PDA

View Full Version : Monistat... dare we start this again

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

jamisonlcloud
March 8th, 2008, 10:58 AM
I don't remember who first started this thread, but i thought it would be a good idea to start it again. Who of you out there have tried it? What were the results? Did the hair shed, once anyone stopped using? Did any of you use any other treatments while using monistat?

suicides_eve
March 8th, 2008, 11:43 AM
MONISTAT for Hair Growth web page
This web site is all the info here complied in one easy to under stand website. Please take a look at the question section.. More then likely you question has been answered here.
information created by users of TLHC
http://suicidesevemonistat.blogspot.com/

View the live action tutorials an question here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1U_gmnZJ0V8
View the application video herehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tn0HIwdB5ak
MY personal Growth over 8 days using Monistat- The video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4xqXaEsLbI
this is my last post from TBB

ok i have been my own little at home test on which gives me the best result and i was amazed..

--the generic stuff bought from the Family Dollar store ($5) is just not working i usually dilute my mixture,but i even applied full strength for a whole week and i got squat. It also is hard to mix, it stays somewhat chunky even after a vigorous shaking. It is not as greasy as the brand below

--the Walgreen's generic stuff($9) did actually work, it is nearly identical to the Family Dollar brand ingredient list but i received a very good amount of growth using it. it mixes easyier but i find it more greasy then the other brand.

--Walmart brand ($9) didn't cut it for me either.it mixed well but i could detected a faint smell of the stuff once in a while, i know others had to notice it too

--Monisat($13) i believe i received the most hair growth from using this, it mixed well and i didn't have a really bad case of the greasies, down side it is rather expense

I will more then likely be sticking with my Walgreen's brand as it is cheaper and right up the road. these are my experiences and everyone's will be different just thought i would share. i have been doing the MN thing since Oct and just love the hair growthhttp://chatter.thebeautybottle.com/images/smilies/grinhappy.gif

i have been averaging about 1" of growth per months using it 3x a week( without it, i was not quite getting a 1/2"), i diluted in a pointed type bottle (rinsed out hair dye bottle)
my first few applications caused serious headaches, but i have built up a tolerance to it i suppose..
its great for getting rid of scabby/flaking/itchy head

Unofficial_Rose
March 8th, 2008, 11:46 AM
I've been doing this using Daktarin (2% Miconazole) once a week, followed by the egg & honey on the scalp the next morning (when I can be bothered/have time).

I did it religiously Dec & Jan and grew 0.75 ins in each month. Took a break in Feb and pushed out barely 0.5 inch. Sooo, back to Daktarin in March!

I was a little wary about putting athlete's foot cream on my scalp (the *glamour* :eek:) but it's healthy. Whilst I use it, it's cut down my shedding by about 50% (went back to normal when I stopped).

Yes, I am very pleased. It's finally at my shoulders now and looks decent down :happydance:

Kudos to Ainé for coming up with this one :bowtome:

jojo
March 8th, 2008, 12:13 PM
i grew an inch from Jan to Feb taking me to 23", then I cut to a blunt(ish) hem so back to 22" at present. Im using daktarin once a week so hoping for another inch this month.

Wish me luck!

rhubarbarin
March 8th, 2008, 12:49 PM
So.. if I had a severe allergic reaction to Clotrimazole 1% cream.. do you think I'd have a problem with Miconazole? I know they are not the same thing, but I believe they are in the same 'family'.. mind you, I am prone to 'allergic' skin reactions that aren't really caused by what I am putting on my skin, but rather by stress. I've had hives/rashes/severe swelling from lotions I've used a hundred times, suncreen etc.. and from nothing more than crying myself to sleep.. my skin attacks itself when I'm upset. I had used Clotrimazole for ringworm before and had no problem. But this time it gave me terrible contact dermatitis that is taking months to completely resolve (without steroids).

Ah I'd better not risk it. It's so tempting though to think of reducing my shedding with Monistat. Not to mention increasing growth.

Rzilynt
March 8th, 2008, 02:03 PM
I fell off of this band wagon and started onto something else...I am such a product junkie.....Not to hijack this thread, But I have found something that is working for me. A little expensive but there is a guarantee.
Eqyss is the company. Yes for the Equine, but this is for human use. Smells wonderful. Kinda like Pina colada~.
Megatek rebuilder can be bought cheaper if you buy it from an Equine groomer. But you can get the same results using either one. The Human line is called Ovation. It is the Cell Therapy that is what is giving me a boost in hair growth. I usually only get 1/2 inch per month and I have gotten 1 inch last month and I am hoping to keep up the pace for as long as I can grow.

HHG'S

jamisonlcloud
March 8th, 2008, 02:48 PM
Then I wonder if both would be over kill....

fae
March 8th, 2008, 02:56 PM
What is daktarin?

I started doing monistat last month. My hair grew 1 inch in like three weeks. Woohoo! But I hadn't paid much attention to how fast it grew before last month. But it is hitting new land marks on my backside, so I guess it is growing faster.

Thanks for the idea.

Anje
March 8th, 2008, 03:09 PM
So.. if I had a severe allergic reaction to Clotrimazole 1% cream.. do you think I'd have a problem with Miconazole?

You could always do a little patch test on your forearm or inside your elbow, of course. Hydrocortizone cream would probably help clear up any reaction, if you get one. But it's up to you if you want to risk it.

jojo
March 8th, 2008, 03:43 PM
So.. if I had a severe allergic reaction to Clotrimazole 1% cream.. do you think I'd have a problem with Miconazole? I know they are not the same thing, but I believe they are in the same 'family'.. mind you, I am prone to 'allergic' skin reactions that aren't really caused by what I am putting on my skin, but rather by stress. I've had hives/rashes/severe swelling from lotions I've used a hundred times, suncreen etc.. and from nothing more than crying myself to sleep.. my skin attacks itself when I'm upset. I had used Clotrimazole for ringworm before and had no problem. But this time it gave me terrible contact dermatitis that is taking months to completely resolve (without steroids).

Ah I'd better not risk it. It's so tempting though to think of reducing my shedding with Monistat. Not to mention increasing growth.

yes they are both from the same family, given your reaction in the past id not chance it.

Messyhair
March 8th, 2008, 03:59 PM
I tried this for a couple of weeks. First, the 4%, which gave me 1/4" growth in a week. Then the 2%, which did absolutely nothing. So maybe my earlier growth was a fluke.

banglaminerva
March 8th, 2008, 05:16 PM
I'm still on this wagon as it did a great job with filling in a patch. So now I'm using it on the whole scalp. I haven't measured in a while but the shedding is down significantly and the ponytail diameter is thickening.

I've been using the Family Dollar brand.

suicides_eve
March 8th, 2008, 06:31 PM
I was alway curious about using the 4%, i never personally tried it. sounds like it is the same as using 2% 3x a week that is what i do and i get about 1/4"/wk hmmmm..

ColoradoDreamer
March 8th, 2008, 07:22 PM
I've been hesitant to try this, given the possible side-effect (headaches, for one), but I'm really intrigued by the results you guys are getting.

One question though: do you use the monistat that is used "internally" for yeast infections, or is this a topical cream for "outside" itchies?

Wanita
March 8th, 2008, 08:03 PM
One question though: do you use the monistat that is used "internally" for yeast infections, or is this a topical cream for "outside" itchies?

Yes, that would be it - the 'internal' kind. ;)

I've been rather sporadic about using MN (I use WalMart' generic brand mixed with some leftover Crowning Glory cream). I aim for 3x week, using it the night before a shampoo day. But the last month I have been using it only about once a week, mostly out of sheer laziness.

The difference I notice is when I am not using it, my hairline flakies increase. My shedding is always more when using MN, but I always shed more after any kind of scalp treatment.

As for growth, I have lots of new baby hairs along the hairline, but I can't tell if I'm gaining any length.

Might help if I were a regular measurer. :rolleyes:

Darian Moone
March 9th, 2008, 12:17 AM
I believe it was Aine who began this thread originally.

I still haven't tried it but am so, so tempted. I'd really like to thicken up the hair around my temples, I'm just afraid to get a headache from it for fear it might trigger a migraine. Maybe if I water it down a lot at first so it's extremely diluted and build up the strength slowly it would minimize the risk - kind of get used to it. Any opinions on trying it this way?

Unofficial_Rose
March 9th, 2008, 01:56 AM
What is daktarin?

I started doing monistat last month. My hair grew 1 inch in like three weeks. Woohoo! But I hadn't paid much attention to how fast it grew before last month. But it is hitting new land marks on my backside, so I guess it is growing faster.

Thanks for the idea.

Daktarin is a highly glamorous athletes foot cream with 2% miconazole, available in the UK. I'd use the Monistat myself (esp as it has 4% miconazole) but I don't believe you can get it here. Sounds as though I'd get even faster growth with that, and I could certainly do with it, being barely shoulder-length. :)

Soraya
March 9th, 2008, 03:28 AM
Do you guys think that other antifungals (especially tea tree oil since we have that) would work too? Has anyone tried switching the cream to something else to see if the results change?

ilovelonghair
March 9th, 2008, 10:27 AM
I'm using Daktarin for 2 months now and at first there were no results. The first week I experienced extra hair loss, but my hair has improved since. There are lots of new hairs growing and my hair is starting to get thicker. It also grows at my normal rate again, which used to be fast but slowed down a lot in the last year. Daktarin didn't yet help me to get rid of my scalp problems.

Áine
March 9th, 2008, 10:42 AM
Do you guys think that other antifungals (especially tea tree oil since we have that) would work too? Has anyone tried switching the cream to something else to see if the results change?

Hi Soraya!

Well, on the other Mega-MN thread in LHC archives (http://boardreader.com/t/Mane_Board_13475/Using_Monistat_Holy_Moly_growth_so_fast_68526.html ), we came to a possible understanding that it may be something beyond the anti-fungal property. It may very well be that the "-azole" functional group may be at play here in assisting the accelerated growth for some people.

That being said... if tea tree oil is something your scalp really likes, then by all means use it. Then come back and tell us about it. I always like to learn something new.

Madam Librarian
March 9th, 2008, 11:42 AM
From Feb 14 on The Beauty Bottle:

I have used the MN treatment for about a month now. My official growth measurement will happen on the 17th, but as of now, I haven't seen/measured a bit of new growth. Nothing. And I'm not talking no extra growth above and beyond my normal growth. I mean NO growth whatsoever.

Since then, I have cut my hair back to about 21 inches. I am waiting on the motivation to strike to try again. Maybe I'll get the brand name stuff this time, since people have been reporting poor results with the Equate brand that I was using.

The Flame
March 9th, 2008, 01:08 PM
What is the technique for using this cream? Rub it in your scalp at bedtime and wash hair in the morning? How many hours does it need to remain on the scalp to work? TIA.

ailin
March 9th, 2008, 01:12 PM
I use Nizoral shampoo (ketoconazole) once a week and apply Monistat on my layers after CO washes, usually once or twice a week... when I remember. I just leave it in until next wash as it seems to get absorbed by the skin.

Since I'm not a regular measurer I can't really tell whether or not my hair is growing faster, but just yesterday my MIL commented on how long my hair is getting. "I never really noticed before, but..."

Love the shampoo, though! It's a bit expensive, but after a wash my hair is shiny, thick and my scalp feels awesome. I get buildup/dandruff/scalp gunk quite easily.

I have to henna my roots every 3-4 weeks... is that normal? LoL! I have no frame of reference. :D

ilovelonghair
March 10th, 2008, 01:48 AM
I also henna my hair and it's a good indicator for growth, since using Daktarin I do have to do the roots more often, but I'm lazy. I really really need to do them right now, but the mess...

Anybody did any measurements yet?

tiny_teesha
March 10th, 2008, 02:17 AM
i do want to try this. I wanted to use the 100% MSM and mix it with some aloe vera and perhaps some other hair growth strengthening herbs (like amla, shikakai and more)
But for a tiny jar it costs $25!!!! I'll just eat more eggs.....lol
did read somewhere that if you boil caggabe and make a mask of it or eat it there is sulfur in it. i think..Isn't it the sulfur in it that helps hair grow???

marajade
March 10th, 2008, 02:29 AM
What is the technique for using this cream? Rub it in your scalp at bedtime and wash hair in the morning? How many hours does it need to remain on the scalp to work? TIA.

Exactly. . I rub it straight into my scalp and CO it out in the morning or leave it longer if I can stand it! LOL.

SaveTheTapirs
March 10th, 2008, 03:56 AM
I really want to try this. I've just been too lazy to go buy some, haha. Also I'm a little cautious because of the headaches that some people have reported. Like someone else mentioned, I'm afraid of it triggering a migraine too. But I think I'm just going to try it anyway. I love everybody's willingness to be a guinea pig, it cracks me up.

