PDA

View Full Version : Headscarves?

Melein
March 23rd, 2008, 12:59 PM
With the recent bad weather and strong winds round here, I've taken to covering my hair when I go out. I prefer the look of a scarf to updos (which tend to make my face look even rounder and chubbier than usual ;)) and my hair too is quite grateful for it - far less tangles to sort out later on.

I've also found that the more I try to take care of my hair, the less comfortable I feel with leaving it down in public. I'm not quite sure why.

So - anyone else wear scarves or head coverings? Anyone have any sites with pretty ones to recommend? And for anyone who *doesn't* cover for religious reasons, how do you explain it? I'm never quite sure what to say without sounding too hair-obsessed or odd.

anna1850
March 23rd, 2008, 01:06 PM
I don't wear them myself as they don't suit me and make look old and the one time I had to wear one on a school trip to a Russian orthodox church people started teasing me that I looked so Russian! But anyway have you seen this site?
http://www.tznius.com/cgi-bin/tying.pl
it's got lots of different ways to tie them, it might be useful :)

Lilla My
March 23rd, 2008, 01:31 PM
I'd like to wear scarves too, just as a change from my woolly hat (it's ever so stylish!) Hmmm ... those scarves look really nice but shipping from US is expensive. Anyone know of any similar UK sites?
Edited to add: I wouldn't have thought anyone would ask you to explain it Melein? If anyone was rude enough to ask I'd just say I wanted to keep my hair tidy, keep it simple ... :)

LilyMunster
March 23rd, 2008, 02:24 PM
I have a small collection of scarves. I don't use them because, um well, I tend to get dressed as fast as a fireman and get on the road.
I do cover my hair very close to daily, I use a Buff. Mandatory in my hair stash.
There is a link, someone smarter can hook you up for a look see.
Basically, it is a seamless tube made of t-shirt material. 9 inch by 20 inch about. Can be worn as a headband, scarf, beanie and more.
When I'm not wearing it on my head, I wrap it double around my wrist. Just to keep it handy.

kimki
March 23rd, 2008, 02:31 PM
I have a small collection of scarves. I don't use them because, um well, I tend to get dressed as fast as a fireman and get on the road.
I do cover my hair very close to daily, I use a Buff. Mandatory in my hair stash.
There is a link, someone smarter can hook you up for a look see.
Basically, it is a seamless tube made of t-shirt material. 9 inch by 20 inch about. Can be worn as a headband, scarf, beanie and more.
When I'm not wearing it on my head, I wrap it double around my wrist. Just to keep it handy.

I have to say first of all...I'm not saying I'm smartererer than you :D But here's a link to their UK site...http://www.buffwear.co.uk/ I only have that because I was just about to order another one. :o They are really useful.

truepeacenik
March 23rd, 2008, 02:42 PM
I wear a headscarf erratically (not a must in my community) for religious reasons, but I don't want to advertise that in real life.

I say it is to block sun from my scalp.
Skin cancer sucks. I have had a bunch of spots removed and I do NOT want to go through the healing on my scalp if I can avoid it.

peachy.pudding
March 23rd, 2008, 03:30 PM
I dont use them because they look muslin, i am sure there is a way round this like using a bonnet, however i find a simple headband, hood or wool hat has the same affect

truepeacenik
March 23rd, 2008, 03:41 PM
if you wore silk, I doubt it'd look like muslin.

now, pinning in the front could look Muslim.... :doh:

I've never cared what others took me for, except for the creepy guys on the bus. They take me for interested. I'm not.

khyricat
March 23rd, 2008, 04:10 PM
I have been known to wear one, I grew up in the orthodox jewish community.. now most women use wigs, but a scarf is also good.. or a cloth snood.. and I have a ton of those too.. I love tznius' site, but actually normallyy just buy fabric and hem it myself.. though I've thought about buuying several from there.. to be honest- as a skin cancer survivor, I wear a sun hat with a wide brim in summer.. and am not outdoors in the sun that much in winter. my hats are part of why I don't like to have forks that show too much, because then I have to take them out to put on a hat.

nowxisxforever
March 23rd, 2008, 04:25 PM
I have a cute scarf that I work into updos sometimes, it's black with hearts- but I don't full-on cover, I use it mostly as an accent piece.

I do want to wear headscarves and things as I love the look of them- prayer bonnets even - and I'm agnostic, not religious at all. I think my boy might look at me special if I did, though. He wears a top-hat so perhaps it wouldn't be so silly looking if we were together outside? I have a black wool bonnet but it slips off and doesn't fit with any of my clothing. :X

kimki
March 23rd, 2008, 04:31 PM
if you wore silk, I doubt it'd look like muslin.

now, pinning in the front could look Muslim.... :doh:

I've never cared what others took me for, except for the creepy guys on the bus. They take me for interested. I'm not.

This made me laugh loudly!! :D I hate the creepy bus guys!

Patrycja
March 23rd, 2008, 06:41 PM
I have quite the collection of bandanas that I use when its windy and I'm working in the yard.I also use one when I work around the house so I don't get my hair in cleaning solutions.

intothemist1999
March 23rd, 2008, 09:11 PM
I don't wear them myself as they don't suit me and make look old and the one time I had to wear one on a school trip to a Russian orthodox church people started teasing me that I looked so Russian!

heheheh I SOOO wish our scanner worked! There's a pic of me around 1-1/2 with my Ukrainian baba looking over my shoulder...we both have on a babooshka :) And oh, you should see the HAIR sticking out on that! I look like a wildchild!

Anyway, I took to wearing headscarves (again) this winter. I used to wear them alot around 20 years ago. They are so quick 'n easy and verstatile (and I get to use all those scarves I've collected over the years that sat in a drawer for the longest time!)

Mainly I was having a problem with my ears getting so cold. The scarf was perfect...light enough and it didn't do bad things to my hair like squashing it, yet it protected my ears. Sometimes I'd improvise and twirl the scarf into a long piece and wrap it around my head, covering the ears.

