PDA

View Full Version : The official S&D thread

cookies
April 18th, 2023, 01:50 AM
I haven't seen one yet and just searching for "S&D" gives me zero results (probably too short), so I thought I'd go ahead :)

S&D (Search and Destroy) is the practice of looking for and getting rid of individual split ends. It appears to play a key role in growing long hair - by eliminating the split ends, the need for trims can be drastically reduced.

So here's some questions I'm sure I'm not the first one to have:
0. At what length do you start doing it?

1. How often do you do it?

2. How do you do it?
Do you section your hair and go over all of it in a single session? Or do you just keep the scissors nearby and snip 'em as you see 'em?

3. What do you S&D?
Split ends only? White dots? Hair bends? Ends with changing texture/color?

4. (if not a defined split end) how far up do you cut?

5. How does it affect your hemline/how long or how much before it does?

6. Do you also trim occasionally or is S&D your only maintenance practice in this category?

7. Any additional tips, thoughts or comments?

Aside from that, feel free to share any articles/blog posts that already answer these questions, ask some of your own or just check in for your S&D session!

P.S. Sorry if there actually is a thread somewhere, please do redirect me and delete this one if that's the case, thank you :)

sarana
April 18th, 2023, 04:12 AM
For those who have done S&D for longer, does it help with the velcro ends situation?

mochichichi
April 18th, 2023, 11:33 AM
I started at tailbone length (very recently). I started noticing splits, and I was considering doing my trims myself, so I bought shears. Figured I might as well get rid of the split ends if I have the scissors.

Once a month.

2. How do you do it?
Do you section your hair and go over all of it in a single session? Or do you just keep the scissors nearby and snip 'em as you see 'em?
I put all my hair behind my shoulders, take a small section, go through it, snip what I find, and keep going until I get through it all. I like to do it at my desk with my lamp pointed at me for good contrast. When it's warmer I think I will try doing it out in the sunlight. I keep my scissors nearby to snip if I see something though, because they're so hard to find when I'm actually looking for them.

3. What do you S&D?
Splits and white dots. I don't snip hair bends because I think they often unbend themselves, even the fairly extreme ones. I used to snip light ends, but I've noticed that my hair just has patchy color so I don't think I was actually removing damage that way.

I only snip defined split ends. About 1mm above the split, taking off about 1-2mm if I'm removing a white dot.

I don't know, but I guess I'll find out! I haven't noticed any hemline changes in the last few months (I had a trim in December and S&D once a month since then). I don't expect to see hemline effects because I still plan to do yearly trims. My hemline is usually less patchy and more... scraggly? The ends just point different directions and don't lay nicely. If anything I think this will be decreased by S&D.

6. Do you also trim occasionally or is S&D your only maintenance practice in this category?
I trim once a year, sometimes twice if my hemline looks awful.

I think having it on a schedule is helpful for me to not compulsively S&D all the time. I just tell myself not to look and that I only need to wait x more time.

baanoo
April 18th, 2023, 06:27 PM
My opinion :2cents: ! In the interest of full disclosure I’m terrible about doing S&D regularly even though my fine and wavy hair loooooves to split.

I think I was waist before I started

It *should* probably be about every 6-8 weeks but is realistically more like …4-5 months.

2. How do you do it?

I am not so methodical! I usually just start by wrapping my ends around my finger and trimming splits, wrapping the opposite direction and doing it again, and then sort of haphazardly moving up from there and trimming as I go. I do a few sessions in a few days normally and then ignore it for months.

3. What do you S&D?

Split ends almost entirely.

Hmm, I only really trim split ends but in general I just go a mm or 2 above the clearly damaged area to make sure I don’t inadvertently keep the split/danger zone.

I have never trimmed enough split ends for it to make the slightest bit of difference for me so I cannot honestly say.

I have historically done annual trims but am flirting with the idea of microtrimming at home which might be a better choice for my hair in the long run.

Not really! Except that I used to use embroidery scissors and that was not a good call. I have some cheap hair scissors (cake free with my partner’s trimmer/buzzer) that I use now and it’s much better.

lapis_lazuli
April 18th, 2023, 07:10 PM
I also don't S&D regularly anymore, but I can weigh in from my experience when I did.

TBL, in my first year here when I learned what it was!

Several times a week. I had a lot of damage and it could keep me occupied for a while.

2. How do you do it? Do you section your hair and go over all of it in a single session? Or do you just keep the scissors nearby and snip 'em as you see 'em?
I would just sit at my desk, ends piled in my lap, and turn over and pull apart locks of hair looking for damage. It wasn't a very organized approach; I just focused on the spots that needed the most attention.