Mahars
March 10th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Has anybody tried Tinactin jock itch spray? I know it sounds gross, but it says it's a powder, so I'm thinking it may help with the greasies in addition to helping with growth. It has 2% miconazole I think.

waidz
March 10th, 2008, 06:13 PM
I've achieved growth with Daktarin, although I'm not sure how much as I haven't measured. Started on 9 Jan, use it about 1-2 a week muxed with Castor Oil. I achieved more growth in 2 months than I ever did. I also started using Gro Aut about 2 weeks ago so currently gauging the results of that as well. Pic below of my length in December and then February:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2326/2325551832_5d9a75fe4a.jpg?v=0

The Flame
March 10th, 2008, 07:15 PM
Thank you, marajade!

suicides_eve
March 10th, 2008, 07:48 PM
wow that is some great growth

stepha
March 11th, 2008, 02:31 PM
Ok, I have to try this!
I've been "lurking" on the monistat talks since before the changeover, and have decided to try.
Last week I had layers put in (to help with body) and even tho' I told her not to touch the bottom length, she did. 5 inches of hard work gone. Back to a lowly 19. In despair I'm turning to monistat.
I just put about 3/4ths inch on my scalp and rubbed. And prayed to the goddess of hair, whosoever she may be.
Questions - is daily too often and what was I supposed to mix it with?

jojo
March 11th, 2008, 04:14 PM
I apply daktarin (the coochie cream one) to freshly washed hair whilst still wet. I only use once a week, was using 3 times a week and got a tender spot, when i cut down this went though.

i have noticed baby hair sprouts around my temples sticking up, the ends are tapered so its not breakage.

I will be measuring in the Beginning of April.

tiny_teesha
March 13th, 2008, 01:30 AM
Does it have to be that brand? I saw some athletes foot spray. Can't rememebr hte name but there was 2% miconazole.
ps- i need to apologise for my insanity in the last post i did here, for some reason i thought the creams had sulfur which made hair grow....i'm not sure why....
Anyway! So i almost bought it. It was by Eulactol or something. I think it was called "Athletes foot cream" or something along those lines. i think this (http://www.avenuespharmacy.com.au/Catalog.asp?cso=24%603%7C23%6013465%7C28%60default %2Exsl%7C16%60False%7E3%7C0%6018370%7E3%7C&SRCH=1)is it.

Does it have to be the edible form??

Cricket
March 13th, 2008, 03:37 AM
As per the deal with DH, I've given him notice that I'm trying a new hair experiment. He doesn't quite understand the reasoning behind it, but he likes me with long hair. His quote: "Honey, you DO know what Monistat is used for, right?" He's so cute.

Anyways, Friday night is the big night, leaving me able to have a headache on Saturday.

ilovelonghair
March 13th, 2008, 04:28 AM
I remember some people were using 4%, does that make a difference?

suicides_eve
March 13th, 2008, 02:35 PM
idk about the 4% i am currently using name brand monistat 2% and get about 1/4" a week from using it. i am now preferring this to the others b/c it doesn't contain the mineral oil that really weighed my curls down. i think after i am done with this tube (gives me about a month supply) i will try for the 4%

Áine
March 13th, 2008, 02:40 PM
I remember some people were using 4%, does that make a difference?

I was using 4% during my trial with MN. I don't know how much of a difference there is between 2% and 4% since all I used was 4% throughout. I would imagine the end result is the same, but it may differ in the amount of time it takes effect. I noticed results within 1-2 weeks.

Edited to Add:

See the old archived MN thread here (http://boardreader.com/t/Mane_Board_13475/Using_Monistat_Holy_Moly_growth_so_fast_68526.html ), via Boarder Reader.

stepha
March 13th, 2008, 04:31 PM
While schmoozing around the net I ran across another idea. Someone soaked red pepper in olive oil then used it as a paste. It's supposed to increase growth by increasing blood circulation at the scalp. I do recall hearing that hot peppers do that, any thoughts?

Does anyone have any specifics on applying the Monistat? The old forum had some on what and how much carrier oil and frequency - does anyone remember them? My brain just doesn't hold as much info as it should!

Curlyredhead
March 14th, 2008, 08:15 PM
While schmoozing around the net I ran across another idea. Someone soaked red pepper in olive oil then used it as a paste. It's supposed to increase growth by increasing blood circulation at the scalp. I do recall hearing that hot peppers do that, any thoughts?

Does anyone have any specifics on applying the Monistat? The old forum had some on what and how much carrier oil and frequency - does anyone remember them? My brain just doesn't hold as much info as it should!

Bumping up

suicides_eve
March 15th, 2008, 04:27 PM
i have heard of i think it's called caspein cream which is kind like icy/hot but not icy. it is suppose to simulate growth by bringing blood to the scalp for circulation.

i apply my monistat 3x a week w/o washing out. i use a well-rinsed pointed hair dye bottle (or a genric picnic ketchup bottle) to apply straight to my roots while massaging in as i go along.

my mixture is usually about a inch long strip squeeze in the bottle( i just eyeball it) and mix with about 4 table spoons of warm water. shaken together it makes a nice runny cream. i then style as usual.

i know monistat dose not have any mineral oil in it but others do you have to read the ingredients, i found the oil really makes the hair greasy and flat and it also causes pimples around my hair line.

MissHair
March 15th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Ive only used it twice. First time I had horrible headaches, the second time I felt nothing. No shedding what I noticed... Ive been way too lasy to start this all over again incase it dosnt give me great results anyways.. I might start again when Ive got the energy, Im desperate for some hairgrowth now.

stepha
March 17th, 2008, 07:33 AM
It's a magic cream - :magic: I'm at 21 inches!!!!!!!!!
If this keeps up I'll reach my goal length in 7 weeks. Many thanks to the brave pioneers at LHC who first posted this.

tiny_teesha
March 17th, 2008, 07:49 AM
Sorry i didn't keep track of the old monistat thread....just wondering....
Is there a particular brand/type that was favoured? Worked best/easy to apply, etc.
Like for example "daktarin for athletes foot because it is affordabe and effective( i normally grow 1 inch a month, i now grow 2 inches, and i shed half as much), just mix with olive oil 1/2 1/2 on scalp after wash" - I made that up, it is an example.

Gee it would be nice to grow 2 inches a month! I grow a mere 1/4 inch a month!! ARGH! I shed 165 hairs a day- exessive....so i would like something to help with that and my slow growth. i want to get the best one/most effective/affordable

chloeishere
March 18th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Here's my growth post for the month! I'm mostly just going to copy/ paste the relevant bits from my blog here. :p I started in October. From 16" to 20.25" this month-- 4.25" in 5 months.
Well, it's the eighteenth, time for my monthly miconazole growth reports. This month was kind of a dissapointment, but I really do think I was getting growth, just maybe not as much length as I'm used to. On the other hand, it definitely feels longer, though-- I can do a hairstyle much more frequently than I was able to before (easy hairstick bun) which shouldn't have been the case if I gained in thickness and length. Or maybe I just got better at doing the bun?
I also am *this close* to not being able to use my medium flexi-8 for a bun, which shows definite thickness increase, if nothing else.
I wielded the measuring tape again (god, I hate measuring), and the three most "accurate feeling" measurements (i.e. the ones where the measuring tape didn't move away from my head, the measuring tape didn't slip away from my hairline, etc.) were 20", 20.25", and 20.5". I don't know which is the right one, so I'm going straight down the middle-- 20.25". Not bad considering that I wasn't showing any growth at all for this month a week ago. I guess once a spurt grower, always a spurt grower. Not exceptional growth, but I do think my shorter layers have grown out a bit-- you can check it in the pictures coming up soon. I'm really tired of measuring every month, so I think I might switch from measuring and taking pictures every month, to just taking pictures, and measuring bi-monthly. To save some stress, because I find it a pain in the butt.

Anyway, on to the pictures:
From the start (16" on here):
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k152/chloeishere/Mico1007to308.jpg
From last month:
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k152/chloeishere/Mico208to308.jpg
It seems like my hair is the same length in the monthly comparison, but I think it's because I was holding the camera closer to the mirror in the older shot. It seems longer to me in the newer shot, even though at a quick glance, they look about the same. I compare by how long my hair goes past my shoulders though. Does anyone else think the layers look longer in the newer shot?

Also, I try to wear the same shirt for every length shot, but I've actually been using two because I can never seem to find the one I want-- my favorite shirt that my boyfriend gave me, El Diablo. Instead I was wearing a graphic tee from Aero that's very similar in color, if not in fit, but I can't find either this month, so instead I'm wearing my Moon Kite shirt from threadless. It's a similar fit to the Aero tee, but unfortunately it's black. I just did laundry, so I know the other shirts are somewhere, and clean. So frustrating!

stepha
March 18th, 2008, 08:48 PM
looks longer to me chloeishere! (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/member.php?u=12874)

tiny_teesha
March 18th, 2008, 08:54 PM
Wow that is some growth.

Darian Moone
March 18th, 2008, 09:08 PM
Looks longer to me too. :)

stepha
March 19th, 2008, 08:36 PM
21.5! Loving this stuff!!!

Darian Moone
March 19th, 2008, 11:13 PM
I'm so tempted to try this but I get migraines and am so afraid to trigger one. I have used Monistat the "regular" way as well as taken oral Diflucan with no headaches though. I wonder if this means I won't get headaches if applied topically on my head???

suicides_eve
March 20th, 2008, 08:47 AM
here is something interesting i dkn if anyone else has noticed this either:
i had my hair trimmed at the end of February and all my layers were nice and pretty, it is not even a month yet but i can DEFFINATLY notice were my hair grows faster at, there are lots of jagged little points of hair were my nice layers had previously been.
The back-right side grows so much more faster then anywhere else it makes my hair line all lop sided.

anyone else notice little bits growing faster rather
then all over growth?

chloeishere
March 20th, 2008, 06:10 PM
here is something interesting i dkn if anyone else has noticed this either:
i had my hair trimmed at the end of February and all my layers were nice and pretty, it is not even a month yet but i can DEFFINATLY notice were my hair grows faster at, there are lots of jagged little points of hair were my nice layers had previously been.
The back-right side grows so much more faster then anywhere else it makes my hair line all lop sided.

anyone else notice little bits growing faster rather
then all over growth?

Yes, I do-- but it evens up for me every couple of months. So it seems like my hair will look a bit uneven (the back center seems to grow fastest for me) but then next month, the sides catch up. Then it gets less even again... etc. I think you can kind of tell from my pictures from last month, on the last page. I had a lot bigger U-shape last month (I haven't trimmed at all, maybe S&Ded off 5-10 hairs in between), but this month the length is more even. If you are having lopsided growth, you could always try applying everywhere BUT the place that's growing a lot faster. Maybe that would work?

Wow, stepha! Your growth is insane! Great job!

Darian-- I'm not sure if people who are prone to migraines are also more prone to headaches with monistat. I used to get migraines as a teenager, but haven't had them regularly in years, so I'm not sure if I qualify. I haven't had any headaches (that are related to monistat) for what that's worth. If you try it, and get a headache, I would definitely discontinue use.

Tiny_teesha-- I'm not sure about what brands that contain miconazole are availabe in Australia, since I live in the US. I consider all creams to be about the same (assuming same percentage of miconazole), but some people disagree. Right now I'm diluting about 3-5 inches of equate generic miconazole cream (I'm estimating, but I just squeeze a nice long piece out) in enough water to make a bit less than one ounce total-- I have it in a one ounce dropper bottle. I shake it up really well. I was adding peppermint EO, but I've stopped because it made my scalp really cold and tingly feeling when I had too much in there! This method is very easy to apply; it's fast and easy to spread, but I'm thinking I might not get as good results using this method, compared with applying monistat directly to the scalp (a bigger pain, takes longer, and the smell isn't masked; not that it's a particularly unpleasant smell). I'm sticking with the dropper method for another month though, to make sure it wasn't another factor that lessened my results.

Thank you all for the lovely compliments-- I'm glad it looks longer to people besides me!

salamander
March 21st, 2008, 10:27 PM
Alright, I'm biting. Got some 2% cream, rubbed it on without mixing it with anything. I'm so close to a really nice length, I simply cannot wait. It's potion time.

I was wondering, how often do you guys use it? I was thinking once a week, but that doesn't seem like very often for something that's supposed to make my hair grow.

nayver
March 22nd, 2008, 04:47 AM
Hi there!!! I'm a newbie in LHC and I'm here cause I need to recover my long hair :( The question is...how do you use this cream? How do you apply it?

suicides_eve
March 22nd, 2008, 06:40 AM
from page 4
i have heard of i think it's called caspein cream which is kind like icy/hot but not icy. it is suppose to simulate growth by bringing blood to the scalp for circulation.

i apply my monistat 3x a week w/o washing out. i use a well-rinsed pointed hair dye bottle (or a genric picnic ketchup bottle) to apply straight to my roots while massaging in as i go along.

my mixture is usually about a inch long strip squeeze in the bottle( i just eyeball it) and mix with about 4 table spoons of warm water. shaken together it makes a nice runny cream. i then style as usual.

i know monistat dose not have any mineral oil in it but others do you have to read the ingredients, i found the oil really makes the hair greasy and flat and it also causes pimples around my hair line.

AnimaSola3o4
March 22nd, 2008, 03:02 PM
I use Nizoral shampoo (ketoconazole) once a week and apply Monistat on my layers after CO washes, usually once or twice a week... when I remember. I just leave it in until next wash as it seems to get absorbed by the skin.

Since I'm not a regular measurer I can't really tell whether or not my hair is growing faster, but just yesterday my MIL commented on how long my hair is getting. "I never really noticed before, but..."

Love the shampoo, though! It's a bit expensive, but after a wash my hair is shiny, thick and my scalp feels awesome. I get buildup/dandruff/scalp gunk quite easily.