Don't forget, the Hollywood stars in the 40's to 60's (?) often wore headscarves and those wonderful, big incognito sunglasses! They even wore scarves when wearing bathing suits! I don't think the scarves aged them. I always thought that look was very glam!

intothemist1999
March 23rd, 2008, 09:14 PM
I do want to wear headscarves and things as I love the look of them- prayer bonnets even - and I'm agnostic, not religious at all. I think my boy might look at me special if I did, though. :X

On the old board there was a thread about a ladies' head covering, but I can't remember what it was called...it was like a lace veil that hung down the sides and back. I'm not sure who wears them exactly, but I believe they are worn to church.

Although it wouldn't suit me, I always thought they were beautiful, and beautifully feminine.

Alba-NY
March 23rd, 2008, 09:26 PM
ah! I was going to post photos of my newest scarves in my journal recently, but haven't taken the photos yet. (Well actually I have photo wearing the one, but not uploaded...)

I wear scarves so often. Sometimes almost every day, but then not as much. It depends, and I don't really know why. I tell people I feel prettiest that way. I guess I sort of do. Also I feel comfortable because it keeps NYC grime out of my hair especially when it is windy, ugh!

I wear them in so many styles too. I always say that one day I'll post tutorials in my journal, but it never happened yet because I need someone around ot take photos as I tie. I wear them in the 50's style the last few days, wrapped around the neck and tied in back. That is new for me. Sometimes I do it in a hijab style, but only when I feel brave and it is rainy so I have a reason or am not near friends. My favourite is with an oblong that ends up wrapped around without any trailing ends, but it has been taking longer so I don't wear it as much now though it is the most comfortable. I guess my normal style is "gypsy."

Now I am loving Turkish scarves although they are rather expensive to get a few of. Here are links to the two I just bought recently so you can see the vendor.
rose edged scarf (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=180218811103&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=008)
floral scarf (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=180204751354&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=008)

kissedbyfyre
March 23rd, 2008, 10:52 PM
I do, quite often actually. I've found if done with the right outfit it gives me a very neat, gypsy/bohemian look that I quite adore. :) Some do mistake me for a religious individual but I don't let that phase me and just say I have greasy roots.

I'm the same though, I do NOT feel ok with my hair down and exposed in public. I really hope that doesn't sound silly but the state of my hair is an easy measure of how comfy I feel. If I'm not feeling ok and it's down, and theres no way of putting it up, I'll either fixate over putting it up in my knotted buns, or I'll twist it up into a rope, pull it over my shoulder and hold onto it. If it's back in braid/s, then I'll pull them over my shoulders where I can keep an eye on them. I feel the best with a nice bun when the atmosphere and the people bother me for whatever reason.

blondecat
March 24th, 2008, 02:40 AM
I wear scarves quite often.

Pretty silk or chiffon homemade large squares.
Fold it in half, put on head, tie under chin, then tie the excess behind your head

[I love Audry Hepburn :)]

anna1850
March 24th, 2008, 04:23 AM
On the old board there was a thread about a ladies' head covering, but I can't remember what it was called...it was like a lace veil that hung down the sides and back. I'm not sure who wears them exactly, but I believe they are worn to church.

Although it wouldn't suit me, I always thought they were beautiful, and beautifully feminine.

I think you mean a 'mantilla' which are generally worn by Spanish catholics
http://www.headcoverings-by-devorah.com/BlackSatStitchLaceVeniseTrimmedShawlMantilla.jpg

They make me think of a veil more than a regular headscarve. I think I'd try one if they sold them near me but not in white as that make you look like a bride.

Sarahmoon
March 24th, 2008, 04:40 AM
it's got lots of different ways to tie them, it might be useful

I don't really dare to wear a scarf like that because a lot of muslimas wear one like that. I'm affraid they might be offended by someone wearing a scarf like them but not being muslima, or something :shrug:

quidscribis
March 24th, 2008, 05:11 AM
I highly doubt the Muslims would be offended by a non-Muslim wearing a headscarf. They might wonder why the headscarf, but that's about it. This, from a woman who's married to a Muslim, living in a Muslim household, with all the husband's entire family and beyond being Muslim. The Muslim women might also applaud the effort at modesty and show you more respect. Culturally, in this region, the more covered a woman is, the more respect she gets.

Muslims also aren't the only people who cover their hair. Orthodox Jewish women who are married cover their hair (with snoods or a wig, usually, from what I'm told by Orthodox Jewish women) except for their husband. More orthodox sects of Mennonites wear hair scarves, sometimes covering just a bun in the back, sometimes covering more than that (the Mennonites I know usually wear a black head covering). In this part of the world, many Hindus, Buddhists, or other religious people used to cover their hair, and probably many in the villages still do. It was more for cultural reasons - modesty being generally more valued here than in the west - from what I understand.

eadwine
March 24th, 2008, 05:24 AM
This makes me think.. how do they feel about updos? I was wondering about that yesterday. I mean.. it is different than hanging loose. Can you enlighten me on that? :)

quidscribis
March 24th, 2008, 05:40 AM
Are you referring to Muslim women? If so... And I'm talking about my experience with Muslim women in this region since this is what I'm familiar with. :)

First things first. Not all Muslim women cover their hair. Some don't cover their hair at all, some cover it with a loose scarf. Others cover it so only their face is showing. Some cover only in certain circumstances, ie a family wedding where there's a lot of scrutiny or when a relatively orthodox Muslim is around.

As for updos - it varies. Some do pony tails, some braid, some do buns, or half-up-dos, or leave it completely loose, or tie some back with a barette or hair clip... It varies hugely. Hugely. Most have long hair, but that's a cultural thing since the vast majority of women here have long hair. Very rarely is hair shorter than shoulder length, but again, that's cultural.

Even if they cover they're hair, they'll still do buns or other up-dos or wear their hair however they want. It's really no problem at all covering hair that's in an up-do. I've seen plenty of Muslim women covering their hair in one way or another who have bumps on the back of their head where a bun is.

eadwine
March 24th, 2008, 05:56 AM
Yeah, I was referring to them. More in the sense of.. is an updo (without the covering) more accepted than loose?

