PDA

View Full Version : Trims?

xxjlgxx
May 27th, 2023, 02:51 PM
Are trims recommended? I’ve had waist length hair before and I got there quicker without trims but it was very unhealthy.
My hair is naturally curly, dry and thick and extremely prone to tangles and knots!
My hair currently sits just on my shoulders and my goal is longer than waist length but not quite tail bone.
I didn’t know whether trims just make you lose your progress? I never dye my hair or use heat so it’s otherwise completely healthy xx

Shorty89
May 27th, 2023, 05:17 PM
I think that really individual. As long as you're trimming less than you grow, your hair will get longer. Lately, I've been trimming every month because I have some damage. I cut about 1cm per month. But, I'm mostly maintaining not actively growing right now. Some people are doing a no-trim challenge (for six months to a year). I think most of those people do a larger trim before starting the challenge.

giraff
May 28th, 2023, 02:11 AM
Personally, I benefit a lot from yearly trims. Trimming doesn't make the hair grow faster, and it's true that you loose some progress. But in the end, if you get to your goal and half your length is damaged, will you feel satisfied? A yearly trim allows me to get a check in with a professional who can assess the state of my hair and give recommendations as to what my hair might need. I find that really useful! Of course, not every hair dresser is an expert on long hair, but I usually have a better idea of what to focus on at home!

However, I think good communication with the stylist is alfa omega. Far from every customer they cut have the same aspirations as us. Tell them that you're growing out hair, ask them how much they think will be necessary to cut. Tell them exactly what you want, because they're not mind readers. And be open to the idea that you might have to cut more than half an inch to achieve a healthy look!

I also try to look them up on instagram before I decide where to cut my hair. As I don't have a regular one. They usually have examples up of their work on a professional account.

Or you can just trim yourself :)

Dark40
May 28th, 2023, 03:22 PM
I agree with giraff. I'm on the, "No Trim Challenge," on here, and I've always felt that a yearly small trim. Like 1cm trimmed off. Or, not even that much. I would say just the tips of your ends like a small dusting. That's what suits me just perfectly.

MusicalSpoons
May 28th, 2023, 05:44 PM
Occasional trims are necessary if you want to keep your hemline fairly even. Otherwise, it totally depends on your hair and how you treat it. No chemical processing or heat styling should mean you can go longer without trims than if you did those things. If you wear it down you might need trims more often than if you protect the ends. But generally, just go with what your hair needs for you to meet your goals. And a trim can be tiny, especially if it's just for keeping the hemline even rather than needing to cut off damage.

Since growing I've trimmed sporadically - some years it's been a couple of times, some years it's been annually, sometimes it's been less than that. The average of all that is probably once a year, but I've focused on gaining length rather than worrying about cutting off pre-LHC neglect. I wear it bunned all the time and treat it as gently and nourishingly as feasibly fits into my circumstances, so the main damage now is just age and former neglect coming out. I'm also nearing terminal length so my hemline is nonexistent anyway :lol: if I wanted nice hair I felt proud of wearing down, I'd have had to trim probably at least every six months (and maintain way before even knee length, I think).

xxjlgxx
May 29th, 2023, 02:07 PM
Thank you guys I defo don’t need to trim anytime soon anyway