PDA

View Full Version : Monistat... dare we start this again

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

EtherealOde
April 27th, 2010, 11:47 PM
I have a question about this. I got a small tube today and pretty much used the whole thing in one application @_@ My problem is I cant get it just on the scalp, all of my hair is pretty much coated in it like hair gel and its gross (its hard to not cover it as my hair is so short). I didn't want to dilute it as I wanted it to be stronger and have good results...any idea how to do this in a way it wont get all my hair and does anyone know if its really bad to be touching my hair at all?

It doesn't hurt it to dilute it, all the dilution does is make it easier to apply. I diluted mine with other healthy things for my hair, but you could dilute it with plain water if you wanted. You don't need an entire tube, even a small one. You only need about 1 teaspoon of the cream for it to be effective. You can certainly use more, it won't hurt. But it isn't going to help either, so why waste it?

dfotw
April 28th, 2010, 02:34 AM
After only four applications (one every other night, for a week), I can report the first results:

I don't know if my hair is growing at all, but the shedding has definitely decreased. I am shedding even less than half of what I used to. I'm like... wow. I didn't know I could shed so little! :D

I'm hoping it'll help with growth too (after only a week into the treatment, it's a little too soon to tell), but the decreased shedding is a great side-effect I wasn't expecting!

I have a question about this. I got a small tube today and pretty much used the whole thing in one application @_@ My problem is I cant get it just on the scalp, all of my hair is pretty much coated in it like hair gel and its gross (its hard to not cover it as my hair is so short). I didn't want to dilute it as I wanted it to be stronger and have good results...any idea how to do this in a way it wont get all my hair and does anyone know if its really bad to be touching my hair at all?

I'd use it diluted, even just a bit, enough that it's a liquid instead of a solid, and I'd apply it with a dropper, hair-dye applicator, small syringe or anything that lets you reach your scalp more easily and bypass the hair. I tried applying the cream straight, and even on wet hair, it wasn't easy and I got a lot more on my hair than I intended. And a tube sounds like a bit too much for an application! A tablespoon is more than enough, even (I use about a teaspoon, a 1 1/2 inch 'worm' of cream diluted in a tablespoon of distilled water or warm tap water). Hope this helps! :)

Maddy25
April 28th, 2010, 06:35 AM
Thank you :) If you think it works the same dilluted then I will try that next time...save me some money!

Sweetbaby
April 28th, 2010, 07:00 AM
I'm going with lumigan now. I have a surplus that I ordered from ADC for like 12 bucks a bottle. I have about 6 bottles left. ( I gave a few away to family/friends plus used one on my eyelashes which grew crazy long and thick)

So my disaster haircut is only intolerable on the crown of my head, mostly the frontal bangs cut way too far into the side. I simply go along the part with the bottle at night and then split the part a few times to saturate all scalp area that the hair needs growing in. So I'm not using it all over.

I'm hardheaded, so regardless I'm going to try this. After only two weeks I'm seeing longer bangs, which nothing else seemed to spur on and this is not what I expected. I expected it to take the normal 6 - 16 weeks it takes for eyelash growth. So I'll keep everyone updated on another thread if it continues to work. Use at your own discretion ;-)

grldollies
April 29th, 2010, 11:18 PM
Gee Wiz :confused: There must be a run on monistat 3 day 4% here in O-Town.
Walmart & Publix was out of it.
I purchased at Target their Up&Up Brand - the internal tubes med. It seems to be exactly like the monistat ingredients - but they have oil in the external cream unlike monistat. Well darn... I guess I will give it a try.

I have been using the Monistat 7 day w/external cream 2% which helped my hair grow back (illness & stress made a bunch fall out & recede a wile ago). I wanted to see if the 4% was more effective. My hair is so much better now, thanks to monistat & supplements, but... growing faster would be way-cool.

I was just wondering (maybe its a fluke) -
Has anyone else seen the 3 day 4% Monistat missing on the shelves in your area?

Have a Great Hair Day - Gay : ) Qapla' :puppykisses:

ButterCream
April 30th, 2010, 07:11 AM
Hi, I have read up on the loooooooooooooong...loooooooooong thread in the archive about the monistat and hairgrowth (wow it was long...phew:eek:)

I just wondered if there is some Norwegian girls on the forum that knows about an equivalent in Norwegian things I could use? I actually have a sneaky suspicioun I actually have some sort of problem with my scalp that *maybe* could benefit from this!
Anyone know?

If not I will see if I can make a thread about it directed to Norwegians. Not very easy to find products that are the same, since names and uses can vary.

grldollies
April 30th, 2010, 07:46 PM
I have been doing the treatments on & off for the last year. It has helped me with hair loss - thinned & receded on the w/ the Alli diet I tried in 2008.
I had stress from family illness going on this year so the monistat has helped a lot.
I have not seen hair growth being faster but at least it helps reduce my hair shedding. It cut my hair sheding down to at least 25% of what it was and PTL for the new regrowth - my hair is back!
The first time I tried it I got a slight headache but not since. I use the name brand not the store brand. More people seamed to have better luck w the name brand from what I read about it a year ago.
My hair is way better because of it. Faster growth would be wonderful but I will settle for a full head of hair!
So give it a try you'll if you have a lot of shedding/thinning, it helped me.

Update: Since January I've only had about a 1" growth. I seem to shed a little which is normal but I hate it! I want to keep every strand! At least the hair that grew in is still there!
I tried Shapley's M-T-G since then but it really bothered me, the smell & a headache for two days. Not too keen on trying it again. I also bought Mega-Tek which I need to try it out. I was focusing on the sulfur angle.
I even tried that egg recipe (posted here somewhere) - it was too runny & just drove me nuts. I think I will stick to eating them.
So what I did do to get more sulfur? Buy it! I purchased Humco 12 oz Sulfur USP sublimed powder pharmaceutical grade from Amazon. That did not bother me. I used it with a little oil and left it on over night, no headache & a min. smell issue. I was only able to do it twice, then had company, vacation - life. Oh well! :roll:
So I am back to it. I just bought the 3-day 4% Target Up&Up brand. The Monistat 3-day was out at Target, Publix & Walmart. The internal tubes med. It seems to be exactly like the monistat ingredients - but they have oil in the external cream unlike monistat. So we will see how it go's. I hope it is as good or better.
My plan is to be more pro-active so hopefully the 4% will be more effective and the sulfur treatments will also help spur my growth.

Have a Great Hair Day - Gay : ) Qapla' :puppykisses:

dfotw
May 1st, 2010, 04:19 AM
Hi, I have read up on the loooooooooooooong...loooooooooong thread in the archive about the monistat and hairgrowth (wow it was long...phew:eek:)

I just wondered if there is some Norwegian girls on the forum that knows about an equivalent in Norwegian things I could use? I actually have a sneaky suspicioun I actually have some sort of problem with my scalp that *maybe* could benefit from this!
Anyone know?

If not I will see if I can make a thread about it directed to Norwegians. Not very easy to find products that are the same, since names and uses can vary.

Hi ButterCream!

What I did when I started looking for Monistat substitutes in Spain (we don't have it by that name) was write down the Monistat ingredient list, go to a pharmacy and talk to the pharmacist, asking her to find me something with 2% miconazole nitrate (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/tags.php?tag=miconazole+nitrate); then, I checked the ingredient list of what she found against what I knew Monistat had... and then I found a match and bought it (really cheaply, besides)! I don't remember how pharmacies work in Norway, but it couldn't hurt to give it a try this way!

Good luck with your search! :)

ButterCream
May 1st, 2010, 05:53 AM
Hi ButterCream!

What I did when I started looking for Monistat substitutes in Spain (we don't have it by that name) was write down the Monistat ingredient list, go to a pharmacy and talk to the pharmacist, asking her to find me something with 2% miconazole nitrate (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/tags.php?tag=miconazole+nitrate); then, I checked the ingredient list of what she found against what I knew Monistat had... and then I found a match and bought it (really cheaply, besides)! I don't remember how pharmacies work in Norway, but it couldn't hurt to give it a try this way!

Good luck with your search! :)

Hi dfotw, and thank you so much for taking the time to reply to a newbie and let me know what I could do! :waving:
I think I will try that, thanks for the tip:flowers:

JBO
May 1st, 2010, 04:58 PM
Well - pictures don't tell a lie. Here are three photos taken firstly on 14th April (day I started using Resolve), April 17th and then today April 21st.

If you look closely at each picture you can see I have coloured in a pink and yellow chunk on each side of my shirt for accurate comparison. In the first photo I am between pink and yellow and in the last photo I am past yellow. You can already see that I have had quite a bit of growth. I honestly wouldn't have believed it if I didn't experience it myself. I have used the product only 4 times in that time. I massaged it straight into my scalp (no water added) at night, slept in it and then washed out in the morning on all occasions. I'm also taking Hair Food Plus by Figaro.

l
Ist Photo 14th April http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4015/4539005943_4115fb4cf0.jpg 2nd photo 17th April http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4032/4539640870_e1dd2dff22.jpg 3rd photo 21st Aprihttp://farm5.static.flickr.com/4012/4539006545_814c8d3304.jpg

That is fantastic. It looks thicker too. Great job! Even if you are holding your head a tiny bit differently in the pictures I don't think it would effect it THAT much. You'd have to crane your neck back to make that kind of difference. That is so cool!:D

Pear Martini
May 5th, 2010, 02:49 PM
How soon after applying can you wash your hair?

I wash my hair with shampoo and conditioner about three times a week.

Rapunzal2Be
May 6th, 2010, 09:08 AM
How soon after applying can you wash your hair?

I wash my hair with shampoo and conditioner about three times a week.

I leave mine on overnight. If I use generic (with mineral oil) I usually apply the night before a wash day. If I use the name brand I can apply it any evening, because it does not give me the greasies.

BunnyBee
May 6th, 2010, 11:32 AM
Ok well I did the thing I never thought I'd do.. I'm sat with Daktarin on my head :s I did a patch test on my arm the other day (because I'm a scaredy cat) and nothing happened so all should be good! I'm planning on washing it off tonight after about.. 5 hours or so. Is that okay or does it need to be on all night? I'm too much of a wimp to leave it on that long yet XD

lastnite
May 7th, 2010, 07:49 PM
I didn't read through everything, but it seems like people had better results with Monistat. vs. generic brands... any ideas why? if it's the same active ingredient, it should work, right? is anyone use generic brands or athlete's foot products with the same main ingredient with good results? I'd like to try, but don't want to gamble to much money if it doesn't work :cool:

chrissy-b
May 7th, 2010, 08:53 PM
I didn't read through everything, but it seems like people had better results with Monistat. vs. generic brands... any ideas why? if it's the same active ingredient, it should work, right? is anyone use generic brands or athlete's foot products with the same main ingredient with good results? I'd like to try, but don't want to gamble to much money if it doesn't work :cool:

I use the generic brand and I never noticed a difference between the generic and name brand. I do notice a difference between the 4% and the 2% though (the 4% gives me better results).

julliams
May 7th, 2010, 10:58 PM
I apply mine the night before washing and wash it first thing in the morning. I've never had any issue except for the first time I used it when I did experience all the symptoms (headache, ringing and tingling of scalp). Since then I have never had any symptoms and the product seems to be fine leaving it in all night.

BunnyBee
May 8th, 2010, 05:25 AM
Well laziness won out over fear, so I ended up leaving it on all night (it was too cold to wash my hair by then!) No bad reactions so yay.

Heidi_234
May 8th, 2010, 06:58 AM
Well laziness won out over fear, so I ended up leaving it on all night (it was too cold to wash my hair by then!) No bad reactions so yay.
When I used it, I used to just leave it in for as long as it took between washes. I think I even went as far as re-applying it once every few days (I'm once a week/once every two weeks washer). So I'm sure it's fine. :)

Kristin
May 8th, 2010, 08:35 AM
I use the generic brand and I never noticed a difference between the generic and name brand. I do notice a difference between the 4% and the 2% though (the 4% gives me better results).

I only use the name brand because I couldn't find a generic version with 4% MN. And, as chrissy-b said, I notice a difference between the 2% and 4%.

chrissy-b
May 8th, 2010, 09:11 AM
I only use the name brand because I couldn't find a generic version with 4% MN. And, as chrissy-b said, I notice a difference between the 2% and 4%.

Target sells the 3-day pack generic version with three applicator tubes with 4% and a small external cream with 2%. If you have a Target nearby I would take a look, they don't offer it at their online store.

LadyJennifer
May 8th, 2010, 06:02 PM
Target sells the 3-day pack generic version with three applicator tubes with 4% and a small external cream with 2%. If you have a Target nearby I would take a look, they don't offer it at their online store.
What's the price differential between mn name brand and target brand? I'm thinking about trying again, since I seem to be in a stall.

nicoola
May 8th, 2010, 06:04 PM
im new is there any1 online

chrissy-b
May 8th, 2010, 06:35 PM
What's the price differential between mn name brand and target brand? I'm thinking about trying again, since I seem to be in a stall.

The target brand is around $7-8 and the name brand is somewhere around $15 I think. I haven't bought either in a while so I don't remember the exact price.

angelthadiva
May 8th, 2010, 07:29 PM
im new is there any1 online

Tell us about yourself and your hair goals. This is an online hair forum, not a chat room.

