PDA

View Full Version : Hair products dissolving nail polish?!

blackgothicdoll
April 17th, 2023, 10:17 PM
I finished stylish my hair and realized my nail polish was almost gone by the time I finished. What on earth in a stylish product would dissolve nail polish? Should I be worried about what it could do to my hair?

Ingredients:

Flaxseed gel (linum usitatissimum (linseed) seed gel), Water (Aqua, Eau), Ceteareth-25, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Peg-7 Glyceryl Cocoate, Propylene Glycol, Peg-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Peg-7 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Natural Fragrance Blend (parfum), Panthenol, Hydrolyzed silk, Yogurt powder, Cocos nucifera (coconut) oil, Simethicone, Caprylhydroxamic acid, Glyceryl caprylate, Glycerin.

It's just an 'edge control' gel that I used to twist my hair.

ArtOfNoot
April 18th, 2023, 12:46 PM
I read this post last night and cant stop thinking about it. It makes no sense to me. Was there anything else you were doing before styling your hair that involved your hands touching a product/chemical/substance? Was the nail polish freshly put on and maybe just rubbed off? There has to be some other reason for this…

MadHouseWitch
April 18th, 2023, 03:10 PM
There is many questions to add in here. What type of polish? Some kids polishes are meant to be "easy to remove". I can't see anything that stands out as a culprit here, it actually seems like a decent hair gel. But there are some oils and alcohols that can react funny with certain paints? I have had some household items turn my polish tacky, most of the time it is cleaners.

I ran over to IsItGC, and Curlsbot just to see what they would say (Curlsbot does NOT approve)

Not that it is a huge help but I don't see any overlap in ingredients on my nail polish removers (one is Acetone so that has... ACETONE in it, and Denatonium Benzoate and that is it LOL)

maybe one of the acids started to soften the polish? I've even done polish over polish for removal in a pinch.

you could look at using gloves, or finding a new gel? Although I concede that I agree it is STRANGE as I truly don't think there is a stand out culprit, but the nail polish in my hair would also concern me. Not that it should really damage it (unless you rip out strands that got stuck together, which would be the case regardless since GEL)

Coconut could do it since it could be the surfactant, that broke it up? But I know that is perfectly safe for hair (so long as one isn't allergic!)

cookies
April 19th, 2023, 08:36 AM
I checked the ingredients of some local drugstore nail polish removers and only one thing stands out to me - "Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride" is pretty high up on the list of most of them.
I doubt that's the same as "Caprylhydroxamic acid, Glyceryl caprylate" but it could have something to do with it? All three appear to be used as preservatives/emollients though.

lapushka
April 19th, 2023, 11:15 AM
How long before styling did you apply polish? Was it dry enough? Did you check after washing your hair as well?

blackgothicdoll
April 19th, 2023, 03:32 PM
I use a clear polish called "nail aid instant manicure". It had been on my nails for at least a week, if not more. I honestly can't remember anything else I may have done, but out of curiosity I'll try painting a nail tonight and putting gel on it tomorrow. I know. It doesn't make sense.

The way it came off once I did notice was that it softened and then just peeled off, became almost mushy. My nails look clean as if I'd intentionally scrubbed off the polish. I'm not crazy I swear! At least I hope I'm not...

lapushka
April 19th, 2023, 04:11 PM
Could just be, if it was over a week old, the "soak" from the wash. Makes a heck of a lot more sense!

Kat
April 20th, 2023, 06:49 AM
The way it came off once I did notice was that it softened and then just peeled off, became almost mushy. My nails look clean as if I'd intentionally scrubbed off the polish. I'm not crazy I swear! At least I hope I'm not...

OTOH... what is this hair styling product???? LOL. I always have such a hard time with nail polish remover that honestly, I usually just let polish chip off my nails naturally... maybe I need this stuff instead!!

spidermom
April 20th, 2023, 09:30 PM
When you get this sorted out, please let us know. I hope it's not a hair care product as removing nail polish would make it corrosive - terrible for hair.

lapushka
April 21st, 2023, 03:01 AM
When you get this sorted out, please let us know. I hope it's not a hair care product as removing nail polish would make it corrosive - terrible for hair.

Nothing like that can even be on the market. In the EU, at least. But something always may go awry.

A gas station here had impurities in the tank, so much so that cars just up and started stalling all over the place.