I have to henna my roots every 3-4 weeks... is that normal? LoL! I have no frame of reference. :D

I just bought some Nizoral shampoo to try! My target store was out of their generic monistat, which is only $5 for a tube... so I decided that now would be a good time to try Nizoral. I got the smaller sized bottle, and I bought it at Walgreens. By the way, for the month of March they have a $2 off coupon for it in the EasySaver. If you are unfamiliar with walgreens, there is a little stand by the front door with EasySaver catalogs in it, and they have all sorts of coupons and deals. Ask the cashier if you don't know where it is.

I'm hoping that this works for my itchy buildup. I'm not really concerned about growth at the moment, seeing as how my hair has hit a growth spurt it seems. I'm more worried about my scalp problems. And I'm hoping that it doesnt cause excess shedding! My mom has a bottle of prescription strength ketoconazole shampoo and it says on it that it may cause excess shedding. I'm hoping that this over the counter stuff is weaker and will not.

I do plan on also buying Monistat soon, especially if the Nizoral doesn't do it's job. :)

jojo
March 22nd, 2008, 03:49 PM
just bumping this up, nearly the time to measure up ladies and gentlemen! how do you all feel you have grown?

i feel longer and praying i got m inch back that i cut off last month!

tiny_teesha
March 23rd, 2008, 04:12 AM
Well i'll have to look around for what brands are avaliable here when i'm out next.

MadPirateBippy
March 23rd, 2008, 03:17 PM
Alright, I'm biting. Got some 2% cream, rubbed it on without mixing it with anything. I'm so close to a really nice length, I simply cannot wait. It's potion time.

I was wondering, how often do you guys use it? I was thinking once a week, but that doesn't seem like very often for something that's supposed to make my hair grow.

Salamander, if you don't put "It's potion time." in as your siggy line, a little bit of me will die inside.

I'm going to consider doing this. My growth gets faster in the summer, but I'm willing to give it a shot, because if I can go from 1/4 to 1 inch a month over the summer to 2 inches, a nice little doubling, it would be worth it to get all the cootchie cream in my hair I can shove up there.

Or something. :p

emeraldjoy
March 24th, 2008, 11:03 AM
I have read this thread for months and have been experimenting silently. I used it once a week for two months and saw at least one inch of growth that month. The next two months I forgot and my growth slowed down (I am bad about measuring consistently, but it seemed slower). I want to start using it again. I just find it hard to apply.

jojo
March 24th, 2008, 11:21 AM
I have read this thread for months and have been experimenting silently. I used it once a week for two months and saw at least one inch of growth that month. The next two months I forgot and my growth slowed down (I am bad about measuring consistently, but it seemed slower). I want to start using it again. I just find it hard to apply.

I had this problem at first, what i do now is put a bit of the cream on my first two fingers and gently spread it equally with my first two fingers of other hand. Then I tip my head forward and give it a little shake to separate hair, then i put my hands in a slight fist and starting at the sides of my head, place my hands in and open the fingers out when my knuckles touch my scalp (hope im making sense!) and then massage into the scalp this way, just repeat this action all over.
i can only do this on wet hair, im too clumsy with dry hair and end up with it on my hair!!

murphy
March 24th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Does this work for guys too?

Áine
March 24th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Does this work for guys too?

I would imagine it works on the active, non-DHT affected hair follicles of men.

For those with male patterned baldness, I do not know that Monistat stimulates those areas as Rogaine would. It might be worth a shot though. If you do decide to start the regimen, would you let us know your experience with it?

Edited to Add:

Read about some of the other experiences here, in the original MN thread (http://boardreader.com/t/Mane_Board_13475/Using_Monistat_Holy_Moly_growth_so_fast_68526.html ).

xrosiex
March 24th, 2008, 06:07 PM
I did the same thing. But I'm thinking of starting again. I wish I had someone to come apply it for me.:( I do want the growth sooooo it's time to commit.:luke:

ladystar
March 24th, 2008, 07:48 PM
I havent not used the moni just yet. But I have been using something else that has worked for me. Its called Super grow it has sage and sulfur, coconut oil. The says B B The letters are in orange (there are other colors) I bought it at Walgreens. Althought I would like to try the monisat which one is it? I went to the store there is 3 day 1 day and 7 days? Does it matter which one you buy?

banglaminerva
March 24th, 2008, 08:59 PM
To apply mono, I bought a small "syringe" thing that's sold for feeding liquid meds to infants. The unexpected bonus (mainly because I didn't look carefully at the package) is that it comes with a cap to close off the tip. So I just squeeze in some of the cream, apply it along the scalp by gently pushing down on the plunger, cap it off until the next application and then use my fingers to massage the cream in. Since I started applying it this way, it's gotten much neater and quicker, thereby making it easier to do it regularly (every night in my case).

ladystar
March 25th, 2008, 09:13 AM
Ok, I was trying to figure this out. My hair is at 26 inches and grows about half and inch a month which I read was normal :ponder:. My ultimate goal is 36” if it continues at this rate I will reach my goal by Nov 2009 with no trims. But will definitely be happy once it’s at least by my lower back :joy:. I only have 2 more inches (blowfryed) to reach my waist yippee. I will be starting the Monistat treatment today and keep my blog updated if my hair grows any faster. :pray:

AnimaSola3o4
March 25th, 2008, 02:57 PM
To apply mono, I bought a small "syringe" thing that's sold for feeding liquid meds to infants. The unexpected bonus (mainly because I didn't look carefully at the package) is that it comes with a cap to close off the tip. So I just squeeze in some of the cream, apply it along the scalp by gently pushing down on the plunger, cap it off until the next application and then use my fingers to massage the cream in. Since I started applying it this way, it's gotten much neater and quicker, thereby making it easier to do it regularly (every night in my case).

That's an excellent method of application! I'm going to look for this syringe at the store! Seems like it would be much neater and easier!

-Lillian-
March 25th, 2008, 03:53 PM
I've been lurking on this thread for awhile (the old one and this one) and have decided to try this out for a 2-3 month trial as soon as I get my paycheck. I have a few places along my temples that I would like to thicken up.

I also have a question about men using it. My boyfriend's hair is falling out quite a bit because of stress and other things. I started him on hair vitamins a few weeks ago and thought I'd ask if this would work for him? I've read on this thread that it's not for sure if it would help with male pattern baldness. But his isn't male pattern baldness, he's just lost alot of hair due to shedding.

lady_hero
March 25th, 2008, 04:03 PM
I bought Wal Mart's brand this morning and I'm going to start tonight. I think I'll try using it 2x's a week and see what happens! I'm starting to get excited! I would really like to see some growth soon :D

nayver
March 25th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Hello girls!!! Tonight's is my second application of Daktarin, but I have a question...Is it normal that my scalp itchs??

suicides_eve
March 25th, 2008, 05:19 PM
yes, itches can be normal i first started with severe headache and pushed my way through it. i was applying straight but i find its easier and less painful to apply a diluted mix.
i think increase shedding in the begging is also a known side effect

suicides_eve
March 25th, 2008, 05:22 PM
I havent not used the moni just yet. But I have been using something else that has worked for me. Its called Super grow it has sage and sulfur, coconut oil. The says B B The letters are in orange (there are other colors) I bought it at Walgreens. Althought I would like to try the monisat which one is it? I went to the store there is 3 day 1 day and 7 days? Does it matter which one you buy?
can you please post the other ingredients? i tried Sulfur 8 with horrible results b/c it contained pertolum and mineral oil. i had to wash my hiar with dawn dish soap to get some of the crap out:mad::mad:

ladystar
March 25th, 2008, 05:37 PM
OK, I just applied the monistat 7 on with a dye bottle I added warm water as motioned above, I am not sure if its suppose to be pasty or wet. Anyways my scalp is wet right now and I am going to leave it in till tomorrow night adding some jojoba oil and evoo to my ends then washing. After this I will apply the Monistat 7 at again, but this time I will apply it with already wet hair. =) doing this 3x a wk.

DecafJane
March 25th, 2008, 05:50 PM
Okay, I am going to give this a go again. :o
I applied it twice last time just after the forum went down. Then I got busy with uni and everything and promptly forgot about it. I'm going to try to dilute it this time, as last time I put it on straight, and although it wasn't a problem for me, it used up quite a bit of it.
Cross fingers!

ladystar
March 25th, 2008, 05:55 PM
Sorry, LoL It does have mineral oil and hard to take out. I use suave clarifying shampoo and my regular one after. I wash it like 3 times and condition the ends at the same time. Also I only wash once a week. I leave it in my hair for 3 days or longer first day I apply it second more and 3rd more. So I only have to wash and wash once not day after day. It looks really greasy but I found it worth it when I was doing it on a more regular bases. I keep my hair in a pony tail when doing this. Right now I will be trying the monistat at and see which one I get better results with.

BB Double Strength Super Gro Orange letters because there are other ones with the super grow name on it. Its in the afro section.

Petrolatum, mineral oil, coconut oil, seasame oil, hydrolyzed collagen, maleated soybean oil, vitamins E, D & A, weat germ, sage and sulfur, D & C green #6, D &C yellow #11 and fragrance. That's what the back of the bottle says.

suicides_eve
March 25th, 2008, 06:00 PM
in my searching i found nothing stating men could not /would not have results with using Miconazole Nitrate.
But the way i see it, if its good enough to put on a dogs ass to regrow hair then its good enough for the male head.:p
meaning it used to treat females and animals i don't see why men couldn't give it a shot. males and females have the same horomones just at different levels but again the real 'magic' to it is the affects of the Miconazole Nitrate.
i did digg up some more interesting things in my search though.

side effects taken from New Zealand safety authority's research
http://www.medsafe.govt.nz/profs/datasheet/m/Monistat3creamdisposable.htm
Adverse Reactions

Clinical studies show that miconazole nitrate cream is generally well tolerated. Most frequently reported reactions (mainly mild to moderate) in clinical trials included local irritation (16-21%), pruritus (23-27%), discharge (3-4%), headache (18-19%) and a burning sensation (24-26%), especially at the start of the treatment. Complaints of pelvic cramping, hives and skin rash have also been reported rarely. A higher incidence and severity of adverse reactions were found with miconazole 4% vaginal cream than with miconazole 2% vaginal cream.

cellulitis warning taken form FDA memorandumhttp://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/ac/04/briefing/4036B1_09_Adverse%20Event%20Reports.pdf

A Comparison of Miconazole Nitrate and Selenium Disulfide as Anti-dandruff Agentshttp://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1365-4362.1983.tb03330.x

suicides_eve
March 25th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Sorry, LoL It does have mineral oil and hard to take out. I use suave clarifying shampoo and my regular one after. I wash it like 3 times and condition the ends at the same time. Also I only wash once a week. I leave it in my hair for 3 days or longer first day I apply it second more and 3rd more. So I only have to wash and wash once not day after day. It looks really greasy but I found it worth it when I was doing it on a more regular bases. I keep my hair in a pony tail when doing this. Right now I will be trying the monistat at and see which one I get better results with.

BB Double Strength Super Gro Orange letters because there are other ones with the super grow name on it. Its in the afro section.

Petrolatum, mineral oil, coconut oil, seasame oil, hydrolyzed collagen, maleated soybean oil, vitamins E, D & A, weat germ, sage and sulfur, D & C green #6, D &C yellow #11 and fragrance. That's what the back of the bottle says.

o phooey:p

jojo
March 25th, 2008, 06:57 PM
next application tomorrow for me, going to have to buy some more then, thinking of upping to twice a week.

anybody else notice their hair getting thicker with this? ive gone up from just under 3.5 circumference to 4" since using this in December.

ColoradoDreamer
March 25th, 2008, 10:19 PM
I bought some Monistat this evening, and I'm going to give this a try. Not sure if it will be best to apply this at night or what, as I usually wash my hair in the mornings.

My DH saw the Monistat in our shopping cart and gave me a questioning look. I told him that I intend to put it on my head. He went like this: :disgust: Then, when I told him it's supposed to help my hair to grow faster, he went :shrug:

We shall see!

Xepher
March 26th, 2008, 09:44 AM
I tried this for a week a while ago and did notice that my roots seemed to be showing more((it's kinda hard to tell since my hair is reddish/light brown and my roots are dirty blonde, it kinda blends))

What I did was I bought the pre-filled applicators of Monistat 4%, and then a big tube of cheap personelle brand 2% cream. I mix a decent amount of the 2% with a few drops of emu and tea tree oil, then I add a small glob of the 4% for extra strength and massage that all over my scalp. I put it on before bed, wear it for work the following day, then shower it out when I get home. It seemed to have been working but I did feel those headaches coming around.

I had to stop because I ran out and didn't have the funds to go buy more, but next week I think i'll start again for two weeks straight and see what happens! I'll keep you guys updated.

LuXious
March 26th, 2008, 10:24 AM
I used generic Monistat for the first month after I butchered them. They were up to the first third of my forehead-- had to wear a wide elastic band to hold them back and hide them. Anyway, they were almost to my eyebrows by the end of that month. They have [i]never grown that fast. Guess I'll start using it all over since you guys reminded me. I'm gonna have some long summer hair.

naturechild
March 26th, 2008, 10:27 AM
I have been lurking here for a couple of weeks and decided to just go for it. I bought the rite-aid brand with pre-filled monistat 4% applicators. The kit also included a 2% small tube. I applied it on Fri. March 21 via a small squeeze bottle. Warm water and 1 4% pre-filled tube. The warm water felt great and I could tell exactly wear I had already put it. I left it in untill untill Sun. night. Mon. Night I applied it the same way a 1" squeeze of the 2% though. I washed that out Tues. night. I usually have extremaly bad migraines but not a one with this, I did try to avoid one with ALOT of fresh air. I am planning to do this for one month (3 times a week) one with 4% and 2 w/2%. I started at 27 inches (measured right before I put the potion on) I hope to see better growth keep your fingers crossed.