Oksana
May 10th, 2010, 06:05 AM
Hi everyone, i'm new here and was inspired by this thread to go and buy myself some daktarin and try this out for myself. I have been measuring my normal hair growth over the last 3 months and average the normal half an inch per month.

I have been using the diluted solution every other day for the last 16 days and have already grown my half an inch! Its very easy to measure as my roots are light blonde in contrast with my dyed dark brown hair :)

P.s no nasty side effects yet

grldollies
May 10th, 2010, 09:30 AM
The target brand is around $7-8 and the name brand is somewhere around $15 I think. I haven't bought either in a while so I don't remember the exact price.

I Bought some a couple days ago here in Fla at Target store and the price was $8.44. The ingrediants -4% are identical to monistat for the internal cream. The 2% external is different - it has an oil in it.

- Gay : ) Qapla' :puppykisses:

JBO
May 15th, 2010, 12:17 AM
I can safely report that the amount of growth and thickness I have gotten with the 4% is monumental. When I was using the 2% I got some great growth and my shedding, which is usually terrible, greatly decreased. But with the 4%, crazy growth. My short layer that was not even touching my shoulder is not at collar bone, and I switched to the 4% about a month ago!

Purdy Bear
May 15th, 2010, 02:55 AM
On a slight off shoot, I checked with the Dr yesterday and you can use Canestan Cream (another UK vaginal cream) on your scalp, but Im not sure if it would improve hair regrowth. Im going to try it on my arm (as I dont have hair there either) to see if it works.

LHktress
May 15th, 2010, 03:12 AM
Canestene doesn't have the same ingredient.

You can find Daktarin in Europe, it's 2% miconazole nitrate and it works.

Purdy Bear
May 15th, 2010, 05:05 AM
Thanks for that. Im not sure Canesten would be good for me as it has Maize Starch in it, I will have to check the ingredients of the Daktarin.

ButterCream
May 15th, 2010, 08:51 AM
Canestene doesn't have the same ingredient.

You can find Daktarin in Europe, it's 2% miconazole nitrate and it works.

Do you know if Daktarin comes without the mineral oil in it? I am on the CO only and also my skin isn`t happy with the mineral oil, it dries me out terribly:(

beachlover
May 15th, 2010, 09:04 AM
Has anyone used Nizoral shampoo and does it promote hair growth??? I'm really tempted to try the monistat but a little hesitant, but really need to grow out this pixie hairstyle and get back to having the long hair that I love!!!

LadyJennifer
May 15th, 2010, 12:47 PM
I just wanted to let everyone know that the Target brand of 3 day MN, is made by the exact same company as the Dollar General brand.

LHktress
May 15th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Do you know if Daktarin comes without the mineral oil in it? I am on the CO only and also my skin isn`t happy with the mineral oil, it dries me out terribly:(

You can find cream and powder Daktarin, here are the ingredients:

Each gram of Daktarin Aktiv Cream contains: 2%w/w (20mg per gram) of miconazole nitrate

The cream also contains the following inactive ingredients: water, macrogol and glycol stearate, unsaturated polyglycolysed glycerides, liquid paraffin, benzoic acid (E210) and butylated hydroxyanisole (E320).

Daktarin Aktiv Powder contains: 2%w/w (20 mg per gram) of miconazole nitrate

The powder also contains the following inactive ingredients: Talc, zinc oxide and colloidal anhydrous silica.

The powder is not very effective as such on the scalp, but maybe it can be diluted and applied in a watery solution. Never tried that myself.

ButterCream
May 15th, 2010, 03:36 PM
You can find cream and powder Daktarin, here are the ingredients:

Each gram of Daktarin Aktiv Cream contains: 2%w/w (20mg per gram) of miconazole nitrate

The cream also contains the following inactive ingredients: water, macrogol and glycol stearate, unsaturated polyglycolysed glycerides, liquid paraffin, benzoic acid (E210) and butylated hydroxyanisole (E320).

Daktarin Aktiv Powder contains: 2%w/w (20 mg per gram) of miconazole nitrate

The powder also contains the following inactive ingredients: Talc, zinc oxide and colloidal anhydrous silica.

The powder is not very effective as such on the scalp, but maybe it can be diluted and applied in a watery solution. Never tried that myself.

Thanks for the reply! I will check out my local pharmacy and see if they have the powder. I could just mix it with some aloe vera gel or something. Thanks a bunch!!:joy:

EDIT:
Just found out through public website with overview over meds that can be obtained with or without prescriptions here in Norway, that Daktar powder is not obtainable here, only the cream with mineraloil/paraffin/petroleum, and in pill form...Booo...:(
The search continues....le sigh...:shrug::cry:

grldollies
May 16th, 2010, 11:18 PM
I just wanted to let everyone know that the Target brand of 3 day MN, is made by the exact same company as the Dollar General brand.

Do you know if they use the same ingredients? Does it have the internal 4% & external 2% treatments? Target Sells their 3-day for $8.44 here in Fl. What does Dollar General gets for theirs?
- Please & Thank-You! - Gay : ) Qapla' :puppykisses:

LadyJennifer
May 17th, 2010, 12:22 PM
Do you know if they use the same ingredients? Does it have the internal 4% & external 2% treatments? Target Sells their 3-day for $8.44 here in Fl. What does Dollar General gets for theirs?
- Please & Thank-You! - Gay : ) Qapla' :puppykisses:

The 2% cream (external) is exactly the same, I'm only assuming the 4% internal cream is, the kind I bought before was the ovules kind though, I did not realise there was a difference at the time. I paid $7-something for it at DG.

JBO
May 17th, 2010, 06:23 PM
Anyone who's used Monistat find a difference between the 2% and 4%? I bought the 4%, but it is so darn expensive! At this rate, one box will only get me thorough 6 applications! I was hoping to apply 3 times per week!

I noticed a huge difference in 4% vs 2%. While using 2% I did get some faster than usual growth but the 4% has been way better. I also stopped diluting it and apply it straight.

Since I changed those 2 things I can see visual growth in my hair each week.

endtransmission
May 17th, 2010, 06:53 PM
I decided to give this a shot and picked up the Rite Aid brand 2%.

I'm having a lot of issues applying it though. My hair is too short to make a neat part then apply it onto my scalp so it gets everywhere! It dries pretty quickly though and only leaves my hair a little greasy.

Rapunzal2Be
May 18th, 2010, 07:57 AM
Has anyone used Nizoral shampoo and does it promote hair growth??? I'm really tempted to try the monistat but a little hesitant, but really need to grow out this pixie hairstyle and get back to having the long hair that I love!!!

I use Nizoral for two reasons, one is that I have occasional dandruff and the other is that upon reading about ketoconazole I was hoping to also benefit from a healthier scalp and some added growth.

It is my understanding that ketoconazole is helpful in ridding the scalp of fungus (that causes dandruff, and also causes hair loss) so that regrowth is more possible. I'm not sure that it promotes *faster* growth so much as that it may help you grow hair in follicles that were previously not healthy enough to grow. I'm no expert or anything, that's just what I understood from what I read about ketoconazole and Nizoral in particular. (Some people use Nizoral in conjunction with their Rogaine or whatever, and believe that it helps in the uptake of the Rogaine.)

So I have used Nizoral now for a month or so, and I'm pleased with it. I use it in rotation with a few other shampoos (Jason Scalp Normalizing, Kiss My Face Miss Treated, and Nioxin) and in conjunction with Monistat on the scalp (every three days or so), sulfur/coconut oil on the scalp (once per week) and occasionally MegaTek treatments. I also brush my scalp nightly (for stimulation) and use ACV spritzes on my scalp every few days.

I use too many things to tell you that Nizoral has or hasn't made a difference, sorry, but I can say that it cleared up my case of the (very bad) flakies within a week and now keeps them at bay.

Also, moreso than faster growth I can tell you that what I see is a MAJOR amount of new growth. In fact, the hair at my temples (the first to break and shed when I'm under stress) is growing back so much that my hairline is changing (filling in). I'm amazed by it, frankly, and combined with the reduction in shedding that I've had since I've stopped putting conditioner anywhere near my scalp, I expect (HOPE) that my thickness will be greatly improved in a year or so.

I'm having a lot of issues applying it though. My hair is too short to make a neat part then apply it onto my scalp so it gets everywhere! It dries pretty quickly though and only leaves my hair a little greasy.

If you use the name brand (no mineral oil) you will not have to worry about the greasies at all.

Also, if you are having issues with applying, you may want to try putting a squirt of MN in a small applicator bottle (hair color or the like) with a bit of water (not too much at all) and shake, shake, shake until nice and foamy, then apply to your scalp in lines (like you would if you were applying hair color to your roots) then massage or brush in.

BunnyBee
May 21st, 2010, 10:22 AM
Okay so I first used the Daktarin on the 6th May which is 2 weeks and one day ago. Since then, I've used the whole 15g tube lol and my hair has grown from 26.3 to 26.7 which I think is pretty good since it hasn't seemed to be growing at all lately and I calculated my average as only 4.5" a year.

So .4 in 2 weeks? Yes I'm pleased! Also my scalp seems really happy with this too so I'm off to buy more :D

Oh - btw I think my tube contains mineral oil.. it's the Daktarin activ which is the only one they had. Just to be clear.. I don't have to worry about any problems with that if I'm using sulfates, right?

Oksana
May 21st, 2010, 11:04 AM
Okay so I first used the Daktarin on the 6th May which is 2 weeks and one day ago. Since then, I've used the whole 15g tube lol and my hair has grown from 26.3 to 26.7 which I think is pretty good since it hasn't seemed to be growing at all lately and I calculated my average as only 4.5" a year.

So .4 in 2 weeks? Yes I'm pleased! Also my scalp seems really happy with this too so I'm off to buy more :D

Oh - btw I think my tube contains mineral oil.. it's the Daktarin activ which is the only one they had. Just to be clear.. I don't have to worry about any problems with that if I'm using sulfates, right?

Have you tried ChemistDirect.co.uk, they sell 30g tubes of daktarin for £2.65 which is the cheapest i have found it :)

Calaelen
May 21st, 2010, 11:15 AM

Have you had headaches putting the 4% straight onto your scalp?
This is something I'd like to try.

dfotw
May 23rd, 2010, 06:30 AM
After a bit more than a month since I joined LHC and jumped onto the Monistat bandwagon, I measured my hair out of sheer boredom and... it has grown over ONE INCH!!! Trust me, my hair has never ever in Neverever Land grown that fast! :cheese:

And I'm using only the 2% stuff every other day... I wonder what would happen if I could get the 4% here... :eyebrows:

I am so happy!!! Thank you everyone here, for the advice, the support and the encouragement...

And now, to keep growing!

:D

ButterCream
May 23rd, 2010, 10:25 AM
Thanks for the reply! I will check out my local pharmacy and see if they have the powder. I could just mix it with some aloe vera gel or something. Thanks a bunch!!:joy:

EDIT:
Just found out through public website with overview over meds that can be obtained with or without prescriptions here in Norway, that Daktar powder is not obtainable here, only the cream with mineraloil/paraffin/petroleum, and in pill form...Booo...:(
The search continues....le sigh...:shrug::cry:

Any norwegians, swedes or danish in here that know something about what could be used? My pharmace didn`t know much...:(

hanne jensen
May 24th, 2010, 12:09 AM
Buttercream, here in DK I buy an mn cream called Brentan. A 30 gram tube costs around 70 kroner. It's paraffin oil based, 2%. I havent't had any problems with it. I apply it directly to my scalp, no dilution. If I don't put too much on my hair doesn't look oily. I wash my hair the next day. I use it every 3 days.

What I do is take a small glob on my middle finger, rub it lightly on the first 3 fingers of both hands. Then I curl my fingers, use my thumbs to part my hair on both sides of my head and straiten my creamy fingers out at the scalp and gently massage the cream on my scalp. Repeat until the whole scalp is done. Wait about 15 minutes to allow the cream to sink in and then gently comb out and put my hair up. It's easier than it sounds. I don't dilute the cream because I find it too messy.

I buy my Brentan at Apoteket. Hope this helps!

BadMuffin
May 25th, 2010, 03:56 PM
Hello, I'm new here but I just wanted to say this thread is very interesting! So much so, that I'm on the band wagon too. So wish me luck...would love to fill in my thinning hypo hair as well as add more length! :pray:

Stevie

MonikaHa
May 29th, 2010, 10:40 AM
So I gave this a try, and after nearly a month of using the 2% brand name stuff I can't report any faster growth. :( (It is easy to tell, I am a hennahead).
I did notice a bit more shedding and tons of new growth. It is my private little theory, that the cream stimulates hair follicles to grow new hairs, and also stimulates the ones with hairs that are no longer growing (hence the shedding) into dropping the old hair and sprouting a new one.
This is just my speculation, however makes a whole lot of sense to me.

I am going to try the 4% version but it seems to be a hot commodity, can't get it anywhere locally, had to order online LOL.

fair isle
May 31st, 2010, 01:41 PM
I just found LHC last week and have been reading different threads constantly, sooo much information. After reading that monistat helps with dandruff I am giving this a try. I have had dandruff for forever and nothing seems to get rid of it completely (believe me I have tried almost everything).

While some extra growth would be great getting rid of my dandruff once and for all would be miraculous! I'll update with results in a few weeks. :)

GuinevereMay
May 31st, 2010, 02:29 PM
I've been using Monistat. At first, I just noticed a thickening and some new growth around my hair line. I took a photo, though, and saw a difference.