3. What do you S&D? Split ends only? White dots? Hair bends? Ends with changing texture/color?
Splits and white dots mostly.

About a cm.

This is why I stopped. I felt like S&D was thinning out my hemline and making it uneven, granted I did it a lot. But in retrospect, it could have also just been how my hair grew when I stopped trimming it, which I wasn't used to.

I can't really remember, but I think I used S&D as a substitute for trimming during that time.

Overall, I phased out of S&D because it was a losing battle for me. I had a lot of bleach damage and there were always new ones to find. It was pretty frustrating and I know if I had kept up with it regularly all these years, I'd have even less ends than I do now. I'm happy with where I'm at now, doing microtrims on a schedule, not obsessing over it, to get rid of the last of the damage.

That being said, sometimes I can't resist the urge if I happen to find a split end while detangling, I'll rummage around my drawer for the scissors just to cut off that one. Lol

Oh, one more: For those who have done S&D for longer, does it help with the velcro ends situation?

I'm not sure, I didn't really pay attention. I only really noticed an improvement when I did trims and more hairs were the same length.

ArtOfNoot
April 18th, 2023, 07:25 PM
Whenever I could pull my ends in front of my face to see them (APL?)
Sporadically- just whenever I notice one that is particularly bad, or if there's a patch of damage
2. How do you do it? Do you section your hair and go over all of it in a single session? Or do you just keep the scissors nearby and snip 'em as you see 'em?
Snip 'em as I see 'em
3. What do you S&D? Split ends only? White dots? Hair bends? Ends with changing texture/color?
Splits and sometimes white dots if, when I push on them, they form a sharp angle in the hair and don't spring back
As low as I can comfortably cut. I'm not too exact though
I have no idea, I did just recently have a good 3" trim because my hemline was thin. However my ends weren't super damaged, so maybe S&Ding was the culprit :shrug: And that trim was after 3 years of only S&D... so 3 years??? I think it depends and YMMV
I use S&D as far as it will take me
I S&D because I am seemingly incapable of stopping myself from ripping and picking my splits. Same reason I bun everyday, to keep the ends out of my reach. S&D is just the most effective way to divert my bad habit

Swune
April 18th, 2023, 10:13 PM
Every few months. I’m aiming to do it maybe 4 times a year now so I can keep better track of how it affects my length.

2. How do you do it?
I tried carrying around scissors but it took too much mental effort to be constantly aware of my hair. Now I only do it when I have a solid chunk of time to dedicate to S&D. I take small sections between my fingers and watch for damage in the hairs that pop out.

3. What do you S&D?
Split ends and more recently white dots.

I am honestly pretty sloppy about it. It could be anywhere from half a centimeter to an inch. I’m the most haphazard when it comes to splits on hairs that are just long enough to see.

It probably thins out my hair a bit, but the noticeable difference in how smooth my hair feels is worth it.

I do a very minor self trim every time I have a full S&D session. I don’t like searching through the very ends of my hair.

I’m working on being more methodical with my trims and S&D. If you’re using the same method as me I also think it’s important to flip your hair section over and repeat the search so you don’t miss anything.

squirrrel
April 19th, 2023, 02:19 AM
Hmmmm

I think I started somewhere between MBL and waist, but it could easily have been earlier. I don’t think there’s a ‘too early’ for this. If you can get your hair over your shoulder and can see splits then you can S&D.

Mostly I only think about it if I see splits

2. How do you do it?

A bit of both? I find that the best place for a five minute session is sat in the car on a sunny day. Most of my splits are in the end of my hair so I concentrate on that area. If I don’t have the time I will just snip the one that caught my attention and snip it before moving on again. I can always find more splits, so…

3. What do you S&D?

Splits, some white dots (if they seem close to snapping off), single strand knots, hidden splits in the length…. Oh, and ends with the extreme crinkling texture that comes if hair has been caught in a zip too. Maybe it would be okay but it feels weird and could be more prone to damage so better to get rid of it and avoid any tangles that might come from it.

As close to whatever damage as I can.

Yeah, I’m pretty sure this is why my ends have a tendency to thin so much, but I do know that some of my splits travel up.

I have done annual trims of a tiny amount. After a proper chop I’m considering quarterly trims for the next little while.

For those who have done S&D for longer, does it help with the velcro ends situation?