Over here I see various hair do's as well, being a multicultural country :) I was just suddenly wondering about that which I mentioned above :)

quidscribis
March 24th, 2008, 06:08 AM
Among those who cover their hair, an up-do will not take the place of a head scarf. The two are not interchangeable. :) Does that answer that?

khyricat
March 24th, 2008, 06:49 AM
btw- Tznius is a site that supplies things to orthodox jewish women, and has a section about different ways to tie them.. none of them look like the traditional muslin form:

there are several great ideas there that can be used both to cover long hair and to hide a lack of hair (cancer patients, etc..)

eadwine
March 24th, 2008, 06:53 AM
Among those who cover their hair, an up-do will not take the place of a head scarf. The two are not interchangeable. :) Does that answer that?

Yes, thank you! :)

Katze
March 24th, 2008, 06:57 AM
I've been getting into this recently especially since it's so COLD here (snow falling as I write this...).

Originally I was really excited to get two nice looking Buffs and use them as headbands/hair scarves but they ALWAYS fall off, even with bobby pins. Something about the stretchy material, my huge head, I don't know, but I am severely disappointed with Buff! I thought they would work for sports, but just the normal head-turning of bike riding makes them fall off. Very frustrating!

Plain, cheap, cotton "kerchiefs" - the kind that many women here wear around their neck, summer or winter, to protect their necks from drafts ("Zug") work much better. I just make the triangle bigger than half the scarf, then tie in front. I have not developed an elegant or really pretty way to wear them - I'd love to look like the African women I see, but end up looking more like a Russian grandmother - but for trips to the store with wet hair, sitting around after washing hair, etc. they are OK.

We do Viking reenactment and technically a woman of my age should have a headscarf, but I have yet to find a way to tie an authentic piece of fabric (wool or linen) on my head in a way that suits me. Going to work on this and see if I can find an alternative.

I find non religious head coverings attractive and funky-artsy looking in a nice way, and would love to learn some ways to do it that accentuate my better features and don't draw attention to my flaws. But I have not found that yet.

seabear
March 24th, 2008, 07:17 AM
Interesting that some avoid a headscarf so as not to appear muslima....

I use a headscarf all the time in windy or cold weather. Keeps my head warm and my hairdo intact. I suppose it can look a little bit gypsy or old-lady-ish, depending on the rest of my attire. It depends on the scarf, too... I have some scarves that are definitely old-lady-dowdy, and some that are Grace-Kelly-stylish. They all work well for the purpose, though. It's a no-brainer, as far as I am concerned.

vindo
March 24th, 2008, 07:31 AM
I like headscarfs but I rarely get the chance to wear them.

They are definetly useful if you spend a lot of time outdoors. So headscarf occasions for me were being at the horse ranch (windy), beach (windy & sunny) and then medieval fairs where you sometimes dont get to shower for days and it covers your greasy hair a little ;)

If its really cold or it snows or rains I tend to cover my head with my regular scarf, its very cozy. People often think its for an ethnic reason but I dont care.

There is not many scarfs that work well as a headscarf, I like the thin silky soft ones...anything else looks to bulky on my little head ^^.

tiny_teesha
March 24th, 2008, 08:16 AM
i want to start wearing them but i know i will be probed when i am out. I want to make some, i'll start off small and then get to the full blown scarf. I think it looks very sophisticated if it is like the old hollywood style!

intothemist1999
March 24th, 2008, 08:19 AM
Originally I was really excited to get two nice looking Buffs and use them as headbands/hair scarves but they ALWAYS fall off, even with bobby pins. Something about the stretchy material, my huge head, I don't know.

Eeks! Thanks for the warning! I've been thinking about ordering a couple, but stretchy headbands don't stay on me either, on account of my BIG head!! :D

intothemist1999
March 24th, 2008, 08:23 AM
Interesting that some avoid a headscarf so as not to appear muslima....

True, I would never have thought of that, even in a multicultural place like Vancouver.

I thought all I need is a trench coat and a pair of gumboots and I would look like Queen E :D

Magdalene
March 24th, 2008, 08:34 AM
Does anyone have a trick to keeping the silky ones on their head (other than tying under the chin). I have so many beautiful ones and they all fall off!

btw- I wear headscarves frequently- mantillas or long scarves to church (Orthodox Christian) and often wear large scarves to cover my hair when I'm feeling incognito (or want to hide my dirty hair lol)

Beesweet
March 24th, 2008, 09:41 AM
I wear them almost daily....different ones for different reasons. It helps when growing out my hair, but when I think about it, I have worn them for some years now. I used bandanas for daily wear, although my new favorite long headband is more versatile than a bandana: http://www.tznius.com/cgi-bin/product.pl?productid=340

These are AMAZING and my daughter and I wear them often. Good for my girl, who is multiracial, with type 4 hair who wants to "let it all hang out" when at home. It keeps it from tangling and looks beautiful on her. Bright, modern colors.
Another bonus is you can wear it "short" almost like a short bandana, by folding over the front or back, or pull the long cotton down in the back and it covers more hair.

I also have a cotton snood from the same site, which is a little tight on me, but generally works great to cover all the hair in the back. Good for sun, yard work, dusty work, painting, and other work where I want the back hair to be covered. I was thinking of making some with a modified, more hip pattern, but then I saw the Buff link and think I will make some of those, instead. I'll try to buy one first, then copy if I can. They are pricey.

I have tried some other Tznius styles and I look a little too gypsy, and they don't really work for me. Plus slippery fabric falls off.

Last, the babushka/50's starlet thing does work. I know this because I drive a classic car with no air conditioning in a tropical climate! Windows down are a must and wind is not a friend to my hair. A few pins behind ears and two up top, and you are good to go. Works best with big sunglasses. I look a little frumpy without. For use in car only. Also keeps an updo in place.

Patrycja
March 24th, 2008, 09:44 AM
I think you mean a 'mantilla' which are generally worn by Spanish catholics
http://www.headcoverings-by-devorah.com/BlackSatStitchLaceVeniseTrimmedShawlMantilla.jpg

They make me think of a veil more than a regular headscarve. I think I'd try one if they sold them near me but not in white as that make you look like a bride.

