. Lol. Unless she gets big enough she wants it short or continues refusing to have it put up.

Sarahlabyrinth
June 14th, 2023, 02:44 PM
Couldn't you just do it yourself when you feel it's needed?