Here's my length in March:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4014/4657518088_3ce7436b9d.jpg

And now:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4052/4651630251_705d09f47f.jpg

(In case you're wondering, I did the Monistat sporadically. The color change is due to a henna/cassia gloss I did last month.)

Do you see a difference in the length?

Calaelen
May 31st, 2010, 03:16 PM
Well, I hope I get results like that! Yes Guinevere May there's definitely growth!

zenobia
May 31st, 2010, 03:20 PM
I'm seriously tempted to try this! My wedding is in two weeks so I'll wait until afterwards. I wouldn't want to risk having my hair fall out or something else crazy happen right before my wedding! shudder:

ButterCream
May 31st, 2010, 03:43 PM
Buttercream, here in DK I buy an mn cream called Brentan. A 30 gram tube costs around 70 kroner. It's paraffin oil based, 2%. I havent't had any problems with it. I apply it directly to my scalp, no dilution. If I don't put too much on my hair doesn't look oily. I wash my hair the next day. I use it every 3 days.

What I do is take a small glob on my middle finger, rub it lightly on the first 3 fingers of both hands. Then I curl my fingers, use my thumbs to part my hair on both sides of my head and straiten my creamy fingers out at the scalp and gently massage the cream on my scalp. Repeat until the whole scalp is done. Wait about 15 minutes to allow the cream to sink in and then gently comb out and put my hair up. It's easier than it sounds. I don't dilute the cream because I find it too messy.

I buy my Brentan at Apoteket. Hope this helps!

Thanks for taking the time to help me out Hanne:blossom:
I was trying to find the Miconazole nitrate without the petroleum etc, but if that isn`t possible to get anywhere else except in england or america I will see if I try it out at one point. I am doing CO so don`t know if I can get it out when washing...
But I won`t know that before I try, do I, lol.

Thanks again! I have relatives in Denmark so it won`t be a problem to get the Brentan:D!

cm006j
June 3rd, 2010, 12:12 PM
I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm having a hard time figuring out what to buy.

I got Monistat soothing care gel from Drugstore.com, only realizing after I got it that it is not the same active ingredient.

Now I'm back at drugstore.com and there many different monistat options to buy, but they all seem to come with applicators for a one day dose or something like that.

In order to get a tube of the 2% chemical stuff, you have to provide a proscription.

I think the 7 day treatment with 7 disposable applicators might be my only option, though I hate the waste of getting all those applicators with it.

Any advice?

Thanks!

GuinevereMay
June 3rd, 2010, 12:23 PM
I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm having a hard time figuring out what to buy.

I got Monistat soothing care gel from Drugstore.com, only realizing after I got it that it is not the same active ingredient.

Now I'm back at drugstore.com and there many different monistat options to buy, but they all seem to come with applicators for a one day dose or something like that.

In order to get a tube of the 2% chemical stuff, you have to provide a proscription.

I think the 7 day treatment with 7 disposable applicators might be my only option, though I hate the waste of getting all those applicators with it.

Any advice?

Thanks!
I buy the 7 day dosage because it comes with the most cream. It sucks to have to toss plastic like that, but I haven't found any without the applicators.

cm006j
June 3rd, 2010, 12:52 PM
Okay, I'll do that. I guess I thought people had some magic secret to just getting tubes of straight chemical! :)

jane53
June 3rd, 2010, 12:55 PM

Any advice?

Thanks!

This is what confuses me about the whole Monistat issue.

Monistat is a treatment for gynecological yeast infections! That seems to be what you're finding, cm006j.

How is the hair treatment different?

I know I wouldn't want to put the yeast infection stuff on my hair!

:confused::confused::confused:

GuinevereMay
June 3rd, 2010, 01:15 PM
This is what confuses me about the whole Monistat issue.

Monistat is a treatment for gynecological yeast infections! That seems to be what you're finding, cm006j.

How is the hair treatment different?

I know I wouldn't want to put the yeast infection stuff on my hair!

:confused::confused::confused:

There is no "Monistat Hair Treatment." You put the yeast infection cream on your head. That's what this thread is about. A page or so back, you can see my results.

jane53
June 3rd, 2010, 01:17 PM
Thanks, GuinevereMay! Serves me right for just skimming thread here at work!

I'll read more and see if I can understand the logic.

GuinevereMay
June 3rd, 2010, 01:22 PM
There are different theories about why it works. It could be that it treats fungal infections of the scalp that inhibit natural hair growth. It could be come weird side effect of the medication (like Latisse.)

All I know is that it works. The cream doesn't make my hair gross or stinky, so I can apply without worrying that people will know I have vaginal yeast cream in my hair.

NJoy
June 6th, 2010, 08:25 PM
I've been using Monistat. At first, I just noticed a thickening and some new growth around my hair line. I took a photo, though, and saw a difference.

Here's my length in March:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4014/4657518088_3ce7436b9d.jpg

And now:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4052/4651630251_705d09f47f.jpg

(In case you're wondering, I did the Monistat sporadically. The color change is due to a henna/cassia gloss I did last month.)

Do you see a difference in the length?

Awesome results! How long between pics?

BTW, I LOVE the bun in your siggy. :crush:

GuinevereMay
June 7th, 2010, 12:01 AM
Aww, thank you! It was a little over two months. I couldn't believe how big of a difference there was.

NJoy
June 7th, 2010, 02:19 AM
That's amazing! Congrats!

BunnyBee
June 11th, 2010, 02:49 PM
Hmm does anyone know if there's anywhere I can buy the non-mineral-oil-containing monistat or daktarin) in the UK? Or somewhere that ships to the UK.. which might be a bit weird.. lol

I'd like to use it without having to wash my hair the next day..

BunnyBee
June 15th, 2010, 01:27 PM
*bump*

Well I found somewhere that will ship to UK.. (drugstore dot com) and they want £20 in shipping :(

I don't want mineral oil! Doesn't look like I have much of a choice though <_<

JBO
June 15th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Here is what I have discovered:

I have been using MN for about 4 months. Generally it's been working well (1"/month). I tried a lot of ways to apply, types, and concentrations.

Applying it straight to my scalp as opposed to diluted worked best.
4&#37; beast 2% hands down. I had zero growth with 2% diluted
Everyday application makes my hair grow SUPER fast
Monistat works and feels better then the generic. You can get Monistat 4% at Walmart for about $13. Which considering the generic is around $10 or $16 at the drugstore, it makes sense to by the "good stuff" lol

cm006j
June 16th, 2010, 10:07 AM
I have another concern.

So I've been doing 2&#37; non diluted every other day. I haven't been able to find any 4%.

I've been doing it for about two weeks, so I don't know about growth yet, although it does seem to be really helping with my chronically itchy scalp.

I'm not too certain of the safety of putting chemicals on my head, but I'm afraid to ask a doctor because I think they will laugh at me! Anyone have any info on the safety of this? I might start doing every day too.

The real concern is that I seem to be losing more hair. I know it's said that you lose less using this stuff. I get quite a lot of hair coming out every morning when I comb (wide toothed comb). It's not clumps, but it's bothering me.

The thing I've changed besides using Monistat is frequency of hair washing. Now I'm washing once a week, could this be hair that would have come out while I was showering and I wouldn't notice? I hope that's it.

I was really expecting once I started Monistat, that I would hardly ever see hair falling out!

lastnite
June 17th, 2010, 02:32 AM
wow, NJoy that's alot of growth for a few months!

Here is what I have discovered:

I have been using MN for about 4 months. Generally it's been working well (1"/month). I tried a lot of ways to apply, types, and concentrations.

Applying it straight to my scalp as opposed to diluted worked best.
4% beast 2% hands down. I had zero growth with 2% diluted
Everyday application makes my hair grow SUPER fast
Monistat works and feels better then the generic. You can get Monistat 4% at Walmart for about $13. Which considering the generic is around $10 or $16 at the drugstore, it makes sense to by the "good stuff" lol

how long does 1 4% tube last you?

squiggyflop
June 17th, 2010, 03:22 PM
well i am just stopping by to say i have a head full of monistat.. my head has been super itchy lately and ive had almost no growth..

im using 4&#37;.. its what we had in the cabinet..

Rapunzal2Be
June 17th, 2010, 06:11 PM
I have another concern.

So I've been doing 2&#37; non diluted every other day. I haven't been able to find any 4%.

I've been doing it for about two weeks, so I don't know about growth yet, although it does seem to be really helping with my chronically itchy scalp.

I'm not too certain of the safety of putting chemicals on my head, but I'm afraid to ask a doctor because I think they will laugh at me! Anyone have any info on the safety of this? I might start doing every day too.

The real concern is that I seem to be losing more hair. I know it's said that you lose less using this stuff. I get quite a lot of hair coming out every morning when I comb (wide toothed comb). It's not clumps, but it's bothering me.

The thing I've changed besides using Monistat is frequency of hair washing. Now I'm washing once a week, could this be hair that would have come out while I was showering and I wouldn't notice? I hope that's it.

I was really expecting once I started Monistat, that I would hardly ever see hair falling out!

If you are concerned you probably shouldn't be doing it until you are sure. But if it helps, the "chemicals" you are putting on your head are the same you might put in your hoo ha, so something to think about. If you can put it on your girlie parts, why not your scalp?

But I believe the "science" behind it is that MN is anti-fungal, and getting rid of fungal infections of the scalp seem to promote growth and reduce shedding for a lot of people.

PrincessTieflin
June 17th, 2010, 06:54 PM
I am thinking of trying this, I have heard that it can cause headaches and that is what worries me, I Already suffer from almost constant headaches..

anyone had side effects?

PrincessTieflin
June 17th, 2010, 06:56 PM
I am thinking of trying this, I have heard that it can cause headaches and that is what worries me, I Already suffer from almost constant headaches..

anyone had side effects?

cm006j
June 18th, 2010, 09:48 AM
It does seem to be helping a lot with my itchy scalp, although someone else said that her's has gotten itchier! So odd, I guess it really is different for everyone. I think I'll keep doing it because the lack of itching has meant I've been able to space out my hair washing a lot. I've been plagued by white flakes in my hair most of my life, and the past two weeks there have been none.

For the woman concerned about headaches, I got a couple of minor headaches the first couple days I did it, but none now. I'd say give it a try and stop if you have bad side effects that last more than two or three times...?

lastnite
June 18th, 2010, 04:59 PM
I'm hoping to buy some of this tomorrow... I was going to go for the 4% if Walmart or Walgreens had it and use it 2x a week after I shampoo, or if it comes with the 2% tube maybe use the 4% 1x a week and the 2% 1x a week.

Then I seen this utube video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vK9zCjAC3UI&feature=related) and the girl says she gets a 2% cream at walmart for only about $5.. in that case I could use it more often.

would it be better to use the 4% 1 or 2 times a week or the 2% every other day? price is a bit of an issue with trying this, so I'm trying to get the most bang for my buck and be able to give it a good chance to work for a couple months.

swellmel
June 18th, 2010, 06:28 PM
i have tried really hard to read this thread but it is soooo long. what i gleaned is that the 4% miconazole nitrate works better that 2%. buy the internal stuff rather than external because of mineral oil. and apply about 3 times a week- leave in several hours/overnight. i can dilute it or not. i know everyone seems to have their own system so what everyone does varies but is this right as far as basics go? thanks. :)

marla
June 18th, 2010, 06:35 PM
I leave mine in until the next wash which is usually about 3 days away.

Angeletti
June 18th, 2010, 09:06 PM
well I decided to give in and try this, so far I'm week one and have done it twice so far (diluted with water) so hopefully I'll get results!

swellmel
June 18th, 2010, 09:08 PM
hmm... so if i wash my hair once a week should i apply the day after and then 3 days before my next wash or do i really need to wash out the previous treatment before applying more? i've been averaging .4 inches a month which is decent i guess. better than none at all! but i do need a trim and with my ends being so splitty and bleh i plan on taking off 2 inches so it would be nice to get those back asap!

Cleopatra18
July 6th, 2010, 06:45 AM
Hey everyone i found a 2&#37; miconazole nitrate topical cream that has parrafin in it,and an oral gel without the parrafin.
im new to trying this so the oral gel is better right?
also what do you dilute it with?or do you apply it full strength?
and how do you apply it? do you part your hair and apply it to the scalp directly?
and finally is it rly worth it?
sorry for all these questions,im really confused.

littlenvy
July 6th, 2010, 02:17 PM
Question - does it work for men too?
Would it have more side effects on men than women?

GuinevereMay
July 6th, 2010, 04:03 PM
Oral Monistat? Interesting... Usually, for oral thrush they use Gentian Violet or oral nystatin.

Linnykinz
July 7th, 2010, 01:23 PM
So, I'm trying Monistat again for my second attempt. The first time I used it, I mixed it with 1/4 Daktirin (sp?), 1/4 cayanne pepper, and 1/2 Monistat (external, I think 4%). I mixed this all up in a sandwich bag and snipped off the corner to make kind of a cake frosting caulker. Parted my hair and rubbed it in, blah blah blah. It was a pretty nasty mixture so I ended up washing it out the next morning. Didn't get many results, but the MN I was using was never opened but expired.