Yes, some sessions it has made a difference but it’s possible that on those occasions I might have done better to have a trim…

cookies
April 19th, 2023, 03:29 AM
Thank you for the input everyone, it's very informative!

I forgot to answer my own questions so here I go :D

Just about BSL, two months ago

I don't really have a routine down yet
2. How do you do it?
I snip 'em as I see 'em, I tried the sectioning once though and maybe it's better to just do that once a month, otherwise it seems like I can spend more time on it than I'd like.

3. What do you S&D?
In the beginning, all of the above. I came to realize though that the bends can be unbent, most of the "white dots" are actually lint and my ends are lighter simply because I'm growing bleach out.
So now I just do the split ends only and some white dots that remain there after running the strand between my fingers.

Much further up than I should tbh, up to 2cm. I do it to "make sure" the damaged part is gone (the bleached part can be misleading) and because I don't think about it much.
Will try to change that.

It's only been two months, so no way to tell. I have a trim appointment at the end of June and I'm curious what my hairdresser will have to say about it.

I'd love to move to S&D only with rare trims to even things out if necessary.

sarana as for the velcro ends, my observation so far is that they're a combination of split and dehydrated ends. So S&D would solve half the problem, but probably wouldn't fully fix it.

lapushka
April 19th, 2023, 11:23 AM
Good idea!

You know, I never did / do S&D when I know I have healthy, virgin, all natural, hair. When you have dye? Sure. A perm? Sure? Heat damage? Most certainly!!! I say, though, only do it when you are at a length you can reach and avoid having to squint. At around BSL is fine!

ArtOfNoot
May 12th, 2023, 02:35 PM
I just played a fun game of "Is that a mid-shaft split or am I just seeing double?" for the last 5 minutes :p

giraff
May 20th, 2023, 03:05 AM
I tried several times at apl, but it was very straining. Put it on hold for a while, and at hip it's more doable!

Daily at this point, because it's been half a year since my trim. I also haven't S&D'd in years, and just bought my first ever proper hair cutting scissors. The enthusiasm will surely dab off, knowing myself.

2. How do you do it?
I do a middle part, and make 4 or more sections. Testing out different techniques currently: Pulling sections between fingers, twisting, brushing with brush pointing away from face..
Scissors are kept on a side table next to the sofa, so I also just snip them off as I find them.

3. What do you S&D?
Split ends and white dots.

5 mm above, maybe? I have suspicions that the damage goes further than the eye can see.

I don't know yet.

I trim about once a year. Would like to see if I can go longer this time as long as my hemline looks ok.

Just do it if you find joy in it. I watch/listen to podcasts or shows while I do it, and when I'm fed up, I put the scissors down!

spidermom
May 20th, 2023, 09:47 AM
S&D is such a depressing thing for me to do! Even fresh from a trim, I can always find dozens of them. If I kept going, I'm sure I would find hundreds, maybe even thousands. It makes me feel so discouraged about my hair that I try to avoid it. Sometimes I find myself sitting in good light with scissors nearby and I can't resist a look. After spending a few minutes snipping with no end in sight, I start to hate my hair and want to cut it all off. So I quit and go do something to take my mind off of it.

cookies
May 21st, 2023, 02:59 AM
I’m still having a hard time deciding what and how much to cut when I S&D, my ends can get pretty weird apparently. I also have suspicions damage can go further up, and especially when the texture is different or the bleach ends within 1cm of the split, I do trim it all off. I’m a little anxious about it affecting my hemline but I cant restrain myself until I see it happening or the hairdresser says something about it my next appointment.

spidermom that’s a fear of mine too - especially now that I’m three months post trim, that’s usually when my split ends go wild, which is probably why I’ve been so obsessive about it…
Definitely better not do it if it only makes you feel worse!

giraff
May 21st, 2023, 04:13 AM
cookies I don't see how it can alter the hemline to such an extent that the hair dresser, or someone else, would notice it. It's just single hairs, not chunks, and hair does not grow at a uniform speed anyway. Or do you have experience with the opposite?

cookies
May 21st, 2023, 04:49 AM
cookies I don't see how it can alter the hemline to such an extent that the hair dresser, or someone else, would notice it. It's just single hairs, not chunks, and hair does not grow at a uniform speed anyway. Or do you have experience with the opposite?

I don’t yet, I’ll find out on July 5th (when my appointment is) :D
I’m pretty sure you’re right and I’m just being low key paranoid, because I’m new to this. I’ll be fine either way though, I look at my bleached ends as “margin of error” territory :lol: