PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone here use purple shampoo or conditioner?

Sarahlabyrinth
March 16th, 2023, 03:18 AM
Wondering if anyone uses it and if so, which one and how do you use it?

GordonMurphella
March 16th, 2023, 06:01 AM
I use the Tresemme purple conditioner every once in a while; it's inexpensive and pleasant to use. If you like a conditioner cleanser you cannot go wrong with Keracolor in Platinum, or a very old standby .. ManicPanic Virgin Snow. I don't care for purple shampoos, personally.

Sarahlabyrinth
March 16th, 2023, 07:40 AM
I use the Tresemme purple conditioner every once in a while; it's inexpensive and pleasant to use. If you like a conditioner cleanser you cannot go wrong with Keracolor in Platinum, or a very old standby .. ManicPanic Virgin Snow. I don't care for purple shampoos, personally.

So do you use the conditioner on wet, damp or dry hair and how long do you leave it on for?

WednesdayAddams
March 16th, 2023, 09:19 AM
When I had my hair highlighted I used to make blue/purple conditioner. I used Manic Panic (tiny bit) in conditioner. I left it for just a few minutes. Usually I used Ultra Violet.

Sarahlabyrinth
March 16th, 2023, 09:55 AM
When I had my hair highlighted I used to make blue/purple conditioner. I used Manic Panic (tiny bit) in conditioner. I left it for just a few minutes. Usually I used Ultra Violet.

Oh, ok - I wouldn't have thought of mixing it with normal conditioner, thank you.

Dark40
March 16th, 2023, 05:30 PM
I use Clairol Shimmer Lights purple Shampoo and Conditioner once or twice a month.

Bat
March 16th, 2023, 07:20 PM
Wondering if anyone uses it and if so, which one and how do you use it?

I did when blond I used Olaplex P4 it's the best purple shampoo I used a little bit for 1 minute or two on damp hair

I'd be careful using deposit dyes for toning it has more of a risk of sticking and overtoning

GordonMurphella
March 17th, 2023, 04:55 AM
So do you use the conditioner on wet, damp or dry hair and how long do you leave it on for?

I just use it as a regular conditioner and leave it under a shower cap for the duration of my shower. The Keracolor I use on dry hair and leave it for a bit before getting in the shower and rinsing it out. When I've used Manic Panic I've done it full strength, as I'm fully silver and it just brightens things up.

I have had no issues with overtoning. Ever. Hope this helps Sarahlabyrinth. I've always admired your beautiful hair.

Aerya
March 17th, 2023, 06:05 AM
I do occasionally use the Fanola No Yellow mask, although it is not too effective on my darker hair. I typically leave it in for a while, but again, my hair is darker, and it takes more to make a difference in the shade. I have tried purple shampoos too when I had lighter hair, but I was never too happy with them. They dried out my hair and stained my scalp purple. The toning didn't work properly either, the healthier bits stayed warm and the more porous parts turned lavender. But a lot of people swear by purple shampoo so YMMV.

I know a lot of people use deposit dyes to tone, diluted with conditioner. It's often cheaper and the shade can be tailored to your hair, as well as being able to mix it with a conditioner that your hair likes. I'll probably try it myself in the future, as my hair leans orange and I'd need blue to tone that properly. Of course, it's all about finding the right ratio, and it's better to start out with a very diluted mix to avoid overtoning, or just doing strand tests.

Maria Nila has a range of color depositing masks, some of which are meant to tone blonde hair. They are a bit pricey, but the color effect is good, and I like them as a conditioner mask too. :)

GordonMurphella
March 17th, 2023, 07:15 AM
I know a lot of people use deposit dyes to tone, diluted with conditioner. It's often cheaper and the shade can be tailored to your hair, as well as being able to mix it with a conditioner that your hair likes. I'll probably try it myself in the future, as my hair leans orange and I'd need blue to tone that properly. Of course, it's all about finding the right ratio, and it's better to start out with a very diluted mix to avoid overtoning, or just doing strand tests.

If ManicPanic is available to you, Blue Steel was helpful to me neutralizing my orangy ends while I grew out my grey.

Aerya
March 17th, 2023, 07:34 AM
If ManicPanic is available to you, Blue Steel was helpful to me neutralizing my orangy ends while I grew out my grey.

Thank you!! I will see if I can find it :flower:

Sarahlabyrinth
March 17th, 2023, 08:20 AM
Thank you all, I have ordered some Tressemé!

Joyful Mystery
March 17th, 2023, 09:25 AM
Having silver hair I have wanted to try it, however, I have allergic contact dermatitis and I highly doubt my skin would like it.

janice2348
April 10th, 2023, 08:53 PM
I use Jhiirmack silver brightening shampoo to keep the white in my hair from turning yellow. It does dry my hair out though. I use it as a regular shampoo about twice a month. I condition really well afterwards.