Here I am, using another old but unopened MN 4%. I mixed it with a tree tea toner in a sandwich bag again. The mixture was much easier to apply, pretty foamy rather than a heavy cream. I also coconut oiled my length. I applied the MN concoction to my scalp, french braided my hair (terribly, might I add :)) and threw it back.

My scalp feels very fresh, like I just got a long scalp massage! I don't feel a headache coming on but it hasn't been very long. I'm crossing my fingers for better results this time!

LadyJennifer
July 7th, 2010, 04:10 PM
I'm thinking about trying this again. Am I right that the ones who have tried 4% Monistat brand MN have had results, but the off brands ones may or may not have? I don't think I've read anyone on here trying name brand and not getting great results.

LadyJennifer
July 7th, 2010, 05:28 PM
I just ordered 2 Monistat 3 on Ebay for 19.95 (free shipping)! That's pretty good, and it's not expired!
Here is the link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120560105630&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

ETA, the link takes you to buy one for 10.95, it's the same store though.

LadyJennifer
July 7th, 2010, 06:30 PM
I just got confirmation that my order shipped already! Wow, that was fast!
I guess I'll be trying it out when it arrives:) I'm really hoping that the name brand gets me some major growth!

Oksana
July 11th, 2010, 01:55 PM
I'm going to try this again to see whether i can even out my hemline (my right side is one inch shorter than my left)

If i measure for growth on the applied side then i will know its working :D

LadyJennifer
July 11th, 2010, 02:48 PM
Got my MN yesterday and used it for the first time last night. I was having some major itchies lately, and today - no itchies! So at least that's good. No headaches either.

little_cherry
July 11th, 2010, 03:09 PM
I've been using 4&#37; Monistat neat to fill in my many bald spots. So far, so good. I have many baby hairs coming in and my part has filled in.

Just a warning. I've seen people mixing MN with cortisone cream...DO NOT add cortisone cream! Prolonged use of cortisone will thin your skin. If it thins skin, it probably does something like that to hair.

Cupofmilk
July 12th, 2010, 11:24 AM
Just wondering can I leave this on my head during the day?

littlenvy
July 12th, 2010, 11:36 AM
I've been using 4% Monistat neat to fill in my many bald spots. So far, so good. I have many baby hairs coming in and my part has filled in.

Just a warning. I've seen people mixing MN with cortisone cream...DO NOT add cortisone cream! Prolonged use of cortisone will thin your skin. If it thins skin, it probably does something like that to hair.
If I may ask little_cherry, where did you get your 4% Monistat? All I can find is 2%.

cm006j
July 15th, 2010, 05:55 PM
If I may ask little_cherry, where did you get your 4% Monistat? All I can find is 2%.

I agree, all I can find is 2%. I've looked everywhere i can think of, Walmart, ebay, Target, Grocery Store...etc.

marla
July 15th, 2010, 06:05 PM
I agree, all I can find is 2%. I've looked everywhere i can think of, Walmart, ebay, Target, Grocery Store...etc.

Is 4% prescription only?

MonikaHa
July 15th, 2010, 08:31 PM
I get the 4&#37; stuff either on e-bay or drugstore.com. I have yet to encounter it in a real store, must be a hot commodity :)

alabaster
July 16th, 2010, 05:52 AM
I wanted to post some progress pics while using monistat... I feel like it has really helped things along and i have only been using it for 2 weeks....
http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad232/muffintop1083/Photo4.jpg
June 1st 2010

http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad232/muffintop1083/Photo15-1.jpg
July 16th 2010

littlenvy
July 16th, 2010, 07:29 AM
I wanted to post some progress pics while using monistat... I feel like it has really helped things along and i have only been using it for 2 weeks....
June 1st 2010

July 16th 2010
HOLY MOLY alabaster!!! That's amazing in just two week!! :cheese:

Just wow!

alabaster
July 16th, 2010, 07:44 AM
HOLY MOLY alabaster!!! That's amazing in just two week!! :cheese:

Just wow!

Thanks:) The total growth was over a period of 1 1/2 months, but in the last 2 weeks i have almost gotten 1/2 inch

Stormphoenix
July 16th, 2010, 03:08 PM
Wow. That is impressive. Okay...heading to the local grocery store (Kroger) to see if they have the 4&#37; miconazole nitrate (w/o mineral oil).....

...This was harder to apply than I figured. I just used the tips of my fingers and placed it as best I could on my (wide and thinning) parts. I can see where a bottle with a pointy end would come in handy to reach the scalp. It does tingle a little bit. I did not dilute it.

Three applications came in the box and each application tube has a cap on the end so I can save what I didn't use this time. I only used about 1/3 to 1/2 of one tube. Do you think it was enough? This is my first time trying this so I didn't want to over do it too, too much.

I am planning on leaving it in for 4 hours before I wash. Do you think that is long enough? Or does it need to be overnight for the first time?

LadyJennifer
July 16th, 2010, 05:16 PM
I did not use near 1/3 of the tube! I just used about a 1/2 inch squirt (from the filled applicator, which would be different -thicker - than a tube), and recapped the applicator.

Quezie
July 16th, 2010, 05:42 PM
Monistat in your hair? D:
Definitely something you'd only find in the lhc! XD

Dare I ask how it works?

Stormphoenix
July 16th, 2010, 06:23 PM
I did not use near 1/3 of the tube! I just used about a 1/2 inch squirt (from the filled applicator, which would be different -thicker - than a tube), and recapped the applicator.

Oooops....yeah...welll...I ..uh...used more like a full inch from the applicator tube. My head is still a bit tingly, but not like it was.:bigeyes:

I really, really want it to help me with excessive shedding / thinning! I can see more of my scalp than I ever have before. (begs this could work overnight instead of a few months....patience is a virtue)

The Kroger brand for the 4&#37; was under $12 and they wanted $18 for the Monistat label. Same ingredients listed.

JBO
July 16th, 2010, 06:59 PM
June 1st 2010

July 16th 2010

That is amazing! So how often were you applying it?

cm006j
July 17th, 2010, 10:49 AM
Is 4% prescription only?
It has seemed that way. Drugstore.com told me I needed a prescription, yet other people seem to be able to find it. Hmmm. I'm going to try ebay.

LadyJennifer
July 17th, 2010, 11:05 AM
It has seemed that way. Drugstore.com told me I needed a prescription, yet other people seem to be able to find it. Hmmm. I'm going to try ebay.
I posted a link for ebay a page back, where I bought mine.

Ylesque
July 17th, 2010, 05:31 PM
Jumping on the bandwagon here. :cheese:
After reading way too much about this method, I've decided to give it a try!
I just henna'd two days ago and will track my progress by my root growth.
Wish me luck! :) I'll be sure to post before and after pics!

alabaster
July 17th, 2010, 07:44 PM
That is amazing! So how often were you applying it?

I did the undiluted direct application of 2% 3 times a week and would leave it on my scalp until the next wash each time which was about 24-48 hours.....

So far so side effects except for tingly/itchy scalp.....

khyathi
July 19th, 2010, 12:19 PM
hi....am back here after a long time....been a busy year...and i am preggers....! i just wanted ur advice if it is safe to use monistat when pregnant?????

Reptilia
July 19th, 2010, 01:27 PM
hi....am back here after a long time....been a busy year...and i am preggers....! i just wanted ur advice if it is safe to use monistat when pregnant?????

Personally, I wouldn't. None of us are doctors and know what the effects would be, so I would say you're better safe than sorry. You're not supposed to use it down there while pregnant, either.

tinti
July 19th, 2010, 02:06 PM
Where do you buy this! Sounds really interesting and I'd like to try it :)

JBO
July 21st, 2010, 11:30 PM
I have had pretty good luck with Monistat. 4&#37; applied straight to my scalp seems to work the best. While my growth is good, the thickness of my hair ROCKS!!!
I was loosing a lot of hair around the time I got a bad hair cut. So that is when I started using MN is a variety of ways (2% diluted, 4% diluted, generic, name brand) and finally landed on what I think works best for me. I got 4" in 4 months and again, the thickness is great. I hardly shed, maybe like 4 hairs a day. Before I was shedding so much a day it was everywhere. I would take my hair out of a ponytail or run my fingers through it and see like 5-6 hairs.

JBO
July 21st, 2010, 11:31 PM
I have had pretty good luck with Monistat. 4% applied straight to my scalp seems to work the best. While my growth is good, the thickness of my hair ROCKS!!!
I was loosing a lot of hair around the time I got a bad hair cut. So that is when I started using MN is a variety of ways (2% diluted, 4% diluted, generic, name brand) and finally landed on what I think works best for me. I got 4" in 4 months and again, the thickness is great. I hardly shed, maybe like 4 hairs a day. Before I was shedding so much a day it was everywhere. I would take my hair out of a ponytail or run my fingers through it and see like 5-6 hairs.

LittleOrca
July 22nd, 2010, 05:05 PM
Alright, I gave in and I got some today. I am going to dilute it and put it in an application bottle for hair dye I got as well after I measure my total hair length and virgin hair and give it a shot. I am hoping for even just a little bit of an improvement. An inch a month would be fantastic, since that would be a foot a year, but 10 inches a year sounds good too, lol too much hoping? We'll see! Fingers crossed!

McFearless
July 22nd, 2010, 09:58 PM
Canadians where do you buy your MN? Name brand or not, whatever works is fine by me.

loralie
July 26th, 2010, 07:04 PM
I found some at Walmart for around 5 dollars... it's only a 15g tube which seemed to be 2-3 applications (the nozzle on the tube is smaller in diameter than the ones people used here, so "1inch" squirt on a big tube is probably 1/3rd of a small tube, diluted)

How long are you guys massaging it in for? I really need to do more head massages. I probably did 5-10 minutes of massaging.

Smile4Kiki
July 26th, 2010, 07:30 PM
I used a generic mn cream I found at the dollar store a while back but didn't do it consistently enough to notice results. Also this particular brand says it has mineral oil in it so I'm hesitant to continue using it. We'll see I may start it up again soon

Fern
July 27th, 2010, 10:10 PM
I am going to give this a shot, I did my first application on Sunday and I plan on doing it 3 times a week. Hopefully it will work for me, I really would like to see some noticable growth here really soon, if not oh well its only a few dollars down the drain.

Jammy
August 2nd, 2010, 09:35 PM
I can't believe I'm trying this...

Sitting with 4% on my head right now. I need to get something to put it on besides a spoon, its all over my shoulders now...

wish me luck!!

Hotrox
August 2nd, 2010, 09:50 PM
Goodness help me - but I'm officially in!

Bought my first 2&#37; Daktarin cream and started on the 1st Aug. I will put it on the night before I wash, so about 3 times a week.

I also bought a little bottle with a dropper (The kind they sell with the aromatherapy oils and essences) and I put a 2cm squeeze of cream, a few drops of water, shook it up and used the little dropped to place it along my scalp in little lines and then rubbed it over with my finger tips.

Seemed to work pretty well and no ill effects so far..........

I'll let you know how I get on

Jammy
August 3rd, 2010, 04:32 AM
Was anyone put off by the fact that on the monistat 4% box it says in big threatening letters "FOR VAGINAL USE ONLY"?

MonaMayfair
August 3rd, 2010, 06:54 AM
I started last Monday, so nine days ago. I'm using the Daktarin as I'm in the UK. I have noticed lots of baby hairs on ONE side of my front hairline since starting.
Having said that, I'm going through yet another period of really bad shedding (probaby thyroid related, as I went from hypo to hyper recently and have been on reduced thyroxine dose for a couple of weeks)
My hormones are really messed up and I don't know if the daktarin will help, but anything's worth a shot!
Just come of BCP too (I took the last pill on Friday, so I'm on my seven pill free days, but not starting the next packet)
I saw a herbalist on Saturday, and I'm taking a mixture which (I hope) will help to detox my liver, balance my hormones etc
I know coming off the pill can cause hair loss, so since I was shedding so badly anyway, I thought as well get it all over with in one horrible experience!
Anyone else had success with reduced shedding using Monistat?
I know I might not have the same success, but it cheers me up to read about it!

Luckysock
August 3rd, 2010, 08:15 AM
Have a question for y'all..

I just started with monistat applications the last two nights, and today woke up with a crazy headache :S

Do we know why the monistat leads to a headache in some people? :S kinda freaks me out...

MonaMayfair
August 3rd, 2010, 08:25 AM
I don't know if we know WHY some people get headaches, but a lot of people seem to.
I think they solved the problem by diluting the monistat, or just using it more infrequently.

Luckysock
August 3rd, 2010, 08:42 AM
I remember my doctor saying that he didn't want me to use flucozanole (the yeast treatment you take orally) too frequently because he considered it to be highly toxic - just makes me wonder if some of the active ingredients in the MN could be harmful over time. After all most people, even if applying it to their coochie, wouldn't be using monistat every day, for months at a time.

I really want to use it, cause the possibility of quick growth is sooo appealing, but something about a throbbing headache has my common sense telling me to stop :(

wvgemini
August 3rd, 2010, 08:51 AM
Have a question for y'all..

I just started with monistat applications the last two nights, and today woke up with a crazy headache :S

Do we know why the monistat leads to a headache in some people? :S kinda freaks me out...

I have heard (and I can't remember where, maybe this thread?) that some poeple who have an abundance of yeast on their heads may get headaches as the MN works to kill off the yeast. Apparantly yeast will give off a toxin as they die and a side effect of that can be headaches.

