PDA

View Full Version : Products that are becoming hard to find.

lapushka
March 11th, 2023, 10:48 AM
I read a post by Ylva talking about how she couldn't get a particular product by a certain brand for the same amount of money. Is it going out of stock? Hard to find? Why?

This gave me the idea for this thread.

Post your issues, troubles, if you have trouble finding a certain product. Someone else over the globe might be able to give you hints, might be able to help you out (by sending you stuff, who knows), we'll just see where this goes... shall we? ;)

Anyway... yeah... the stage is yours!

Ada-banana
March 11th, 2023, 01:24 PM
Yes! BAQ henna nearby when I wanted it (maybe a good thing though, as I wasn't sure if I wanted to do it). I have to order from the internet, which I do often but somehow I'm reluctant to do it with hair care products. Now I'm searching for cassia or Alma, which I have to order too.
And haircare products without protein and with moisturizing qualities.

Does this count?

lapushka
March 11th, 2023, 03:13 PM
For sure it counts!!! Thanks for posting. I believe there are *great* online sources for BAQ henna; sure people here can help out!

ProfessorPuffin
March 11th, 2023, 03:24 PM
This is going to vary based on where you live, but if you have an Indian grocery store nearby you may be able to find amla powder there. As a bonus you'd probably avoid some of the "hot new beauty thing" markup you'd get buying it from somewhere else.

lapushka
March 11th, 2023, 05:50 PM
This is going to vary based on where you live, but if you have an Indian grocery store nearby you may be able to find amla powder there. As a bonus you'd probably avoid some of the "hot new beauty thing" markup you'd get buying it from somewhere else.

Also sometimes dangerous because they might also sell "black henna", which is usually a PPD product.

ProfessorPuffin
March 11th, 2023, 06:22 PM
Oh yeah, my understanding is that with henna you really have to make sure your trust the brand, but amla is a little less dangerous in that regard.

embee
March 12th, 2023, 07:39 AM
I don't see spin-pins anywhere in the stores now. They've just vanished. Annoying that I'll have to go online to buy such a little thing and pay postage.

lapushka
March 12th, 2023, 08:40 AM
I don't see spin-pins anywhere in the stores now. They've just vanished. Annoying that I'll have to go online to buy such a little thing and pay postage.

They were immensely popular a while ago. Ebay?

lapushka
March 12th, 2023, 08:41 AM

They were immensely popular a while ago. Ebay? I got mine for cheap from China, but now you have to pay import duties even for something that costs half a euro. Used to be you could buy whatever you wanted outside the EU for under about €20. Not anymore. And, to get back to what I was saying, they do the job well enough, need some sanding, but that's about it. Wouldn't get one with embellishments such as a pearl on top, that will topple off in a heart beat. :lol:

Dark40
March 12th, 2023, 11:07 AM
What a good idea to start this thread! For a lot of years I've been having problems finding the ,"Vintage Pantene Pro-V," hair products the one where they were all of the shampoos and conditioners were made in all four versions. Shampoo and conditioner made for fine hair, Dry or Damaged Hair, Permed and Color-Treated Hair, and the other one for normal hair. I was wondering if anyone knew a store over the globe where I can find these products?

renia22
March 12th, 2023, 11:17 AM
What a good idea to start this thread! For a lot of years I've been having problems finding the ,"Vintage Pantene Pro-V," hair products the one where they were all of the shampoos and conditioners were made in all four versions. Shampoo and conditioner made for fine hair, Dry or Damaged Hair, Permed and Color-Treated Hair, and the other one for normal hair. I was wondering if anyone knew a store over the globe where I can find these products?

Those were great versions of them, and I loved them too. Anything that gets discontinued, your best bet is to try discount/ close out stores (in the US at least) like Ocean State Job Lot, McFrugals, Big Lots, Etc. However, those were discontinued so long ago, I think any old stock that was still kicking around is long gone.

I think stores like that can be helpful for more recent discontinuations, though. Clairol Condition hairspray and mousse recently disappeared off shelves (very few places carried them still, as it was), and I found some at Ocean State Job Lot recently.

Something that was discontinued as long ago as those Pantene ones, you could also try to see if anyone is selling it on eBay, but the price will probably be crazy high.

lapushka
March 12th, 2023, 11:50 AM
In my Lidl they do still sell the Pantene in a "box set", so 4 "versions", but there's the classic, color, volume, and anti-dandruff in the "set". It's very different than what was before.