I wanted one of those for my wedding so bad last year but didn't get one :( I'm not spanish but I am Catholic and I thought that would have been a great quiet addition to the nondemontional ceremony.

Beesweet
March 24th, 2008, 09:49 AM
Forgot:
for keeping things from slipping off, Magdaline, try these links:

http://www.prayercoverings.com/catalog.php?category=5

http://www.christiancoverings.com/catalog.html?category=12

http://plainlydressed.bravepages.com/headcoveringfile.html

the ones on Plainly Dressed are so pretty. Even the bun covers. A lot of pictures of women wearing them, so you can look for pin placement options. Plus they have some big ole' Amish hair pins at the bottom. I don't even know how to use those.......

Mary <><
March 24th, 2008, 09:54 AM
I wear a head covering for religious reasons (Anabaptist/Mennonite), but I only wear them for religious reasons. I generally do not cover my head when I am just out and about. When I do cover my head, it depends on where I am going as to the style I wear. I have crocheted a few kercheifs, but generally I wear a chiffon or silk square neck scarf folded from corner to corner and tied under the back of my hair. Magdalene -- I usually just bobby pin them down with a bobby pin in the color of the scarf. Here is a link to a site that lists several modest dress websites, most of which make/sell head coverings.

http://www.stanosheck.com/Modesty.html

Anje
March 24th, 2008, 10:30 AM
I'd like to wear scarves, but they tend to make me look like I'm having chemo when I try. Just not a look I can pull off.

Islandgrrl
March 24th, 2008, 10:49 AM
I wear a headscarf erratically (not a must in my community) for religious reasons, but I don't want to advertise that in real life.

I say it is to block sun from my scalp.
Skin cancer sucks. I have had a bunch of spots removed and I do NOT want to go through the healing on my scalp if I can avoid it.

Okay, I had to respond to this. I cover my head for religious reasons as well (not 100% of the time - depends on the setting/situation, even though I should technically cover my head 100% of the time).

And I use the same excuse because people ALWAYS comment. "Bad hair day" also works :)

Anlbe
March 24th, 2008, 11:12 AM
I wear hats and headscarfs quite alot. It started because I'm very uncomfortable in direct sunlight and burn rather easily. Now I like the way they look and feel like I've forgotten an item of clothing if I go out without one. When people ask me why I tell them wearing a hat or scarf is a bit like having a built in umbrella/parasol with built in insulation and that I like the way they look. They are also fantastic for not wanting so make eye contact with people without seeming rude, but I don't tend to mention that!

As it happens I am religious and do wear them in church but largely because I think it would be rather silly to take them off as I'm entering the church. Sometimes I feel a bit bad because people might think it springs from modesty or obedience to my church's traditions, but those who know me are aware of the score so I leave it at that. The only adaption I make is swapping my summer hats for scarves when I go into church as they do NOT mix well with lots of candles and venerating icons!

I tend to wear scarfs draped around the front or tied underneath the back of hair. For those who find they slip off sewing clip or velvet ribbon into the underside at the front stops scarves slipping off.
Also the old fashioned way to wear mantilla's (up to nineteenth century) was to put it over your head like a veil (it was square not triangular), secure it with a comb into your updo and then fold back the front veil portion back when you wanted to. Very secure and they don't slip about.

I am aware that sometimes people think I come from other cultural backgrounds because of my clothing choices, but in the end I decided it would be wrong to change and the very minor abuse I get on such occasions does me no harm and that it would be wrong of me to dislike being mistaken for a Muslim or gypsy.

Xanthippe
March 24th, 2008, 12:18 PM
I sometimes wear bandannas or scarves tied around my hair. It is also good for controlling fringe that is growing out too. Or when my hair is overdue for a wash.

I don't really understand all the fuss about appearing Muslim or some other ethnicity? I mean, if someone wore something related to my culture, I would assume it was because they were of my culture too or that they liked my culture. I would be the opposite of offended. One of my Muslim friends lent me one of her headscarves to wear once because I thought it was pretty and she definitely knew I wasn't Muslim too.

I hope someone comes along with a suggestion for slippery scarves too, I would wear them more often if I didn't have to keep readjusting them.

Alba-NY
March 24th, 2008, 01:17 PM
I use two straight pins (for sewing) to keep the scarves on my head. It has failed me only once. First I use snap clips to pull back each side of the the front of my hair. Then after the scarf is on the pins will be anchored in front of those.

I just made a pos (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?b=2563)t in my journal with all sorts of photos of my scarf styles.

It doesn't bother me that people mistake me for being foreign, devoutly Muslim, or Mennonite. (People very often ask me if I am.) I have many conflicting beliefs and ideas, and in the end this is how I dress and I don't know why. It works for me, and I feel the only confusion that matters is my own sometimes :shrug:

khyricat
March 24th, 2008, 01:30 PM
I am Jewish, and I cover my head with at least a kippah during services, but otherwise I only cover when its a bad hair day or I want the sun protection.

I hadn't seen those long headband things.. hrm.. I use a scarf, and even a silky one stays up with just a kippah clip or 2 in front, or a braid underneath.. if tied right.. on the other hand, anything with elastic/stretch never stays on me.. I have had to make snap/button clasp snoods for myself because of it.. I have a small head and everything for kids is too small, and for adults is too big.

On the other hand, I also use a scarf/hat in the sun for a reason I had almost forgotten about- I have dark hair, it gets HOT.. I mean my hair does! and not for me, but to touch! if its not covered..

Amie

Alba-NY
March 24th, 2008, 01:37 PM
I don't really understand all the fuss about appearing Muslim or some other ethnicity? I mean, if someone wore something related to my culture, I would assume it was because they were of my culture too or that they liked my culture. I would be the opposite of offended.

Last week Mum and I went to a grogery store here that I'd not been to before. I wore my newest Turkish scarf with the crochet work edging (and my standard long skirt etc.) At the checkout the cashier and several men who turned out to be her family members started chattering away excitedly in another language. After a bit one guy asked me about my scarf. It turned out they were from Turkey and were really pleased to see it. :D

truepeacenik
March 24th, 2008, 06:40 PM
I get great treatment from Muslims and Sikhs because I have a scarf that is obviously not fashion.

