PDA

View Full Version : Others who need several brushes for one brushing session?

Priska
March 23rd, 2023, 06:35 AM
Usually when I start brushing my hair, there are already some tangles there. Maybe not so severe, but anyway. Now when my hair is long, brushing it through is greater challenge than before. I can not even think about starting brushing my hair with those brushes that I use last. First I use my softer boar bristle brush, that is like made for babies' hair. Then I use soft tangle teezer with bending bristles (when it counters a tangle, it doesn't rip it but bends and dodges the tangle -but it also doesn't solve the worst tangles). Then my harsher bb brush. As last step I use my Denman brush or some ordinary brush, really to kill and terminate the last knots that still are there somewhere inside. (Denman brush is really great, maybe best for my hair type, because it doesn't tear my strands, because the bristles are so many and dense, but in the beginning it doesn't get through my hair & tangles.)

I really think that different levels of tangles need different brushes. Then I maybe braid my hair and hope that I don't need to think about brushing my hair in a while...

lapushka
March 23rd, 2023, 08:40 AM
Nobody should have hair that sounds that tangly. Do you clarify regularly?

Ylva
March 23rd, 2023, 08:44 AM

I didn’t get the impression that Priska’s hair is somehow abnormally tangly - just that she recognises she has different types of tangles and prefers to deal with them with different tools.

That being said, I use only my fingers and a Tangle Teezer, although I see your point about different tools for different scenarios and it sounds reasonable.

neko_kawaii
March 23rd, 2023, 09:09 AM
I use one medium toothed comb for everything, but I definitely use different techniques for different types of tangles.

foreveryours
March 23rd, 2023, 09:21 AM
I use a wide tooth comb almost exclusively to align strands after washing but a wet brush does a better job pulling out any sheds caught in the length when I'm done

lapushka
March 23rd, 2023, 10:38 AM
I didn’t get the impression that Priska’s hair is somehow abnormally tangly - just that she recognises she has different types of tangles and prefers to deal with them with different tools.

That being said, I use only my fingers and a Tangle Teezer, although I see your point about different tools for different scenarios and it sounds reasonable.

My gosh, I panic when I can't easily brush through. Then I start to look at my routine.

Priska
March 23rd, 2023, 11:28 AM
I'm happy if there are just normal tangles, that I get open with different brushes in 10-15 minutes 😅 without a great damage. That's easy game... But it only takes for example two nights in hospital with my child without hair brush or hair tie and I have tangles that I must clear 7 hours. That's what I find a severe situation too.

I think it's just my hair type. It means lots of taking care if it, I know. Anyway I can make it look good, I wish I knew how I can send photos here...

Priska
March 23rd, 2023, 11:39 AM

I have a clarifying shampoo in my bathroom and I have been using it but I find using it a bit challenging... I used to use it a lot, and I felt it started to dry my hair. So I don't know when I just worsen the situation with using clarifying shampoo. Dry hair can be due to using clarifying shampoo as well as a sign of need of clarifying shampoo. I haven't solved this mystery yet...

lapushka
March 23rd, 2023, 11:40 AM
I'm happy if there are just normal tangles, that I get open with different brushes in 10-15 minutes �� without a great damage. That's easy game... But it only takes for example two nights in hospital with my child without hair brush or hair tie and I have tangles that I must clear 7 hours. That's what I find a severe situation too.

I think it's just my hair type. It means lots of taking care if it, I know. Anyway I can make it look good, I wish I knew how I can send photos here...

I use imgur for pictures, and the albums. You just make a public album on here, and link it. I'm sure someone else can help you out more in how to do it, because it's been a long time for me.

mochichichi
March 23rd, 2023, 11:42 AM
I don't know if I need to do this, but I use finger combing + 2 brushes. I finger comb/detangle to be very careful and gentle, get everything lined up nice and catch small tangles that I didn't get finger combing with my TT, then use a paddle brush (previously a Denman knockoff, now a TEK) to pierce through all my hair, smooth it out, and distribute oils.

I've tried skipping finger combing or the TT and I just get so much more tugging and snagging, and my hair doesn't really feel brushed/neat until I've "polished" it with bristles that can really get all the way through it. The TT makes it to my scalp if I press down with it, but it's just not the same.

Of the Fae
March 23rd, 2023, 12:08 PM
I do, I use a tangle teezer and my fingers for detangling, and then a bristle brush to distribute oils. Fingers are used for the tangled that get in the nape of my neck and really need some time and care to remove. But all in all I'm usually done in 5 minutes even though I consider my hair very tangle prone. I don't wear it down since recently because I have reached a length that makes it get everywhere. If I braid or bun during the day I am almost tangle free:)!

blackgothicdoll
March 23rd, 2023, 02:40 PM
I use fingers or wide tooth comb, then wet brush, then TT. A lot of that is to gradually and thoroughly remove my shed hairs. I also brush my hair in sections in the shower, rotating utensil based on which stage of wash I'm at.

Jools69
March 26th, 2023, 03:20 AM
I only use one boar bristle brush, but only after detangling with a wide tooth comb (stopping at the knot/tangle and then using my fingers). Otherwise, my fine, thin hair would snap or the brush would get stuck, if I didn’t detangle before brushing.

angel-baby
March 27th, 2023, 11:21 AM
I detangle with a tangle teezer or wood comb, and brush and style my hair with a wooden brush

Gibson_Girl
March 27th, 2023, 05:01 PM
I use two—I start out with my Tangle Teezer (which I loathe, but that’s another matter entirely), and then my boar bristle brush. I don’t have too many tangles these days, though—probably because I keep my hair almost exclusively up—so I can get away with just the bbb a lot of the time.

sarana
March 27th, 2023, 07:16 PM
Yeah! I use 1-4 brushes depending on the occasion.

First I separate my hair into sections with my fingers

Then I try to detangle each section with a wide tooth comb

If there's a matted section the comb cannot solve, I take my paddle brush and start to dig into the matt from the side

When everything is unmatted and detangled, I go over with the paddle brush for a sleeker result

Finally, if I'm so inclined I might finish with my goat bristle brush to distribute oils and make it even more sleek