OOO yeah I forgot to mention! I massage my scalp for a good long time!! I think the key may be in the combination!? I think I remember reading someone had better results from a straight cream application. Do you think that could be because you have to massage it in more?
I also am TRYING to massaging my scalp every night (hopeing my BF will take over that chore for me).

BTW what happened to our old signiture pictures?

Anje
March 26th, 2008, 12:11 PM
This is starting to really tempt me. While other lengths are "might be nice, might be too much to deal with," I really want to hit tailbone. (And I have a big bum, so tailbone's going to take a while.)

I suppose I should start taking weekly measurements for a month for a baseline first, then start, huh?

emeraldjoy
March 26th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Anje, your idea of a baseline sounds very scientific. I don't think I want to wait another month to start this up again, but I would like to compare my success with a baseline.

EmeraldIona
March 26th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Hello everyone,
Im new to this site and this is my first post. I would love to try this MN method but was a bit concerned when I read a warning against using Daktarin on the hair. No matter how carefully I would apply the cream to my scalp only, Im sure some would get onto my hair. I just want to give my growth a boost.......its usually so slow.
The ladies on this site seem to have had amazing results using this product and I was wondering if anyone knows why this warning exists and how I could best avoid getting it on my hair? Thanks, Iona

ladystar
March 26th, 2008, 06:07 PM
This is my second day applying the moni, I havent had any side affect except for maybe a Little Little slight itch here and there. But for the most part it is to soon to tell anything with growth. This time I applyed it after I washed my hair it was wet, with my finger tips and massage it in for a while.

sweetkandi
March 26th, 2008, 09:32 PM
I think I might want to try this. Im just wondering, how exactly do you mix it up? Isnt it a solid? Or are you all using a cream? (sorry if its a stupid question)

maria_asa
March 27th, 2008, 12:45 AM
I'm really interested in trying this and started to read the old thread but only got through the first page or so before LHC went down so I thought I'd ask some questions here instead. Hope you don't mind (as I'm sure all my questions were covered in the old thread).

First, does it have to be Monistat or would any cream with Miconazole Nitrate do? (We don't have Monistat over here.)
What bad effects are there? I've heard of head aches and itches but are there others too?
What has given the best results: Applying the cream as it is or mixed with warm water/oil/something else?

TIA

tiny_teesha
March 27th, 2008, 01:21 AM
I just bought some daktarin and i'm curious as to why there is a warning against this too, where did you hear about the warning?

tiny_teesha
March 27th, 2008, 04:05 AM
I just opened it and its a spray. contains benzoic acid, butylated hydroxyanisole and micanizole nitrate (20mg/ml) -which i assumed is 2%?
I'm going to have to go buy the lotion now aren't i?

DecafJane
March 27th, 2008, 04:12 AM
Oh no! The spray is actually really good for tinea, but not so great for the hair. :(

tiny_teesha
March 27th, 2008, 04:46 AM
wahhhh.... ah well...I'll have to find time again some time to get the LOTION...even though the bottle lied.....grr

EmeraldIona
March 27th, 2008, 04:48 AM
Hi Tiny Teesha,
I saw this warning when I did a google search for Daktarin. I was actually looking for the other ingredients in the creams as Daktarin comes in a green and white box for, shall we say, initmate problems, as well as a yellow one for athletes foot. Both sets of ingredients are identical......I suppose its just different marketing by the company. Anyhow, the online chemist clearly posted a warning against using Daktarin on the hair. Im not sure what to do now. Oh, the things we do for our hair.........haha

tiny_teesha
March 27th, 2008, 05:22 AM
so should we be all useing the brand monistat, not sure if it is avaliable in Australia. DecafJane is useing it. DecafJane are you noticeing bad side effects yet?

ilovelonghair
March 27th, 2008, 05:28 AM
What I did was I bought the pre-filled applicators of Monistat 4%

I don't know if you tried to see the difference in the 2% and 4%, but if you did, do you think the 4% works better?

DecafJane
March 27th, 2008, 05:29 AM
No. I have only used it three times.

suicides_eve
March 27th, 2008, 06:02 AM
i believe with the 4% you see the same amount of growth(with the 2%) just quicker time frame

it's almost time to measure i can't wait!

suicides_eve
March 27th, 2008, 06:07 AM
Hi Tiny Teesha,
I saw this warning when I did a google search for Daktarin. I was actually looking for the other ingredients in the creams as Daktarin comes in a green and white box for, shall we say, initmate problems, as well as a yellow one for athletes foot. Both sets of ingredients are identical......I suppose its just different marketing by the company. Anyhow, the online chemist clearly posted a warning against using Daktarin on the hair. Im not sure what to do now. Oh, the things we do for our hair.........haha

i know several long term users that have had success using the darkin (sadly in the old bored) it is suppose to be the equal to monistat and neopspirin AF(athleths foot) over here in the states. i don't recall any serious side effects from others then some heavy shedding the being

Xepher
March 27th, 2008, 06:43 AM
I don't know if you tried to see the difference in the 2% and 4%, but if you did, do you think the 4% works better?

Yes, I think it worked faster than the 2%((I started with 2% at first)). The headaches unfortunately were a little more painful, but yes...I do find it is better than the 2%.

Girltron
March 27th, 2008, 07:37 AM
I'll join in again on this one. I used the Rite Aid brand 3-day miconazole cream 1x per week for quite a while, and had excellent growth from it. I got concerned because of the shedding I noticed so I stopped the treatment.

In the last few weeks I've been annoyed by dry, flaky, itchy scalp to such an extent that I went back to the Miconazole, same brand and strength. Also my cat has some patches of broken hair that he seems to be itching, so I fear ringworm or some such thing. We're both using the Miconazole now.

The cream completely stopped my itching and flakes. I notice no increase in shedding, so from before that must have been seasonal. I'm still waiting for an obvious improvement in the cat's symptoms.

EmeraldIona
March 27th, 2008, 08:09 AM
i know several long term users that have had success using the darkin (sadly in the old bored) it is suppose to be the equal to monistat and neopspirin AF(athleths foot) over here in the states. i don't recall any serious side effects from others then some heavy shedding the being
thanks Eve,
I'll suspected that the warning was in reference to the MN as it is the only active ingredient in both daktarin and monistat; and most people on here seem to tolerate monistat quite well. I'll give the UK brand a go for around a month and will report my findings.

jojo
March 27th, 2008, 09:42 AM
Hello everyone,
Im new to this site and this is my first post. I would love to try this MN method but was a bit concerned when I read a warning against using Daktarin on the hair. No matter how carefully I would apply the cream to my scalp only, Im sure some would get onto my hair. I just want to give my growth a boost.......its usually so slow.
The ladies on this site seem to have had amazing results using this product and I was wondering if anyone knows why this warning exists and how I could best avoid getting it on my hair? Thanks, Iona

im a nurse and asked a dermatologist about applying daktarin to the scalp, he said it is perfectly fine to do this and in fact is sometimes prescribed with treating ringworm of the scalp, which is a fungal infection.

I found when i was applying it to dry hair loads got on my hair, so now i apply the straight cream to wet hair and have had no problems, HTH and welcome to LHC hope you stop around and get some great results x

jojo
March 27th, 2008, 09:44 AM

I was shedding loads before trying daktarin but since using it end of Dec? i shed hardly anything and i am getting nearly 1" growth a month compared to 1/2" before

EmeraldIona
March 27th, 2008, 10:59 AM
im a nurse and asked a dermatologist about applying daktarin to the scalp, he said it is perfectly fine to do this and in fact is sometimes prescribed with treating ringworm of the scalp, which is a fungal infection.

I found when i was applying it to dry hair loads got on my hair, so now i apply the straight cream to wet hair and have had no problems, HTH and welcome to LHC hope you stop around and get some great results x
Thanks Jojo,
Thats really great to hear. This is a great site!

tiny_teesha
March 28th, 2008, 02:46 AM
I have an idea for application if anyone is willing to try!!!
Get those glue tubes, that have a sort of mesh circle (http://www.millers-art.co.uk/acatalog/uhu-gluepen.gif)on the application. You screw that off from the tube (http://www.office1000.com/discount/pens-glue.html) and empty the liquid glue and wash out really well (probably a good idea to buy a water based glue) and then once it is all washed put your MN in it and then screw the cap on and apply! I think it could work! I almost bought some of those glues (http://www.createforless.com/Ad+Tech+Glue+Ad+Tech+The+Glue+Tube+1.5+oz/pid115484.aspx?SI=704a4a88-2659-42f8-a93d-42594a752336) today!

Emme76
March 28th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Wow, the results look amazing! I wish I still lived in NYC, then I could get Monistat at once and try :)!!!!
I live in Sweden now and I don´t think I can get it here...anyone from Sweden that know????:rolleyes:
Is it possible to use some other brand?? What is the active ingredient??

Thank´s...
/Emme

Javadandy
March 28th, 2008, 03:58 PM
I was shedding loads before trying daktarin but since using it end of Dec? i shed hardly anything and i am getting nearly 1" growth a month compared to 1/2" before

Jojo your results sound really good. Please tell me - how often do you apply it? ...and do you water it down and apply from a bottle or put the stuff on your fingertips? I hope you keep up the good growth!!:cheese:

Marian

stepha
March 28th, 2008, 04:11 PM
I hadn't thought about it until reading JoJo's comments, but I'm not shedding much either. I used to shed gobs, shake the head and watch the hair fly shedding, but nearly none for the last few weeks. Cool!
Am not gonna measure till Sunday, can't wait!

Nynaeve
March 28th, 2008, 08:36 PM
I have not tried this, I've been scared to due to skin sensitivity.
I do remember the old thread. Anyone form the old thread.
I remember a few women who had bald patches and thin spots
that they wanted to test this on. Any of you here and have you
had any luck growing back their problem areas?

DecafJane
March 28th, 2008, 09:50 PM
Well, I went and bought an applicator this morning, so it's on again! :D

I'm going to water it down to 50% or so and apply it now to the roots, using the applicator bottle. Hopefully it will be less messy than before - it wasn't particularly bad, but if I can make it better and easier, then I'll be even happier. :)

Edit: I just applied it using the applicator, and it was really handy - it took me a lot less time and I think I got more on my scalp than on the shafts of the hair (although it spreads onto the hair, of course). Thanks to whoever thought of that idea, way back in the old forum!

HaiirPEACE
March 29th, 2008, 08:34 AM
i am desprate for my hair to grow but.. wayyy to scared to try this one haha

LaurelSpring
March 29th, 2008, 09:55 AM
I just got this bandwagon this morning. I had some in my cabinet and used the cheap 2% kind. I am going to start with twice a week and see what happens.

Jeni
March 29th, 2008, 10:18 PM
I have decided to try this, figured what the hell. I got the 4% monistat. I am going to try 3 times a week. Just finished my first week, no headaches. My scalp has started to feel slightly itchy and dry, but that didn't start until 2 days after the last application, and I did start a new conditioner, so that may be the issue (I've stopped using the conditioner and my scalp isn't as itchy). My hair seems to grow sooooooo slowly, if this gives me 1/2" a month I'll be thrilled!

Jeni

Suldrun
March 29th, 2008, 10:39 PM
I started using MN in January. I have not been consistant at all and I have not measured. What I do notice is drastically reduced shedding even when I use it just once a week. I also notice my hairline in the front is looking thicker ( it was very thin due to a long term illness and thyroid problems) so I am very happy.

Before MN I shed tons in the drain at every wash. I now notice maybe 5 hairs all day this includes finger combing, washing and putting up ( and fiddling since I am not good at updos yet)

I have not had any negative side effects.

At some point I will stop being so lazy and measure my growth but so far I'm just happy to see my hairline coming back:) It does seem to be growing faster then normal though.

DecafJane
March 29th, 2008, 10:40 PM
Wow, Jeni, you must be a very patient person to get to 22" of hair at that rate! Good work!! I hope it helps. :)

Jeni
March 29th, 2008, 10:57 PM
Wow, Jeni, you must be a very patient person to get to 22" of hair at that rate! Good work!! I hope it helps. :)

I don't know how patient I really am, I am slathering my head in yeast infection cream 3 times a week.....:D I'm hopping this summer the growth will spread up! I've also started to take vitamins. When I was in Germany a few years ago (I was an au pair) it seamed to grow like a weed, I was always cutting it! Maybe I should stop trying to eat healthy and eat tons of bread, curry wurst, and chocolate and drink beer...?Maybe that is the fast growing hair diet I've been looking for? I wish.

Jeni

DecafJane
March 29th, 2008, 11:50 PM
I hope the warmer weather, vitamins, cream and forum help your hair. :)

Jeni
March 30th, 2008, 12:44 AM
I hope the warmer weather, vitamins, cream and forum help your hair. :)

Thanks, same to you.

Jeni

jazzy1913
March 30th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Hello all, I am new to the board but I have been reading alot. So to the point that I went to purchase the Monistat for use today. Once I saw that it also came with applicators I asked the pharmacist if there was anything that had the same MN in it that I could purchase. He actually told me that I could purchase the actual MN by itself. Is this okay to use this way or does it need to be mixed with something the way I assume the Monistat is? Thanks for any replys.

ilovelonghair
March 30th, 2008, 08:31 PM
Yes, I think it worked faster than the 2%((I started with 2% at first)). The headaches unfortunately were a little more painful, but yes...I do find it is better than the 2%.