I have also helped heal a rift between Muslims and Jews. I heard a waiter who I'd spent time chatting with for English comprehension just going off about Zionists and Jews and it was laced with painful words.

I approached him (yay being a pushy North American), asked him if he personally knew any Jews and he said no.
I bowed slightly (the I don't shake hands gesture) and said, well, actually you do.
I told him my background and where I was spiritually and politically.
We had a great talk and the next time I was in, he shut down a discussion on the Middle East situation by saying, "you need to know people as people, not labels. A government is not a people."

masaala chai for world peace?
I told him his word for tea was the same as mine for life.

AmandaPanda
March 24th, 2008, 07:58 PM
I'm looking into getting something to cover my hair when I'm out in the yard
Thanks for the links!

Someone mentioned their scarf slipping...particularly silk ones. I this would be great to wear under a scarf to prevent it from slipping: http://www.modestworld.com/snood20.html

intothemist1999
March 24th, 2008, 08:09 PM
Someone mentioned their scarf slipping...particularly silk ones. I this would be great to wear under a scarf to prevent it from slipping: http://www.modestworld.com/snood20.html

Wow, I just LOVE the scarves on that site! I could spend a mint there!! :D

Anyone bought from them before?

Shell
March 25th, 2008, 09:31 AM
Forgot:
for keeping things from slipping off, Magdaline, try these links:

http://www.prayercoverings.com/catalog.php?category=5

http://www.christiancoverings.com/catalog.html?category=12

http://plainlydressed.bravepages.com/headcoveringfile.html

the ones on Plainly Dressed are so pretty. Even the bun covers. A lot of pictures of women wearing them, so you can look for pin placement options. Plus they have some big ole' Amish hair pins at the bottom. I don't even know how to use those.......

I published an article on how to use Amish pins/hairpins in the article section--it's not hard!

Stevy
March 25th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Wow, I just LOVE the scarves on that site! I could spend a mint there!! :D

Anyone bought from them before?

I've bought from Modest World and I'd recommend them without hesitation. They're great to deal with. They do have the occasional problem with things being out of stock, but that's the same with any small business.

Jerynns
March 25th, 2008, 10:03 AM
If you have bangs to leave out, it looks less like you're covering for religious reasons. I think I may start wearing scarves...tired of my twins trying to yank my hair out!!

angelthadiva
March 25th, 2008, 10:35 AM
Alba-NY: Thank you for linking your blog! Seeing actual action shots was very helpful to me...I love scarves, (have a ton of them) but only wear them occasionally...Mainly because of slippage.

Thank you too, for sharing your turkish scarf story!

I'm a believer, but that's not my reason for wearing scarfs. I like to wear them as protection or for fashion. My ethnicity is not easily identified, but I am often mistaken for being Italian or Anglo...So, I don't think I would be confused with other religious/ethnic sects because of my "regular dress" (which is conservative, but not to be confused w/modest)...LOL, plus I wear make up! I think I would just confuse people, and draw more attention than I'd care for.

I don't know if I saw it posted here, but I found a lovely site a few years ago that showed step, by step instructions for tying various styles of scarves...I think I have it bookmarked, I will check to see if I do, and if so--I'll update this post w/that link!

It looks like it was already linked...Great minds think alike! :D
How to tie a scarf (http://www.tznius.com/cgi-bin/tying.pl)

Celticfreefall
December 14th, 2008, 03:58 PM
I wear headscarves quite often. Usually in the orthodox jewish style (http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii175/cabbitt711/Everyday&#37;20Outfit%201/Picture062cut-1.jpg). Sometimes I just leave them down in one big triangle with the tails in front, too. They really are great for protecting hair. My hair always feels smooth and less frizzy after spending a day in a headscarf rather than being exposed to the elements. They're great for cold, too, especially since you can throw you still wet hair up in one and not have to worry about your hair freezing (below zero temps where I live). I've also experimented with traditional Christian kapps and bonnets, and I can't figure out which I like better. All are great for protecting hair.

tsc
December 14th, 2008, 07:10 PM
I usually wear a scarf/cover when I'm planning on being outdoors for a while, as I have a family history of skin cancer and very fair skin. No one really seems to notice except to compliment it, to be honest. I live in a pretty small town too.

Edit: I usually wear it like the picture Celticfreefall linked to.

Medievalhair
December 14th, 2008, 10:45 PM
I will a bandanna from time to time, and when I'm volenteering at the mill. I have tried to wear a headscarf but it just slipped off my head. I've been thinking about getting a buff or snood, but I'm not sure how well the would work with my small head and slippery hair.

WaimeaWahine
December 15th, 2008, 01:04 AM
Interesting thread!

I've been thinking about scarves to stave off
interest from creepy creeps and because I too
like to keep my hair close to me in public. (When
the public bus smells like urine... you want more
security before sitting down...)

Maybe a bandana for me although the idea of a
burka is something I'm still considering. :)

There was a gentleman in a store a few weeks
ago wearing a bowler hat so to each his own. I
know several Muslims who do seem to respect
you more if you tone everything down and
cover up.

Celticfreefall
December 15th, 2008, 10:30 PM
I forgot! I did a video tutorial if anyone needs a visual or has never wrapped before. It's split into two parts due to length since I don't have a Youtube pro account. The Hebrew word for headscarf is tichel, that's why it's used in the title.

Part One: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoiWVo0BSF0

Part Two: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6R3KfQKDcw

I have a couple tricks I show for keeping the scarf from slipping that I show in the video. Instead of bobby pins, you can use clippies instead. Another trick is to take a straight pin and insert it through the scarf and under your hair then back through the scarf on the crown of your hair to keep the topmost part from slipping. I also use cotton snoods underneath the scarf which is the best way to keep your scarf from slipping. The friction between the two layers keeps it put. My hair was much shorter at the time of filming, so, I don't need to use the scrunchie trick anymore. Most of my scarves are uploaded for viewing here (http://pupe.ameba.jp/closet/BkHw5F5XjWsh/#i10060_1), I have a ridiculous amount of them XD

Like another user mentioned, Modest World (http://www.modestworld.com/) is a great place to buy scarves and snoods. They're Jewish centered. Another shop I love is Shukr (http://www.shukronline.com), which is an Islamic clothing store with a modern twist. They have lovely high quality hijabs that can also be used tichel/Jewish style in wrapping. *cough* their clothes are great too *cough*Both ship internationally, but Shukr specifically has US and UK based webshops. Modest World has amazing customer service. They went out of stock with one item I had ordered once, and after they couldn't reach me through e-mail they picked out a same priced tichel in the same color that most of the scarves I ordered were and in a similar design, then included and extra one in case I didn't like it!