Luckysock
August 3rd, 2010, 09:02 AM
gross. but probably true.

Jammy
August 3rd, 2010, 07:16 PM
Been using 4% undiluted twice a day for two days.

No headaches no nothing!!

wvgemini
August 3rd, 2010, 07:45 PM
I've been doing it for about a week now. No headaches. Not sure how my growth is, but I have a photo I took of myself on July 21 and my bangs were at my nose. If I measure them now (unstretched, unironed), they have about ---------- <--that much growth. (I know, real scientific ... )

Danaus plexippu
August 3rd, 2010, 07:57 PM
This may have already been addressed and I missed it...if so sorry, please redirect me.

Has anyone tried this for hairloss/balding. My DH has been shaving his head, but I so miss his thick wavy head of hair.

Linnykinz
August 4th, 2010, 11:29 AM
I've been doing it for about a week now. No headaches. Not sure how my growth is, but I have a photo I took of myself on July 21 and my bangs were at my nose. If I measure them now (unstretched, unironed), they have about ---------- <--that much growth. (I know, real scientific ... )

Maybe my text is just super large but it looks like an inch..in two weeks? Wow wvgemini some good growth either way, do you have any idea what your normal growth rate is? And how were you applying your MN?

wvgemini
August 4th, 2010, 11:36 AM
Maybe my text is just super large but it looks like an inch..in two weeks? Wow wvgemini some good growth either way, do you have any idea what your normal growth rate is? And how were you applying your MN?

I wish :) More like a half inch (it seems). I make parts in my hair starting with a center part, one about two inches to the left, two inches to the left of that, repeat on right side of head, a part on the back of my head (I know I can't be making much sense, I apologize!). I smear some cream along all of these parts and then give myself a nice scalp massage to get it good and 'smooshed' around. Sometimes I'll use coconut oil and sometimes I'll just use the monistat.

ETA: I don't know for sure what my normal growth rate is in measurements, I just know that my hair does tend to grow pretty fast. When I was maintaining a severely inverted bob, I would have to get the back cut and shaped up just about every month to keep it from going shaggy. So it very well may be normal.

Fern
August 4th, 2010, 11:52 AM
This may have already been addressed and I missed it...if so sorry, please redirect me.

Has anyone tried this for hairloss/balding. My DH has been shaving his head, but I so miss his thick wavy head of hair.

Right now i am trying this on my husbands head to see if it helps. But we've only been doing it for just over a week so no results yet. I figure it cant hurt to try.

Centaur
August 4th, 2010, 12:46 PM
Right now i am trying this on my husbands head to see if it helps. But we've only been doing it for just over a week so no results yet. I figure it cant hurt to try.

Oh, I really look forward to hearing these results. Please keep us posted.:)

wvgemini
August 4th, 2010, 01:19 PM
Oh, I really look forward to hearing these results. Please keep us posted.:)

Yes, please! I'm sure DBF would be very interested in the results:p

goldenoak
August 4th, 2010, 02:40 PM
Hi everyone!

I'm new to LHC, and this thread is pretty fascinating. I haven't read all hundred-eighty-something pages of it, so I apologize if this question has been asked before, but I'm curious: once you start using MS, what are the long-term consequences (if any)? ie:

- if you use it long-term, is there a known health risk? (The comments about migranes make me wonder)

- if used for awhile and then stopped, obviously you're not going to lose the length you've grown. It sounds like it affects the follicle refresh rate, though, so after stopping, do you end up losing most or all of the extra hair density over time? (I'd think so, just curious what experiences people have had)

- is long-term use likely to cause some weird mutant dandruff-causing scalp-super-yeast? I know it's not being used specifically to get rid of yeast on the scalp, but logically, it'll do that as a side effect, I think... I recall hearing somewhere that yeast overgrowth can be one of the causes of dandruff. And I know that using antibiotics long-term can end up creating antibiotic-resistant bacteria. I'm curious if anyone has used it, stopped, and had any sort of bad scalp reaction after stopping.

Thanks in advance for any answers! :)

LadyJennifer
August 4th, 2010, 08:59 PM
Hi everyone!

I'm new to LHC, and this thread is pretty fascinating. I haven't read all hundred-eighty-something pages of it, so I apologize if this question has been asked before, but I'm curious: once you start using MS, what are the long-term consequences (if any)? ie:

- if you use it long-term, is there a known health risk? (The comments about migranes make me wonder)

- if used for awhile and then stopped, obviously you're not going to lose the length you've grown. It sounds like it affects the follicle refresh rate, though, so after stopping, do you end up losing most or all of the extra hair density over time? (I'd think so, just curious what experiences people have had)

- is long-term use likely to cause some weird mutant dandruff-causing scalp-super-yeast? I know it's not being used specifically to get rid of yeast on the scalp, but logically, it'll do that as a side effect, I think... I recall hearing somewhere that yeast overgrowth can be one of the causes of dandruff. And I know that using antibiotics long-term can end up creating antibiotic-resistant bacteria. I'm curious if anyone has used it, stopped, and had any sort of bad scalp reaction after stopping.

Thanks in advance for any answers! :)

This is what I've been mulling over too. Kind of makes me nervous....

goldenoak
August 5th, 2010, 09:17 AM
This is what I've been mulling over too. Kind of makes me nervous....

... and even scalp aside, a treatment-resistant "traditional" yeast infection would be less than fun. Maybe I'm awfulizing, though?

Centaur
August 5th, 2010, 03:18 PM
I bought the MN last night and did my first application. Had only a very slight feeling of tightness on my head briefly and then no problems. I was suprised my roots did not even look greasy after application.

I took measurement of a couple different sections of hair at the start of my MN experiment, so I will be able to determine the gains I make from this.

I will update in a month or so, unless sooner.

MonaMayfair
August 6th, 2010, 08:01 AM
Hey Centaur, I know that you, like me, are doing both the DE and MN. I started the MN almost 2 weeks ago, and the DE 2 days ago.
I (again like you, I believe) want to see if either help with shedding, in my case a recurring thing due to thyroid inbalance.
I can definitely say that the MN is growing a lot of baby hairs, especially, some some reason, on the left side of my front hairline. It's hard to see baby hairs at this length, except at the front, so not sure about elsewhere. No change in shedding yet as far as I can see. It's still way too high, that's for sure!
As well as the DE and MN, I'm taking a (herbalist prescribed) mix of herbs to assist with coming off BCP, so I'm really going for it at the moment.
I'm majorly detoxing, and it's not pleasant! I took my last pill on Friday, due to start again tomorrow, but not going to! I hope these herbs will help to rebalance my hormones as coming off the pill can be disaster for your hair (and mine's already in distress!)

chi08
August 6th, 2010, 11:17 AM
Hi MonaMayfair,

I am new to LHC and this forum. Notice you are in the UK. Please could you let me know which MN brand you are using? I recently got Darakin so have not had the opportunity to find out how successful it will be for me but l notice the US members use Monistat and their seem to have a lot of success with it.

Thanks,

Centaur
August 6th, 2010, 12:15 PM
Hey Centaur, I know that you, like me, are doing both the DE and MN. I started the MN almost 2 weeks ago, and the DE 2 days ago.
I (again like you, I believe) want to see if either help with shedding, in my case a recurring thing due to thyroid inbalance.
I can definitely say that the MN is growing a lot of baby hairs, especially, some some reason, on the left side of my front hairline. It's hard to see baby hairs at this length, except at the front, so not sure about elsewhere. No change in shedding yet as far as I can see. It's still way too high, that's for sure!
As well as the DE and MN, I'm taking a (herbalist prescribed) mix of herbs to assist with coming off BCP, so I'm really going for it at the moment.
I'm majorly detoxing, and it's not pleasant! I took my last pill on Friday, due to start again tomorrow, but not going to! I hope these herbs will help to rebalance my hormones as coming off the pill can be disaster for your hair (and mine's already in distress!)

Hey MonaMayfair:)

Yep, I am doing both DE and MN. I started MN two nights ago, and I increased my DE dose finally up to 1 tablespoon (which is what is usually considered the 'therapeutic' dose) last night.

I have thyroid issues too - hypo and now maybe a little hyper since my endo increased my meds up pretty high. I think that, plus, my insulin resistance/pre-diabetes issues have had a big part to play in my hair sheds and thinning areas.:( I have been told it takes a very long time sometimes to get these hormones in balance and long enough to have a positive impact on hair.

In the process, my hair has thinned from a thinnish "ii" to a "i". I am being optimistic leaving my hair classification as "i/ii" hoping I will get back to a "ii" even if it will be on the thin side of the "ii". Here's hoping that DE and or MN will somehow assist me in this quest! And I hope it helps you too!

It will probably take a few months for your body to readjust after coming off the bc pills. Here's hoping DE and/or MN helps you regain what you have lost through bc pills and thyroid.:cheer:

Kristin
August 6th, 2010, 01:39 PM
I've been thinking of starting MN again...it's just so darn expensive. It did improve my growth rate, but for those of you looking to decrease shedding, I personally think MSN works better. I forgot to take mine for a week or so and my shedding increased A LOT. I typically lose (on MSN) 4-25 hairs a day. When I went off of it, I lost over 25 just rinsing my hair in the shower.

LadyJennifer
August 6th, 2010, 07:22 PM
I've been thinking of starting MN again...it's just so darn expensive. It did improve my growth rate, but for those of you looking to decrease shedding, I personally think MSN works better. I forgot to take mine for a week or so and my shedding increased A LOT. I typically lose (on MSN) 4-25 hairs a day. When I went off of it, I lost over 25 just rinsing my hair in the shower.

I agree! I had taken MSN for a couple of months and have been forgetting to take it because I needed to open a new bottle and just forget. I have been shedding like crazy! Thanks for reminding me! I have been wondering why the heck I was shedding so much, I guess I just did not put two and two together.

MonaMayfair
August 7th, 2010, 09:21 AM
Hi MonaMayfair,

I am new to LHC and this forum. Notice you are in the UK. Please could you let me know which MN brand you are using? I recently got Darakin so have not had the opportunity to find out how successful it will be for me but l notice the US members use Monistat and their seem to have a lot of success with it.

Thanks,
Hi! I'm using the Daktarin too. I think that's all you can get in the UK, but there are lots of people who've had success with the 2% that's in Daktarin and the lower dose of Monistat.
I think you can get the 4% on ebay (imported from US I suppose)

MonaMayfair
August 7th, 2010, 09:28 AM
Hey MonaMayfair:)

Yep, I am doing both DE and MN. I started MN two nights ago, and I increased my DE dose finally up to 1 tablespoon (which is what is usually considered the 'therapeutic' dose) last night.

I have thyroid issues too - hypo and now maybe a little hyper since my endo increased my meds up pretty high. I think that, plus, my insulin resistance/pre-diabetes issues have had a big part to play in my hair sheds and thinning areas.:( I have been told it takes a very long time sometimes to get these hormones in balance and long enough to have a positive impact on hair.

In the process, my hair has thinned from a thinnish "ii" to a "i". I am being optimistic leaving my hair classification as "i/ii" hoping I will get back to a "ii" even if it will be on the thin side of the "ii". Here's hoping that DE and or MN will somehow assist me in this quest! And I hope it helps you too!

It will probably take a few months for your body to readjust after coming off the bc pills. Here's hoping DE and/or MN helps you regain what you have lost through bc pills and thyroid.:cheer:

Hi! This thyroid thing is a huge pain isn't it! I was hypo, but went hyper a few weeks ago, so yet again, my dosage was altered. It doesn't help!
Well done for being sensible and starting with a lower dose of DE (unlike myself who decided to start off with a tbl spoon and got a lot of stomach pains and dashes to the bathroom!)
I have to go on a long car trip tomorrow, so think I won't take any today to let my body settle down. The herbs are already giving me lots of wierd symptoms as it is!
I hate hormones, they seem to control your whole life at times!

MonaMayfair
August 7th, 2010, 09:30 AM
Forgot to say, I've been taking both MSM and Biotin for 4 years, since the first time I had shedding with my thyroid. I've had 3 more lots of terrible shedding, so they don't seem to make much of a difference to me. I'm scared to stop taking them though, it could be even worse!

marla
August 7th, 2010, 03:59 PM

I doubt it's from the US without a prescription. I have searched many drugstores here and never found 4% over the counter.

chi08
August 8th, 2010, 04:50 AM
Hi! I'm using the Daktarin too. I think that's all you can get in the UK, but there are lots of people who've had success with the 2% that's in Daktarin and the lower dose of Monistat.

Thanks MonaMayfair. I feel re-assured to stick with my Daktarin. Happy hair growth:)

MonaMayfair
August 8th, 2010, 09:10 AM
I doubt it's from the US without a prescription. I have searched many drugstores here and never found 4% over the counter.

Sorry, that was just me assuming something I expect! I have read through the whole thread (not all in one go!) and some of the details have blurred.
I know someone did say they got it from ebay, but it must have been the 2%.

MonaMayfair
August 8th, 2010, 09:16 AM
Thanks MonaMayfair. I feel re-assured to stick with my Daktarin. Happy hair growth:)

I'm definitely seeing lots of baby hairs at the front, and, though at first I thought it might be my imagination, my parting looks denser too. I've had to peer at it really closely as I have henna'd hair and blonde roots (not dying my hair until it's settled down a bit) and the lighter roots make it look like you're going bald anyway!
I've lost loads of hair, on and off (no pun intended) over the last few years. It does still look normal, but a lot thinner, so ANY new hairs are welcomed!
Hope the Daktarin is good for you too.