I had no headache with 2% so I think 4% would be no problem, if only I could find it! I think the 2% has stopped working for me, but I didn't use it regularly enough in the last weeks. I find it had to keep up, as I hate greasy roots.

ladystar
March 31st, 2008, 01:16 PM
Emme76

You should try to order online

Hairstorm
March 31st, 2008, 01:52 PM
I have not tried this, I've been scared to due to skin sensitivity.
I do remember the old thread. Anyone form the old thread.
I remember a few women who had bald patches and thin spots
that they wanted to test this on. Any of you here and have you
had any luck growing back their problem areas?

I was one of those who tried it on my receded temple area. I did think it had filled in, but when I took pictures, this did not seem to be the case. HTH

Now I am trying it again, 1% Clotrimazole (because that's what I have on hand) but this time my goal is to help with flaky areas of skin/scalp.

Áine
March 31st, 2008, 02:01 PM
^ Thank you for bringing up an important point Hairstorm.

I think in some case, there may be a placebo effect going on. Although it is quite possible that the changes do not register properly on camera, I don't think we should discount the placebo effect either.

Edited to Add:

I think it is always good to be mindful of good, so-so, and negative results from using MN in this manner. There are all kinds of experiences posted here in the orginal archived thread, "Holy Moly! Growth So Fast It's Scary" (http://boardreader.com/t/Mane_Board_13475/Using_Monistat_Holy_Moly_growth_so_fast_68526.html ).

suicides_eve
March 31st, 2008, 04:20 PM
ok i am doing this early but my measurements for the month of march is 3/4 of a inch more growth. i am now a little over 15":pirate:. (and yes the pirate face is totally necessary:D.) my one year is quickly approaching 4and a half months to go! maybe i will apl by then by using my magic tube of cooter cream :magic:

how is everyone else making out?

Madam Librarian
March 31st, 2008, 04:59 PM
ok i am doing this early but my measurements for the month of march is 3/4 of a inch more growth. i am now a little over 15":pirate:. (and yes the pirate face is totally necessary:D.) my one year is quickly approaching 4and a half months to go! maybe i will apl by then by using my magic tube of cooter cream :magic:

how is everyone else making out?

I have been applying sporadically. I really wanted to say that I love that you found occasion to use the pirate smiley and the word cooter in the same post. :rollin: Not that they *should* be funny together, but it made me laugh.

ladystar
March 31st, 2008, 05:16 PM
I am going on my second week its to soon to tell.

Jeni
March 31st, 2008, 05:29 PM
I'm on my second week, and I swear I am seeing roots (I dyed my hair about a week before I started the MN). I'm pretty sure this is all in my head though....wishful thinking is making me delusional.

Jeni

stepha
March 31st, 2008, 05:29 PM
Jeni - sign me up for your diet program (minus the wurst)!
Jazzy1913- how can you buy MN by itself? I've only seen monistat type products with MN here.
OK, DH measured yesterday ( with a comment about "obsession") and the bulk is at 22 but the longest layer hit 22.5.
I put the 4% monistat in about 5 times a week, no dilution. Sometimes the hair is wet, sometimes it's dry. Massage my scalp habitually, shampoo 2-3 times a week with a VO5, and comb either with fingers or a wide prong pick. I oil 3x weekly with coconut oil mixed with almond oil (for the smell, use it as body/face lotion too), and 3xwekk with "Africa's Best Hair and Body oil". I found it by accident when on a product hunt. It's in the ethnic hair stuff section, is all natural and has nearly every great hair oil I've seen on the forum in it. As a final selling point- it's less than two US bucks a bottle. As it's soooo oily I put it on very lightly when using it a a daily oil. It lasts forever, doesn't gunk up my hair annd my hair loves it!! Oh, and do an all day condition once a week.
Not trying to be vain with the program, just want to share as it is working so well. I've gained 3 inches in less than a month. Gotta share that!

ladystar
March 31st, 2008, 05:38 PM
Stepha
3 inches in less than a month :agape:???? OMG lucky you I want that tooo:pray:. I might just go buy the oil's and everything you do. WOW!!!! So you put the Monistat 5x a week? do you wash your hair every day? and add theses oils? :confused:

Áine
March 31st, 2008, 05:42 PM
I've gained 3 inches in less than a month. Gotta share that!

:bigeyes: Wow! That's quite impressive. I think it's safe to say that you had most optimal results...

tiny_teesha
March 31st, 2008, 05:51 PM
Wow, if i could grow 3 inches a month that would be my whole years worth just about! lol
stepha, do you use all thsoe oils on the length or the scalp?

waidz
March 31st, 2008, 06:03 PM
Hi All
I re-started the Monistat Growth Poll ,with photos.
Go Here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2144)

stepha
March 31st, 2008, 06:37 PM
Wow, if i could grow 3 inches a month that would be my whole years worth just about! lol
stepha, do you use all thsoe oils on the length or the scalp?

on conditioning days I oil all over, on "regular" days I just do the length. And no matter how busy (or, more truthfully, lazy) I get. I always do the last three inches.
I've gone thru two boxes of monistat. At 12 bucks a box that's about 8 dollars an inch.
I shop goodwill, get sale items at the grocery store, don't buy jewelery, get my books from either Betterworld (http://www.betterworld.com/category.aspx?Category_ID=2372&) or the library. I'm a very inexpensive person overall. So I don't feel at all guilty about spending $12 a box for my hair. :cheer:

Jeni
March 31st, 2008, 06:40 PM
Holy crap, 3 inches in a month!!!!! I don't even know what to say.....I hate you! OK I'm kidding I don't hate you (much...:) ).

Curry Wurst is the best stuff ever! Eat it with a cone of french fries dipped in mayo=heaven. God I miss Germany....*sniffle* Sadly I think it may of been the fact that I got more exercise then I do here, and I didn't want my hair to grow (isn't that always the case?) Can you imagine how rich I'd be if I invented a diet that made hair grow and it involved ALOT if fresh bread and chocolate?!?!?

Jeni

ladystar
March 31st, 2008, 07:29 PM
jeni I would do the diet. COUNT ME IN!!!!! :cheese:

mommy2one05
March 31st, 2008, 10:34 PM
ok i am very curious about this one, but I'm a young busy mom of 2 so I can't go back and read all the messages. MN like you can buy at walmart right is supposed to make your hair grow? How exactly do you use it and how often? Are there any side effects...any chance of losing hair, etc?

Áine
March 31st, 2008, 11:55 PM
Also, here is the original thread via Border Reader.

The original "Holy Moly! Growth So Fast It's Scary!" (http://boardreader.com/t/Mane_Board_13475/Using_Monistat_Holy_Moly_growth_so_fast_68526.html ) archive thread.

KajiKodomo
April 1st, 2008, 06:54 AM
I'm extremely curious about this. How quickly do any of you go through a box of the Monistat? If I were to dilute it with water (3x a week with about an inch or two of the monistat each time) about how long do y'all think it would last?

I would probably go for the 4%, if that helps. I was just wondering, because my hubby doesn't want to spend that much if it will only get me through 1 week or so. Haha!

Thanks!

ladystar
April 1st, 2008, 08:32 AM
I applyed it twice and its about a little less than half the bottle. The first time I added water the second time I didnt because my head was wet. So it will depend on when I wash it or not how I apply it. last week I did it 2x. First time left it on for one day, the second time I left it on for 3 days. Then washed havent applyed it yet because I have a job interview and i cant go with cooter cream on my head. lol But I will tonight =)

suicides_eve
April 1st, 2008, 04:17 PM
i do 3x a week diluted water to about a inch of MN and a tube last me a bit over a month.

suicides_eve
April 1st, 2008, 04:23 PM
I've gained 3 inches in less than a month. Gotta share that!

if your getting three inches thats pretty amazing! Got any before after pics? i'm sure we all want to see the amazing growth. i know i do:D!

ive been using it for 7 months and the most i've gotten was 1.5 "

mommy2one05
April 1st, 2008, 05:04 PM
ok the monistat thread that was posted does not work. s could someone please tell me how it works. So you take the straight cream or you dilute it? Do you apply it to your all your hair...how long to leave on and how often? Should you notice significant growth within the first month? Now recently I have experienced more hair falling out while washing or combing ( I guess it's called shedding)...will this monistat help with this? Can you buy monistat over the counter at walmart? thanks bunches!!!

Jeni
April 1st, 2008, 05:31 PM
Mommy2one05- I bought the monistat at walmart, yes it's over the counter (it's by the lub and douches, at least in my walmart). This is my second week, I am doing 3 times a week with 4%. I put about an inch or so in a shot glass add a little water mix up and rub onto my scalp. I have been leaving it on for at least over night (put it on the night before a wash day), sometimes 2 nights, just depends on what I'm doing. Diluted it doesn't seem to make my roots oily. I know some people on here have said they had an increase of shedding when they first started using MN, but I believe they said that stopped and they started shedding less. (I'm new, so I could be wrong about this). Again I have just started the MN, haven't noticed an increase or decrease in shedding (I don't shed a ton though, and my hair is really fine and hard to see). I'm sure someone will pipe up soon with how fast they noticed results. I don't think everyone has gotten results, but from what I have read, many do. I say get some. try it for a month or 2, and see if it works for you.

Jeni

ladystar
April 1st, 2008, 07:14 PM
mommy2one05

You should try reading some of this thread it is very helpful to all your questions. =)

amaiaisabella
April 1st, 2008, 07:58 PM
I tried diluting it but I think I was using too much water- it just looked cloudy, and not a creamy mixture.

amaiaisabella
April 1st, 2008, 08:02 PM
Didn't mean to post there!

I had a question about when you put it on. Does anyone notice when they put it on, that their hair gets really flat and looks like there is a bald spot between the two sides of hair? I put it on my center part, and then along my back part since I put my hair into two pigtails. Once I put it on, my hair looks like it's growing further apart and leaving a line of demarcation! When I wash it out it seems fine.

I have not seen any growth though, but I only started March 27 and have been doing it every other day at night.

Áine
April 1st, 2008, 08:09 PM
ok the monistat thread that was posted does not work. s could someone please tell me how it works. So you take the straight cream or you dilute it? Do you apply it to your all your hair...how long to leave on and how often? Should you notice significant growth within the first month? Now recently I have experienced more hair falling out while washing or combing ( I guess it's called shedding)...will this monistat help with this? Can you buy monistat over the counter at walmart? thanks bunches!!!

???

I clicked the link and from my own computer it works perfectly fine. Perhaps the format of Board Reader is confusing, I can see how that can happen. But everything is there, every post in that thread should be there. It even lists the top posters in that thread too.

Happy browsing! ;)

http://img393.imageshack.us/img393/2474/monistat3yo7.png

stepha
April 1st, 2008, 08:27 PM
Warning- long post (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/member.php?u=14144)
ladystar (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/member.php?u=14144), I don't shampoo every day. Just two to three times a week. I try to keep it at two but as I work weekends at a hospital I sometimes do three. I officially wash on Wednesdays and Saturdays but if it's been germy or otherwise nasty, I'll also do it on Monday mornings ( when the work weekend is over).
Other than that you've got it right. The Africa's Best Ultimate Herbal oil has ( long list follows):
soy bean oil, walnut seed oil, kiwi fruit extract, olive fruit oil, caster seed oil, sesame seed oil, jojoba seed oil, carrot seed oil, sweet almond oil, tocopheryl acetate ( I think this is just vit. e), safflower oil, calendula extract, carrageenan extract, ginseng extract, sage extract, comfrey extract, aloe extract, fragrance.
"fragrance" worries me a little, but everything else looks natural and healthy. It' got just about everything I've read about on the forums - except emu oil. After looking it up, emu oil seems an unpleasant product. Bad for the emu.
I really wanted to use the MN every day but am forgetful. The fast growth is most likely because my scalp has been really bad for a long time. Lots of dandruff, it wasn't pretty. It's been dandruffy ever since I moved to Tn - 18 years ago. Nothing worked long term. The monastat has drastically decreased that. So the growth is probably just the scalp's sigh of relief. It will most likely settle down after awhile.
I'd LOVE to get ten more inches first though!

mommy2one05
April 1st, 2008, 08:50 PM
Áine (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/member.php?u=10932): No it's not that it is confusing. My computer brings up the page that shows the links and the people who posted just like the copy you posted, BUT it is when you click on a link that it will not come up. I am a smart person. Thanks for the help though and have a nice day!:)

stepha
April 1st, 2008, 09:15 PM
Ok, I haven't been taking pictures nor have I uploaded one before. I've got the picture in my email box and on my hard drive. I'm working out how to upload it to a post. All I've figured out so far is that the img didn't take when I pasted the location in the email, and that I don't know how to upload yet. Any short instructions? I did read the FAQ, it seemed to say that wrapping the http in img tags would work. Maybe the url is too long. Anyway, I'm working on it. Photo soon. Maybe.