Hedera
December 16th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Oooh, thank you for that tutorial, Celticfreefall!

I don't wear a lot of headscarves in winter (lots of berets and hats though), but in summer I like to protect my hair from the sun as much as possible.

This will come in really handy! :)

speakyword
December 16th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Here's a link to a post I made a while ago on the lj long hair community http://community.livejournal.com/longhair/2502099.html

Also, Here's a couple of pictures of the do in action, as my webcam angles in the post don't really do the shape of it justice.

Mind my concentrating face, hah

http://i385.photobucket.com/albums/oo295/speakyword/scarf1.jpg

http://i385.photobucket.com/albums/oo295/speakyword/scarf2.jpg

VanillaTresses
December 16th, 2008, 07:45 PM
I always wear bandanas or scarves covering my entire hair when I am either (a) in the sun, (b) in the wind, (c) having a bad hair day, (d) doing gardening/yardwork, (e) cleaning with chemicals, or (e) painting- artwork or as in a wall. I love wearing this because it is SO practical and I very strongly dislike hair that is wind-tangled, sun-bleached, or that has paint, cleaning chemical, or dirt on it in any way! :) In fact, no matter where I am going I always pack at least one bandana or scarf just in case-- it is one of the most useful things to have around. Especially the bandanas, as they are so multiple use!

Celticfreefall
December 16th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Oooh, thank you for that tutorial, Celticfreefall!

I don't wear a lot of headscarves in winter (lots of berets and hats though), but in summer I like to protect my hair from the sun as much as possible.

This will come in really handy! :)

You're welcome!

katiana
December 16th, 2008, 09:02 PM
We usually wear headscarves to church...we are Russian Orthodox. We have a lot of the lace ones, but the ones that you all posted are gorgeous....I am thinking about getting some of those.

may1em
December 16th, 2008, 10:21 PM
I usually bun my hair and put a scarf over it on the (unfortunately rare) occasions when I ride my bike and don't want helmet head. I'll also put a scarf over my hair if it's cold out and my hair is still wet to keep it off my neck.

I have to be careful, though, as I'm of Eastern European descent and it's very easy to look like I just came in from herding chickens in the old country. So no scarves tied under the chin for me! I also have a big head, which anything too tight to the head emphasizes. (Clearly I'm not in this for modesty reasons, I'm just very practical.)

I would kind of like a satin scarf with a low bun pocket for bike riding, but there aren't any in the stores to modify this time of year. It's annoying to have the bun keep falling out. :P

Junior year of high school I wore a bandanna on my head to school almost every day - to the point where at the end of the year I got a paper plate award for "most comfortable in a kerchief." This was before I knew my hair was wavy and not unmanageable straight hair and also in the period where I kept it at least above shoulder. I decided I'd rather sleep in the morning than spend time with a blowdryer.

ecologystudent
December 18th, 2008, 09:45 PM
I'm not sure if this is close enough to be on topic, but I'll give it a go. It's very cold where I live now (lows down to 0 F), and my nose hurts, and the cold makes it hard to breathe when I'm outside. So, does anyone know how to tie a headscarf so that it covers your nose and mouth? I can kind of do it, but it's rather loose and funny looking. And it takes readjusting because it keeps closing in over my eyes. I'm asking about the headscarf specifically because that's I'll I've got right now.

wintersun99
December 18th, 2008, 09:53 PM
I'm not sure if this is close enough to be on topic, but I'll give it a go. It's very cold where I live now (lows down to 0 F), and my nose hurts, and the cold makes it hard to breathe when I'm outside. So, does anyone know how to tie a scarf so that it covers your nose and mouth? I can kind of do it, but it's rather loose and funny looking. And it takes readjusting because it keeps closing in over my eyes.

Well, just for fun.... :)

Worlds Best Photos (http://fiveprime.org/flickr_hvmnd.cgi?method=GET&sorting=Interestingness&photo_type=250&page=1&noform=t&search_domain=Tags&photo_number=50&sort=Interestingness&tag_mode=all&textinput=cold,scarf&search_type=Tags)

There are many pages, the page scroll is near the bottom

Magdalene
December 19th, 2008, 10:41 AM
We usually wear headscarves to church...we are Russian Orthodox. We have a lot of the lace ones, but the ones that you all posted are gorgeous....I am thinking about getting some of those.

:cheese: I'm Antiochian Orthodox. I like the lace ones, too. They stay on better!

Themyst
December 21st, 2008, 05:20 PM
Well, I'm just unorthadox but I ordered a couple of head scarves from modestworld.com anyway!

I can hardly wait to experiment with different looks. If I can pull the look off okay, how wonderful it will be for my bad hair days!:)

eaglefeather71
December 21st, 2008, 07:11 PM
I love to wear them and do every couple weeks just for fun. I love the bohemian (sp) look. It's become fun collecting them. I'm just still figuring out how to tie them and keep them from slipping. I love all the links, they're getting me excited to wear a scarf tomorrow...

Themyst
December 21st, 2008, 07:39 PM
Head scarves slip off me, too. Perhaps it is the shape of my head. I ordered a snood to wear underneath, I hope that will help to keep the scarf on.

I've never worn a fashionable scarf like this, other than around my neck. I've only worn bandanas and they're hard to keep on.