BTW, do Pantene do the anti-dandruff all over the world, or maybe it's a European thing. I have never heard Americans talk about an anti-dandruff Pantene shampoo before.

pisinoe
March 12th, 2023, 01:48 PM
Kérastase liter bottles :( only sold to salons now, I'm still pissed

lapushka
March 12th, 2023, 01:59 PM

And the salon can't sell one to you? Usually they do that (but the prices may be a little "rough").

renia22
March 12th, 2023, 07:36 PM
^Pantene dandruff shampoo is not part of the current US line up, but for some reason I think I remember it existed here at one point? But when I look it up, websites do pop up that are selling Malaysian ones.

Dark40
March 12th, 2023, 07:59 PM
Those were great versions of them, and I loved them too. Anything that gets discontinued, your best bet is to try discount/ close out stores (in the US at least) like Ocean State Job Lot, McFrugals, Big Lots, Etc. However, those were discontinued so long ago, I think any old stock that was still kicking around is long gone.

I think stores like that can be helpful for more recent discontinuations, though. Clairol Condition hairspray and mousse recently disappeared off shelves (very few places carried them still, as it was), and I found some at Ocean State Job Lot recently.

Something that was discontinued as long ago as those Pantene ones, you could also try to see if anyone is selling it on eBay, but the price will probably be crazy high.

I bet you also used to love those great versions also. Oh yeah, I wish that I had thought of discount/ close out stores (in the US at least) Thank you so much for all of the information of the stores that I can find some of the old products. Yes, I also think that any old stock kicking around is long gone too. I have checked on eBay to see if someone was setting the products on there, and they were at a very crazy high price is right.

Shorty89
March 12th, 2023, 08:44 PM

Do you have a Shoppers Drug Mart nearby? I've seen them there recently.

ETA: I haven't seen Pantene Ice Shine around for a couple of years. It was my go-to shampoo when I needed to actually shampoo.

caissafrass
March 14th, 2023, 01:41 PM
There used to be a vendor at my local farmers market who sold this really fantastic goat milk/honey shampoo and conditioner. They've since vanished and I haven't any idea where to find them or something similar.

pisinoe
March 15th, 2023, 11:34 AM
And the salon can't sell one to you? Usually they do that (but the prices may be a little "rough").

I've never seen the liter size for sale from salons but if they mark it up as much as they do with the small bottles, I'm better off buying online during sales haha

Vara La Fey
April 12th, 2023, 07:05 PM
Anything that gets discontinued, your best bet is to try discount/ close out stores (in the US at least) like Ocean State Job Lot, McFrugals, Big Lots, Etc.

Thanks for that info.

My fave conditioner, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle, was discontinued. I haven't checked the stores you mention, but I will. A few Amazon/eBay sellers do still have it, and price is often reasonable, but shipping is outrageous.

Vara La Fey
April 12th, 2023, 07:14 PM
If your product is discontinued (like my beloved Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle), best thing might be to get the ingredient list or a pic of the ingredient list on the bottle, from any source you can find, and try to find replacement products with close to that formula. I keep that stuff in a spreadsheet because I've battled discontinuations all my life in every area OF my life. I'm just too niche of a person to fit in particularly well.

ArtOfNoot
April 12th, 2023, 07:16 PM

I've been using the same spin pins for years! I never thought about it, but they totally used to be everywhere.

My local Ulta has them in-store, maybe yours does too? They aren't the super long ones though :(

enfys
April 12th, 2023, 08:17 PM

Is it for the shampoos or the conditioners? They've started doing 500ml refills in a plastic bag, and have a refillable 500ml metal bottle, but I've only seen that for the shampoo.

Based on RRP it's maybe 20% cheaper to buy that way, but I stock up when there are extra offers on top of that because it's not much cheaper.

SeppV
April 12th, 2023, 11:10 PM
I found a silicone free Head & Shoulders shampoo in a shop where I live, Normal is the name of the store. But then they suddenly didn't have it anymore, and I have seen it nowhere since. Wish I could find it again. I'm sure it wasn't that popular.

lapushka
April 13th, 2023, 10:03 AM
I found a silicone free Head & Shoulders shampoo in a shop where I live, Normal is the name of the store. But then they suddenly didn't have it anymore, and I have seen it nowhere since. Wish I could find it again. I'm sure it wasn't that popular.

I think (if I know what you mean) we have a shop like that here in Belgium, called "Action" (http://www.action.be). It's got loads of shampoos and conditioners that you can no longer find places, often larger sizes. They had my beloved Aqua Light, but I can't get to that store right now. My dad would have my hide (I can spend *hours* there, we have to take the wheelchair then which is difficult in and of itself) and my mom can't take me right now with her (still healing) broken foot.

OMG, just look... €1.99... drooling here! :(
https://www.action.com/nl-be/search/?q=aqua+light