DH was a D and took the picture (thought he'd like to be acknowledged!)

stepha
April 1st, 2008, 09:31 PM
OK, this isn't a good solution, but it'll have to do. I created a blog and sent it there. It's got no ads, no redirects and no links. It's just a photo - no dancing ponies...yet.
http://hairphotos.blogspot.com/

ladystar
April 2nd, 2008, 08:04 AM
stepha Thanks for your help, to bad I cant see the link to your picture cause they hav eit blocked at my job, I will try to see it later when I get home =)

Also I am going to look for The Africa's Best Ultimate Herbal oil.
Thanks =)

jojo
April 2nd, 2008, 08:18 AM
mommy2one05

You should try reading some of this thread it is very helpful to all your questions. =)
i second that! it does get quite frustrating having to constantly repeat stuff, not being rude or anything but it really does help to read it thoroughly so you are aware of all the facts, again no offence:)

mommy2one05
April 2nd, 2008, 09:17 AM
Sorry but I guess some people don't realize how it is when you are a busy mother of a toddler and an infant because then you don't have time to sit on the computer all day and read 16 pages of posts. So being new to these I thought somebody would be nice and be a friend and maybe explain it to me, but I forgot we are in 2008 it's all about yourself. Thanks anyways...so if anyone feels the same let me know.

KajiKodomo
April 2nd, 2008, 09:53 AM
Suicides Eve, thanks! That's perfect! I may just try it, if it will actually last that long! :-D

lilalong
April 2nd, 2008, 10:36 AM
I tried it yesterday evening for the first time.
I took the 2% and diluted it in water.
Just before I went to bed.

This morning I woke up with a big, fat headache, which doesn't go away, even with painkillers.
I'm not sure if the treatment is to fault for this, as I have been a bit sick before.

I will wait till I'm completely recovered, and till it's a weekend ad try again. If this happens again, I fear, Monistat is not for me. :(

ladystar
April 2nd, 2008, 10:46 AM
lilalong

The first 2x I applied it I got small headache I took some pain killers and I was fine. Last night I applied again and I havent had one yet :D. Good luck I hope it does work for you!!!! :p

Áine
April 2nd, 2008, 12:43 PM
Sorry but I guess some people don't realize how it is when you are a busy mother of a toddler and an infant because then you don't have time to sit on the computer all day and read 16 pages of posts. So being new to these I thought somebody would be nice and be a friend and maybe explain it to me, but I forgot we are in 2008 it's all about yourself. Thanks anyways...so if anyone feels the same let me know.

Mommy2,

I understand that you are indeed crunched for time. Many members are also in the motherhood club, and can fully empathize. Likewise, as new as you are (don't know if you lurked the old LHC site at all) it can be a bit frustrating to come upon something unfamiliar, only to find that everybody seems to have adopted acronyms and special lingo. Basically, this thread is a continuation of the old 100+ page (if my memory serves me correctly) original Monistat thread, so people are generally hitting the ground running here.

Please do not take offense, we are not trying to ignore you. But I hope you understand that we have had people in the past just come in on a thread at page 40, and ask stuff like "What is Miconazole Nitrate"? Questions like that will generally be ignored because there is a wealth of information preceding that page. The vast majority of members took the time to read through and then post new and thoughtful questions, or asked for something to be clarified. I know 16 pages might seem long, but even if it takes you a few days to get through all of it, it is well worth the read. You can even quickly graze through a few posts and get the general gist of things if you don't feel like reading the whole thing.

Steve<3
April 2nd, 2008, 12:57 PM
I am jumping back on this wagon. I used it towards the end of last year, and had good results: decreased shedding (which is why I started using it), and my monthly growth rate doubled from my usual 0.5" to 1" per month.

My scalp's been a bit itchy lately, and it has inspired me to start using MN again. If I can decrease my shed rate again, I'll be really happy. I'm using Daktarin lotion with 2&#37; MN. I resumed using it a couple of nights ago. Like last time, I didn't experience any side effects or headaches after applying it. I apply it the night before I wash my hair.

I'll check back in here in about a month with results :)

Madam Librarian
April 2nd, 2008, 02:35 PM
Some are too busy to read previous posts, but some are also too busy to summarize them for others. There are two sides to every coin. No offense meant to either side of said coin. :shrug:

I guess I am back on the bandwagon with this. I have roughly doubled the amount I am applying. I used a pea sized dab my first go round. This time, I am using about 3/4 inch as it squeezes out of the tube. I increased the amount mostly because I was tired of having this tube of cream laying around and I don't like to waste. I guess time will tell if more is better.

Jeni
April 2nd, 2008, 03:17 PM
Mommy2one05- I did answer you, at least I thought I answered the questions you were asking. I completely understand you are new, so am I, and I understand you are busy with children, but I'm not quiet sure what you are wanting people to tell you. I summarized what I do and what I remember reading about MN on this site, what else are you wanting to know? Can't help you with the link, it worked for me. Here's a tip, don't insult the people you are wanting to help you. I have been lurking on this site for awhile, and it seems to me that almost everyone is very willing to help people, but they have lives too.

Jeni

suicides_eve
April 2nd, 2008, 03:44 PM
???

I clicked the link and from my own computer it works perfectly fine. Perhaps the format of Board Reader is confusing, I can see how that can happen. But everything is there, every post in that thread should be there. It even lists the top posters in that thread too.

Happy browsing! ;)

http://img393.imageshack.us/img393/2474/monistat3yo7.png hahaha i see my name on there lol:toofers:

suicides_eve
April 2nd, 2008, 03:47 PM

chill out , all were saying is that more then likely every on of your question can be answered on the first 2 pages (applying, diluting mixtures, brands..)
I am a mother to a toddler too and i still have time to have my own life. just saying..

Garnett
April 2nd, 2008, 05:41 PM
Did we ever find out if the Miconazole can be bought on its own? I'm vegan and from memory, I don't think that Monistat (or a generic treatment) is vegan. If I could buy the M on its own and mix it myself, that would be awesome. And animal-friendly.

btw, I can't believe I caught this thread before it reached 70 pages. I was on about page 40ish when the old board went byebye. I'm caught up! WOO!

Áine
April 2nd, 2008, 05:59 PM
^ Hi Garnett! *waves*

Well, from my understanding, getting raw MN would be a bit difficult to handle. It is not water soluble, mixes okay with alcohol (bad for hair), and would probably turn chunky in oil (no cohesive properties there). And then, there is the business of getting a precise amount. Something as little as 2&#37; or 4% probably needs to be weighed out on a sensitive digital balance (not a scale). It's just easier to buy it pre-made.

Garnett
April 2nd, 2008, 06:17 PM
ah okay. I'll keep on the lookout for a vegan version. Thanks!

suicides_eve
April 2nd, 2008, 06:32 PM
if i remeber correctly wasn't there a pet medication web site that sold it strictly as the Miconazole nitrate i think it was petrx.com or something along those lines, Garnett maybe your could start your search there and see what you end up with, there is a cow and horse store next door to me and if i can remember i will ask them about it tommorow

ladystar
April 2nd, 2008, 08:47 PM
Ok this is the best way that I have found to apply it on my scalp I think someone else suggested this, but here is a picture.:p
I added warm water.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b233/ladystar21/marchmonistat.jpg

chloeishere
April 2nd, 2008, 10:08 PM
Ok this is the best way that I have found to apply it on my scalp I think someone else suggested this, but here is a picture.:p
I added warm water.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b233/ladystar21/marchmonistat.jpg

This is exactly what I do. :D

Nothing to report here, so I've just been checking in every few days and reading. I continue to apply and will take my monthly picture at the appointed time (around the 18th).

Garnett
April 3rd, 2008, 12:12 AM
Thank you for that link, suicides eve. I will look into it and let y'all know what I find out.

ilovelonghair
April 3rd, 2008, 12:53 AM
I went to the chemist yesterday and noticed there are actually many many varieties of miconazole. I have been using one of the Daktarin brand. They don't sell 4% ones here, but there is actually a new version now: ketoconazole. I don't know if that would still work, it's different. Anybody knows?

Xepher
April 3rd, 2008, 08:10 AM

I could swear I saw two or three people quote and respond to you on the previous page. Be patient =/

KajiKodomo
April 3rd, 2008, 11:28 AM
I'm planning on going out and buying some of the Wal-Mart knock off brand of the Monistat tonight. I'm not sure what my growth is averaging these days, but before I cut it all off and stopped measuring, I was growing anywhere from 1/2 inch to 1 inch a month (depending on season, so I think I should be growing 1/2 inch on a normal month right about now).

I'm planning on buying the 7-day pack (2% mixture), and trying to find a hair dye bottle (if not, I'll try to find some bottle that will work for the purpose). I plan on using about an inch or so 3 times a week (probably MWF), and diluting it with water.

I'll let everyone know updates! And I'll also post in my journal, if anyone wants to read it.

I am hoping that along with faster growth, that my shed rate decreases. Although I still have very thick hair, I shed over 100 hairs a day on average (more on a wash day). We sweep the bathroom floor once a week, but considering the size of our bathroom (tiny!), and how much I shed, it builds up to be quite a lot of hair by then! We tend to vacuum up almost as much of my hair as we do our kittie's hair!

I also tend to have an itchy scalp, and am hoping that it will help with that as well. :D

wintersun99
April 3rd, 2008, 11:38 AM
If you are going to use the 'knockoffs' then it may be worth it to set up a trial period, I have read (I think on the original thread, can't remember) that others have noticed the generic brands are not working as well as the name brand, (Monistat).

KajiKodomo
April 3rd, 2008, 12:20 PM
Yeah, I'm planning on "trying" it for a month or so to see what kind of results I get (if it makes my hair super greasy, etc.). If it works out well, at least in one aspect (less itchy, less shedding, more growth, etc.) then I plan on buying the name brand stuff.

filiadeluna
April 3rd, 2008, 02:19 PM
I think I want to try this, but I would be too embarassed to purchase it! LMAO. I'm 25... you'd think I would be over it, but I guess since I've never had an infection *down there* I would be embarrassed because people would assume I have one. If I bought it, I'd go to some random store on the other end of town nowhere near where I normally shop. I wouldn't want them to recognize me. :o Is that weird?

ladystar
April 3rd, 2008, 03:01 PM
Filiadeluna

HAHA. Me personally I really don’t care if I don’t know the person it doesn’t bother me. I bought it here at the Walgreens by my job lol. I really wasn’t embarrassed just maybe a little because it was a guy, but I was on the phone so I kind of ignored him. HEE HEE You can also try to get it online. :shrug:

stepha
April 3rd, 2008, 03:48 PM
Filiadeluna, Yes!
It embarrasses me. Even tho when pregnant I always seemed to get a infection. Not a nice thing to admit, but true. I would go to a store away from my usual haunts, now I just run through the self-check lane. And I'm 41, married 19 years and have 4 kids. You'd think I'd have out grown embarrassment by now. Honestly, I have a friend who writes "Blaze" - style harlequins and I can't even read her manuscripts past chapter two without going red. Some of us are just natural prudes (no insult intended). :oops:

filiadeluna
April 3rd, 2008, 04:37 PM
Filiadeluna

HAHA. Me personally I really don’t care if I don’t know the person it doesn’t bother me. I bought it here at the Walgreens by my job lol. I really wasn’t embarrassed just maybe a little because it was a guy, but I was on the phone so I kind of ignored him. HEE HEE You can also try to get it online. :shrug:

Teehee. True... duh. I didn't even THINK about Wal-Mart. I could get the name brand stuff there still, but go through the self check-out. LOL.

Filiadeluna, Yes!
It embarrasses me. Even tho when pregnant I always seemed to get a infection. Not a nice thing to admit, but true. I would go to a store away from my usual haunts, now I just run through the self-check lane. And I'm 41, married 19 years and have 4 kids. You'd think I'd have out grown embarrassment by now. Honestly, I have a friend who writes "Blaze" - style harlequins and I can't even read her manuscripts past chapter two without going red. Some of us are just natural prudes (no insult intended). :oops:

LOL. I'm one of those people that gets embarrassed about discussing such things in front of strangers or my family, and more specifically - older adults. As far as being shy about sexual things around friends though? Not much at all. My friends and I all say lots of dirty things when we hang out (in jest of course)... we are just silly. Of course, it helps when we are drinking. Haha.

Jeni
April 3rd, 2008, 04:46 PM
Filiadeluna- Im also 25 and feel the same way(I'm a weeny). Self check outs at walmart are fantastic. While it's slightly embarrassing to buy yeast infection cream, it's more embarrassing (to me) to be seen buying it every month, or in bulk. Cause I'm totally sure the people at the super walmart will remember me, out of the 50 trillion people a day they see....

Jeni

suicides_eve
April 3rd, 2008, 06:06 PM
LOL yall crack me up:laugh: i used to be that way when buying condoms:doh:

Jeni
April 3rd, 2008, 06:25 PM
See, condoms, don't embarrass me at all. I have bought them from the drug store near my house where I'm sure the the little old lady thinks I'm...busy. My friend got married and we "decorated" her house with condoms blown up as balloons, so I bought like 5 boxes....got some interesting looks from her.

filiadeluna
April 3rd, 2008, 06:35 PM
Haha. I'm still somewhat embarrassed to buy condoms, and even tampons! Go figure. I used to make my husband buy the condoms most of the time, or pick them up at the health department for free. We don't have to buy condoms anymore though, since we're TTC. :p

banglaminerva
April 3rd, 2008, 07:23 PM
Just posting this since I say it today. I just decided to try the brand name version as soon as my generic tube finishes so I didn't pick it up, but at a Dollar Tree today, I saw a 2&#37; 16oz generic tube. I have no idea if it would be worth it or what, though. Sometimes, you really do get what you pay for.

