PDA

View Full Version : What are your favourite low-irritation shampoos?

mortuseon
March 28th, 2023, 07:39 AM
Hello,

I had a quick look for 'eczema' and 'fragrance' on the search but didn't see anything recent matching my query, so I hope a fresh thread is okay. I'm interested in shampoos that are good for hair, that ALSO don't irritate skin.

For context, I have chronic eczema on my hands which is irritated by ingredients in a lot of shampoos. I've seen dermatologists since childhood, been on many a steroid and even immunosuppressants, had allergy tests, replaced all my hand/body soaps etc. with a special lotion, moisturise often, etc. etc. I also tried washing my hair with gloves, but it's a huge pain and it appeared I was allergic to the gloves. :rolleyes: Point being, this is medically managed as much as possible - but I still need to make lifestyle changes if I want to keep the skin on my hands :)

I'm interested if anyone has tried any shampoos formulated for skin prone to irritation. Some examples I've read about, but not tried - would love to hear your reviews:

Vanicream Free & Clear (have heard this is harsh on hair)
Philip Kingsley No Scent No Colour
Four Reasons No Nothing

I don't have a definitive list of things I am sensitive to, because my skin is just generally reactive. So anything formulated for generally sensitive skin is worth a mention. Frequent offenders on ingredients lists include:

SDS
Fragrance
Cocodamipropyl betaine (often in sulphate-free shampoos)
Methylisothiazolinone (preservative)
Essential oils (though not always an issue)

Right now I actually use a whipped soap once a week as the lack of traditional preservatives seems to reduce blistering, but it does still dry out my hands and (I suspect) my hair. So I am curious if anyone with sensitive skin has shampoo recommendations that are also tress-friendly. I do try to just wash less often as even wetting/drying skin is bad for it, but it's hard for me to go longer than 1x/wk when regularly exercising!

Thanks in advance if you have any recommendations or reviews!

Obsidian
March 28th, 2023, 11:36 AM
I don't have a shampoo to recommend but have you ever tried soap nuts? I've heard they are gentle and you wouldn't have to worry about typical shampoo chemicals

lapushka
March 29th, 2023, 03:39 PM
Heard good things about the Vanicream (not heard that it is in any way "harsh").

clairenewcastle
March 29th, 2023, 04:08 PM
I see that you're in the UK. I highly recommend Faith in Nature's Fragrance Free Shampoo, it doesn't have any fragrance, essential oils, colour, parabens or SLS/SLES.

I just love their whole range of shampoos and conditioners as well as their body washes.

I had really bad eczema on my hands and arms for years. I found I was allergic to plants....leaves, stems, flowers - the lot.

Joliebaby
March 30th, 2023, 12:48 AM
My absolutely favorite ever, and I will not even try any other shampoos now, is the Finnish natural brand Saaren Taika ("Island Magic"). Their sea buckthorn-calendula shampoo and conditioner got rid of my scalp problems. I used to battle with dandruff and itchiness. I started to use this and fell in love at the first try. The shampoo is no sulphates, no cones. You rub the conditioner on the scalp as well. With these, I don't have to wash as often as I don't get the itchies. I can easily go two weeks between washes, and at most I wash once a week. The scent is mild. They leave my hair clean and soft.

lapushka
March 30th, 2023, 08:54 AM
For me personally that would be Urtekram, especially the rose one, the lavender, the rosemary (for fine hair), the nettle and I had the unscented body wash, which was awesome as well.

mortuseon
April 1st, 2023, 03:24 AM
Amazing, thank you all so much for these suggestions! I've made a list and I'll have a look for them in my local shops. The sea buckthorn is especially intriguing as I use a sea buckthorn serum on my face (stratia liquid gold) that seems to soothe irritation a lot, so it sounds like a really promising option. Really appreciate it - will report back if I try any of them :)

Joyful Mystery
April 4th, 2023, 11:51 AM
I have allergic contact dermatitis. It took me years to figure out what my hair and skin agree on. Here are the products I use and love:

Vanicream shampoo and matching conditioner. Fragrance free, sulfate free, betaine free.

DHS Clear Shampoo and DHS Conditioning Rinse. Both are fragrance free. The shampoo DOES contain cocamidopropyl Betaine and SLES but I’m personally okay with those ingredients.

AFM Safe Choice Shampoo & Body Wash. Fragrance free. It does contain SLES. I use this for more of a clarifying shampoo once or twice a month and only a tiny amount because it can be drying.

Cleure Conditioner. Fragrance free.

For oils I stick with high-quality food-grade oils like olive, avocado, and occasionally coconut.

Good luck figuring out what works for you :blossom:

AlixSophia
April 4th, 2023, 12:31 PM
Urtekram (Danish brand) Lavender

Hedera
April 4th, 2023, 02:20 PM
Yup, I was also thinking of soapnuts, as mentioned upthread; or washing with (a paste made from) rye flour.

Egg wash might be good as well (egg, vinegar, honey, use cool/lukewarm water or risk scrambled egg!), but the vinegar would probably sting.

Clay wash is also an option (good but messy)

In general, you might want to investigate washing methods that only use 1 or 2 ingredients - the less chance, hopefully, that something will irritate your skin.

Oh, but please avoid using baking soda for hairwashing: it was very popular a while ago, but it's *incredibly* harsh.

Hedera
April 4th, 2023, 02:21 PM
Yup, I was also thinking of soapnuts, as mentioned upthread; or washing with (a paste made from) rye flour.

Egg wash might be good as well (egg, vinegar, honey, use cool/lukewarm water or risk scrambled egg!), but the vinegar would probably sting.

Clay wash is also an option (good but messy)

In general, you might want to investigate washing methods that only use 1 or 2 ingredients - the less chance, hopefully, that something will irritate your skin.

Oh, but please avoid using baking soda for hairwashing: it was very popular a while ago, but it's *incredibly* harsh.

SeppV
April 4th, 2023, 03:05 PM
I second the warning about baking soda!
I have read somewhere that clay can be very alkaline too... but maybe it depends. I just remember reading that, and it scared me from trying it on my hair.

mortuseon
April 5th, 2023, 05:08 PM
I think vinegar or baking soda would probably irritate my hands, too, so no risk of me trying that! Thank you for the warning, though :) The honey and rye are interesting options, had never heard of those used a a shampoo!