Jammy
August 8th, 2010, 11:50 AM
Sorry if this has been addressed before but has anyone tried monistat on eyebrow hair?

I would love really wild eyebrows!

Centaur
August 8th, 2010, 12:12 PM
I agree! I had taken MSN for a couple of months and have been forgetting to take it because I needed to open a new bottle and just forget. I have been shedding like crazy! Thanks for reminding me! I have been wondering why the heck I was shedding so much, I guess I just did not put two and two together.

Do you mean to write MSM (sulfur) and not MSN? If not, what is MSN?

Jammy
August 8th, 2010, 12:16 PM
Do you mean to write MSM (sulfur) and not MSN? If not, what is MSN?

Ohh you know http://kara.allthingsd.com/files/2008/11/msn_logo.jpg :eyebrows:

MonaMayfair
August 9th, 2010, 03:35 AM
Sorry if this has been addressed before but has anyone tried monistat on eyebrow hair?

I would love really wild eyebrows!

Some people HAVE tried it, with varying success. I seem to remember someone thought it helped, but a couple of others tried it and it didn't work.
I was thinking of trying it myself actually, since with thyroid troubles you do lose eyebrow hair too (mine are very thin and they were never very impressive even before my thyroid became underactive)
I tell you what I have been using though, and it HAS grown more eyebrow hair, and that's a product called Rapid Lash. It's for making your eyelashes longer and thicker. I thought it would be useless, but couldn't resist buying it.
It has made my lashes longer and there are definitely eyebrows hairs where there were none before!
You apply it along the top of your eyelashes, (looks like an eyeliner brush) and can also be used on the brows.
I believe there are various similar products that have just come onto the market (I'm in UK, but I expect it's the same in other places)

Jammy
August 9th, 2010, 04:04 AM
Wow thank you! I was sure that stuff was a sham!

I'll definitely look into it!

bunzfan
August 9th, 2010, 04:46 AM
just wondering if Caninsten would do here are the ingredients

Canesten Combi Pessary & Cream contains:
The pessary contains: 500mg of the active ingredient clotrimazole.
Other ingredients are: Lactose monohydrate, microcrystalline cellulose, lactic acid, maize starch, povidone, calcium lactate pentahydrate, magnesium stearate, silicon dioxide and hypromellose.

The 10g tube of cream contains: 2% w/w clotrimazole.
Other ingredients are: Sorbitan stearate, polysorbate 60, cetyl palmitate, cetostearyl alcohol, octyldodecanol, benzyl alcohol, and purified water.

MonaMayfair
August 9th, 2010, 05:26 AM
just wondering if Caninsten would do here are the ingredients

Canesten Combi Pessary & Cream contains:
The pessary contains: 500mg of the active ingredient clotrimazole.
Other ingredients are: Lactose monohydrate, microcrystalline cellulose, lactic acid, maize starch, povidone, calcium lactate pentahydrate, magnesium stearate, silicon dioxide and hypromellose.

The 10g tube of cream contains: 2% w/w clotrimazole.
Other ingredients are: Sorbitan stearate, polysorbate 60, cetyl palmitate, cetostearyl alcohol, octyldodecanol, benzyl alcohol, and purified water.

Bunzfan, a few people have already asked that question on this (very long!) thread.
One person tried it and it didn't work for her. Anyone else who might have tried it never reported back as far as I remember, so I don't think it would be an alternative to monistat/daktarin.

Jammy
August 11th, 2010, 01:43 PM
ONE WEEK UPDATE!!!!

Wow wow wow is all I can say. I did not notice my hair had grown this much until I looked at a picture from two weeks ago!

I've only been using it for about a week! and look!

http://i34.tinypic.com/fnscqh.jpg

Linnykinz
August 11th, 2010, 03:30 PM
ONE WEEK UPDATE!!!!

Wow wow wow is all I can say. I did not notice my hair had grown this much until I looked at a picture from two weeks ago!

I've only been using it for about a week! and look!

http://i34.tinypic.com/fnscqh.jpg

:thud::thud::thud:

That is a LOT of growth for 2 weeks. What is your normal rate? Did you measure this growth? Ahh so many questions!!

Jammy
August 11th, 2010, 07:48 PM
I'm not sure what my normal growth rate is, but certainly not this much!!!

Also, all the growth happened in 8 days, I only happened to use a picture from two weeks ago because that's that last one I had!

It's about 1/2 an inch of growth!

goldenoak
August 12th, 2010, 08:08 AM
I'm not sure what my normal growth rate is, but certainly not this much!!!

Also, all the growth happened in 8 days, I only happened to use a picture from two weeks ago because that's that last one I had!

It's about 1/2 an inch of growth!

Fantastic growth, Jammy! How do you apply the MN? I've been using a dilution on my scalp daily after washing, but haven't seen a noticeable difference. (It's only been a week, lol - but others have said they start to see baby hairs by then, and I got nuttin' yet!) Do you use it straight from the tube? And how much do you use per application - a pea? a gumdrop? a cherry? a strawberry?

Jammy
August 12th, 2010, 09:33 AM
Fantastic growth, Jammy! How do you apply the MN? I've been using a dilution on my scalp daily after washing, but haven't seen a noticeable difference. (It's only been a week, lol - but others have said they start to see baby hairs by then, and I got nuttin' yet!) Do you use it straight from the tube? And how much do you use per application - a pea? a gumdrop? a cherry? a strawberry?

I use undiluted 4%! I tried diluting it the first time to see if I got any headaches etc. and when I didn't I went straight from the tube. Still nothing! I use about three peas worth to cover my whole scalp. I have been getting tired of doing the rows of parting so what I have been doing is just putting it on my fingertips, hanging my head upsidedown and rubbing it on my scalp! I actually get less on my hair this way and it takes way shorter! This may only work because I have short hair and I don't need to navigate my way through a waterfall to get to my scalp! But I leave it on all day or for two days. The only reason I wash it out is because it gets grimy looking after a while!

goldenoak
August 12th, 2010, 09:43 AM
I use undiluted 4%! I tried diluting it the first time to see if I got any headaches etc. and when I didn't I went straight from the tube. Still nothing! I use about three peas worth to cover my whole scalp. I have been getting tired of doing the rows of parting so what I have been doing is just putting it on my fingertips, hanging my head upsidedown and rubbing it on my scalp! I actually get less on my hair this way and it takes way shorter! This may only work because I have short hair and I don't need to navigate my way through a waterfall to get to my scalp! But I leave it on all day or for two days. The only reason I wash it out is because it gets grimy looking after a while!

Thank you for sharing your technique! :)

Out of curiosity, where did you find the 4%?

Jammy
August 12th, 2010, 03:18 PM
cvs pharmacy!

wvgemini
August 13th, 2010, 06:52 AM

I find the 4% all over the place. It's in the 3-day packs. They do usually come with a little tube of 2% though, so you kind of have to read the fine print.

Centaur
August 13th, 2010, 09:45 AM
I find the 4% all over the place. It's in the 3-day packs. They do usually come with a little tube of 2% though, so you kind of have to read the fine print.

That's the one I have...in the generic brand.

lillylonghair
August 13th, 2010, 09:48 AM
I might be trying out some monistat this weekend as I think I've hit a big stall. I'm ready for my hair to get to BSL gosh darnit!!!

bunzfan
August 13th, 2010, 10:25 AM
I might be trying out some monistat this weekend as I think I've hit a big stall. I'm ready for my hair to get to BSL gosh darnit!!!

i have already started on tuesday night and no headaches just a slight pressure hopefully that means its working well keep you updated.

a guy on a hair loss forum tried canistein and reported it did the same thing:confused:

lillylonghair
August 13th, 2010, 10:43 AM
i have already started on tuesday night and no headaches just a slight pressure hopefully that means its working well keep you updated.

a guy on a hair loss forum tried canistein and reported it did the same thing:confused:

Are you using the 2% or 4% monistat? I'm a little scared to try the 4%! I did a coffee rinse once and got a wicked migraine. Which is nuts since I drink about 3 cups a day.

lillylonghair
August 13th, 2010, 10:50 AM
Has anyone here used monistat on colored treated hair?

wvgemini
August 13th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Has anyone here used monistat on colored treated hair?

Yup. I had a temporary color on (before going back to henna) and I've used it on both. Didn't seem to do anything to the color.

lillylonghair
August 13th, 2010, 07:08 PM
Yup. I had a temporary color on (before going back to henna) and I've used it on both. Didn't seem to do anything to the color.

Awesome! I really want to get the ball rolling on my growth! I'm going back home in October to visit family and I'd love to have at least an extra in or two to show off.:D

SgtMomArmy
August 14th, 2010, 08:53 AM
I looked for 4% at cvs. They didn't have any, but two rows weren't stocked. I guess I will have to keep checking.2% full strength, three times a week didn't help me. I didn't have any negative side effects so I think4% should be fine if I can ever find it. :(

MonaMayfair
August 15th, 2010, 01:30 AM
I looked for 4% at cvs. They didn't have any, but two rows weren't stocked. I guess I will have to keep checking.2% full strength, three times a week didn't help me. I didn't have any negative side effects so I think4% should be fine if I can ever find it. :(

There was someone on this thread who had tried both and not noticed any difference (I mean they BOTH worked for her!)

I'm using the 2% myself (I'm in the UK, and 2% is easily available under the brand name Daktarin) and I've seen a lot of baby hairs around the front. My parting looks denser too. It's hard to see new hairs elsewhere on my head as they're still so short, but I do feel the MN is working!

Gothic Lolita
August 15th, 2010, 02:28 AM
I'll be doing MN again, and this time more frequently. When I first bought it I was after faster growth, but now that I shed so much I just want my hair to grow back, especially my front hairs. I'll apply it undiluted, I always make a mess if I try to dilute it.

Harriet
August 15th, 2010, 07:55 AM
Well I think this is definately working for me! I stilk have a slightly visible root line as thees a little bit of dye left in my hair so I've been using that to measure my growth. I have only been applying MN from my crown down (so I could compare with my normal growth) and the roots where I have been applying are about 1 1/2 " compared to 3/4" on the top of my head. So its doubled my growth rate! Yay!

lillylonghair
August 15th, 2010, 04:18 PM
Woohoo! I got my monistat today! I actually found some generic brand stuff but the ingredients appeared to be the same. I am thinking I might dilute mine with some Nightblooming anointing oil.

Mel
August 15th, 2010, 04:21 PM
I'm starting this tonight. I had been using MTG but find it too greasy for me although it did seem to be helping speed my growth. But I just can't stand the greasiness!
I'm going to use 2%. I'll try it diluted first and if there aren't any side effects I'll then go to straight from the tube. I'm going to try and apply it every 3 days or so. I should take a picture tonight so I can check my progress.:)

lillylonghair
August 15th, 2010, 11:15 PM
I massage a mixture of 2&#37; MN and oil all over my scalp! My scalp felt.... tingly sort of. Just for a little bit and then it went away. I'm wondering if I should sleep with this stuff on my head.

Hotrox
August 15th, 2010, 11:23 PM
I'm 2 weeks in to applying 2% daktarin to my scalp every other night and then washing out in the morning. I dilute about a 1.5cm strip of cream with a tablespoon of water, or thereabouts.

I think I have some growth, it feels longer to me but it could just be wishful thinking. I will measure at the end of the month and report back here then.

Good luck ladies :D

Mel
August 16th, 2010, 03:50 AM
I'm starting this tonight. I had been using MTG but find it too greasy for me although it did seem to be helping speed my growth. But I just can't stand the greasiness!
I'm going to use 2%. I'll try it diluted first and if there aren't any side effects I'll then go to straight from the tube. I'm going to try and apply it every 3 days or so. I should take a picture tonight so I can check my progress.:)

I went ahead and diluted the 2% and massaged it into my scalp. I haven't felt any bad side effects.

This may have already been asked but will this help with my dandruff being that it's an anti fungal? Of course I want faster growth but this would be worth it even if it only got rid of the dandruff :D

excentricat
August 16th, 2010, 07:33 AM
I've been trying the 2&#37; diluted, and I think its growing faster, but I never measured before. I tried using it undiluted, but I had a hard time getting it all over my scalp instead of just on my hair.

lillylonghair
August 16th, 2010, 07:41 AM
How much of the tube do most of you use per time?
I feel like I used a lot! I didn't want to miss any spots but at this rate I may only get 3-5 uses per tube.

Centaur
August 16th, 2010, 09:29 AM
I had bought the generic MN, 4% with the three applicators and a little tube of 2%

From 3 applicators, I got about 7 uses. I mixed the tubes into a bottle with just enough water that I could squeeze the solution out into little rows on my scalp, and then I rubbed it into my scalp. From the little tube I got 2 uses.

If I do the MN treatment again, I am going to see if I can find the generic MN with only the 3 applications of 4% only. I didn't like the little tube of 2% as it had mineral oil in it and did make my hair look greasy. The other did not.

lillylonghair
August 16th, 2010, 09:49 AM
I had bought the generic MN, 4% with the three applicators and a little tube of 2%

From 3 applicators, I got about 7 uses. I mixed the tubes into a bottle with just enough water that I could squeeze the solution out into little rows on my scalp, and then I rubbed it into my scalp. From the little tube I got 2 uses.

If I do the MN treatment again, I am going to see if I can find the generic MN with only the 3 applications of 4% only. I didn't like the little tube of 2% as it had mineral oil in it and did make my hair look greasy. The other did not.

Thats a good idea. I didn't even think of using the applicators like that.I would probably be able to stretch it alot further!

whiteisle
August 16th, 2010, 03:52 PM
Hi!:waving:
Since chopping my locks a bit over 4 months ago and officially being *over* the novelty of short hair, I am now desparate for some length. So here I am on this thread. LOL

I have actually done this before but with no real purpose or consistency. I am going to try again this time to see if I can get some results.

Since I'm too lazy to go to town to get an applicator bottle :p I'm using a clean syringe to apply my diluted solution and it works pretty well. I got the cvs brand 2% and started today. I plan on doing it for at least 1-2 months to see if there is any improvement. Hopefully.....(fingers crossed).

wvgemini
August 16th, 2010, 03:58 PM
Okay, just a PSA. If you buy the generic CVS kind, READ THE BOX! *grumble* You can easily miss the "suppository" label on there. It still works, just kinda like rubbing a soft crayon on your scalp till it melts ...

lillylonghair
August 16th, 2010, 04:20 PM
Okay, just a PSA. If you buy the generic CVS kind, READ THE BOX! *grumble* You can easily miss the "suppository" label on there. It still works, just kinda like rubbing a soft crayon on your scalp till it melts ...

LOL:D That's really funny. Is it hard to find the 4% stuff? I feel like since I didn't get a reaction from the 2% I can up the ante a little bit.... Although does anyone think it really makes a difference?

whiteisle
August 16th, 2010, 06:34 PM

Oh my goodness! I didn't even think of that. LOL Thankfully, I got the tube variety! I'll make sure to read the labels carefully. :D

Mel
August 17th, 2010, 04:36 AM
How much of the tube do most of you use per time?
I feel like I used a lot! I didn't want to miss any spots but at this rate I may only get 3-5 uses per tube.

I use about a 1 inch strip for each application and I find that works good.

If you are applying straight from the tube like I do, it helps if your hair is slightly damp. For some reason it helps it to spread and get good coverage. If you're having trouble applying it straight you could try diluting the 1 inch strip with a tablespoon of water and applying it to your scalp with an applicator bottle.

I hope this helps!

shellwe
August 17th, 2010, 06:16 AM
So I am slowing reading through all of these pages and I'm ready to give Monistat a go.

I do have a question though - how do you apply it to the back of your head? I don't think my husband would understand if I asked for his help ; ) I'm planning on using the cream diluted with a bit of warm water.

wvgemini
August 17th, 2010, 06:27 AM
About the applicator bottles ... do you use an old dye bottle or can I pick one of those up at Sally's? I'm thinking that would make life a bit easier.

bunzfan
August 17th, 2010, 08:41 AM
About the applicator bottles ... do you use an old dye bottle or can I pick one of those up at Sally's? I'm thinking that would make life a bit easier.

i use an old dye bottle washed out. Even though i have been doing this only over a week i swear my hair is longer and you can't see my parting as much as you could i think i may have grown hair already :cheese: i have just got some meg tek as i have heard great things about that

Centaur
August 17th, 2010, 09:43 AM
I finished my MN Saturday night (I used it from August 5th through August 14th - got 7? applications - some stayed on my scalp a couple days until I washed), and I measured my hair last night - August 16th. I got a half inch of growth.

So, it looks like that is 1/2 inch of growth in 11 days (9 of those days using MN).

Now, I am keeping in mind that I pushed my DE (diatomaceous earth) supplement up to the "therapeutic" dose of 1 tablespoon AND added MSM around the same time I started the MN therapy.

I am continuing with the DE and MSM, and will give my scalp a break from the MN for a couple of weeks and then start the MN again.

It does seem like I have more little hairs growing in too, along with the overall growth of my hair. Jump on in, new hairs! The water is fine!:D The new hairs are more concentrated around my center part. I would love to see more all over and at my crown.

lillylonghair
August 17th, 2010, 12:23 PM
Okay,I found a little spray bottle and squeezed in some of the MN and shook it up with water. Much easier application and less product. I think I am going to get some rosemary oil though to add when I do it overnight.

whiteisle
August 19th, 2010, 07:29 AM
What is the general concensus about how long to leave it on? Is it the type of thing you can apply at night and wash in the morning or is it better to leave on for longer periods (two days for example)?

lillylonghair
August 19th, 2010, 07:56 AM
What is the general concensus about how long to leave it on? Is it the type of thing you can apply at night and wash in the morning or is it better to leave on for longer periods (two days for example)?

As long as my hair doesn't feel greasy,I keep applying until it's time to wash. Mostly b/c I don't want to was everyday.

bunzfan
August 19th, 2010, 07:57 AM

I normally put it on dry hair at night time before bed and rinse it out in the morning. Some people leave it longer it depends on you.

MandyBeth
August 19th, 2010, 08:29 AM
I haven't noticed faster growth. However, I have oodles of baby hairs starting.

Centaur
August 19th, 2010, 08:35 AM

When I started the MN, my intention was to put it on at night and wash it out in the morning before work. But, my usual routine is to wash my hair before bed. Well, it ended up that the MN did not feel weird on my scalp, and it did not make my hair greasy. So, on most days, I ended up washing my hair at night, applying the MN and leaving it on until my next hair wash, which was usually the next night; however, on rare ocassion I would go to bed without washing my hair and just wash it the next night. No problems with the MN.

By the way - of the generic brand 4% MN I bought - the three day applicators of 4% did not make my hair look greasy - there was no mineral oil in it. But, the little tube of 2% that it came with did have mineral oil in it and did make my hair look a little greasy. I had to strategically put my hair up around the greasy crown area to cover it.

RadiantNeedle
August 19th, 2010, 08:38 AM
Now, I'm sure this info is in this mega-huge-large thread somewhere, but its 12:36am and I'm a bit stupid, so...
What products are my fellow Aussies using? Can Monistat be bought here, or is there a different product with the right ingredient in the right percentages?
Is is available over the counter?
I would love to give this a try, not for length, but to grow back as much hair as I possibly can after about 3+ years of bad shedding. I think I've lost at least a third of my volume :(

Centaur
August 19th, 2010, 08:41 AM
I haven't noticed faster growth. However, I have oodles of baby hairs starting.

Hooray about the baby hairs. That is excellent news.:cheese:

As for the faster growth...measure your hair after one week of using the MN. You should notice a difference then. The weird thing is I took my measurement after using the MN for about 5 days and didn't notice that much growth. But I gave it a few more days and took my measurement again, and I had a half inch growth. I measured a few times over the span of two days - yep, it was a half inch of growth. And I saw more baby hairs starting too. I think I was more excited about that than anything.

MandyBeth
August 19th, 2010, 08:44 AM
I apply after I get out of the shower. I think it goes on easier, plus my hair is ruffled up already so I don't do that twice. As for greasy, I don't notice it unless I skip a wash.

MandyBeth
August 19th, 2010, 08:52 AM
I have a handy root line, so I maybe overmeasure. I'll keep track next cycle and see. The baby hair I think are the hair that didn't come back after PPD mess. Can't swear I want them back, but I do have help in dealing with problems with LHC and DF.

whiteisle
August 19th, 2010, 08:57 AM
OK, 'nother question.....2% vs 4%? I have 2% but am wondering if I should go get the 4%. Has anybody tried both and noticed any difference?

bunzfan
August 19th, 2010, 09:19 AM
Now, I'm sure this info is in this mega-huge-large thread somewhere, but its 12:36am and I'm a bit stupid, so...
What products are my fellow Aussies using? Can Monistat be bought here, or is there a different product with the right ingredient in the right percentages?
Is is available over the counter?
I would love to give this a try, not for length, but to grow back as much hair as I possibly can after about 3+ years of bad shedding. I think I've lost at least a third of my volume :(

I think you can get daktarin like we do in the uk, which is basically the same thing :)

RadiantNeedle
August 19th, 2010, 09:55 AM
Thanks! I'll have a look at the pharmacy next time I get a chance. Are people getting the same sorts of results?

bunzfan
August 19th, 2010, 10:30 AM
Thanks! I'll have a look at the pharmacy next time I get a chance. Are people getting the same sorts of results?

I read most of the previous threads and yes its meant to be just as good i got mine from the supermarket.

Centaur
August 19th, 2010, 10:04 PM
Well, I bought some more MN and plan to start my next treatment series either tonight or tomorrow night.

pgngrl
August 20th, 2010, 08:52 PM
I've stopped lurking and have made the plung - 1st application today on dry hair. Last year I cut off my hair (BSL to Pixie) I'm no longer deluding myself into thinking it was a good thing to do!!

I'm now ALMOST at the crease in my neck in the back ;) I'm hoping this will help with the push thru to shoulder length!

McFearless
August 20th, 2010, 11:22 PM
Has Monistat failed anyone? It doesn't work for me:( I'm gonna keep trying though..it might be too soon to tell.

eamane
August 21st, 2010, 05:39 AM
Are there any swedes here who's trying this? I did some research what brandnames there is here and found a few similar. I bought a tube of one, Daktar 2%, and are now trying it.
I mixed it with some oil and massaged it in my scalp after washing this morning. My scalp feels a little bit tingleling but that's the way it should, right?
How often do you apply? How often do you wash? I usually CO-wash (or rather SMT) once a week, will I have to wash more often now?
More questions probably coming up ;)

superficial
August 21st, 2010, 06:07 AM
Are there any swedes here who's trying this? I did some research what brandnames there is here and found a few similar. I bought a tube of one, Daktar 2%, and are now trying it.
I mixed it with some oil and massaged it in my scalp after washing this morning. My scalp feels a little bit tingleling but that's the way it should, right?
How often do you apply? How often do you wash? I usually CO-wash (or rather SMT) once a week, will I have to wash more often now?
More questions probably coming up ;)

I'm from Sweden and I use Daktar too :)
Can't say I've seen much results but I have only used it for a couple of weeks or so

CurlAhead
August 21st, 2010, 09:40 AM
I'm from Sweden and I use Daktar too :)
Can't say I've seen much results but I have only used it for a couple of weeks or so

I am from Sweden as well, and I'm wondering where you got Daktar? :) I am curious to try this :D

Joliebaby
August 21st, 2010, 10:25 AM

eamane
August 21st, 2010, 12:54 PM
I am from Sweden as well, and I'm wondering where you got Daktar? :) I am curious to try this :D
You can find Daktar at the farmacy (apoteket), it contains Mikonazolnitrat which is the swedish version of Miconazole as far as I can read out on fass.se...

CurlAhead
August 21st, 2010, 01:34 PM
You can find Daktar at the farmacy (apoteket), it contains Mikonazolnitrat which is the swedish version of Miconazole as far as I can read out on fass.se...

Is it the Daktar you use for (fotsvamp på engelska?)..? Is 30g for 47,50 SEK a good price? How long do you think it will last?

eamane
August 21st, 2010, 02:13 PM
Is it the Daktar you use for (fotsvamp på engelska?)..? Is 30g for 47,50 SEK a good price? How long do you think it will last?
Yes that's the one!
I think it's a pretty ok price yes and if I don't use more than I did today every time it will last somewhere close to forever :rolleyes: :lol:

CurlAhead
August 21st, 2010, 02:19 PM
Yes that's the one!
I think it's a pretty ok price yes and if I don't use more than I did today every time it will last somewhere close to forever :rolleyes: :lol:

Sounds great, I might try it. Will you update with you progress? :)
How much did you use? And do you use it 3 times/week?
Thanks for the answers by the way, thought I would have to order from USA or something. :rolleyes:

eamane
August 21st, 2010, 02:23 PM
Sounds great, I might try it. Will you update with you progress? :)
How much did you use? And do you use it 3 times/week?
Thanks for the answers by the way, thought I would have to order from USA or something. :rolleyes:
I will update my progress yes :) but right now I have kind of sworn off meassuring until Yule, but I will probably notice babyhairs and stuff anyway ;)
I have no idea how often to apply, I did my first this morning and wanted to get some reply's from here first :D

CurlAhead
August 21st, 2010, 03:14 PM
Daktar 2% has a lot of side effects, does anyone know if there is any way to see if I am allergic or so by trying a little "click" on my arm or something? I don't want my face to swell up or something like that :p

eamane
August 21st, 2010, 03:34 PM
Daktar 2% has a lot of side effects, does anyone know if there is any way to see if I am allergic or so by trying a little "click" on my arm or something? I don't want my face to swell up or something like that :p
If you are worried about side effects, do try a little on the inside of your arm just to be safe! That's probably a good idea :)

CurlAhead
August 21st, 2010, 04:14 PM
If you are worried about side effects, do try a little on the inside of your arm just to be safe! That's probably a good idea :)

Should I try it 3 times a week for 1-2 weeks or just once? *I apologize for me and my stupid questions* :p

eamane
August 21st, 2010, 04:34 PM

Should I try it 3 times a week for 1-2 weeks or just once? *I apologize for me and my stupid questions* :p
This I do not know :) Just once might be enough but then, some things doesn't show up until after a while...

goldenoak
August 22nd, 2010, 03:28 PM
Has Monistat failed anyone? It doesn't work for me:( I'm gonna keep trying though..it might be too soon to tell.

