PDA

View Full Version : Experience with steam or infrared straiteners??

V Fox
March 27th, 2023, 03:26 PM
Hi. Looking for styling that's less damaging. If anyone has tried these or one that does both I would love to hear your thoughts 😊 Thanks!!

lapushka
March 27th, 2023, 05:57 PM
Hi. Looking for styling that's less damaging. If anyone has tried these or one that does both I would love to hear your thoughts �� Thanks!!

It's a fad. They get just as hot, if not hotter (steam can be *hot*) than a regular straightener. I would quit straightening if you want to grow healthy. Heat damage is a real thing and can cause a lot of breakage along the strand, making the hair mechanically cut itself off.

embee
March 28th, 2023, 05:52 AM
Steam always makes my hair curl up.... at least when I'm in the kitchen cooking, and that's where the steam is coming from. :)

illicitlizard
April 1st, 2023, 09:01 PM
Never tried unfortunately, but even if they happen to be less hot and thus less damaging, any amount of heat styling is unfortunately going to damage the hair. Particularly if used reasonably often over the time period it takes to get truly long hair.

illicitlizard
April 1st, 2023, 09:02 PM
Steam always makes my hair curl up.... at least when I'm in the kitchen cooking, and that's where the steam is coming from. :)

Steam refreshing has been a thing in the curly/wavy styling community (at least on youtube) for a little bit now. Humidity often makes people's hair spring up more!