Dark Rosaleen
April 3rd, 2008, 08:31 PM
I don't remember seeing this when looking through the thread: how long do you keep it on your scalp? Overnight?

Thanks.

DecafJane
April 3rd, 2008, 08:34 PM
For as long as you want. ;) I know that sounds glib, but it is true.

As it makes my scalp greasy, I put it on the day before I wash, which ends up being about 3 times per week.

You can leave it on your scalp for as long as you want, I think of it like a moisturiser, or the same way I would if I were using it for tinea.

stepha
April 3rd, 2008, 11:35 PM
I don't take it out. Until it's time to wash my hair. Every day ( or so, about 5 days week in practice) I put in about an inch. It isn't greasey to my hair, but then I don't use a carrier oil.

ladystar
April 4th, 2008, 07:00 AM
I leave it in till my next wash 2 to 5 days. Sometimes I reapply on it the day before I wash. It doesn’t make my hair greasy, although I have seen my hair a bit more flakey, and the shedding is the same as before I tried Monistat, I think I am going to buy nizoral shampoo and see if that helps.

thunderlilies
April 4th, 2008, 08:37 AM
Well, I tried some Monistat for the first time last night - the 2% stuff - rubbed it on my scalp. Within a minute I was dizzy. All evening I felt heavy-headed and dizzy... this morning it's better, but I don't think I'll be trying that again any time soon... Just thought I'd post my reaction to it, so others may be aware :)

suicides_eve
April 4th, 2008, 08:48 AM
yes its a known side effect that and headaches, i suffered from very bad migraines the first few time using it full strength out of the tube, i then diluted the mixture with water and haven't had any problems since. Maybe you could give that a try before you count it out all together?

suicides_eve
April 4th, 2008, 08:51 AM
Haha. I'm still somewhat embarrassed to buy condoms, and even tampons! Go figure. I used to make my husband buy the condoms most of the time, or pick them up at the health department for free. We don't have to buy condoms anymore though, since we're TTC. :p

yeah a warning to all watch out for them health department condoms.... i have living proof of there reliability- shes almost 3 eek!!

done hijacking:magic:

dontcallmejessi
April 4th, 2008, 10:33 AM
I was using 3 times a week (before the board changeover) and spread cream on the fingertips method of application. TONS of growth and veritually no shedding compared with normally shedding tons.

Also I had a soft sensitive area on the crown of my head that was always sore, that went away when I was using MN. Well when I quite using it came back. wonder what it is? I thought it might have to do with my heavy hair clips because it hurts there when I wear them. but if anyone knows what this is please do share!

Also if I only used once a week I noticed no growth. Only if I used 3 times a week. So how often it is applied is directly related to how quickly growth appears, at least for me.

ladystar
April 4th, 2008, 12:55 PM
I have a spot on my head that feels sore also. The Monistat didn’t take it away. For me I think it’s due to having it up all week. It starts to hurt, as a matter of fact I am dying to get home so I can take it down and wash it.

dontcallmejessi
April 4th, 2008, 06:41 PM
I have a spot on my head that feels sore also. The Monistat didn’t take it away. For me I think it’s due to having it up all week. It starts to hurt, as a matter of fact I am dying to get home so I can take it down and wash it.

I think you're right about it being from wearing up all the time. i have been trying to extend the time between washings so for me this means wearing it up more after about 2nd day onward to hide the greasy ickies :rolleyes:. I had bought some really pretty but rather heavy hair clips. So maybe that is what did it. It just seemed weird that it stopped hurting when i was using MN. Maybe it was a coincidence :shrug: or maybe I wore the new clips wrong and it pulled too much.

ladystar
April 5th, 2008, 09:37 PM
When I wear it clip it doesnt hurt my head just ponytails and after like 3 days. It is weird for the MN to make it go away. Hmmm

Isilya
April 6th, 2008, 07:24 AM
Well, I'm going to try this too. Yesterday evening I rubbed a little less than 1 inch of undiluted Daktarin (2%) on my scalp and washed it out this morning. Applying was a bit difficult, but I managed. It didn't itch at night and I didn't get a headache :cheese:. I'm planning on using Daktarin twice a week, because I only wash my hair twice a week. If I notice any process, I will report back.

peachy.pudding
April 6th, 2008, 08:04 AM
No offence - but this is very very crazy, foot medication on your scalp that gives you headaches. You get a few milimeters more of growth which is proberly due to the summer/spring. I think its crazy, i would not reccomend it, it has side effects and worst of all, with a little patience you may discover hair grows on its own.

If your have sideeffects it means your body is giving out warning signals. if this did work so well and people got inches per month etc, then dont you think someone would be selling this stuff.

Is it worth putting this stuff on your poor scalp 3 times per week 12 times per month and 156 times per year? All for the sake of what an inch. This is crazy and i strongly suggest people do their own private research and not get carried away and then find their hair on the floor later

birdiefu
April 6th, 2008, 10:58 AM
Peachy.pudding- I would hope that everyone who starts using this looks in to it first before jumping in, I know I did. Yes, it is a medication, but one that has been used for scalp applications in some circumstances, and often for very long-term use. We aren't the first people to put in on our scalp, although we are using it for off-label purposes (increasing growth rate). Side effects of this drug can be found in the info pamphlet or online, and some people don't get any side effects (like me). But for me, one of the reasons I wanted to use it in addition to potential growth was to see if it would help with my gunky scalp, as scalp fungus can often be a subtle, yet common cause of dandruff.

Also, using this product for it's intended purpose (you know...female area) actually absorbs into the system more than using it on the scalp, as that is a mucus membrane. Used down there, 1&#37; of the drug gets into your system, while used on regular intact skin, less that 0.1% gets absorbed.

I second that anyone who is interested in using MN to research it a bit first. Some people may get side effects- many have figured out ways to minimize or eliminate them by diluting or decreasing the frequency of application. I'm sure there are also many people who think the risk or hassle outweighs any benefits- and that is their choice, just as it's my choice to put coochie-cream on my head :P.

peachy.pudding
April 6th, 2008, 11:05 AM
Peachy.pudding- I would hope that everyone who starts using this looks in to it first before jumping in, I know I did. Yes, it is a medication, but one that has been used for scalp applications in some circumstances, and often for very long-term use. We aren't the first people to put in on our scalp, although we are using it for off-label purposes (increasing growth rate). Side effects of this drug can be found in the info pamphlet or online, and some people don't get any side effects (like me). But for me, one of the reasons I wanted to use it in addition to potential growth was to see if it would help with my gunky scalp, as scalp fungus can often be a subtle, yet common cause of dandruff.

Also, using this product for it's intended purpose (you know...female area) actually absorbs into the system more than using it on the scalp, as that is a mucus membrane. Used down there, 1% of the drug gets into your system, while used on regular intact skin, less that 0.1% gets absorbed.

I second that anyone who is interested in using MN to research it a bit first. Some people may get side effects- many have figured out ways to minimize or eliminate them by diluting or decreasing the frequency of application. I'm sure there are also many people who think the risk or hassle outweighs any benefits- and that is their choice, just as it's my choice to put coochie-cream on my head :P.

Thank you that was very well explained

ladystar
April 8th, 2008, 10:27 AM
Last night was my 5th application. 2 week’s applying Monistat and no major growth so far :shrug: . At first I thought that my hair was flaky but then I realized it’s just the Monistat that dried up, hee hee I just put water over the top of my head and it went away. My hair is still shedding like normal and it just itches a little bit when I first put it on but no more head aches. :cheese:

JasmineDaisy
April 8th, 2008, 12:32 PM
Has anyone tried putting Monistat on their eyebrows? I am trying to grow my eyebrows out and it is taking forever!

Steve<3
April 8th, 2008, 01:28 PM
I don't remember seeing this when looking through the thread: how long do you keep it on your scalp? Overnight?

Thanks.
Like others have said, it really depends. I think I read somewhere in the old thread that the ingredients are active for about 3 days. I usually keep it on for a little under 24 hours. I put it on at night before bed, and then wash my hair the following evening.

Hairstorm
April 9th, 2008, 01:33 PM
Has anyone tried putting Monistat on their eyebrows? I am trying to grow my eyebrows out and it is taking forever!

Yes, I tried it because I have flaky skin there, and it is helping. My eyebrow hair is unchanged. I am not using the Monistat, but clotrimazole.

2BThinAgain
April 9th, 2008, 08:08 PM
I am going to try this since I am virtually starting over at pixie. I'd love to get 3 inches in a month....awesome!!!
Will let you know the results:)

Deb in UpState NY
possibly moving to FL

jojo
April 10th, 2008, 12:56 AM
Like others have said, it really depends. I think I read somewhere in the old thread that the ingredients are active for about 3 days. I usually keep it on for a little under 24 hours. I put it on at night before bed, and then wash my hair the following evening.

i put mine on, on a sunday and its there until i wash it again 3 days later! ive had no problems:cheese:

XtinaXposed
April 10th, 2008, 03:42 AM
i had no complications the first time i applied it but the second time my scalp was itching like hell. i have to say that i used it pure the first time but mixed with water the second. btw, no head aches at all.

Garnett
April 10th, 2008, 10:57 AM
I am on a serious mission to find some that I can use. I WILL find vegan monistat. I WILL grow ten inches next month!

suicides_eve
April 10th, 2008, 03:29 PM
still no luck there garnett?

if you find it and it dose give you 10 inches in 1 month, you had better be lettin all of us in on your little secret :waving::D

biggeorge
April 11th, 2008, 07:30 AM
I think I want to try this, but I would be too embarassed to purchase it!

Just imagine the looks I'm going to get when I walk up to the druggist and ask for this, which I'm about to do shortly. I'm sure it will raise a few eyebrows!

And if they ask, I'll just wink http://www.cosgan.de/images/midi/verschiedene/f010.gif at them and tell them that it's personal!

Iylivarae
April 13th, 2008, 12:06 PM
How about triggering fungal resistences by using anti-fungal creams without having to do so?

I'm a bit worried about this, do you know anything about this issue?

waidz
April 13th, 2008, 03:37 PM
Iylivarae , very interesting question.

Common sense (and some research (http://ww2.aegis.com/pubs/beta/1995/be952633.html)) would tell us that if we had a persistent vaginal fungal infection and used MN to treat it, there is a complication that could arise from natural or acquired drug resistance on the part of the disease causing organizm.
However if there is no disease causing organizm on your head, to become drug resistant to the MN, then there should be no risk.

This is my opinion, would have to consult with a professional for a scientific and medicaly accurate answer :)

nayver
April 13th, 2008, 04:21 PM
I've been using 2% Miconazole (Daktarin in the EU) and I'm seeing a good progress on my growth...but (as you can see in my avatar) it seems to be growing uneven...Have you had the same experience?

Druid of Alba
April 13th, 2008, 05:02 PM
Is monistat healthy and safe for hair use? Are there any negative side-effects? Thanks...

Jeni
April 13th, 2008, 05:13 PM
I believe some people got headaches, I never did. And I think some people noticed more shedding (again I didn't), but then the shedding was supposed to slow down. I think those are the 2 main side effects people have noticed.

Jeni

Nyght
April 13th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Does anyone know if this is safe while breastfeeding? Thanks!

tiny_teesha
April 13th, 2008, 08:43 PM
biggeorge- you are hilarious!!!!!
I am thinking since someone (can't remember who) used the stuff i bought in their hair i may give it a shot, do it a few times. See what happens.

birdiefu
April 13th, 2008, 08:49 PM
Does anyone know if this is safe while breastfeeding? Thanks!

I'm also nursing and I am using this. I have a copy of Dr. Hale's "Medications and Mother's Milk". He lists Miconazole as an L2 (safer) drug to use while nursing. Some info from his listing that may help you decide:

After intervaginal application, approximately 1% of the dose is absorbed systemically. After topical application, there is little or no absorption (0.1%). It is unlikely that the limited absorption of miconazole from vaginal application would produce significant milk levels...Miconazole is commonly used in pediatric patients less than 1 year of age.

He also listed Pediatric concerns as "None reported via milk".

Considering that being used on the scalp, it is absorbed less than the 'usual' application area, and also less amount of cream is used per scalp application (unless you are using a whole tube), any risk would be very minimal. But it's up to you to decide if you want to try it while nursing.

HTH!

meichigo
April 14th, 2008, 01:56 AM
I'm really intrigued by this idea but don't want to wade through 22 pages... Could someone perhaps write a guide...?

Jeni
April 14th, 2008, 03:33 AM
I'm really intrigued by this idea but don't want to wade through 22 pages... Could someone perhaps write a guide...?

what would you like to know?

Jeni

meichigo
April 14th, 2008, 03:41 AM
A rough breakdown of what products are available and the success levels generally associated with each, the procedure for application (where, how, how much, how often), and the side affects (which I've heard mentioned in passing but not actually defined)... That sort of thing would be really helpful.

waidz
April 14th, 2008, 06:49 AM
Lol Meichigo - you will be lucky if you do get someone to do this.
On my first discovery of this on the old site - I had to wade through hundreds of pages never mind 23 just to understand all of it before I tried it.

The simple response to your questions is :

Monistat is the popular choice of vaginal anti-fungal cream to use.

Usage varies between personal preference and time - some use it once a week, others every day. I use it 3x a week.