McFearless - how long / how much / how often have you been using it?

I've been using for a few weeks and haven't seen massive progress yet, but I'm pretty sure I'm still in the too-soon-to-tell category.

It's a good question though. Has anyone following this thread had no success with MN?

LittleOrca
August 23rd, 2010, 12:41 PM
Alright, so here are my results after a month.

I measured my hair by parting it down the middle and taking a measurement of my virgin length. This is an easier measurement of growth since I am trimming off my ends occasionally and just measuring my ends will make it less accurate. When I measured it on July 22nd, my virgin length was 9 inches overall, 9.25 in some places. Today when I measured, my virgin length was 10.5 inches! That is an increase by 0.75 to 1.5 inches! Normally, I only get 0.5 an inch, even in summer, so this makes me happy I got this and tells me I am going to keep using it. I only applied probably 4-5 times though, and sometimes for only a few hours before the stuff and the headache I had at the time got to me. I only used the 2%, and this makes me want to try the 4%!

CurlAhead
August 23rd, 2010, 12:46 PM
Alright, so here are my results after a month.

I measured my hair by parting it down the middle and taking a measurement of my virgin length. This is an easier measurement of growth since I am trimming off my ends occasionally and just measuring my ends will make it less accurate. When I measured it on July 22nd, my virgin length was 9 inches overall, 9.25 in some places. Today when I measured, my virgin length was 10.5 inches! That is an increase by 0.75 to 1.5 inches! Normally, I only get 0.5 an inch, even in summer, so this makes me happy I got this and tells me I am going to keep using it. I only applied probably 4-5 times though, and sometimes for only a few hours before the stuff and the headache I had at the time got to me. I only used the 2%, and this makes me want to try the 4%!

Oh, that is some growth! Makes me want to try it even more, just that I am afraid I will get all the side effects but NO extra growth.. Oh, oh oh.. It might be worth it. I don't know.

lastnite
August 23rd, 2010, 01:12 PM
It's a good question though. Has anyone following this thread had no success with MN?

yes, good question, I'd like to know too. When I went to Target a few weeks ago the 4% was out of stock... makes me wonder how many people lurk here and are running out to buy this stuff.

now LittleOrca reported alot of growth within a month and her hair is already really long... maybe I should try the 2%.

dropinthebucket
August 23rd, 2010, 01:17 PM
McFearless - how long / how much / how often have you been using it?

I've been using for a few weeks and haven't seen massive progress yet, but I'm pretty sure I'm still in the too-soon-to-tell category.

Me! I tried it for about 5 weeks, no progress to report at all. No headaches or side effects, but it made my hair super greasy, and I had no increase in growth rate. On the other hand, I tried DE and had a growth spurt of .5 inches in the first two weeks - after that, it settled back down to just under .5 inch/per month. Maybe I didn't give the Monistat long enough, but it was just so greasy.....

Centaur
August 23rd, 2010, 01:49 PM
Me! I tried it for about 5 weeks, no progress to report at all. No headaches or side effects, but it made my hair super greasy, and I had no increase in growth rate. On the other hand, I tried DE and had a growth spurt of .5 inches in the first two weeks - after that, it settled back down to just under .5 inch/per month. Maybe I didn't give the Monistat long enough, but it was just so greasy.....

Hmmm...if you decide to try it again, see if you can find the kind without mineral oil in it. Also, try applying it when your hair is wet, using the method of splitting your hair into several parts on each side of your head and applying less of the MN to your scalp - apply a thin strip only. And then massage the MN into your scalp while avoiding your hair as much as possible. Say for example you buy the 3-day supply of the 4&#37; MN, each 1-day tube should yield you at least 2 applications worth of MN...when mixed with water.

Using the above method and product, I did not get greasy hair. If anything, it actually added a little temporary appearance of thickness to my hair at the roots.

BUT...when I used the little tube of 2% that came with my 3-day pack of 4% (the 2% is for external application to the feminine area), my hair DID get greasy. I think that is because the little tube of 2% had mineral oil in it.

CurlAhead
August 24th, 2010, 01:07 PM
I just bought Daktar, should I take some on my fingertips and just rub into my scalp? Once a day? :rolleyes:
Does it matter if the hair is superclean and/or should it be wet?

Centaur
August 24th, 2010, 01:10 PM
I just bought Daktar, should I take some on my fingertips and just rub into my scalp? Once a day? :rolleyes:
Does it matter if the hair is superclean and/or should it be wet?

It doesn't matter if you put it on while your scalp is wet or dry, but it may be easier if to spread over scalp if your scalp is wet.

As to your first question, see my post previous post above yours. I describe how I apply it, although you certainly can experiment with different methods.

CurlAhead
August 24th, 2010, 01:51 PM
It doesn't matter if you put it on while your scalp is wet or dry, but it may be easier if to spread over scalp if your scalp is wet.

As to your first question, see my post previous post above yours. I describe how I apply it, although you certainly can experiment with different methods.

Thank you! :)
I tried a little bit of Daktar on my arm, gojng to do that 2-3 more times to see...
This will be exciting.. :eyebrows:

Centaur
August 24th, 2010, 02:04 PM
Thank you! :)
I tried a little bit of Daktar on my arm, gojng to do that 2-3 more times to see...
This will be exciting.. :eyebrows:

You are most welcome.:)

Have you thought about testing the Daktar on a small section of scalp first, because arm skin is somewhat different than scalp?

CurlAhead
August 24th, 2010, 02:07 PM
You are most welcome.:)

Have you thought about testing the Daktar on a small section of scalp first, because arm skin is somewhat different than scalp?

Oh.. No.. Haha, that might be a good idea. Where do you think is the best place to apply it?

Centaur
August 24th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Oh.. No.. Haha, that might be a good idea. Where do you think is the best place to apply it?

Eh, I don't know - a place where you can easily see where you are applying it and be able to monitor it for any irritation?

CurlAhead
August 25th, 2010, 07:49 AM
Eh, I don't know - a place where you can easily see where you are applying it and be able to monitor it for any irritation?

Thank you, I did that. Woke up with no headache or anything (that I know of?), do you think it is okay to apply on the whole scalp? :cheese:

Centaur
August 25th, 2010, 09:25 AM
Thank you, I did that. Woke up with no headache or anything (that I know of?), do you think it is okay to apply on the whole scalp? :cheese:
I hope so.;) Just monitor your scalp closely for any tenderness and redness and discontinue immediately if that occurs. Good luck.:)

goldenoak
August 25th, 2010, 12:28 PM
Yesterday I discovered that a wee spritzing bottle is a good way to get a dilution spread over the scalp when your hair is dry. I'd been using the fine-tip-bottle technique, but there were always dribbles and patches I could tell I'd missed. Yesterday I tried lifting sections of hair and spritzing the roots of each section, and it felt like I got much better coverage with no dribbles at all!

A little of the dilution did get on my hair, but it surprised me by making it smooth and soft like a leave-in conditioner. An expensive leave-in conditioner, but really not a bad side effect since I was putting it on my head anyway! :D

CurlAhead
August 25th, 2010, 03:36 PM
Yesterday I discovered that a wee spritzing bottle is a good way to get a dilution spread over the scalp when your hair is dry. I'd been using the fine-tip-bottle technique, but there were always dribbles and patches I could tell I'd missed. Yesterday I tried lifting sections of hair and spritzing the roots of each section, and it felt like I got much better coverage with no dribbles at all!

A little of the dilution did get on my hair, but it surprised me by making it smooth and soft like a leave-in conditioner. An expensive leave-in conditioner, but really not a bad side effect since I was putting it on my head anyway! :D

What is a "wee spritzing bottle"?

Btw, my scalp is itching sooo much after I applied it, should it be this way? Don't know if I
managed to cover the whole scalp, just put some on my fingers and rubbed it on my scalp. :D *scratching*

AspenSong
August 25th, 2010, 04:00 PM
I've been reading this thread for a week or so now and the other day I broke down and got some store brand MN to give a whirl since my hair is pretty slow growing and I would welcome any help I can get to pump the growth up!
I got the 2% (all I could find!) and put it on Monday night. Way harder than I expected getting that stuff on my scalp only! But so far, no headaches or anything. I'm going to try to do it 3 times a week, and wait a month (if I can!! hehe) to measure and hopefully I'll get some length out of it!

And I'm thinking of testing it on hubby too. His thick, curly hair is thinning and it's really bothering him....worth a try!

goldenoak
August 26th, 2010, 06:41 AM
What is a "wee spritzing bottle"?

Btw, my scalp is itching sooo much after I applied it, should it be this way? Don't know if I
managed to cover the whole scalp, just put some on my fingers and rubbed it on my scalp. :D *scratching*

It's a 2-oz bottle that I found in the 'carry-on-sized-bottles' section at CVS. It has a little finger pump on top and looks something like this (http://www.franticstamper.com/image/access/spritz%20bottle.jpg). I keep a few for portable "curl-freshener" spritzing on the go. I filled one with about a quarter-inch of water and a 1-inch strip of MN, then shook it up to mix before applying.

I've never had the scalp-itch or headaches, but I'm not sure if that's because I'm just lucky or because I'm diluting before applying. :shrug:

CurlAhead
August 26th, 2010, 07:38 AM
It's a 2-oz bottle that I found in the 'carry-on-sized-bottles' section at CVS. It has a little finger pump on top and looks something like this (http://www.franticstamper.com/image/access/spritz%20bottle.jpg). I keep a few for portable "curl-freshener" spritzing on the go. I filled one with about a quarter-inch of water and a 1-inch strip of MN, then shook it up to mix before applying.

I've never had the scalp-itch or headaches, but I'm not sure if that's because I'm just lucky or because I'm diluting before applying. :shrug:

Hmm.. That looks nice.. Think I have one of those at home. Do you dilute the 2%? Will the effect be the same, with the expected hair growth? Or will it be .. "milder"?

MommyOfStephen
August 26th, 2010, 01:19 PM
I started using the monistat about 1 month ago, and noticed a increase in growth. I also have been a long time user of Knox gellatin. I bleach my hair very light blonde and people expect it to be fried and dead. But I use knox gel once a week. my usual hair growth is less than 1/4" per month. Once I started the knox gel it was 1/2" per month. now that I am using the monistat and the knox gel I get about 1". I have never had hair longer than my just below my shoulders. My hair is just below where my bra snaps are at. 1 inch of growth a month is a great feat for me, I have very fine and thin hair to begin with. Before I used anything on my hair it was very unhealthy and brittle, so it never grew. I also do a lot of blowdrying and curling irons, and other styling tools. I use a thermal protector made by CHI. My hair has a lovely texture and feels great and, with the help of the monistat it grows like a weed now! :cheese:

goldenoak
August 26th, 2010, 03:08 PM
Hmm.. That looks nice.. Think I have one of those at home. Do you dilute the 2&#37;? Will the effect be the same, with the expected hair growth? Or will it be .. "milder"?

I dilute the 2%, and apply the dilution as a leave-in every day. I use about a 1" strip of 2% each morning, which is the same amount I've heard some others say they use straight. The way I see it, that's the same amount of active ingredient each day, and the water dilution just lets me get it more evenly distributed on my scalp. I have no idea if this is true, though! :shrug:

I'm not a good control sample, because I started MN, MSM, and DE within two weeks of each other. It looks like I'm getting about 1/4" a week so far, which is better than my usual 1/2" each month, but it could be one of the other things (or a combination). I know, you're only supposed to try one new thing at once - scientific method and all that - but I was eager to get a jump start. ;) I feel like I've been stuck between earlobe and shoulders forever!

McFearless
August 26th, 2010, 05:46 PM
Canadians you can buy MonistatDerm(just the cream) at Loblaws for almost half the price ShopperDrugMart sells it. :)

Centaur
August 26th, 2010, 07:12 PM
<snip>
I'm not a good control sample, because I started MN, MSM, and DE within two weeks of each other. It looks like I'm getting about 1/4" a week so far, which is better than my usual 1/2" each month, but it could be one of the other things (or a combination). I know, you're only supposed to try one new thing at once - scientific method and all that - but I was eager to get a jump start. ;) <snip>

I am guilty of the same thing.:o

StormVixen
August 27th, 2010, 10:52 AM
Hey,
I just discovered Mycozole Spray (although it is intended for pet use....) http://www.vetmedsdirect.co.uk/products/Mycozole-Spray-50ml.html

This is available in England UK

lillylonghair
August 29th, 2010, 09:53 PM
Does anyone feel like their hair bulked up before it really started growing? I'm not sure if my hair is growing faster than normal but my god it has thickened up like crazy!!!!

eamane
August 30th, 2010, 09:06 AM
Last week I tried Daktar 2% diluted and it didn't feel anything special so today I just put a small amount undiluted on my fingertips and then rubbed it in on the scalp. So far I can't feel any difference at least :)

MonikaHa
August 30th, 2010, 10:20 AM
Does anyone feel like their hair bulked up before it really started growing? I'm not sure if my hair is growing faster than normal but my god it has thickened up like crazy!!!!

YES! No faster growth really, but lots of new hairs.

lillylonghair
August 30th, 2010, 11:42 AM
YES! No faster growth really, but lots of new hairs.

Although,it really has only been like 2 weeks so maybe a good growth spurt is right around the corner!