It will be interesting to see how quick I become frustrated at not being able to achieve the different looks I see on tznius.com.

eaglefeather71
January 1st, 2009, 09:43 AM
I bought a couple basic scarves at Walmart. Here's my first attempt:
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc104/ckatto71/HairFace014.jpg
It got pretty heavy after a while, but It was fun pretending I had long hair. I'm really enjoying them now that I know how to use them.

Themyst
January 1st, 2009, 11:51 AM
Wow! Nice job and it looks great on you and I love the color.

I just received my headscarves from modestworld.com yesterday. I haven't played with them yet. I'll have to go to http://www.tznius.com/cgi-bin/tying.pl to see what different styles I can achieve. I'm just hoping it stays on my head as I have a horrible time trying to keep bandanas on.

MimiKeki
January 1st, 2009, 04:21 PM
These are so pretty. You did a great job with your scarf, eaglefeather :D
In regards to the muslim issue, being a muslim myself - I think most would applaud you, simply be curious, or not notice at all.
I reckon it can look very beautiful. Mind you, I don't wear one myself :P Not right now anyway.

mira-chan
January 1st, 2009, 04:28 PM
These are so pretty. You did a great job with your scarf, eaglefeather :D
In regards to the muslim issue, being a muslim myself - I think most would applaud you, simply be curious, or not notice at all.
I reckon it can look very beautiful. Mind you, I don't wear one myself :P Not right now anyway.
I've worn scarves both Hijab style and in the styles that are on Tznius (I'm not religious.) and have had no problems save some amusing curious looks when I was in Mexico amongst groups of people in stereotypical American tourist gear (shorts/ t-shirt). :D

Themyst
January 1st, 2009, 04:56 PM
I'm not religious either, per se. But, I do live in a very closed-off part of the USA, really, it's like going back to the 1970's where I live. There are people here with very old fashioned thoughts. If I decided to venture out wearing a scarf, I won't just get funny looks, I'll be the talk of the town. I don't really care, of course. :) I just kind of do my own thing anyway.

mira-chan
January 1st, 2009, 05:48 PM
I'm not religious either, per se. But, I do live in a very closed-off part of the USA, really, it's like going back to the 1970's where I live. There are people here with very old fashioned thoughts. If I decided to venture out wearing a scarf, I won't just get funny looks, I'll be the talk of the town. I don't really care, of course. :) I just kind of do my own thing anyway.
Yea, harder to try these things in that kind of area.
I'm a New Yorker, people expect me to be a bit weird many times (when visiting other places) so why disappoint. :silly: In NYC, people don't react to these things much of the time, and if they do it's not so likely you'll meet them again if you don't know them already. I've walked around in costumes and kimono around here with no problem. A parasol got absolutely no reaction.

HairColoredHair
January 1st, 2009, 10:37 PM

Eh... I get that here.... Middle of Nowhere's-ville Nebraska... and as long as it's 'bad hair day' they leave me alone. :lol: No matter if I just wore it because it's pretty. :)

Lady Verity
January 2nd, 2009, 04:56 AM
I bought a couple basic scarves at Walmart. Here's my first attempt:
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc104/ckatto71/HairFace014.jpg
It got pretty heavy after a while, but It was fun pretending I had long hair. I'm really enjoying them now that I know how to use them.

That is gorgeous! Really suits you, eaglefeather. :)

eaglefeather71
January 2nd, 2009, 08:56 AM
That is gorgeous! Really suits you, eaglefeather. :)

I love the bohemian look and the hollywood glam look! Thats usually what I'm going for when I wear a headscarf.

Thanks for all the compliments! I think I've found a new love. And Walmart has these on sale for 5.00 (I have 6 now, one for each outfit or mood). They're the perfect size and very simple. But they are not silk so I'll have to watch for hair damage. So far I'm not seeing anything.

These really help with oiling my scalp. I need to fill in some thinning hair but I have been reluctant to oil because my hair doesn't absorb the oils much, so I am a greaseball with even the smallest amount of oils. Now I can just wear a headscarf on days I oil...yay!

Does it suit me from the front too?
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc104/ckatto71/headcoverings013-1.jpg

Themyst
January 4th, 2009, 05:01 PM
I just opened an order I received from www.modestworld.com (http://www.modestworld.com/). I had ordered a snood and two scarves, one of them silk. It was kind of exciting when I got the package because it came from Israel and for some reason I was expecting a quality product.

What I received was a snood with a hole in it because the stitching had unraveled. Badly sewn. Furthermore, the silk scarves had these really big stickers on them and when you attempt to pull them off, part of the sticker rips and also a dark substance is left on the scarf.:disgust:

Is modestworld.com like the Walmart of Israel or something? I'm pretty upset. I can accept a problem with one piece of merchandise, but both? :rolleyes:And of course, it's more hassle to return something like this. I'll just shop somewhere else next time.

http://themysteriouslady.com/badsnood.jpg

http://themysteriouslady.com/badscarf.jpg

eaglefeather71
January 4th, 2009, 05:20 PM
I just opened an order I received from www.modestworld.com (http://www.modestworld.com/). I had ordered a snood and two scarves, one of them silk. It was kind of exciting when I got the package because it came from Israel and for some reason I was expecting a quality product.

What I received was a snood with a hole in it because the stitching had unraveled. Badly sewn. Furthermore, the silk scarves had these really big stickers on them and when you attempt to pull them off, part of the sticker rips and also a dark substance is left on the scarf.:disgust:

Is modestworld.com like the Walmart of Israel or something? I'm pretty upset. I can accept a problem with one piece of merchandise, but both? :rolleyes:And of course, it's more hassle to return something like this. I'll just shop somewhere else next time.

http://thecrazylanes.com/badsnood.jpg

http://thecrazylanes.com/badscarf.jpgI would at least report the problem to them and see what happens, even if you don't ever shop there again.

wintersun99
January 4th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Hmm, if it's possible, can you put them back into the box and re-tape with shipping tape and then just write "return to sender" and put the box back into the mail? Then, if they refuse to refund your account, you can contact your credit card company and report that your merchandise was damaged on arrival and returned. Your credit card company has the power to credit your account (assuming you paid that way). It's very little trouble and much better than hanging onto damaged goods, that you will never use.