You massage as much as you need, as is onto your scalp using your fingertips, or mix it with Castor Oil or any other growth oils. Most effective results achieved with 4&#37; Monistat mixed with Castor Oil.

Most report growth.

Rarely reported head aches.

Rarely reported shedding.

Rarely reported tingling or itchiness.

No major side effects.

Same solution used to treat oral yeast infections in babies.

Growth speeded up to double - i.e. if you normally grow at 1/2 inch a month, it could double to 1" a month.

Personally, I achieved faster growth with it. Have been using it on and off for 2.5 months. No side effects whatsoever.

If you really want to get more information it really is helpful to read through the pages before it grows to 100.

ladystar
April 14th, 2008, 06:59 AM
[quote=waidz;63535]

You massage as much as you need, as is onto your scalp using your fingertips, or mix it with Castor Oil or any other growth oils. Most effective results achieved with 4% Monistat mixed with Castor Oil.
quote]

You can also use warm water. =)

Madam Librarian
April 14th, 2008, 07:06 AM
To be fair to those asking for a summary, there doesn't seem to be anything on the first post or even the first page of the thread that outlines the process. Perhaps someone could dig up the 1st post from the old LHC thread and repost here? I tried to get at it, but I've got work to do this morning and can't spend much time on the Innerwebs right now. Maybe one of the first posters could edit their post to include this info. I would be glad to help re-write the post if need be.

If I have overlooked a summary on this thread, I apologize. I did a quick and dirty search where I thought a newbie to the thread would be most likely to look and found nothing.

I'm not excusing anyone from doing their homework and reading a thread before posting basic questions, but it seems as if we could do a better job of making the information available to those who want to take the time to research.

mitabird
April 14th, 2008, 08:10 AM
I'm going to jump on this bandwagon and buy some today. I do have a question that doesn't appear to have been asked/answered. If it has, I apologize. Does it need to be applied to damp/wet hair? Does it make for easier distribution that way? Thanks.

ladystar
April 14th, 2008, 08:31 AM
I'm going to jump on this bandwagon and buy some today. I do have a question that doesn't appear to have been asked/answered. If it has, I apologize. Does it need to be applied to damp/wet hair? Does it make for easier distribution that way? Thanks.

I try to apply it when wet. If not I apply it with warm water mixed.

Madam Librarian
April 14th, 2008, 08:31 AM
I applied straight to damp hair and it does spread easier for me that way. When I tried to apply to dry hair, I just made a snarly mess.

meichigo
April 15th, 2008, 10:02 PM
I think waidz did an excellent job :) Thank you very much<3

I'm really interested to try this out because right now my hair feels "short" (compared to how long I am used to it being), but at the same time I'm slightly apprehensive because it seems like it'd be a bit socially awkward... ;) Maybe that should be in the guide; how to buy it without feeling self-conscious!

Jeni
April 16th, 2008, 01:52 AM
I think waidz did an excellent job :) Thank you very much<3

I'm really interested to try this out because right now my hair feels "short" (compared to how long I am used to it being), but at the same time I'm slightly apprehensive because it seems like it'd be a bit socially awkward... ;) Maybe that should be in the guide; how to buy it without feeling self-conscious!

Self checkouts!!!

Jeni

mommy2one05
April 16th, 2008, 07:11 AM
To be fair to those asking for a summary, there doesn't seem to be anything on the first post or even the first page of the thread that outlines the process. Perhaps someone could dig up the 1st post from the old LHC thread and repost here? I tried to get at it, but I've got work to do this morning and can't spend much time on the Innerwebs right now. Maybe one of the first posters could edit their post to include this info. I would be glad to help re-write the post if need be.

If I have overlooked a summary on this thread, I apologize. I did a quick and dirty search where I thought a newbie to the thread would be most likely to look and found nothing.

I'm not excusing anyone from doing their homework and reading a thread before posting basic questions, but it seems as if we could do a better job of making the information available to those who want to take the time to research.

thank you! at least I was not the only one who WAS reading the thread but still not finding it...and when I asked people bit my head off.

naturechild
April 16th, 2008, 07:51 AM
Update: I tryed the cheapo dollar store kind and gor one whoppen migraine!!! plus it had mineral oil in it. Back to the good stuff I go!!!

Note I am seeing ALMOST double growth. !!

ladystar
April 16th, 2008, 12:38 PM
So far I have been using it for 3 weeks, and I have not seen a difference at all.:shrug:

I am using the 2&#37; monistat and I dilute it with water. I am going to measure today but I haven't seen any growth that I can tell.

suicides_eve
April 16th, 2008, 06:03 PM
this is my last post from TBB

ok i have been my own little at home test on which gives me the best result and i was amazed..

--the generic stuff bought from the Family Dollar store ($5) is just not working i usually dilute my mixture,but i even applied full strength for a whole week and i got squat. It also is hard to mix, it stays somewhat chunky even after a vigorous shaking. It is not as greasy as the brand below

--the Walgreen's generic stuff($9) did actually work, it is nearly identical to the Family Dollar brand ingredient list but i received a very good amount of growth using it. it mixes easyier but i find it more greasy then the other brand.

--Walmart brand ($9) didn't cut it for me either.it mixed well but i could detected a faint smell of the stuff once in a while, i know others had to notice it too

--Monisat($13) i believe i received the most hair growth from using this, it mixed well and i didn't have a really bad case of the greasies, down side it is rather expense

I will more then likely be sticking with my Walgreen's brand as it is cheaper and right up the road. these are my experiences and everyone's will be different just thought i would share. i have been doing the MN thing since Oct and just love the hair growthhttp://chatter.thebeautybottle.com/images/smilies/grinhappy.gif

i have been averaging about 1" of growth per months using it 3x a week( without it, i was not quite getting a 1/2"), i diluted in a pointed type bottle (rinsed out hair dye bottle)
my first few applications caused serious headaches, but i have built up a tolerance to it i suppose..
its great for getting rid of scabby/flaking/itchy head

I apply daktarin (the coochie cream one) to freshly washed hair whilst still wet. I only use once a week, was using 3 times a week and got a tender spot, when i cut down this went though.

i have noticed baby hair sprouts around my temples sticking up, the ends are tapered so its not breakage.

I will be measuring in the Beginning of April.
is that the kinda of information your looking for? i am finding all this stuff on the first few pages , shoot there are even growth pictures in the begining on page 3 or 4 posted by the lovely haired waidz

and no one was "bitting your head off" mommy2one05, we all answered your question the first time around

EmeraldIona
April 17th, 2008, 05:23 AM
Here is a thread I found from the old LHC. Its quite long, but I certainly found it interesting and well worth a look. HTH

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1209

Madam Librarian
April 17th, 2008, 06:13 AM
That's not the old LHC, but it is a good source of info for the Monsitat treatment. :) I've spent a lot of time reading up on Monistat over there.

EmeraldIona
April 17th, 2008, 06:15 AM
Oops. Sorry. Hope it helps anyway :)

Madam Librarian
April 17th, 2008, 07:05 AM
No need to apologize! I just wanted to point out that it is indeed a different hair forum. They do have some great info on Monistat, Mane Tail Groom (MTG), and a bunch of other growth aids. It's good reading.

mommy2one05
April 17th, 2008, 09:23 AM
Here is a thread I found from the old LHC. Its quite long, but I certainly found it interesting and well worth a look. HTH

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1209

thanks for the link...very helpful
who knows I may join the bandwagon
should I wait till the end of the month so I can measure and know what my normal growth rate for a month is?

Madam Librarian
April 17th, 2008, 09:31 AM
should I wait till the end of the month so I can measure and know what my normal growth rate for a month is?

At least that long. If you're still mulling it over after you measure, go ahead and wait another month.

If you don't know your own baseline, you can't fairly determine whether your experiment has helped. If you jump right in and grow an inch of hair in a month of using Monistat, you might think, "Yay! Monistat is awesome!" But you'll never really know if you would have grown that inch in a month anyway. That might be your natural growth rate, and then Monistat wouldn't have done a thing for you.

This same thing is one of my gripes about the results pictures out there on the web. The pictures tend to be pre-Monistat and post-Monistat. I would prefer to see a pre-pre-Monistat picture showing the normal growth over the same period of time that the Monistat was used. That would give a better picture of the growth a person could expect during X amount of time v. the growth they actually got while using Monistat. Some ladies do get a wild amount of growth, but I always wonder if they aren't fast growers to begin with.

Nyght
April 17th, 2008, 02:52 PM
I'm also nursing and I am using this. I have a copy of Dr. Hale's "Medications and Mother's Milk". He lists Miconazole as an L2 (safer) drug to use while nursing. Some info from his listing that may help you decide:

He also listed Pediatric concerns as "None reported via milk".

Considering that being used on the scalp, it is absorbed less than the 'usual' application area, and also less amount of cream is used per scalp application (unless you are using a whole tube), any risk would be very minimal. But it's up to you to decide if you want to try it while nursing.

HTH!

I appreciate it! :)

camillacamilla
April 17th, 2008, 05:50 PM
I diluted it in water. And was messy and careless, so it got on my face, namely my eyebrows. And I have thick eyebrows I have to pluck often. Wooooboy. Was I plucking and plucking daily. Haven't touched the Monistat since.

Suldrun
April 18th, 2008, 09:16 PM
here is my official update. I began using MN in Jan. but did not measure. I have a photo of me wearing a striped sweater on 2/15/08 and another in the same sweater on 4/14/08. I was using MN irregularly during the first month, during the last 3 weeks I was using it every other day.

I put on the sweater and measured ( this may not be totally accrate) I have 2 and 3/8 inches of growth. This is a little over one inch a month. I do not have a baseline but I do know my hair seems to grow very slow in comparison with most of my friends so I am happy. I am taking a break mostly from laziness.

misspriss
April 19th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Okay, read the first couple of pages (I see 40 posts a page) and I can't read any more about monistat without trying it. I am at such a frustrating length for me (touches shoulder in front, not in back) and I would love it get it as long in the back as it is in the front now, soon. I am buying monistat monday at work!

Jannike
April 20th, 2008, 04:27 AM
For Emme76 and everyone else living in Sweden we have a foot cream named Daktar. I
guess that it should be the same as the Daktarin cream in the UK. It doesn't contain the exact same ingredients but they should have the same properties. I've just tested it for a little while so I can't say anything about the effect.

misspriss
April 20th, 2008, 12:45 PM
I just bought walgreens brand monistat, because I was at walgreens not walmart and the prices were so high. I got the 3 day (4&#37;), and one of those infant medicine syringes which I read someone used to apply. That was the idea that I heard that I thought would most suit me. I'm going to CO my hair, then apply while my hair is wet/damp. I plan to leave it on til the next time I wash my hair, which will be tuesday at the earliest.

misspriss
April 20th, 2008, 08:27 PM
I did it! Monistat-ed today. Took more than I thought, I hope I didn't use too much. I filled my baby medicine thing with 6 mL. When I finished there was 1.5 mL left. I used about 4.5 mL. It itches a little in the back and it was definitly greasy. I guess cuz it was off brand.

Presto
April 20th, 2008, 09:13 PM
I've been trying not to try too many new things all at once, since I'm still pretty new around here. :) So far, I am doing almost exclusively CO, some times I am in too big a hurry to let it sit long enough though. I shampoo every now and then when I have too much build up, or too much greasies from not having the time to let it sit long enough.
Also I am trying a modified CP serum regimen for skin and stretch marks, although I am too lazy to try it out regularly on the rest of me, I've been using it on my face. Seems to give me some nice results.

So now, I think I will give the monistat a try! I have had dandruff off and on for forever. I pretty much only used head and shoulders all the time. Switching to CO calmed it down very nicely for a while, but now it's back with a vengeance. It's not build up on the scalp from the CO, it's big pieces of skin. It is showing up in its habitual-for-me places. Grrrr!
So... Monistat is good for this, right? And some added growth would be a great bonus.
Yeah, I didn't read this entire thread, I skipped around some, reading a page here and there, and a little of the old archived thread.
I'm going to use it on DH's thin areas too. He has a really wicked widow's peak that goes way up, almost to the whorl in his hair, and he's fine with that. I think it's a good look on him. But the stripe down the middle and everything else that could be considered to be on the top of his head is thin, and he says it has a stubbly texture, although I don't really feel it.

So, I'll be applying monistat 2&#37; cream to the top of his head, and in some areas of my head.
I already gave us one application, and Oh! the itchies are mostly gone for me! :cheese:
I'm thinking an every day application for my itchies, and every 2-3 days for growth? That is what I think I gleaned from my very scattered reading on this topic.
Please let me know if I'm doing it wrong. :D Small amounts, even distribution, rubbed/massaged in well.

ilovelonghair
April 21st, 2008, 02:10 AM

I tried it, but noticed nothing. But I had many times where I forgot to apply it. I should try it again.

misspriss
April 21st, 2008, 08:00 AM
The next morning: No itchies, no headache, and I swear my hair is longer already ;) I have high hopes!!

birdiefu
April 21st, 2008, 09:27 AM
I ended my 1 month Monistat trial on the 19th. I used it mostly daily, but sometimes every other day, with straight MN on freshly-washed scalp and diluted in water on non-wash days. It was Monistat brand, the 7-day tube (2&#37;).

My results were not stellar, in fact exactly the same as the past few months without MN. I got a hair under 0.5" in length. Anyone that has been doing this for a while- do you usually get results right away or does it take a few months to build-up to increased growth?