Themyst
January 4th, 2009, 05:31 PM
I would at least report the problem to them and see what happens, even if you don't ever shop there again.

You are probably right maybe I should at least email them. I'm thinking more reasonably now since I've cooled down some.

eaglefeather71
January 4th, 2009, 05:36 PM
You are probably right maybe I should at least email them. I'm thinking more reasonably now since I've cooled down some.Not that I would depend on it, but many companies just send replacements without requiring you to return the items. The pictures you took would also be helpful if you are able to attach them to the e-mail.

Themyst
January 4th, 2009, 05:37 PM
Hmm, if it's possible, can you put them back into the box and re-tape with shipping tape and then just write "return to sender" and put the box back into the mail? Then, if they refuse to refund your account, you can contact your credit card company and report that your merchandise was damaged on arrival and returned. Your credit card company has the power to credit your account (assuming you paid that way). It's very little trouble and much better than hanging onto damaged goods, that you will never use.

That is a good idea, although it would be easy enough for them to say they never received them back. They were sent from Israel. And that is a big, long way for a package to travel anyway, without some kind of tracking insurance I think I'd be afraid to send it.

I don't know. It's just so absurd to me that someone would put a big, sticky sticker on a silk scarf. It looks like it became heated and was on there for a long time because it's dark and discolored underneath when I try to remove it. But the scarf itself is so beautiful!

Maybe I'll see this differently after a good night's sleep.:) See? I'm already using smiley faces again.

wintersun99
January 4th, 2009, 05:39 PM
I don't think it would matter if they said that or not. It would be between your credit card company and them, then. I've done this once and it was very smooth process. If they aren't willing to make things right with you, I would certainly try this route... good luck

p.s - yes, it IS absurd :)

mellie
January 4th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Eaglefeather, I like the look from the front! Is there a "tail" on both sides, or just the right side?

kam984420
January 4th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Eaglefeather, I like the look from the front!
I agree mellie. Looks awesome!

eaglefeather71
January 4th, 2009, 06:23 PM
:eek:
Eaglefeather, I like the look from the front! Is there a "tail" on both sides, or just the right side? It's just on one side. I took each "tail" and twisted them. One went over my crown as shown and the other made a little bun in the back, then I took the extra length and did a small rope braid with them. I had one on the other day while I was oiling my hair and just did a ling rope braid down the back. It gave me a good idea how it would be to have really long hair...:rolleyes: it was erm...difficult. But then again, it was like the first day you get acrylics, they didn't grow out long so there was not time to get used to them. :cool:

eaglefeather71
January 13th, 2009, 11:35 AM
Something very interesting happened to me this morning in regards to the headscarf I was wearing. I just had it on loosly draped over my head and then wrapped around my neck because it was pretty cold this morning. At the bank drive through, the lady in the passenger seat of the car next to me opened her window and said something that sounded like it meant something like "Happy Ramadan". I was having such a hard time hearing her or understanding her because of the car sounds and the radio in my car, but I eventually got to tell her I was just wearing it for the cold. She was nice, and smiling as they drove off, but I wondered after how she felt about the insident. It sounded like she tought I was covering up for Ramadan. I decided that since it's probably Ramadan, i wouldn't wear the scarf for a little while so this doesn't happen again. It didn't bother me, but I'm hoping it didn't bother her either.

Themyst
January 13th, 2009, 11:40 AM
Something very interesting happened to me this morning in regards to the headscarf I was wearing. I just had it on loosly draped over my head and then wrapped around my neck because it was pretty cold this morning. At the bank drive through, the lady in the passenger seat of the car next to me opened her window and said something that sounded like it meant something like "Happy Ramadan". I was having such a hard time hearing her or understanding her because of the car sounds and the radio in my car, but I eventually got to tell her I was just wearing it for the cold. She was nice, and smiling as they drove off, but I wondered after how she felt about the insident. It sounded like she tought I was covering up for Ramadan. I decided that since it's probably Ramadan, i wouldn't wear the scarf for a little while so this doesn't happen again. It didn't bother me, but I'm hoping it didn't bother her either.

I don't think I'd worry about it. You learned something (that some people are trying to be more sensitive about Muslims around Ramadan especially) and she learned something (that not all women that wear headscarves are Muslim!) All in all, sounds like a good educational experience for everyone.:)

Moldilocks
January 13th, 2009, 12:01 PM
I wear a scarf in the winter. I ride a bike, and it's cold on my ears. I feel a hat messes up my hair. I just put it over my hair and ears, then make a knot at my chin. It's not fashinable, but DB thinks it's cute. Of course I remove the scarf as soon as I get to my destination.

ItalianFlower
January 13th, 2009, 12:27 PM
This is slightly off-topic and I don't mean it confrontational at ALL but for those of you who wear head scarves for religious reasons, and then say that you wear it to protect your scalp or "bad hair day", why? I mean, why not just say, "I'm [insert religion here]." Do you feel like you might be in danger if you say what religion you are?

eaglefeather71
January 13th, 2009, 12:27 PM
I don't think I'd worry about it. You learned something (that some people are trying to be more sensitive about Muslims around Ramadan especially) and she learned something (that not all women that wear headscarves are Muslim!) All in all, sounds like a good educational experience for everyone.:)Thanks! Thats a very good way of looking at it. I'm kind of shy in public, and it was pretty interesting.

Pani
December 17th, 2015, 02:17 AM
Melein, I think it's wonderful that you enjoy covering your hair when you go out. There is nothing wrong with wanting to, many women around the world do it.

Whenever I go out in public I put my hair up and wear it all covered up in a hijab headscarf. I feel comfortable and my hair avoids sun stress and wind tangles as well as being modest.

Christine_O
December 17th, 2015, 01:58 PM
I wear a head scarf most mornings in the winter because my hair is still wet, and if I don't cover it, it will freeze. Otherwise I wear scarves around my neck. I look old and frumpy with a scarf on my head. I look old and frumpy anyway, but I notice it with a scarf on my head. :shrug:

littlestarface
December 17th, 2015, 02:19 PM
I wear one all the time when I go outside, I wear a chiffon black scarf but I also wear niqab as well XD